Author Topic: MMFF 2005  (Read 16965 times)

Offline oggsmoggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: MMFF 2005
« Reply #30 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 02:25 PM »
It's really not the ratings per se which is the problem but the flawed interpretation of what a movie for kids is supposed to be. I really don't care if they turn MMFF into a children's film festival but please, pretty please... enough with the sitcom-minded screenplays and the ghastly concentration on visual effects which can never ever ever surpass Hollywood standard. MMFF shows everything that is wrong with Philippine cinema. It shows how scared producers are that they have to block out all foreign films so that they can release their films (which I really don't have a problem with), but now that they have their exclusive two weeks, they release these joyless mess that according to my sources, are so mindlessly conceived. Film is first and foremost an industry that provides livelihood for plenty of people but please don't insult film by churning out these half-baked witless monstrosities. Now, hopefully the plea that digital films be included in next year's MMFF be allowed - that way the young filmmakers can show these aging hacks what Filipino filmmaking is truly about. Honestly, if it were the Cinemalaya films that were given these exclusive two week screenings, Filipinos' taste for films will gradually change. Have you seen the people in Pinoyexchange, all they talk about are boxoffice battles, star battles, and mindless fanatisicm. Nakakaawa. Parang awa niyo na Joel Lamangan, Gil Portes, at Joey Reyes - kung wala kayong balak magbago e magretire na lang kayo at di na kayo kailangan ng industriya.
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2005 at 03:29 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 03:18 PM »
Mulawin the Movie is a mixed between the TV series and Encantadia? What is that all about?  ;D

Half baked witless monstrosities?
Value my brain cells?

Advice taken. Thanks for the warning.  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2005 at 03:20 PM by riverfan »

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 03:27 PM »
so far I've heard that Mulawin sucks.  And from what i've seen from the trailer, it probably does.  they haven't even been able to put up their website yet and it's already screening!

I haven't heard any favorable reviews on any of the movies yet.  Sigh.
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Dec 27, 2005 at 06:50 PM »
It's really not the ratings per se which is the problem but the flawed interpretation of what a movie for kids is supposed to be. I really don't care if they turn MMFF into a children's film festival but please, pretty please... enough with the sitcom-minded screenplays and the ghastly concentration on visual effects which can never ever ever surpass Hollywood standard. MMFF shows everything that is wrong with Philippine cinema. It shows how scared producers are that they have to block out all foreign films so that they can release their films (which I really don't have a problem with), but now that they have their exclusive two weeks, they release these joyless mess that according to my sources, are so mindlessly conceived. Film is first and foremost an industry that provides livelihood for plenty of people but please don't insult film by churning out these half-baked witless monstrosities. Now, hopefully the plea that digital films be included in next year's MMFF be allowed - that way the young filmmakers can show these aging hacks what Filipino filmmaking is truly about. Honestly, if it were the Cinemalaya films that were given these exclusive two week screenings, Filipinos' taste for films will gradually change. Have you seen the people in Pinoyexchange, all they talk about are boxoffice battles, star battles, and mindless fanatisicm. Nakakaawa. Parang awa niyo na Joel Lamangan, Gil Portes, at Joey Reyes - kung wala kayong balak magbago e magretire na lang kayo at di na kayo kailangan ng industriya.

I guess, they should give back MMFF to the movie industry as the organizers and not MMDA. Remember those days wherein the likes of Mike de Leon, Brocka, Bernal, Castillo were competing with each other? Politics still rules when choosing the films for the festival. Its a pity that the films of Jeturian, Maryo J delos Reyes and the others were not chosen before they make the final lists.

And oggs before I forgot.....thanks for sacrificing your time and effort by watching the three films. I'll take your advice. Can't wait for your SRR review.  ;)

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 12:29 AM »
well I watched Kutob and it was a so bad it's good movie, as opposed to a so bad, it's bad movie.  I totally enjoyed myself making fun of the film.  So if you are into that, Kutob is for you.  2k5, unfortunately is another story.  ;D  Oh yeah, one more thing, Kutob is not a horror film, it's a suspense (not so thrilling) film.  Clever marketers... ;)
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:40 AM »
So I again brave the theaters to find some hidden gem within the failed Metro Manila Film Fesival...

