Author Topic: Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros  (Read 25622 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Re: Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros
« Reply #60 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 02:11 AM »
;D It lost at the Sundance. Umuwi si Maximo Oliveros ng luhaan..

It's still a start. Being accepted in Sundance is a step to the right direction.

Offline llanesmark777

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 11:42 AM »
Although I understand the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I can't help but express my own regarding your review.  Ping Medina is good here but to actually critic the film just because the actors weren't really homosexuals is a bit unfair.

I can't help but express my own regarding your review? entitled to their own opinion? Wow!!! You kill my post on this one. You know what, Do make or directed some movies on your own? or should I say are you involved or worked before in a production like movies or film? why don't you look on your opinions on the movies that you've seen. You always criticize movies youve just seen. Almost everyday, not only 1 but 2 or more post that you criticize every film that sometimes you "feel like you're a movie expert" Are you working? or studying? Get a life man!!! It's a mistake that you criticize my post. I have the right why I do such criticisms on other movies, because Ive studied film already when I was in college and I worked on some Production and Indie films as well. Get a life. Dont watch movies all day and all night then post your views like a so called expert. You dont know me man!!!

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 11:56 AM »

I can't help but express my own regarding your review? entitled to their own opinion? Wow!!! You kill my post on this one. You know what, Do make or directed some movies on your own? or should I say are you involved or worked before in a production like movies or film? why don't you look on your opinions on the movies that you've seen. You always criticize movies youve just seen. Almost everyday, not only 1 but 2 or more post that you criticize every film that sometimes you "feel like you're a movie expert" Are you working? or studying? Get a life man!!! It's a mistake that you criticize my post. I have the right why I do such criticisms on other movies, because Ive studied film already when I was in college and I worked on some Production and Indie films as well. Get a life. Dont watch movies all day and all night then post your views like a so called expert. You dont know me man!!!

Was I in any way disrespectful in my reply to deserve this kind of flaming? If you think your reviews are the end-all of all film criticism, please make a disclaimer in your reviews that your views are not subject to interpolation or discussion or better yet, make your own website and stop posting in a message board where anyone can reply and share their thoughts. I have no experience in film production and I do not have a degree in film studies but I don't think that my lack of any formal education in film makes my voice any less than anybody's in this board. I don't feel like I'm a movie expert... I watch movies to relieve myself of stress and I write because I like to write. I don't go to this board to show off unlike other people who shove into other people's faces what they have done and what they have achieved. I always thought this board is for film discussion, looks like I'm mistaken since it's pretty obvious that you want discussion disallowed. Lastly, you don't know me either man, so stop judging me personally. I'd be cool if you judged my comment academically but what you did was a direct assault to my person.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2006 at 12:28 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 12:20 PM »
I think oggsmoggs was just expressing his opinion llanesmark, regarding one of the actors in the film. Peace to both of you guys!

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2006 at 12:22 PM by keating »

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 12:27 PM »
Seconding Keating's reaction. Everyone has right to opinion- - -in this case, should be an academic opinion.

Nothing personal, Mark, but I think you shouldn't have reacted like that. :)

and yup (just got off Miss Congeniality 2 on cable, may hang-over pa, haha  ;D), peace guys! :)

