Author Topic: Sony Bravia's are out expect prices to fall  (Read 3332 times)

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Sony Bravia's are out expect prices to fall
« on: Nov 06, 2005 at 09:27 PM »
I saw that the new Sony LCD Bravia range are out in the market..

Pricing for the lower end model is 40" 229,900 a 32" lcd is 129,900 and 26" Lcd is 99,900 , so i would expect that hitachi , samsung  and panasonic will lower their prices for flat panels w/in a week or so.

Pricing for other makers of  32" LCD models was about 50K more , I am certain they will bring this down to sony's level..

Offline gren

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sony Bravia's are out expect prices to fall
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 02:09 PM »
heard great things about these sets. question is, anybody know where to get sony's for lower than srp for cash purchases?

hey jambam, are the higher end models being sold as well? i think the lower end bravia's lack digital connectors and whatnot. 

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 10:35 PM »
Reposting what I posted in another thread.
In Singapore, LCD occupies the center main display in great number while the plasma are regaled to the obscure side with much less units on display. This makes me hypothesize that LCDs might be outselling the plasmas in Singapore.   

Went to one of the several Sony showrooms there and if I'm not mistaken, the new Bravia KLV-V40A10 costs less than Sing$6,000 or roughly Php 180,000.  42" Plasmas by Philips cost aroung Php 90,000+.   

Some specs of the new Bravia KLV-V40A10 (40" LCD-TV)
Max Res: 1366 x 768
Viewing Angle:  178
Brightness: 500cd/m2
Contrast: 1300:1
Response Time: 8ms

Inputs:
Component/Audio In x 3
S-Video x 1, Composite/Audio In x 3
Headphone Out x 1
HDMI input
HD-15 PC Input
USB (Full Speed)
PC Audio Input

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 01:27 PM »
Gren,

Actually if you get a sony catalog from your local appliance store, they have the higher end V series w/ is P280 K for the 40 in and 190K for the 32 ". Equivalent sa XBR in the US , the prices I stated earlier is for the S series.

Looks like it's much cheaper talaga in Singapore if the V series 40in LCD is Just S$6K

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 09:31 PM »
Sony Prices in the Philippines

V-Series

40" KLV-V40A10 - Php 279,990 - almost 50% more than in Singapore (And to think they have GST factored in their price already)
32" KLV-V32A10 - Php 189,990

S Series

40" KLV-S40A10 - Php 229,990
32" KLV-S32A10 - Php 129,990
26" KLV-S26A10 - Php 99,990

B Series

20" KLV-B20G10 - Php 69,990
15" KLV-B15G10 - Php 49,990

HT Series

19" MFM-HT95 - Php 69,990
17" MFM-HT75W - Php 59,990
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2005 at 09:34 PM by number1 »

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2005 at 09:28 AM »
The lower end models don't have the WEGA engine. And the screen aren't Sony-made but are Samsung (Note: Both Samsung and Sony came out the same time their new LCD line-up).

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2005 at 03:22 PM »
Spec wise the same priced Samsung models are better than the S series Sony... I am thinking of the 32" model

Offline Jett

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2005 at 06:17 PM »
does anyone know what the PC Input refers to? Does it have a DVI connector?

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2005 at 03:59 PM »
Jett , the bravia has a VGA(analog) 15 d-sub pin connector for the PC input

Offline Hippo

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2005 at 10:42 AM »
Sights and Sounds has the higher end V series. I'll be getting the 32inch V series when stocks arrive :) Maybe later today or wednesday... Heard nothing but praise for this TV :)

Offline altan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 01:25 AM »
Heard some discouraging news about Bravia.  Unit is not very durable or didn't pass stringent quality control.  2 dead sets in just couple of months returned to one outlet...

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 01:28 PM »
really, is this true? do you have the actual news/feedback on this? im considering to purchase the bravia and this doesnt sound too encouraging.

thanks.

Offline altan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 03:21 PM »
This info was relayed to us by the salespersons (take note: in plural form) of a very well known Appliance dealer (I'll just keep the store's name confidential as not to sabotage their relationship with Sony).  We were then shopping for big screen LCD/PLASMA and was considering PHILIPS, TOSHIBA, SAMSUNG, SONY and other brands.... the comment we got for Sony Bravia 40" is exactly what I wrote earlier.

They said the customer who bought and returned the Sony Bravia even told them to take the unit out of his sight or "babarilin ko yan eh!".

'nuff said.  :-)

Offline alas6

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2006 at 07:29 AM »
just saw this today...from http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200602220711.htm:

Can’t turn them off
And now for some very disturbing news.

If you bought a Sony Bravia LCD or rear-projection screen TV within the past year, you may have a little bit of a problem on your hands. Roughly 400,000 of the TVs which were sold in North America, South America and Asia cannot be turned off or come out of standby mode once they pass 1,200 hours of use.

Japan’s Sony Corp. has just warned that about 400,000 if its Bravia brand liquid crystal display (LCD) and rear-projection TVs launched last year may malfunction due to faulty software.

According to a Sony spokesperson, after 1,200 hours of use, the TVs may not be able to be turned off or switched out of stand-by-mode. The TVs were sold in Japan, the United States, South America, China and other Asian countries.The software for those sets receiving digital or cable broadcasts can be upgraded automatically but Sony must dispatch a person to fix those TVs that are receiving analog signals

The number of TVs affected comes to about 10 percent of the 4.2 million LCD and rear-projection TVs Sony is aiming to sell in the current business year to March. Sony has enjoyed strong sales of its Bravia brand TVs since launching them worldwide late last year, taking market share from LCD rival Sharp Corp. in the United States market during the key year-end holiday season.

Sony has admitted that about 18,000 of these very expensive tv sets it sold in China have a software glitch that makes it difficult to turn the TV on or off. The TV sets in question belong to five models, two of which are rear projection models, manufactured between August and Nov. last year at Sony’s Shanghai factory.

It is now offering free software upgrade to consumers who have bought the models - KF-E42A10, KF-E50A10, KLV-V26A10, KLV-V32A10 and KLV-V40A10. Apparently, Sony discovered the error while running tests on the TV sets. The clock in the software resets itself after 1,200 hours of operation.

Users will have to pull the plug and then plug it back in to get the TV up and running. So far, of the 17,923 affected models sold in China, 12,844 are rear projection TV sets and 5,079 are LCD TV sets. Consumers would have to leave their TVs running for 50 days non-stop before the error occurs. Sony has admitted that the glitch affects the same models sold worldwide.

Offline altan

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2006 at 09:47 AM »
Hmmm... how come the electronic edition of Phil Star isn't exactly the same as the printed edition?

Anyways, the paper today mentioned:

Sony Philippines stated that "It has come to our attention that some of the following TV models may exhibit some symptoms in the future such as inability to properly respond to the on/off switch in certain modes:
KF-E42A10 (LCD Projection TV)
KF-E50A10 (LCD Projection TV)
KLV-V32A10 (LCD TV)
KLV-V40A10 (LCD TV)

"For more questions and clarifications, please contact Sony's Customer Center (CCC) at 878-7600...."