Author Topic: Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers  (Read 133966 times)

Offline notaku

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • No Life King
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers
« on: Jun 09, 2002 at 04:27 PM »
I've read that highly-informative thread on denon receivers and sonus fabers.  I'm now in the same boat, i've looked around, have pretty much seen the same options.  i was impressed by the h/k but reliability horror stories abound; marantz done have no RP distribution in their site so-?  

i'm torn between the dynaudio (listen) and soliloquy (audio den) standmounts, i think the dynaudios are better all-rounders but the sols are good too and a lot less tougher on amps.

if i go for the dynaudios, will denon's -3802 or onk's 797 be up for the long-term of running five (3+ ohms, 86db) at once?

interestingly, i got a pitch from the rotel distributor:  RSX-1065, a 44 lb. beast, 100W*5, DPL-2 and impressive bass setup flexibility (multiple, 'stead of just 80-100 hz). the price: Php 90,000.00, but i haven't tried haggling yet-i'm still recovering from shock. but rotel's got a good rep-anybody here think this is a good deal, or am i being screwed?
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2002 at 04:29 PM by notaku »

Offline cybermms

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re:Rotel RSX-1065
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2002 at 07:57 PM »

interestingly, i got a pitch from the rotel distributor:  RSX-1065, a 44 lb. beast, 100W*5, DPL-2 and impressive bass setup flexibility (multiple, 'stead of just 80-100 hz). the price: Php 90,000.00, but i haven't tried haggling yet-i'm still recovering from shock. but rotel's got a good rep-anybody here think this is a good deal, or am i being screwed?

Rotel is a pretty good performer - Power Amps, Integrated Amps, CD Player, Home Theater Receiver.

After Sales and Warranty services are also reliable.

I have tested and sold a few RSX-965 (predecessor of RSX 1065). The 965's were priced at P42k two years ago and its power output was 75w x 5.

RSX 1065 is rated 5 star in the UK. If you want to validate its price, check it against the buying guide of What Hi-Fi? magazine. The retail price in the UK is about the same as here (Sterling Pounds X Peso fx rate).

cybermms

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2002 at 08:36 PM »
notaku,
i can't comment on the RSX-1065 exactly but i got a RSP-1066 (prepro - DTS-ES/DDEX) and RMB-1075(120x5) combo last March. I have been thrilled with it

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2002 at 09:27 PM »
Notaku,

Rotels are expensive but if your in that budget I think its worth it. Just my 1 cent

downtown,

How much is the rotel pre amp? The preamp is 7.1, but  can you use it as 5.1? I think your using a 5 channel amp, Can you use another 2 channel amp for the front or does it have to be for the rear only? Thanks

levi

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2002 at 08:40 AM »
levi,
I'm using it as 5.1 only since my room is small and can't add anymore speakers. You can use a 2 channel amp anywhere(front/back), which i plan to do later so that my fronts sound better for 2ch audio.
Another good thing is you can upgrade the software thru the internet. They have already released a new update a month ago.

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2002 at 07:22 PM »
Hi downtown. where did you buy the rotels? i'm planning to upgrade my receiver and i have read so many good things about rotel.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2002 at 07:27 PM »
Thanks Downtown. If I can afford, I also want a Rotel.

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2002 at 08:26 PM »
ariel,
i bought the Rotel's in the Philippines from the distributor.
If you go the separates route, check out the RSP-1066 in silver/black. It is so beautiful.
This is a link to it : http://pages.cthome.net/lradden/1066.jpg

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2002 at 04:49 AM »
Hi Downtown,

May I know who is the distibutor and address of the
Rotel distributor ?

Thanks.

Louie

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2002 at 08:33 AM »
RU9,
Here is their add and email
APOLINARIO & ASSOCIATES
75 Baler St.
San Francisco Del Monte Quezon City
Philippines
Tel: 371-6809
E-mail: [email protected]

Offline cybermms

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2002 at 10:53 AM »
Rotel RSX-1065 was reviewed in What HiFi? Mar 2002 vs. Onkyo TX-ds898 and Denon AVC-A11SR.

Verdict: Rotel outperforms its rivals most especially in "music sound".

What HiFi? quotes "....in stereo, the RSX-1065 is the best sounding one box receiver we've yet heard.It's meaty when called upon, tight sounding, and musical whatever the genre. Denon runs in close, but falls away by being just a little too smooth; the Rotel, by contrast, has the energy and timing to capture fast-paced beats crisply, defining each note cleanly in the mix. It rocks, it rolls and it shakes its funky derriere: you can't ask for more from a product of this type..."