Offline everythingyouwant

• Collector
  • You can have everything you want....
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Feb 12, 2006 at 08:52 PM »
meron na bang DVD nito?where?how much?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 11:58 AM »
just got back from a screening of Maximo Oliveros at the New York Film Festival's New Films New Directors series and i found the movie quite interesting. although there were bits and pieces of the Gregorio Fernandez classic Malvarosa but the movie still stood on it's own. the only problem i had with the movie was the weak central preformance by Nathan Lopez as Maxi. he was able to fulfill the physical demands of the role but he didn't quite grasp the emotional core of his character. the same could be said for J.R. Valentin who played Victor the cop who was Maxi's object of affection.  the best performance in the film was essayed by Ping Medina who played Bogs one of Maxi's brother. he reminded me so much of a very young Pen Medina. i started to wonder was it coincidental that they almost have the same name? it was an impressive film debut and i was so happy to have seen the turn out of movie goers at this afternoon's screening. just shows that people would flock to the theaters to watch a very good movie.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:11 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:00 PM »
Ping Medina I think was related to Pen Medina, or I could be wrong also. MAXI got acccolades also from Berlin Film Fest.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:03 PM »
oh yeah from the Kinderfest just like Magnifico. Raymond Lee was also at the screening kanina. tomorrow they will have a new filmmakers' forum to be filmed by HBO Aureus will be one of the directors to be featured. sana makahabol ako...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:05 PM »
Did you met the writer, Michicko Yamamoto? She's a damn cute daw.  ;)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:09 PM »
no she wasn't there... only the director and producer. they showed the movie in digi beta format. much better than blowing up teh mini dv image into 35mm like what they did to Masahista kaya nahilo ako sa panonood. at least for Maximo they showed the movie in the best quality possible. the venue where they showed it is one of the best art houses here in New York.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:12 PM »
wasn't J.R. Valentin one of Francine Prieto's suitors in Bridal Shower? he had a different screen name then...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:13 PM »
Yamamoto only wrote two screenplays so far but I'm a fan already. I liked MAGNIFICO so much.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:14 PM »
wasn't J.R. Valentin one of Francine Prieto's suitors in Bridal Shower? he had a different screen name then...

Yeah its him, Jo.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:14 PM »
Ping Medina I think was related to Pen Medina

if he is then Pen Medina should be very proud. he's the only actor in the entire movie who gave an impressive performance.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:15 PM »
Yeah its him, Jo.

oh okay... i just can't remember his screen name in that movie. i have to check it sa credits ng Bridal dvd ko...

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:17 PM »
Yamamoto only wrote two screenplays so far but I'm a fan already. I liked MAGNIFICO so much.

i definitely agree with you on this one. Aureus also told the public kanina that Michiko and Raymond Lee has started a group for writers who would concentrate on writing scripts for digital films.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:18 PM »
Try to catch also BIG TIME if ever it will be screen in N.Y. MAGNIFICO is the only Filipino flm that can make me cry.

When I'm depressed I just pop it in my dvd player hehehe.  ;)
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:19 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:20 PM »
is this the one with Eddie Garcia?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:21 PM »
di mas lalo kang na-depress after watching Magnifico... i told Direk Maryo J. de los Reyes that the film never fails to make me cry...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:23 PM »
BIG TIME is from indie outfit also, Jo. It has resemblance to Gallaga's PINOY BLONDE.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:24 PM »
di mas lalo kang na-depress after watching Magnifico... i told Direk Maryo J. de los Reyes that the film never fails to make me cry...

Oo nga no? It's a catharsis for me.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:24 PM »
hopefully maipabas din dito ang Big Time.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:25 PM »
Oo nga no? It's a catharsis for me.

naku siguro nga... ako kasi pag medyo down i try to avoid watching depressing movies...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
naku siguro nga... ako kasi pag medyo down i try to avoid watching depressing movies...

Its perfect for Holy Week, jo.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #85 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
if he is then Pen Medina should be very proud. he's the only actor in the entire movie who gave an impressive performance.

Ping Medina is the son of Pen Medina. You guys have seen his work before -- he gave a very commendable performance as the young Paciano Rizal in Marilou Diaz Abaya's Rizal. :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:31 PM »
Whoa, that's him indie boi? Thanks for the info!

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:33 PM »
Ping Medina is the son of Pen Medina. You guys have seen his work before -- he gave a very commendable performance as the young Paciano Rizal in Marilou Diaz Abaya's Rizal. :)

thanks indie boi... so he was the young Paciano in Rizal? i have to watch the movie again. kaya pala kamukha ni Pen Medina.  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:38 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:35 PM »
The likes of Pen Medina, Angie Ferro, Vangie Labalan, Ama Quiambao should be given more meaty roles. They have no box-office clout, but can deliver great performance.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #89 on: Mar 26, 2006 at 12:39 PM »
Got the pleasure of chatting with Pen during the Centennial premiere of Rizal at Louie's THX. He was proud of Ping's performance in Rizal. According to Pen, Abaya was looking for a child who looks like Pen Medina. Pen volunteered his son since they only wanted a look-alike and not really gunning for an experienced child actor. He was surprised that his son acted so well considering it was his first acting gig.