Author Topic: Pinoy HORROR films!  (Read 54078 times)

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pinoy HORROR films!
« on: Dec 26, 2005 at 12:20 PM »
 :o

with the continuing onslaught of Asian horror films, my cousin and I got curious about what are the best Pinoy horror films to come out of Pinoy Hollywood?  I know this is the perfect place to ask because we have many connoissuers of Pinoy cinema over here. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2005 at 12:21 PM by Sharkey »
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
Re: Pinoy HORROR films!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2005 at 12:52 PM »
"feng shui" is on top in terms of quality, storyline, and direction...

"sigaw" is good, too! it gained int'l recognition...

"pa-siyam" is more of a psychological thriller more than ahorror but commendable enough...
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2005 at 03:28 PM »
Can ITIM be considered a horror film? If yes, then add it to the list. Also, I can't mention enough the famous Pridyider  (sp?) episode in Shake Rattle and Roll, directed by no-less than Ishmael Bernal, where Janice de Belen is devoured by a refrigerator!

Oh, this ain't horror, but it's very gothic in mood and look: Brocka's Bukas Madilim Bukas, the finak segment in Tatlo, Dalawa Isa.
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2005 at 03:29 PM by RMN »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 07:05 PM »
I can only recall the loudest scream of Susan Roces upon seeing the ghost of her dead sister played by Rosanna Ortiz in Celso Ad Castillo's PATAYIN MO SA SINDAK SI BARBARA and the use of broken mirrors to express the impending doom. And that few scenes alone make this movie a certified cult classic!

SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLE the original trilogy produced by Athena Prods of Douglas Quijano is another cult classic.

ITIM can also be considered a horror film in the psychological genre.

SA INIT NG APOY wherein the late George Estregan's portrayal as the devil, still unmatched by any actor in local cinema. Creepy, violent and there's exorcism also. Nice location of the haunted house shot in Baguio City.

TIYANAK is pure fun, Don Escudero's production design is excellent and the movie became a phenomenal hit in 1988.

PA SIYAM complete my lists for the best pinoy horror films.

And when you mention comedy-horror, one of the episode in Ishmael Bernal's ZOOM, ZOOM SUPERMAN wherein Ariel Ureta was being chase by a vampire was memorable and hilarious.

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2005 at 07:50 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 02:48 PM »
I agree with Itim, Shake, Rattle and Roll (at least the first segment), and Patayin sa Sindak si Barbara. I'd throw in at least one segment in one Shake sequel (I liked "Ang Witawit"), The "Ang Kuba" section of "Magandang Hatinggabi." Pa Siyam is visually and tonally pretty good, tho emotionally and dramatically a tad simplistic.

I'd also add O'Hara's Halimaw sa Banga, a great little short segment with a remarkably complex story between father, stepmother and child in the foreground and the ominous hint of a war between angels in the background. And O'Hara's underrated, little seen Manananggal in Manila, an ambitious script yoked to a terrible no-budget production where the people and even the monsters when they eventually surface are not what they seem.

Then there's the De Leon segment of Fe, Esperanza, Caridad, easily the best of the three, and one of the best shorts involving the Devil that I know of. And De Leon's great Terror is a Man--a moody, visually and dramatically complex retelling of The Island of Dr. Moreau.

And maybe my favorite Filipino horror film--but then it's so much more as well, a love story, war picture, political expose and celebration of Filipino poetry--Pangarap ng Puso. With a real horrorshow ending.

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 02:57 PM »
Noel, where can you see Halimaw sa Banga, Manananggal in Manila and Fe, Esperanza, Caridad?

And is Magandang Hatinggabi a trilogy like Shake, Rattle and Roll?
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:15 PM »
Halimaw and Fe Esperanza should be on Cinema One. Manananggal is Regal, maybe they have tapes, or online ordering. Magandang Hatinggabi is recent, and yes, it's an omnibus.

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:17 PM »
So Halimaw and Mananaggal are feature films?

and Fe, Esperanza and Caridad is an omnibus film?
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:20 PM by Sharkey »
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:30 PM »
Manananggal is a feature--and I do think it shows on Cinema One. Halimaw is yoked to another short, a forgettable Christopher de Leon directed segment based on that A-Ha! video.