Price tag in the UK - 1800 sterling pounds (or around P126000 in local currency).

cybermms

Offline cybermms

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2002 at 03:35 PM »

THE MOTHER OF ALL RECEIVERS

RSX-1065 Multi-Channel Receiver is the high performance alternative to complex multi-component home theater systems. In honor of Rotel ’s audiophile origins, the amplifier provides enough high current output to drive even the most difficult speakers. In multi-channel mode the RSX-1065 delivers 5 x 100 watts per channel RMS, all channels driven, and up to 200 watts per channel under dynamic conditions. A generous Rotel-made toroidal transformer forms the heart of a prodigious power supply to ensure unblemished reproduction of the most dynamic crescendos and most delicate sonic nuances. The RSX-1065 easily handles the most demanding system configurations. Custom ID capability allows users to program the source selector so that it displays exactly which component has been selected. Digital inputs are assignable. Multi-zone, multi-source capability? Of course. The RSX-1065 also handles two component video sources and provides a component video monitor output. Advanced Crystal Semiconductor microprocessors handle Dolby Digital, dts, and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding as well as several music modes for optimum enjoyment. In addition to conventional 5.1 capabilities, the RSX-1065 boasts two additional preamplifier outputs to feed, through appropriate amplification, an additional pair of speakers. This gives home theater enthusiasts the spatial benefits of the latest enhanced surround modes. For custom-installed systems, the RSX-1065 includes an RS-232 interface, 12 volt “trigger ”outputs, and discrete on/off remote control command codes. A fully programmable remote control is standard.

S P E C I F I C A T I O N S
Model  RSX-1065
Surround Sound 100w x 5
Freq. Response (front) 10Hz - 20kHz (+/- 0.3)
Total Harmonic Distortion (front, 1kHz)  <0.05%  
Intermodulation Distortion <0.05%
S/N Ratio IHF A (stereo)  95 dB
Input Impedance 47k ohms  
Frequency Response (video) 10Hz-95kHz +- 1dB (line level)
10Hz - 20 kHz +-0.3dB (digital level)  
S/N Ratio 45 dB
Input/Output Impedance 75ohms
Output Voltage (75 ohm)  1V
Tuner  -
FM S/N Ratio (@65dBf) 70dBf
FM Usable Sens. (mono) 14.2 dBf  
FM 50 db Quieting (75 )  -
mono -
stereo -
FM Harmonic Distortion
(65dBF/1kHz) -
0.3% (stereo)

FM Capture Ratio -
Alt Chan. Selectivity -
Spurious Response Ratio -  
IF Response Ratio -  
Stereo Separation
(100Hz/1kHz/10kHz) -
-/45dB/-
AM Sensitivity
AM Selectivity 500 µV/m
-  
Miscellaneous -  
Power Consumption: 550 Watts
Power Requirements:

-
Dimensions (W x H x D):
 432 x 189 x 427 mm
17&#8221; x 7 ½&#8221; x 16 7/8&#8221;
Weight (net):  20.4 kg, 44.9 lb

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2002 at 03:41 PM by cybermms »

Offline notaku

• Collector
  • No Life King
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2002 at 12:35 AM »
uh-huh...obviously you folks approve of this product.  it doesn't take two looks at that so kindly-supplied picture to realize that this is one hell of a machine...my question is this:  lucky for me, i'm in the market for something that will last A LIFETIME, and that rotel is within my budget...why the hell will i bother?!  to owners of denons, onkyos...is there something in that rotel that i couldn't get for half the price?  i don't consider myself a (gasp) audiophile, and i think i never will be (as long as i appreciate eminem), but i want to get my damn money's worth-why the hell will i spend P 90,000.00 on a receiver, when there are so many starving goddamn children in the world?!  just askin'...?

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2002 at 08:53 AM »
hi notaku,
i noticed that you are planning to buy either the dynaudio or the soliloquy which are both very good speakers. you can use a cheaper receiver with these speakers but you cannot get the most out of them especially the dynaudio.

Offline cybermms

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2002 at 09:13 PM »

..why the hell will i bother?!  why the hell will i spend P 90,000.00 on a receiver, when there are so many starving goddamn children in the world?!  just askin'...?

Bro, you wanted advice...you got it... that's one benefit of being part of the Pinoy DVD community.

The quality of the audio equipment you want to invest in is proportionate to the price you pay... as they say..."You pay peanuts ...you get monkeys..."

cybermms

Offline notaku

• Collector
  • No Life King
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2002 at 11:43 PM »
hey! i apologize, people! that rant was, uh, chemically induced...anyway, da point's moot coz upon further inquiry, the rotel dis. admits they got no -1065s in stock: dey proposing order basis, 50% d/p-what? i blow 100,000 peysos, no demo?! i don't think so...

dynaudios: what amp are you proposing, man? i'm seriously interested in the audience series, inefficient and all; i doubt whether an ht rec. will be up to da task (short of the rotel, 'course); if i go 2-channel, will arcams or mf a300 do the job?

Offline cybermms

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 15, 2002 at 11:10 AM »

dynaudios  what amp are you proposing, man? i'm seriously interested in the audience series, inefficient and all; i doubt whether an ht rec. will be up to da task (short of the rotel, 'course); if i go 2-channel, will arcams or mf a300 do the job?

dynaudios (4oms) will sound best if driven by high-powered amp preferably separates. Try them with a 200 w (RMS) powered amp.

