Author Topic: Explaining the DVD collection hobby  (Read 16157 times)

Offline av_phile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music & Video Lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Explaining the DVD collection hobby
« Reply #60 on: Sep 10, 2003 at 05:56 PM »
Reason #1:  The title is much too good to pass up. A real collector's item.  

Reason #2:   My son made me buy it.

Reason #3:   It's my gift to you. You loved the film when we saw it in the theater, remember?

Reason #4:   It's on half=price sale.

Reason #5:   It's a gift from a colleague, tinmad lang mag-wrap.

Reason #6:   It's pirated.  See, no inserts!!

Reason #7:   I need it for my master's class in humanities.

Reason #8:   I have to replace the one I gave my cousin, borther, sister, etc...

Reason #9:   It's buy one take one.

Reason #10: I  must have picked the wrong package by mistake.

Offline T-850

• DVD Addict
  • you are TERMINATED!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Sep 15, 2003 at 05:59 PM »
i only collect special edition.. yung pang collectible talaga.. the dvds that are really woth buying.. the documentaries.. the commentaries.. the easter eggs.. none of them can be found on VCDs and laserdiscs etc.. :)

Offline MonO

• Apprentice
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Sep 16, 2003 at 01:56 PM »
I think it can all be summed up in one word: "Satisfaction!"  ;D

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Sep 26, 2003 at 03:22 PM »
I think it can all be summed up in one word: "Satisfaction!"  ;D

i agree.

then again, it seems like i can't get enough satisfaction. hehehe.
Quo vadis?

Offline Onion Skin

• Collector
  • my hand print
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Sep 26, 2003 at 03:56 PM »
Tamad lang akong manood ng sine, sa DVD na lang ako.

Offline pointman1

• Apprentice
  • raising the standard!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Oct 02, 2003 at 04:18 PM »
First, it's for the sake of collecting. I like to buy movies which for me are worth keeping and i can let my kids watch them in the future. (my eldest is due december!  ;D :D ;) :))

Kind of movies that helped shaped their dad's passion.  ;D

I get this self satisfaction inside me when i look at my dvd's.

Lastly, the special features - behind the scenes, easter eggs, alternate endings, etc.

;D :) ;D

Offline AVDude

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Oct 02, 2003 at 09:48 PM »
As in any collection....pag dumadami na sila..mas masaya  ;D

I've been into collecting since i was in high school...i started w/ stamps then coins then toys now..dvds na  ;D

hirap talaga i-explain yun pagkakaroon ng collection..some people think its a waste of time and money..pero for me ..as long as it makes me happy..i just look the other way  ;)

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 02:01 AM »
First, it's for the sake of collecting. I like to buy movies which for me are worth keeping and i can let my kids watch them in the future. (my eldest is due december!  ;D :D ;) :))

Medyo OT pero congrats to you boss pointman1!
Pero tama ka... We can at least pass along to our kids our passion and collection to our kids someday.

Offline pointman1

• Apprentice
  • raising the standard!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Oct 03, 2003 at 03:03 PM »
Medyo OT pero congrats to you boss pointman1!
Pero tama ka... We can at least pass along to our kids our passion and collection to our kids someday.

thanks boss TOTI! :)

some of my friends can't understand why i buy original  DVD's...well, what works for me might not work for them... ;D

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #69 on: Oct 04, 2003 at 04:48 AM »
I collect movies, not DVDs. It just so happens that films on DVD are of better quality than VCD, and disks are more durable than tapes.

I don't have time to watch lots of movies, and I don't want to waste money investing in movies that most have seen and that are readily available, so I collect the good stuff, like the top 100 recommended by film critics.

It's more important for me to become enlightened and to be appreciative of complex films and to be entertained in the process than just to be entertained.

Kawawa yung gumagastos sa DVD only because it's a new toy for them and because pop movies look and sound nicer. When they replace DVD with another format, gastos nanaman sila! Sayang na yung pera, sayang pa yung oras.

The DVD format is the ultimate home movie experience at this day and age (widely available to the mass market -- I'm sure meron kokontra sa statement ko eh ;D ), and it will probably stay this way within the next decade.  Personally I'm into original DVD for 3 main reasons.  Clearest video, genuine 5.1 surround experience (please note that p*rated DVDs usually only re-creates the 5.1 sound, and doesn't copy the original 5.1 tracks), and flawless subtitles.

