Author Topic: Magnum AMP5121 (DD & DTS Ready AM/FM Karaoke Amplifier)  (Read 5961 times)

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
Magnum AMP5121 (DD & DTS Ready AM/FM Karaoke Amplifier)
« on: Dec 28, 2005 at 12:46 PM »
In my search for a good sounding but cost friendly generic amp with more than enough power to drive a power hungry speaker (i used wharfedale modus 3 before i discarded it), I encountered this Magnum receiver (AMP 5121). This has a built-in AM/FM digital tuner with remote control. It has 5.1 channel input ready for an outboard DD & DTS decoder or a DVD player with built-in DD & DTS decoder. To my surprise, this generic AVR drives a power hungry speaker like wharfedale modus 3 (86db sensitivity) without much effort. At 9 o'clock volume, the bass already sounded as if you have an active subwoofer already.  I used Sakura AV-377 before but AV-377 cannot drive the modus 3 efficiently (payat ang tunog nya), that's why i sold it.

Guys, for those of you who are looking for an entry level but cost friendly HT and karaoke set up, you may try Magnum AMP5121. The AM/FM tuner of this AVR in my opinion is far better than Sakura and Konzert. Powerwise, it beats the two effortlessly. For the fronts, it gives out 250 watts per channel and for the center and surrounds, 70 watts per channel (i think its PMPO). The only shortcoming of Magnum AMP5121 is that like Sakura and Konzert, there is no option for subwoofer management because from the 5.1 DVD player, pass thru lang yung LFE channel sa amplifier. But for Php 3.5k (negotiable pa) it is already a steal. I bought mine at Nintendo Electronics sa Ever Commonwealth. Meron din siguro nito sa Raon.

Offline hattori_hanzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Magnum AMP5121 (DD & DTS Ready AM/FM Karaoke Amplifier)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 01:00 PM »
In my search for a good sounding but cost friendly generic amp with more than enough power to drive a power hungry speaker (i used wharfedale modus 3 before i discarded it), I encountered this Magnum receiver (AMP 5121). This has a built-in AM/FM digital tuner with remote control. It has 5.1 channel input ready for an outboard DD & DTS decoder or a DVD player with built-in DD & DTS decoder. To my surprise, this generic AVR drives a power hungry speaker like wharfedale modus 3 (86db sensitivity) without much effort. At 9 o'clock volume, the bass already sounded as if you have an active subwoofer already.  I used Sakura AV-377 before but AV-377 cannot drive the modus 3 efficiently (payat ang tunog nya), that's why i sold it.

Guys, for those of you who are looking for an entry level but cost friendly HT and karaoke set up, you may try Magnum AMP5121. The AM/FM tuner of this AVR in my opinion is far better than Sakura and Konzert. Powerwise, it beats the two effortlessly. For the fronts, it gives out 250 watts per channel and for the center and surrounds, 70 watts per channel (i think its PMPO). The only shortcoming of Magnum AMP5121 is that like Sakura and Konzert, there is no option for subwoofer management because from the 5.1 DVD player, pass thru lang yung LFE channel sa amplifier. But for Php 3.5k (negotiable pa) it is already a steal. I bought mine at Nintendo Electronics sa Ever Commonwealth. Meron din siguro nito sa Raon.

Sir, post some pics naman and specification for the benefit of others whos willing to audition this AV reciever.
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 01:25 PM »
OK. Will try to take a digital picture at home but the problem is i don't know how to post pictures.

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 05:34 PM »
OK. Will try to take a digital picture at home but the problem is i don't know how to post pictures.

Sir, register to www.photobucket.com tapos upload mo yung mga pictures taken...

Welcome to the world of Audio and HT...

well be looking forward at your audio setup pictures, comments and suggestion.
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Offline rustyns

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 08:27 AM »
Hmmm... interesting ito! Medyo matagal na akong nagpaplanong bumili ng sakura av387a. If this is indeed better than sakura av387a and konzert av300r, dito na ako.

Since the comparison was made between this and sakura av377, tanong ko lang if anybody has made side by side comparisons with sakura av387a and konzert av300r?

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2006 at 02:19 AM by rustyns »

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 12:20 PM »
Sir, register to www.photobucket.com tapos upload mo yung mga pictures taken...

Welcome to the world of Audio and HT...

well be looking forward at your audio setup pictures, comments and suggestion.

Bro, after uploading my pictures to photobucket.com, how can i post these pictures to PinoDVD? Kindly enlighten me further. Thanks.

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 06:49 PM »
Sir, if you notice, there are 3 links below the pictures, right click on the "Img" link, then paste here on your post reply box.

these is easy, click on the (eg. "") like these sample link. Then copy mo lang and paste it here...
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Offline rustyns

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2006 at 06:06 AM »
Nakita ko ito sa raon shopping center - 3150 pesos. Was not able to audition dahil nagbubukas pa lang yung store.

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2006 at 02:27 PM »
Here is a picture of Magnum AMP5121 using a camphone:

Offline Jolam1431

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2006 at 12:08 PM »
Boss Juneaki how bout the sound quality when playing music? Oks rin ba? or have you tried playing concert dvd's?

Thanks and God bless!

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2006 at 01:09 PM »
Boss Juneaki how bout the sound quality when playing music? Oks rin ba? or have you tried playing concert dvd's?

Thanks and God bless!

I am now using this AVR as my living room HT Karaoke set up using a pair of Aiwa (semi) floorstanders as fronts, with Kenwood center and surrounds (cube type) and Ganz Klar sub, i would say it is great in music as well as in HT. I used to watch concert DVDs in the living room and i enjoy listening to it.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2006 at 01:15 PM by juneaki »

Offline jdg

• Collector
  • divx addict!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2006 at 01:10 PM »
The only shortcoming of Magnum AMP5121 is that like Sakura and Konzert, there is no option for subwoofer management because from the 5.1 DVD player, pass thru lang yung LFE channel sa amplifier.

anong ibig sabihin nito? ???

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2006 at 01:23 PM »
It means that you will not be able to control the volume of the active sub using the main volume of Magnum amp. You will need to adjust the volume using the volume control of the sub itself. Another thing is that the sub preout of Magnum functions only on 5.1 DVD mode. Kung naka-tuner ka or analog CD or VCD, walang signal ang preout papunta ng active sub.