Author Topic: tono violin (pre-amp) reviews  (Read 7168 times)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
tono violin (pre-amp) reviews
« on: Nov 28, 2005 at 04:08 PM »
sirs, any reviews of the violin?
First and most impt - congrats to our pinoy bros. from WS for their new tono violin! More power!
With due respect to WS guys, i am posting here and not in WS, sort of, to get reactions from a distance, from outside looking in. Kasi sa WS puro papuri na ang nabasa ko. Nakaka-tempt to join the bandwagon but i'v heard some comments before regarding new products (amps, speakers etc) that were hyped, overrated? ang dami daw bumili agad but after a few months nasa buyandsell marketplace binebenta na. kaya pag nag-"rollcall" eh puro "ex-xxx amp ex-yyy speaker' owners.

Again, sirs, let me reiterate lest i be misunderstood, i am not looking for negative reviews. just call a spade, a spade. I really hope that the tono violin is the real deal. and more locally produced audio products to follow soon! Perhaps WS guys can reach out and have a listening demo session for non-WS members, tube newbies and curious non-tuberos?
thanx! 
peace :)

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
Re: tono violin (pre-amp) reviews
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2005 at 05:38 PM »
to be honest...it's really an excellent pre-amp...i've had the opportunity to listen to 2 set-ups...and the violin literally throws the previous pre-amps out of the window...but this is me, pare...excellent sonics, detail...never heard a pre-amp this good...if i only had a power amp, i'd buy one...but for now, no need for it...maybe january...thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline BuLLeT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • No One Gets Left Behind, Rangers Lead the Way
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2005 at 09:05 PM »
oweidah,

Don't read the reviews....... don't believe the so called "hypes".... Listen for your self and be the judge if the force will be with you......... ;D

In short, audition it and sense if you can feel the mantra or not.

Cheers ;)

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2005 at 09:35 PM »
oweidah,

Don't read the reviews....... don't believe the so called "hypes".... Listen for your self and be the judge if the force will be with you......... ;D

In short, audition it and sense if you can feel the mantra or not.

Cheers ;)

agree with bullet...audition...maybe for those who have "experienced" the violin, they're satisfied and happy, but remember this is system dependent...however, all violin owners swear that they'll put their previous pre-amps either inside their box or post them in the marketplace :D :D :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline amped

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2005 at 12:55 AM »
Hi oweidah,

I purchased a Violin a few weeks ago.  It has replaced my Carver preamp (which ran with a Carver SS amp).   No regrets and all praises!  I am very happy with my buy. :D 

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2005 at 05:56 AM »
agree with bullet...audition...maybe for those who have "experienced" the violin, they're satisfied and happy, but remember this is system dependent...however, all violin owners swear that they'll put their previous pre-amps either inside their box or post them in the marketplace :D :D :D

oweidah,

Bullet is right. audition it in your OWN setup.

Superman is right. system dependent yan.

supes,

"post them in the market place"

inaabangan ko nga eh.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2005 at 06:05 AM by Audioboy »

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2005 at 07:13 AM »
oweidah,

Bullet is right. audition it in your OWN setup.

Superman is right. system dependent yan.

supes,

"post them in the market place"

inaabangan ko nga eh.  ;D

ako rin eh...especially yung naka-turbo-charged FT audio passive sa kabila, hehehe! :D :D :D nai-kahon ng wala sa oras ng dahil sa violin...it made the CJ/cremona combo sing with more gusto...hey, i have a new discovery...december 16, sa bahay na lang! :D :D :D

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2005 at 06:43 AM »
ako rin eh...especially yung naka-turbo-charged FT audio passive sa kabila, hehehe! :D :D :D nai-kahon ng wala sa oras ng dahil sa violin...it made the CJ/cremona combo sing with more gusto...hey, i have a new discovery...december 16, sa bahay na lang! :D :D :D

from passive to active preamp. This probably made the change in sound.  ;D

anong discovery yan?

Offline solidss

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2006 at 04:42 PM »
Hype? Maybe? Don't know? Who owns the product ba? Whose website is it marketed?
Audition? Why don't you? But do you have one na ba (w/ tube)? for comparison?
Spade a Spade? How could you get an honest to goodness review if the one of the first to
answer is the the one who posted "Do You want to own a violin?" and at his post  you will read
"if interested please pm or better call this no.?" HUH!
What's the company history of products performance? Is it reasonably priced?
Clue: read the various posts of buyers w/ complaint!
At the official website support, levi, Doc jr, Iceman, Vrion and even the one 1st to post his
review here on the preamp complains of the bugging humms on their 300B Tono amp. Is it
the transformer? but i read for a fact that one amp repaired and modified by Rene aggravated
the hummm. Transformer na lang di napalitan.
READ ALSO: Warning when using used 6sn7: A recent tono violin purchaser killed his ss amp
because of the shrill distorted sound created by the preamp. Repairman's assessment: must
be the NOS oldey tube!
Auditiom: there are other locally made preamp not hyped but okay na reasonably priced pa.
Audition them first!