If you're really into movies, and film-making, you'd want to get the best edition out there (special, director's, ultimate, criterion, etc.).  Supplementary materials would be half your investment.

Mas masahol pa nga ako eh.  Not only do I prefer original DVDs.  Dapat Region 1 pa.  It's not a colonial mentality thing.  I'm thinking long-term.  With our economic/political times now, I'm thinking portability.

But I have to admit, with the hard times we're having right now, I'm also thinking of liquidating my assets.  If only I can find someone rich who wants to start a DVD collection, and wants to have one instantly...  :-\  *sigh*  Asa pa ako...
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2003 at 04:51 AM by paolorenzo »

Offline L O R D

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Be happy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Oct 04, 2003 at 08:19 AM »
I can't explain it myself. I just want to have as many dvds as possible. Im an addict ??? ;D

Offline DVDeophile

• Collector
  • DVD RULES!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 12:04 PM »
I think there's no exact explanantion. For me, I've been through collecting Beta, VHS, Laser Discs, VCDs but the ultimate format is DVD! Nothing compares to DVD when it comes to resolution, high fidelity sound, features and packaging.
With proper care, DVDs will last for a lifetime. Nothing beats that! ;)

Offline pumpy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Oct 13, 2003 at 11:34 PM »
Here's the bad news: once they come up with another format, DVD will become obsolete. After that, they'll stop manufacturing or even supporting DVD players. Then we'll have to spend all over again on a new format.

With regards to original DVDs, producers are using the same tactics as they did with audio CDs. First, they promote audio CDs, saying that the price will go down eventually. The result? They stopped support for LPs, forcing LP collectors to upgrade to CDs. Meanwhile, they kept the price of CDs relatively high. Their mistake was that they began investing in manufacturing and selling CD burners and disks.

Notice the same trends in DVD marketing. They dump the old stuff or plain editions and then release and rerelease "new" or "special" editions with incremental features. In many cases, they just add features that they get cheap or free. Examples include covers and plastic cases which cost only a few cents.

Two years ago, a news item mentioned that several actors and directors now want to charge thousands of dollars for the interviews and commentaries, too. Except producers to add that tab to the price of the product.

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Oct 14, 2003 at 01:10 AM »
dvd's are convenient, attractively packed and a great quality source of entertainment if proper choice of titles and equipment are used. also, it finally gives us control to do our own programming of what we want to watch, when we want it, with no censorship by overzealous censors,  with no commercials and at a quality that was only possible in theaters a few years ago. Dvd is now no longer state of the art but who cares about that except for a few who are pushing the envelope. Rather than the abrupt dropoff that laserdisc and vhs encountered, dvds will continue to have a place in the consumer entertainment arena although i do forecast that higher capacity, better compression algorhythms and no more need for those pesky layer changes in the near future for the new HD-DVD's.

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Oct 14, 2003 at 01:15 AM »
also unlike vhs which i ultimately found to be a very fragile format - fungus prone, easy to get stuck in the player, inconvenient (who remembers and misses rewinding?), dvds are durable (except for those batches of certain titles which seem to exhibit  dvd rot - dr. zhivago, superman) and do offer additional value that wasn't there when we first saw it in the theater.

Offline pumpy

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Oct 14, 2003 at 06:04 PM »
The plastic cases, the labels, and the thin leaflets cost only a few cents. Many of the "special" features actually come from free sources, such as press releases, interviews, trailers, and so forth. And the more important question isn't whether a DVD will last but whether companies will still support the format in the future.

If we follow the arguments given by the former general manager of Hyperion, only around 35 percent of the price of a DVD goes to the DVD itself and royalties. The remaining 65 percent goes to the wholesaler and the retailer, and except for shipping and storage, a significant portion of the costs goes to marketing. It is, in fact, this marketing that creates the illusion of quality and fun. It is also the same marketing system that allows producers to release and re-release the same stuff with incremental "special" features or "new" editions. And it's not accidental that the same producers make mostly films that sell only because of their entertainment value. (This shows that censorship in other forms do take place.)

