Author Topic: Yamaha RX-V750 need suggestion & comments...  (Read 2492 times)

Offline hattori_hanzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yamaha RX-V750 need suggestion & comments...
« on: Nov 11, 2005 at 03:05 PM »
Hey Guys...

I need advice on Yamaha RX-V750 before I purchase one, coz one of my friend is offering me his Yamaha RX-V995 for Php15T neg. I know RX-V995 has a good reputation and now im a littlebit confused my budget is Php.20T. so guys what do you think should I go for the 2nd hand 995 or a brand new 750? need expert comments...

thanks! really appreciate it...

PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: Yamaha RX-V750 need suggestion & comments...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 04:24 PM »
Bro imho if you have the money and plan to hold on to your gears for a long long time then i suggest you get the brandnew item but if you just want to experience the thrill of buying and upgrading sooner than you planned then the used item is just right for you. ;D

Offline obey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 08:07 PM »
RX-V750 :)

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 09:22 PM »
Bro imho if you have the money and plan to hold on to your gears for a long long time then i suggest you get the brandnew item but if you just want to experience the thrill of buying and upgrading sooner than you planned then the used item is just right for you. ;D

Thanks sir for the good advice, I really appreciate it. but there is something bugging me between this two amp. I've seen the spec's of 750 vs. the 995 and compare it. The RX-V750 by far is the best in features but in terms of power they dont really differ from afar. but one thing concerns me. the 995 is around 135WPC Max and the whole amp is consuming power around 700W max, while the RX-V750 is 140WPC and the amp is consuming only 440W. my confusion is how did this power arguments come based on comparison between power consumption? and is the actual weight of the amp really matter? the 995 is 31.1lbs while the 750 is only 27lbs. Hay this really confuses me. really need help! hindi biro mag labas ng Php.20,000.00 eh!

Thanks much!!!    
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Online bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 09:32 PM »
The 440W rating of the 750 is not max power. The 995 may be rated in a different way. The FTC standard has no defined rating standard for multi channel amplification.

In addition, for a 3 dB increase in SPL, you double the power. Try this formula:

SPL=10 * log (Power)

100 watts can give you 20 dB. 200 can give you just 23 dB. And 400 Watts can only give 26 dB. Don't worry much about power. Especially when you're in the 100 wpc mark.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2005 at 10:10 PM »
go for the RX-V750 and at least it is brand-new so you don't have to worry of any previous misuse or previous repairs...

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 09:17 AM »
The 140 WPC that you mentioned is actually the peak power output (that's at 10% THD). If you care to check, the true RMS rating of the 750 is 100 WPC. But even that may be unreliable. The point here is, power may not really be an issue, I'm quite sure either amp can provide you with ample amplification for your room. Now, I have to apologize to your friend, because I'd still be recommending the 750 over the 995. Why? Not just future proofing, but being "present-capable". To my knowledge, the 995  is just a 5 channel amp. So, dun pa lang, medyo huli ka na. But, as I always say, different strokes for different folks. But I'd still go for the 750 if I were you.  ;)
Making the most of what I've got

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 10:21 AM »
Thanks sir for the good advice, I really appreciate it. but there is something bugging me between this two amp. I've seen the spec's of 750 vs. the 995 and compare it. The RX-V750 by far is the best in features but in terms of power they dont really differ from afar. but one thing concerns me. the 995 is around 135WPC Max and the whole amp is consuming power around 700W max, while the RX-V750 is 140WPC and the amp is consuming only 440W. my confusion is how did this power arguments come based on comparison between power consumption? and is the actual weight of the amp really matter? the 995 is 31.1lbs while the 750 is only 27lbs. Hay this really confuses me. really need help! hindi biro mag labas ng Php.20,000.00 eh!

Thanks much!!!    

995 rated power consumption is just 400W. 750 rated power expansion is 440W. The difference is almost immaterial.

THe weight difference could be on choice of materials. The 995 might have more metals, the 750 have more plastics  ;D.

Further, the circuit integration in 750 is much higher than 995, so 750 has less boards in it, but more powerful circuit integration - so it's lighter.

The actual weight of the amp matters! You need more work to carry a heavy amp with just less power and features.  ;D With 750, less work with more power and more features. Unless you are looking for heavier paper weight, where 995 can be of a choice over 750!  ;D

The 995 has learning remote (wow!) - both have phono input (wow!). 650/750 has pre-outs (all channels if you need more power to destroy the ears of your neighbors) while 995 has none, with warranty if bought brand new.

If the 20k is painful for you, go 650 (no phono) or 640 or 630 - all have pre-outs. The 550 seems to be a rebadged 995 (but without phono) - down cheaper pa, especially those selling for upgrade purposes, sometimes covered pa ng warranty. I agree with you why would I buy features that I may not use at all - thus 995 and 750 will not differ much if 995 is in fact a better amplifier. But no mention of 995 as a power amp to die for, so will go current models - not even 750 if phono is not an issue.

The power is not so much to be paid attention with in separates like these models - even the entry level have enough to break your eardrum, provided you have a decent speaker sensitivity.

I also agree with you 20k is a lot of money, why bother on 750 - look for 2nd hand yamaha models 630-540-640-550-650-557-657! you can buy them as low as 12k, by timing it with the bonus releases. 995 at 15k is not worth it!  ;D

995 at 10k, why not!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Unless you are like some who wanted to be surrounded by speakers in their house - aka "future proofing"  - go for 11 channels, so you can show case it to your peers!  ;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2005 at 10:27 AM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 12:33 PM »
the 995 is around 135WPC Max and the whole amp is consuming power around 700W max, while the RX-V750 is 140WPC and the amp is consuming only 440W.

do not worry about these figures! even at full volumes, i doubdt you will ever come close to those numbers!

do not worry that you do not understand them, they do not mean much anyway! ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 01:27 PM »
THANK YOU THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS!!!

At least meron na akong idea, since most of you really has an idea about HT. I'll go for the RX-V750. Hay! medyo nakahinga na ako ng maluwag. I'm now very much convinced about the 750 brand new na at may warranty pa.

thanks to all of you Guys, I really appreciate it...

PCCian... kumbento boys!

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2005 at 11:16 PM »
do not worry about these figures! even at full volumes, i doubdt you will ever come close to those numbers!

do not worry that you do not understand them, they do not mean much anyway! ;D

LOL ;D right on bro