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:39 PM »
Hahahahaha!

okay what is the title of the double film that Halimaw comes out in?  Forgive all my questions, i just want to know, if ever i come across them.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:40 PM by Sharkey »
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 05:15 PM »
You know what, I don't know. All anyone ever talks about is Halimaw sa Banga. I can't even remember what De Leon's Halimaw episode is titled. The whole shebang could be Halimaw.

This could be a job for Jojo D.

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 11:34 PM »
yeah, even I remember that film from when I was a kid.  Thanks, Noel!
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2005 at 02:36 AM »
hmmm, the other film I may have remembered as a kid might have been Mga Kuwento ni Lola Basyang. 

I distinctly remember a scene though, where someone who I remember to be Janno Gibbs singing a song to Manilyn Reynes.  But I may be wrong.

I also know I saw that Shake, Rattle and Roll segment with Ana Roces.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2005 at 02:41 AM by Sharkey »
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2005 at 12:10 PM »
yeah, even I remember that film from when I was a kid. Thanks, Noel!

No prob, man.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2005 at 02:51 PM »
Manananggal is a feature--and I do think it shows on Cinema One. Halimaw is yoked to another short, a forgettable Christopher de Leon directed segment based on that A-Ha! video.

HALIMAW SA BANGA/KOMIKS was a twin biller during the 1986 MMFF. And yeah, its bad the KOMIKS episode by Christopher de Leon.

I always forgot HALIMAW SA BANGA. It has great character development and Maritess Gutierrez as the monster was really good.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2005 at 02:55 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 06:45 PM »
More Pinoy Horror Films that I wish the print is still available:

PAGSAPIT NG DILIM- Perla Bautista plays the manananggal in this creepy, excellent horror movie. Set in a barrio where she attacks at night and devour her victims. Boots Anson Roa and Dante Rivero complete the supporting cast. Check out the most horrifying scene where the manananggal attacked one of her victim inside the hospital through the window and Boots Anson Roa as the doctor was mistook by the folks in the barrio as the aswang.

KARUNUNGANG ITIM (Black Magic)- Ramon Zamora leads the cast while the others I already forgotten as he battles a creature that uses his tongue to eat pregnant women.

LANGIT, LUPA at IMPIYERNO- there is one unforgettable moment of shocking image where they show the visuals and visions of hell in this movie. Great visuals but still, I can't seem to find out who made the movie.

These three movies have been replayed over and over again in channel 13 back in the 80's.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2006 at 07:40 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 08:02 PM »
there's also the omnibus Daigdig Ng Sindak At Lagim. the first episode Spirit Of The Glass starred Cloyd Robinson, Angge, Vina Cansino & Fanny Serrano to name a few, while the second Ulo Ng Apo featured Liza Lorena. the third one Lihim Ng Villaverde with Celia Rodriguez, Ronaldo Valdez, George Estregan, Rez Cortez & Dick Israel and the last episode Aagawin Kita, Sor Maria starring Gina Pareno, Ruel Vernal & Franco Rivero. Miss Rita Gomez was the host introducing each of the episode but there's trhis interesting twist at the end. the movie was produced by MVM Cinema and directed by Maria Saret & Ruben Arthur Nicdao.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 08:11 PM »
there's also the omnibus Daigdig Ng Sindak At Lagim. the first episode Spirit Of The Glass starred Cloyd Robinson, Angge, Vina Cansino & Fanny Serrano to name a few, while the second Ulo Ng Apo featured Liza Lorena. the third one Lihim Ng Villaverde with Celia Rodriguez, Ronaldo Valdez, George Estregan, Rez Cortez & Dick Israel and the last episode Aagawin Kita, Sor Maria starring Gina Pareno, Ruel Vernal & Franco Rivero. Miss Rita Gomez was the host introducing each of the episode but there's trhis interesting twist at the end. the movie was produced by MVM Cinema and directed by Maria Saret & Ruben Arthur Nicdao.