Offline wraith

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2006 at 06:59 PM »
Hi.  I own a unit, and I would like to share my observations. 

But first, I would like to say that I am not associated with any shop or group.  I do not even personally know the WS-Tono guys, so I hope I am able to give unbiased opinions about the Violin.

My setup is as follows: 
Usher CD-1 >> Tono Violin >> Adcom GFA535mkII >> Wharfe Diamond 9.6. 
As for the 6sn7 tubes, I alternate between the stock Electro-Harmonix, and a pair of NOS Sylvania 6sn7w.

pros:
1. Increadible Gain.  My amp is only 60wpc, but with the pre-amp gain at 9o'clock, it makes my floorstanders sing with gusto.
2. Responds well to 6sn7 tube rolling.  Switching for the stock E-H to the Sylvanias, the hormonics that the Sylvania's are known for becomes very apparent.
3. Controlled an authoritative bass.  Bass is not slow and sloppy at all.
4. Great treble extension.  No extension was lost as compared to when I was running a pure SS setup.

cons:
1. The price.  This may discourage some.
2. The stock EH 6sn7 is nothing to rave about.  IMO, they sound very solid-state.  Very analytical in nature, and lacks the 2nd-order harmonics that characterizes most tube setups.
3. There is a ~30 second hum though the speakers when I initially turn it on.  I am not sure whether this is due to the tubes warming up, or due to pre-amp construction.  But after that initial 30 seconds, the hum is gone.

So is it worth it?

For me, yes it is.  Regardless of the price, its very much worth it because of the tube rolling capability, its like having many pre-amps in 1 unit.  And again, it responds well to tube-rolling.  This is probably the last pre-amp that I will ever own.  Other than tube-rolling, the biggest Pro for me is probably the Gain, followed by the bass control.  And by experience, good bass control is a sign of a robust power supply.

BUT, potential buyes who have pure SS setups should not expect a STOCK Violin to make damatic changes to their system.  Well, you will immediaty notice the goo amount of Gain, but with the stock tubes, there is not much change in tonality.  This is not the fault of the Violin; rather, its the Violin being transparent to the characteristics of the equiped tubes, with the stock E-H sounding very SS-like.  Once you start tube-rolling, this is where the Violin (along with the newly-introduved tubes) really imparts its personality on the sound of your system.  The only problem with tube rolling is that good 6sn7's are hard to find, and are not exactly cheap either.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006 at 12:24 AM by sonic boom »

Offline NADphyle

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 04:31 PM »
Will using this paired to my SS Integarated amp (NAD C320BEE or Sansui AU-X911DG) be a good idea? :)

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 05:11 PM »
depends on your integrated if it will allow...

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 05:35 PM »
Will using this paired to my SS Integarated amp (NAD C320BEE or Sansui AU-X911DG) be a good idea? :)

Contact Philjonc - I auditioned his for sale Tono Violin mated to a Nad & Triangle Titus speakers - sounds good! ;)

Offline NADphyle

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 07:57 PM »
depends on your integrated if it will allow...

I'm wondering...   if you connect the preamp to an integrated amp anywhere.... say in AUX and you have TONE control turned off..., does it mean that you are directly connected to the power amp part of your integrated amplifier? and somewhat like "bypassing" your built in pre-amp inside your integrated amp.  ???

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: Aug 11, 2008 at 08:24 PM »
I'm wondering...   if you connect the preamp to an integrated amp anywhere.... say in AUX and you have TONE control turned off..., does it mean that you are directly connected to the power amp part of your integrated amplifier? and somewhat like "bypassing" your built in pre-amp inside your integrated amp.  ???

look for the "main in" at the back of your nad, thats where you connect your preamp.
bring your amp over at my place, we'll see what we can do.
sms me 09179083982, jon

btw, tnx bro mac ;D

Offline NADphyle

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Aug 12, 2008 at 04:44 PM »
Jon, tnx for the very generous offer.  I'll see what I can do.