The integrated Arcams (A85 or A75) and the MF A300 have power outputs of 75-100 watts and may not have enough to make the Dynadios sing.

cybermms

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 15, 2002 at 01:04 PM »
notaku,
why don't you try the combo i went with - RSP-1066 upgradeable pre/pro and RMB-1075 (120x5) at a little extra cash, and you'll have separates

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 11:05 AM »

how's the after-sales support for ROTEL? anyone here have experience on repairs and warranties for this brand? or is the brand so good that there are hardly any cases?

thanks!

Offline hyperaudio

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2002 at 08:33 PM »
hi guys,
hyperaudio (rotel service tech) at your service. of the hundreds of rotel products that have landed our shore, only a handful had had defects. they were usually the 951 & 971 cd players (usually the optical assembly). all rody a. had to do was order the parts (actually the whole assembly inc. the loading tray) and i installed them.  amps and/or receivers that had defects upon opening were shipped back to rotel. i'm sure there's no rotel products out there that are inutile. if there are and even if they're out of warranty i'm sure we can fix them
(rody a. will be always glad to help on the parts).
incidentally and something for you high end ht/music buffs to think about, i have a brand new pre-pro & 5-channel amp combo for sale: RSP-1066 dd ex/dts-es
7.1 pre-pro and RMB-1095 200wx5 power amp (thx).
P75,000 and P110,000 resp.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 26, 2002 at 09:58 AM »
hi guys,
hyperaudio (rotel service tech) at your service. of the hundreds of rotel products that have landed our shore, only a handful had had defects. they were usually the 951 & 971 cd players (usually the optical assembly). all rody a. had to do was order the parts (actually the whole assembly inc. the loading tray) and i installed them.  amps and/or receivers that had defects upon opening were shipped back to rotel. i'm sure there's no rotel products out there that are inutile. if there are and even if they're out of warranty i'm sure we can fix them
(rody a. will be always glad to help on the parts).
incidentally and something for you high end ht/music buffs to think about, i have a brand new pre-pro & 5-channel amp combo for sale: RSP-1066 dd ex/dts-es
7.1 pre-pro and RMB-1095 200wx5 power amp (thx).
P75,000 and P110,000 resp.

thanks for the info hyperaudio!

by the way, would you know which pre/pro models preceded the 1066? i'm exploring the possibilities of getting a dedicated pre-pro to match with an rb-985 5 ch power amp that can decode dd or even dd and dts, depending on their price tag. i'm willing to forego dts-es, dpl-2 or even plain dts if i can get a bargain for the older models.

i chanced upon an rsx-965 receiver but i found it quite expensive and slightly underpowered. its not a good match with the rb-985 either - parang sayang din yung built-in amp nya.

thanks!

Offline makicute

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
rotel 930ax any good?
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2002 at 09:44 AM »
i saw this amp at raon is this amp any good im planning to partner it with my dm303 :) btw the price is 7500, is the price resonable?

Offline madrigal

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:rotel 930ax any good?
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 08:06 AM »
Hi,
  It is the best your P7,500 can offer.......  it is a 25W yata.  

Price is reasonable thinking it is a british design although that is an older model already.

Where in Raon?  Might get one too.....

I guess you are familiar that amps this small need speakers of 89 above sensitivity and that
it cannot be played real loud for party purposes.  Pang bedroom or small room lang ito..

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 11:28 AM »
I think I know where you saw this rotel, that is their only stock, I was supposed to buy it before but wala silang pang-demo. When I asked the peeps there, they said its rated 100 watts x 2...yeah right. Anyway its relatively cheap but its within the 25-30 watt range only,
the B&W's you have should sound good on these amps. My friend though says the ra-931 mkII is better but then again the lowest price I saw for this amp is 11k:)

Offline makicute

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 12:18 PM »
nakalimutan ko yung pangalan ng tindahan pero tanda ko kung galing ka ng lrt eh malapit eto sa kanto kung nasaan ang deeco yung store sa corner subok mo na lang. i think its 35 watts not 25 :)

Offline makicute

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 12:21 PM »
john yung rotel 931 mk2 at 11k saan store ng kaibigan mo nabili yun? maganda ang review ng unit na to sa www.tnt-audio.com

Offline rubhino

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 03:22 PM »
the rotel ra 930ax is 30wpc
LG/yamaha/mission/velodyne HT
plinius/musical fidelity/analysis plus/mission/rel
nad/rotel/norh

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2002 at 08:13 PM »
I saw this in upscale audio makati, but this was for their last unit, thats why my friend bought it right away. I saw one in upscale megamall but it costs 14k i think.

Offline makicute

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2002 at 12:12 PM »
thanks for the reply guys, pero cguro i will look for another brand mukhang 30 watts is not enough for me, i want my amp to have a lot of headroom.

to john:
14k is already too much for me, adding 1k more would buy me a receiver na :)

to rubhino:
do you own this amp? if you do how does it perform with your current setup?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 07:35 PM »
I think I saw this unit as well in raon but can't remember the stores name. The sales lady told me that its 100 + a channel as well... to good to be true, I thought, for the price. It is indeed an old model (1993-1994) so I'm curious about warranty and service. Okay kaya yung sound niya?
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2003 at 07:06 PM by rmn »