In many ways, most DVDs that are currently marketed are sold in the same way as audio CDs for almost twenty years: overpriced and hyped. What's strange is that the same companies also invest in disk recorders and blank disks, which is why they end up profiting from one industry while changing the format of another.

It is possible that once cheaper, faster, and error-free DVD-RW drives appear, then companies will come up with another format while making money from DVD recorders and blank disks.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
Re: Explaining the DVD collection hobby
« Reply #76 on: Oct 02, 2004 at 12:54 AM »
for me.. this is an uncurable pursuit for more dvds/ more films.. with great packaging!!! :)

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Oct 02, 2004 at 01:15 AM »
I'm no anthropologist (or sociologist ba?), but I'm guessing that it's human nature to amass something which one perceives as being valuable, in order to gain satisfaction from it. Some people might collect cars, others may collect wives. While it might be nice to collect those, the only thing I can afford to collect right now which gives me great satisfaction are dvds!  ;D

disclaimer: no offense to members of the fairer sex, I know we have many of them here also.   ;)

Offline workshy

• Collector
  • "the seeds of what we'll do are in all of us."
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Oct 03, 2004 at 07:43 PM »
dvds , especially those with great audio ( eg. dts ) when played in your HT gives you the feeling of being "in" the movie . that experience is unmatched by other formats . thats the reason i collect dvds. plus , of course , a genuine love of film and appreciation of a movie well made . ;D

Offline jetcmd

• Collector
  • kids' doc
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Oct 06, 2004 at 03:31 PM »
I feel there's no need to justify the reason why we collect DVDs. Dun tayo masaya eh...   Basta may pambili, GO.... Enjoy collecting!!!!  :)

Offline Y_meeh

• DVD Addict
  • I want adventure in the great wide somewhere-belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Oct 06, 2004 at 04:39 PM »
Mom: DVD na naman yan! magkano na naman ang bili mo dyan? Magtipid ka nga!

Me: Ma... savings ko po yan kasi pag nasa bank ang money nagagastos ko din.  Pag nashort ako sa cash benta ko lang to saka to saka to may cash na ulit ako :)
Lyf seems a succession of busy nothings - Austen

Offline reserved

• Apprentice
  • Who's welcoming me here, anyway?!
  • Liked:
GUYS, PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!! (the dvd collection hobby)
« Reply #81 on: Dec 24, 2004 at 04:24 AM »
Hey guys,

I have been wondering why so many of you are very fond of DVDs and DVD stuff... I joined in here just to find out for myself what is this addiction/hobby that my husband loves so much... he spends a lot of his time collecting DVDs and everytime we pass by Astrovision (did I spell it right?), it seems like a magnet that is drawing him to come in... i find it annoying, really!

Maybe I just wanna be really 'connected' to him to the extent that I am willing to understand him... yeah, whatever it may cause me...  :'( 

I heard you guys are cool... could you help me understand him, please!  :-\
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2004 at 10:35 AM by Kahon »
"Film lovers are sick people." --Francois Truffaut

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: GUYS, PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!
« Reply #82 on: Dec 24, 2004 at 08:51 AM »
Reserved welcome aboard in this community of dvd enthusiasts!

Please understand the hobby of your husband, its just a hobby anyway. We also felt the same way regarding this addictive hobby. Its a better alternative rather than going out with his friends, drinking, taking some other vices.

But if he forgets his responsibility to you and your children that's another story.  :)

Offline Kahon

• DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
Re: GUYS, PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 24, 2004 at 10:34 AM »
please refer to these threads for your question.

Why do you collect DVDs?

Explaining the DVD collection hobby

partner's reaction to your hobby

locking this thread.
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2004 at 10:41 AM by Kahon »