Four episodes Jo, in one film? Was it scary?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 08:14 PM »
i loved the Lihim Ng Villaverde episode the most... it was so interesting a different tale of revenge. of course i wouldn't want to divulge the entire plot. just wait til you see it. kasama ito sa mga ipapadala ko sa'yo. kasama din ang At Lumaganap Ang Lagim with Rosemarie, Ricky Belmonte & Eddie Garcia.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 08:17 PM »
i loved the Lihim Ng Villaverde episode the most... it was so interesting a different tale of revenge. of course i wouldn't want to divulge the entire plot. just wait til you see it. kasama ito sa mga ipapadala ko sa'yo. kasama din ang At Lumaganap Ang Lagim with Rosemarie, Ricky Belmonte & Eddie Garcia.

God, you are such a blessing, man! May your tribe increase!  :)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 08:18 PM »
i also included the Elizabeth Oropesa starrer which she also produced Hagkan Mo Ang Dugo Sa Kamay Ni Venus...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 08:22 PM »
Thanks, Jojo. I am currently compiling some of Pinoy Horror films from the 70's to the 80's. The problem always is the availability.

Do you know someone at channel 13? Maybe we can dig their room and sleuth all those rare movies, man.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 08:25 PM »
Thanks, Jojo. I am currently compiling some of Pinoy Horror films from the 70's to the 80's. The problem always is the availability.

Do you know someone at channel 13? Maybe we can dig their room and sleuth all those rare movies, man.

i know someone sa channel 4. are you planning some sort of a retrospective? that will just be great! ako nga i've been going to places where they still have old Filipino films... it's where i got these titles. nakakatuwa nga since bedridden ako ngayon, i was able to catch up with all these films.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 08:34 PM »
i know someone sa channel 4. are you planning some sort of a retrospective? that will just be great! ako nga i've been going to places where they still have old Filipino films... it's where i got these titles. nakakatuwa nga since bedridden ako ngayon, i was able to catch up with all these films.

Hey, get well soon. I'm just compiling and will write an article about it.  :)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 08:35 PM »
great! i hope you get to write about Pinoy horror films soon!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 08:48 PM »
Jojo were you able to dig PATAYIN SA SINDAK SI BARBARA? Still no sked on Cinema One.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2006 at 01:42 AM »
no luck, but i've been trying though...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 06:57 PM »
DAIGDIG NG SINDAK AT LAGIM (Maria Saret/Arthur Nicdao)

Four episodes narrated by the late Rita Gomez. Spoilers alert!

The first one is SPIRIT OF THE GLASS with a bunch of friends having a good time after party by going to a haunted house and start to contact the spirits inside. Most of the actors, I really dont know except for Fanny Serrano who's name synonymous in beautification and Angge, yes, the manager of some stars. This is the best among the lot, with pure shock and comic relief value that will haunt you when you go to sleep. Too bad this episode is very skimpy, only 20 minutes.

ULO NG APO stars Liza Lorena who collects antiques and live in Baguio. Then one day she gets a bargain from an Igorot woman and gave her a necklace with a head. Ending is so predictable already and you know what will happen to Liza Lorena.

LIHIM NG VILLAVERDE has the brilliant Celia Rodriguez in the cast with Ronaldo Valdez & George Estregan.  Estregan is synonymous with those Satan roles but here he turns out as the victim and thank God not a devil once again and exact revenge among his tormentors!

AAGAWIN KITA.....SOR MARIA depicts the battle of good vs. evil once again. A devil played brilliantly by Ruel Vernal is stalking Gina Pareno a nun in a convent. There are some hallucinatory sequences and most creepy was the rising of Pareno from the dead!

These four episodes are like B-movies, gritty and full of realism and creativeness that you can find in Pinoy movies back from the 70's when Road Runner and artsy special effects were not yet in existence. I wish to go back again from the 70's!

You can never find anymore this film except from Jojo de Vera's film archive. Thanks again, man. I can now league this one to the first SHAKE, RATTLE & ROLE.  :)
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2006 at 12:42 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 04:40 AM »
Jojo, 'Aagawin Kita' sounds like it was at least inspired by the Caridad portion of Nora's Fe, Esperanza, Caridad. Is it?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 07:41 AM »
Noel, you should see DAIGDIG NG SINDAK AT LAGIM. It has guaranteed shock value and pure fun!
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2006 at 07:43 AM by keating »