Author Topic: Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers  (Read 133964 times)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:rotel 930ax any good?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 08:01 PM »
one thing's for sure, its not a 100 watts per channel. its 30 watts per channel

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 02:24 PM »
one thing's for sure, its not a 100 watts per channel. its 30 watts per channel

Yes. But for  bedroom purposes...

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 03:15 PM »
yep ideal for small rooms, all i'm sayin is that you can't take the salesladies word that its 100w x 2  ;)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2002 at 09:31 AM »
yep ideal for small rooms, all i'm sayin is that you can't take the salesladies word that its 100w x 2  ;)

exactly. Would you also believe that she also said that it is "the latest model" from rotel? Good thing I checked the net. ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2002 at 09:33 AM by rmn »

Offline rubhino

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2002 at 04:07 PM »
it's a mid 90's model.
LG/yamaha/mission/velodyne HT
plinius/musical fidelity/analysis plus/mission/rel
nad/rotel/norh

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 07, 2002 at 04:16 PM »
The store, by the way, is Pacific Electronics & Appliances along G. Puyat.

Offline makicute

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2002 at 01:38 PM »
btw kung matagal na tong stock di kaya di na maganda ang tunog? is it possible na kahit di ginagamit ehh yung mga electronics nito sa loob ay ma-degrade like electrolytic capacitors? balak ko sanang bilhin...

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2002 at 10:11 PM »
nah i don't think so, but once you buy it and use don't leave it off for a long time or else when you turn it back it won't sound "right" you'll have to wait for a while for it to warm up  :)

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2002 at 10:16 AM »
thanks for the reply guys, pero cguro i will look for another brand mukhang 30 watts is not enough for me, i want my amp to have a lot of headroom.

to john:
14k is already too much for me, adding 1k more would buy me a receiver na :)

Hi Maki, I used to own a Rotel 931Mk.2. driving a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino. Rhubino visited me and we both concurred that his Rotel 930ax and my 931 are so remarkably powerful that we normally cannot exceed 10 o'clock volume position for it's too loud already. The Rotel integrated amps' power are conservatively rated. So don't be turned off by its 30-watt rating.

If you can find a medium size bag, put your B&W303s inside it and bring it to Raon. Try it with the 930ax. Only then can you verify how loud it can really go, and how good it sounds in music.

The P7,500 is a steal. You get very good sounding amp even beating many receiver in the 20K price range (as far as playing CDs is concerned). When I was in Singapore, I asked the dealer salesman which of the Rotel receivers can better the sound of the 931 integrated amp on demo. He told me only the 972 can do that, but it's already in the P70K range! I ended up getting the Rotel instead, and keeping my prologic receiver na dapat i-upgrade to DTS/DD. But when I hooked it up, I never regretted that decision. All of my CDs sounded much better.

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2002 at 10:46 PM by audio_tyro »

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2002 at 11:31 PM »
ra-972 for 70k? you might have mistyped on that one. anyways with your speakers 30 watts should be ok i heard that b&w's and rotels sound great together ;D

Offline makicute

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2002 at 10:18 AM »
well i tried looking at the unit again last saturday, this time i got a really good look. well i think the unit have been on display for a very long time. i look inside the amp and i found out that some of the components inside are rusting (i cant believe it either) and there seems like a brownish thing besides the power caps.

i didnt ask for a listening demo anymore from what i saw.

bummer :( could have been a good buy

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 16, 2002 at 10:49 AM »
ra-972 for 70k? you might have mistyped on that one. anyways with your speakers 30 watts should be ok i heard that b&w's and rotels sound great together ;D

Hi John, referring to the Rotel RSX-972 (top-of-the-line receiver last June, when I went to Singapore). My option was to upgrade my receiver so that I only use one amp both for music and home theater. Well, that didn't happen. I ended up getting the Rotel 931 integrated (not a receiver) but intensely enjoy my music to another level. Anyway, I have a very few DVD  collection so I don't care if I still have the old receiver. Besides, I use the Rotel integrated too for concert DVDs, and the sound is amazing! No regrets. My 5-year old daughter uses my receiver to view her Barney VCDs, her Toy Story DVDs and a lot more. For movies, I am bi-amping (Rotel drives my Sonus Faber) and my Onkyo drives the center and rears.

« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2002 at 02:19 PM by audio_tyro »

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2002 at 11:03 AM »
well i tried looking at the unit again last saturday, this time i got a really good look. well i think the unit have been on display for a very long time. i look inside the amp and i found out that some of the components inside are rusting (i cant believe it either) and there seems like a brownish thing besides the power caps.

i didnt ask for a listening demo anymore from what i saw.

bummer :( could have been a good buy

Delikado nga yon Pare'ng Maki. Tinawaran mo na lang sana ng P4-5K. Di na mabebenta yon. hehe. Sent you a PM

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 16, 2002 at 03:07 PM »
ah ok no offense meant just clarifying coz with that price range you can by one of rotels receivers already. as for that 930ax in raon nah don't sweat i'm sure some guys here will be selling their 932's hehehe ;D

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 11:09 AM »
I always liked Rotel integrateds.  Great sound and build quality for the money.

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 01:15 PM »
I always liked Rotel integrateds.  Great sound and build quality for the money.

Yo, Michael Schumacher! For a guy who is a Dynaco ST70 tube amp fanatic, that's saying a lot, my man! Muchas gratias senyor!

Offline cybermms

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers
« Reply #46 on: Dec 28, 2002 at 05:38 PM »

Any users / comments on the new range of ROTEL RA-02 and RA-01 - High current stereo integrated amplifier

SPECS:
40 watts x 2 into 8 ohms
 5 inputs: mm phono, tuner, cd, aux 1, and aux 2
 Headphone jack, defeatable tone control
 Pre-outs for bi-amplification  
 12 volt trigger output
 Toroidal transformer, T network caps
 Detachable IEC power cord  

A thoroughly modern classic, the RA-02 adds the convenience of remote control to one of the most praised integrated amplifier circuits ever developed. Power output (40 watts RMS x 2) is more than adequate for all but the largest rooms. High damping factor assures positive loudspeaker control. In addition to a high efficiency Rotel custom-made toroid transformer, the power supply includes low-ESR British-made capacitors specifically designed for enhanced resolution. A system remote control, infrared repeater connections, A/B speaker terminals, five line-level inputs and a MM phono input, independent Listen/Record selectors, headphone jack, and a 12 volt trigger that provides remote turn-on/turn-off of components complete this exceptional product.

RA-01 has the same configuration but without the remote.

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re:Rotel RA-01 / RA-02
« Reply #47 on: Dec 29, 2002 at 11:15 AM »
Hey, it's rated Five (5) Stars by both HiFi Choice and T3 so it must be good eh? Read more on attached link:

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=2374
http://www.t3.co.uk/rev_print.asp?rev_id=2475

Some say you need to avoid partnering it with bright speakers, as the slight forward nature of this Rotel can exaggerate its effects. Hence this amp is perfect for British speakers (Spendor, B&W, Mission, Tannoy, etc.). What speakers will you be driving it with? The best speaker cable to use with Rotels is the Analysis Plus brand.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2002 at 11:44 AM by audio_tyro »

Offline notaku

• Collector
  • No Life King
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Dec 30, 2002 at 02:44 PM »
Saw the RA-02 at Upscale in Megamall early this year, selling for Php 17K.  When I came back for the RCD-02 CD player someone else had bought the amp so I wasn't able to audition it.  

At least in terms of looks pictures don't do it justice, it was a very clean-looking unit, great finish, solid, not plasticky at all.  As far as the sound goes I thought the Silver series were simply repackaged older models, but the RCD-02 CD player sounds slightly different from the identical spec RCD-961, high freqs especially, but regardless for the price alone the RA-02 looks like a great buy if you're into stereo.

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Rotel RA-01 / RA-02
« Reply #49 on: Dec 30, 2002 at 05:20 PM »
Hi Notaku! Repackaged order models kamo? That's great news indeed, since this new model has a remote. In retrospect, I've owned the older Rotel RA-931Mk.2 integrated amp (35watts) which I used to drive a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino Home and REL Strata 3 in sonic heaven! A friend from Cebu also noted that the 931 can drive the 84dB Spendor S3/5 even better than the latest Musical Fidelity A3 integrated amp. But you need the Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker cable and Oval 1 interconnects to optimize the amp's performance. Changing cables from van den Hul CS-122 (with van den Hul D102Mk3 interconnects) to the Analysis Plus brand catapulted its performance into incredible heights especially if you keep reminding yourself of the amp's cheap price! It can literally put to shame many integrated amps (lalo na HT receivers) twice/thrice its price.
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2002 at 05:22 PM by audio_tyro »

Offline notaku

• Collector
  • No Life King
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Dec 31, 2002 at 04:10 AM »
It can literally put to shame many integrated amps (lalo na HT receivers) twice/thrice its price.

Lalo nang HT receivers I'm sure!

Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2002 at 04:12 AM by notaku »

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 31, 2002 at 01:22 PM »
Yup, agree with you guys,  If its ROTEL, it must be good.  Good value for money, period.  ;)

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2003 at 01:03 AM »
Hi Notaku! Repackaged order models kamo? That's great news indeed, since this new model has a remote. In retrospect, I've owned the older Rotel RA-931Mk.2 integrated amp (35watts) which I used to drive a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino Home and REL Strata 3 in sonic heaven! A friend from Cebu also noted that the 931 can drive the 84dB Spendor S3/5 even better than the latest Musical Fidelity A3 integrated amp. But you need the Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker cable and Oval 1 interconnects to optimize the amp's performance. Changing cables from van den Hul CS-122 (with van den Hul D102Mk3 interconnects) to the Analysis Plus brand catapulted its performance into incredible heights especially if you keep reminding yourself of the amp's cheap price! It can literally put to shame many integrated amps (lalo na HT receivers) twice/thrice its price.

hello boss audio_tyro

any feedback on its performance as a pre-amp for a bigger Rotel amp like the rb-1080? thanks!

Offline audio_tyro

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 11, 2003 at 12:03 PM »
Hi Sir Tuff_u_gong,

wag naman 'boss' tawag mo. hehe. kakahiya.

Unfortunately, this 931Mk. 2 does not have preouts, therefore you cannot use it as a Preamp. Corollarily, I have not listened to Rotel 1080 power amp as well. But even my friends in Singapore have very high regard on this brand. Sabi nila Rotel is highend na affordable ang price. On the week of Jan. 20-24, I have scheduled a visit to a friend in BF Heva who has that 1080 power amp, driving a pair of B&W Nautilus 805s. He used his Rotel 965 receiver as preamp only (galit sa pera). He has been urging me to hear his wonderful setup. Will keep you posted.

Pare, what speakers are you using now?

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2003 at 12:05 AM »
Hi Sir Tuff_u_gong,

wag naman 'boss' tawag mo. hehe. kakahiya.

Unfortunately, this 931Mk. 2 does not have preouts, therefore you cannot use it as a Preamp. Corollarily, I have not listened to Rotel 1080 power amp as well. But even my friends in Singapore have very high regard on this brand. Sabi nila Rotel is highend na affordable ang price. On the week of Jan. 20-24, I have scheduled a visit to a friend in BF Heva who has that 1080 power amp, driving a pair of B&W Nautilus 805s. He used his Rotel 965 receiver as preamp only (galit sa pera). He has been urging me to hear his wonderful setup. Will keep you posted.

Pare, what speakers are you using now?

thanks audio_tyro! (hayan sir, wala nang "boss")

i've auditioned the rb-1080 with the rsp-1066 using my speakers and it sounded great, not tube-sounding enough but still great. kaya lang di ako galit sa pera like your friend kaya am looking for a more affordable match.

i think the stereo pre-amp Rotel designed to match with the rb-1080 and 1090 power amps is the rc-1090. haven't seen one
in Manila yet but would be willing to try if i saw one. siempre mas maganda kung mas mura.

i've also heard the rb-1080 with signature 805s (wow!) pero audio research yung naka kabit na pre-amp kaya din siguro maganda.

btw, i'm using a pair of b&w 602s3s.

i look forward to your feedback on the 965/1080 combo, sir.

Offline stradale

• Collector
  • It's better to burn out than to fade away.
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2003 at 12:28 AM »
tuff,

Saan mo na audition yung rb1080?  Meron din silang rb1070?  How was the sound with your 602S3?  Much better ba as compared to using your normal Japanese AVR?  In what way is it better? And lastly, whats the ballpark figure for that rb1080?  Daming tanong ano?

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 12, 2003 at 09:16 AM »
tuff,

Saan mo na audition yung rb1080?  Meron din silang rb1070?  How was the sound with your 602S3?  Much better ba as compared to using your normal Japanese AVR?  In what way is it better? And lastly, whats the ballpark figure for that rb1080?  Daming tanong ano?

hi stradale!

kumusta na? sent you a PM

tuff

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jan 12, 2003 at 09:54 AM »
Has anybody heard the Rotel 1095 5-channel amp?

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 07:51 AM »

great HT amp. perfect match with rotel rsp-1066 whether
for HT or 2-channel audio.

not bad for HT when matched with yamaha rxv-630. the
combination is an ear-bleed for 2-channel music, though.

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jan 13, 2003 at 09:20 PM »

great HT amp. perfect match with rotel rsp-1066 whether
for HT or 2-channel audio.

not bad for HT when matched with yamaha rxv-630. the
combination is an ear-bleed for 2-channel music, though.

which is due to the yammy not the rotel amp  :)