Author Topic: Subtitle errors?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Subtitle errors?
« on: Dec 16, 2005 at 01:36 PM »
Can anyone explain discrepancies between the subtitles on DVDs and the actual words spoken on-screen?

At first, i thought subtitles were probably transcribed from the original scripts of movies, with a modicum of automation. but i've been watching some documentaries lately (i.e. there is no script) and still, there are discrepancies.

Usually, the subtitles are truncated to do away with stuttering or repetitive idiosyncratic phrases. but in some cases, some words and/or sentences are paraphrased, when what is said onscreen already works.

So, what explains this? human error? foul play?

If i were solely dependent on subtitles, i'd prefer that they be dead-on accurate rather than digested for me.
Quo vadis?

Offline qwerty765

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • ako ay isang lyama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Subtitle errors?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2005 at 06:33 PM »
Same with close captions (for the deaf), the subtitles are truncated for the reader to read it before the scene changes. If the subtitles are not truncated, you may not be able to finish reading it. Sometimes, they just don't truncate it but actually replaces words with synonyms, but just the same the context of what they are actually saying remains the same.

Of course with pirated DVDs, the subtitles are more often wrong because they try to transcript it according to what they hear and not from actual scripts, kaya minsan nakakatawa yung subtitle kasi "sounds-like" yung lumalabas na subtitle  ;D