Offline bukoy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 23, 2005 at 05:23 PM »
Although minsan me point sila oo nga naman for a third world country like us at puro crisis sa ibat ibang sulok ng bansa...minsan naiisip na wag ng gumastos sa mga bagay na walang pakinabang sa iyo....eh me pakinabang ang panonood ko ng DVD movies kaya gumagastos ako d2 hehehe....iba talaga ang orig sa Linaw at Tunog incomparable sa pirated, smooth playbak pa di tulad ng sa pirata me time na nag tumatalon at me na puputol na eksena at shocks wala na ung ibang extras na dapat nandoon. At worse nakaka stress sa lens ang read out ng pirated which shortens its life.  And the packaging is also a factor! compared to pirated ones.  At isa pa ang peke di mo na ma ibebenta in a long run dahil affordable na nga diba at me time na di mo na iingatan ito so prone sa scratch so matatambak lng talaga sya pag napagsawaan mo na di tulad ng orig ingatan mo lng sya stay at mint as possible you can still sell for less 15 to 30% percent diba? Me value talaga ang original.  In terms of purchasing dvds i only buy those movies I like most to collect both standard/special/ultimate/boxset etc.

Doon sa bahay wala naman silang complain dahil puhunan ko naman ang ginagastos ko and also they're enjoy watching great movies in quality audio/visual form...pero syempre I make it a point na magtipid din as possible.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 11:45 AM »

With the falling prices of DVD's these days, here is my opinion:

Watching a movie: P120-P130/ person

Eating out: P150-P300/ person

Fuel used: depends

Other factors: traffic, time, parking fees, etc.

Compared to:

Cost of a DVD:P299-P800.

Comfort of your own home/ home theater

Unlimited snacks & pause DVD when you want to have a bathroom break. Clean bathroom too, in case, you wanna..ya know... ;D

AND, you get to keep the DVD for future watching with guests, children, etc...

or you can even sell it. Thereby minimizing your cost for enjoying a movie.

;D PRICELESS  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2005 at 12:22 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #86 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 12:38 PM »
Agree ako sa iyo Sir Matzter, It is really more economical to watch a movie in the comfort of your own home/HT rather than go to a movie house. 

Average cost to watch a movie for my family :

Husband + wife + 2 kids                                480.00
       Pop Corn and Drinks & Snacks                       300.00
       Lunch / Dinner                                                600.00
       Gasoline                                                          200.00
       Parking                                                              40.00
                                                                              ----------
       Total                                                              1,620.00             
                                                                              ======

DVD's a lot cheaper.

Cost above does not include expenses in case may magustuhan bilhin yung wife or kids sa mall after watching a movie  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 01:38 PM »
Agree ako sa iyo Sir Matzter, It is really more economical to watch a movie in the comfort of your own home/HT rather than go to a movie house. 

----------
                                                                              ======

DVD's a lot cheaper.

Cost above does not include expenses in case may magustuhan bilhin yung wife or kids sa mall after watching a movie  ;D

True, and you usually only get to watch the movie once with the P1,620 you spent.  :)

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2005 at 01:57 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 05:03 PM »

----------
                                                                              ======

DVD's a lot cheaper.

And if you live further south and you have to use SLEX to get to Makati or Mega, don't you have to add the toll fees as well?  (Take out the popcorn and snacks which you would most likely consume at home too while watching,  though in a different form.)

I agree getting DVDs SHOULD be cheaper.  BUT only if you forego watching the theatrical run and wait for the DVD release on SALE.  Some, if not most,  watch the theatrical run.  Then they go out and buy the DVD once released.  They won't even wait for the sale after a year or so.  I should know.  I watched the theatrical runs of Star War III, War Of The Worlds and Batman Begins with my kid and spent snacks and dinner at SM. Now, we're both anticipating the release of their DVDs which I would most likely get before Christmas.  So double expense.   :(  We also saw the Harry Potter and LOTR series in the movies and promptly got their DVDs when released.  And some people got the extended versions in addition.  So triple expense.  ;D

Aren't  most of us like that?   Watch the theatrical run, then get the DVD if we or our loved ones like the movie.  It's rarely this or that.  More often, both.  I don't really see much pont explaining this hobby.  Why explain away an incurable illness?    ;D 
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2005 at 05:15 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Sep 26, 2005 at 05:20 PM »
Mom: DVD na naman yan! magkano na naman ang bili mo dyan? Magtipid ka nga!

Me: Ma... savings ko po yan kasi pag nasa bank ang money nagagastos ko din.  Pag nashort ako sa cash benta ko lang to saka to saka to may cash na ulit ako :)

I can relate and sympathize with you, Y_Meeh! My dvd collection has two functions.....bank & pawnshop.  ;)