Author Topic: Buying advice please...  (Read 818 times)

Offline es

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Buying advice please...
« on: Dec 06, 2005 at 03:29 PM »
Hi. I'm buying a new dvd player this month and would like to try the generics.

Basically, I'm looking for a model with 5.1 analog outputs, plays divx, and can decode Pro-Logic I and II in addition to Dolby Digital and DTS.

My main concern is the Dolby Prologic I & II decoding capability. It's very hard to find since there's usually no external indication of this capability. Even in branded players I am only aware of the LG 9934 and Philips 5500s which has this built in.

Any advice generic or otherwise? Budget is P6000 max.
Thanks!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: Buying advice please...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2005 at 04:36 PM »
I'm not so sure if there are generic DVD players with DPL II capability.  There may be some Pioneer brands that do and your budget seems to accomodate them. 
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2005 at 04:37 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline p.dividdy2

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Galit Na Si Manoy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2005 at 01:21 AM »
generics these days have tremendous iffy quality go branded with your budget most branded players will have something to offer after owning and still do several players generic and branded i would strongly suggest philips players..go the 5500s!
PinoyBazaar - Shop Easy!
http://pinoybazaar.forumotion.com

Offline es

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005 at 07:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the lowcost Pioneers don't have 5.1 analog outputs as listed in the Pioneer thread. Only the top end model has it but it's out of my budget.

I'm currently leaning towards the Philips 5500s because I already have the 5100K and it's quite good. Also, I can't seem to find the LG anymore at SM Appliances Bacoor, come to think of it, even their TVs are gone - just empty display racks where the LGs used to be.

I just thought I should know my other alternatives, if any, before I buy. Any other suggestions?