First up is Joel Lamangan's Ako Legal Wife (**/*****). Supposedly just a spoof of the Mano Po movies, Ako Legal Wife later on gets branded as an installment to the film franchise. Ako Legal Wife, I have to admit, has some genuinely funny parts. I am no admirer of Lamangan (in fact, I loath this director), but somehow, almost miraculously, he does a serviceable job here. My main problem with the movie is the story and the script. The screenplay is a bloated piece of mess. I initially thought that the film would've concentrated on the three wives of a rich Chinese businessman but sadly discovered that the storywriters couldn't resist the temptation of pumping up the storyline with various issues including a closet homosexual sideplot that merely takes away much steam from the otherwise good chemistry between the three actresses who play the wives. Ako Legal Wife works when it is focused on how the three wives try to outdo each other but falters in every other department. The three actresses (Padilla, Picache, Quinto) are quite commendable.

Surprise, surprise... because I've finally found that hidden gem in this festival which is none other than Shake, Rattle and Roll 2k5 (sorry to disagree with you Joey), or at least two thirds of it. Uro dela Cruz's Poso (1/2*/*****) is a negligible eyesore. It's neither funny nor scary. In fact, it's gratingly annoying.

Rico Maria Ilarde's Aquarium (***/*****), although evidently flawed, is quite good.  The film is about a couple (Ogie Alcasid and Ara Mina) and their son, who recently moved to a condominium unit. Inside the condominium unit, they discover a mysterious aquarium. While the mother gets occasional warnings from a suspicious old woman regarding the aquarium, the family still makes use of the aquarium with dire consequences. Having seen two of Ilarde's films (Babaeng Putik and Sa Ilalim ng Cogon), I've come to understand that Ilarde is pretty much a genre director and he does well in his chosen genre. While Aquarium is definitely not an original concept, it makes good use of the tried and tested formula that made Philippine monster horrors from the past work. It's a silly plot but isn't all horror films centered around a silly concept. What grabbed me was how Ilarde somehow put in layers within the storyline. I liked the fact that the source of horror is an aquarium, something so innocent looking and harmless that turns out to be diabolically lethal. In the middle of the film, Alcasid makes a remark regarding his disbelief of the nature of the aquarium because we live in a modern world and therefore, spirits and curses no longer belong. Ilarde also makes brilliant use of Alcasid and Ara Mina by utilizing their offscreen personalities to advance the personalities of their onscreen characters (the philandering husband sideplot wouldn't probably have worked if it weren't for Alcasid's notoriety). Anyway, Aquarium is technically fine, and its shortcomings are merely the shortcomings of the genre it belongs to, but llarde makes wonders in the genre he chose.

Finally, we have Richard Somes' Lihim (****/*****). Somes was production designer to Erik Matti in Pa-Siyam and Exodus and this is his first venture into directing. I am pleasantly surprised how good Richard Somes is considering the fact that he is the most neophyte in the bunch. Firstly, he knows what he's doing. He is not going for a full feature film and works to occupy the meager running time that is allowed. He knows that the short film format is not the best medium for plot twists, complex narratives, and complicated characters so he goes for the good old straightforward plot that almost everyone is aware of. A man (Mark Anthony Fernandez) and his pregnant wife (Tanya Garcia) travel to a remote barrio (the explanation why there is never gathered but who cares?). It turns out that the barrio is populated by 'aswangs' and they're out to get the unborn child. Somes is just fantastic. This is probably the most daring horror film that came out of this country in the past years. First of all, the narrative is plainly straightforward and does not bother with indepth characterization but everything is there for you to just take the ride. The cinematography is surprisingly superb. There's this one long take that took me by surprise (the camera circles a room full of barrio people engaged in diabolical merrymaking while a harmonica plays in the background)- it just goes to show how Somes is so good at this and he's not afraid to show off his talent. Lihim transforms midway into a western when the man confronts the monsters to save his wife and unborn child (Somes completes the transformation with a sudden change of musical score and a surprisingly effective utilization of sudden zooms into the face of the hero ala Leone). Then comes the night of the attack which is effectively horrifying concluding in a final battle between the hero and the aswang chief (Nonong Buencamino). I am amazed how Somes (who is a very good production designer) decided not to too much prosthetics but merely cover the aswangs with mud. I'm not sure if Somes has watched any Guy Maddin film but the final battle reminds me of a Maddin film. Somes is clearly a fan of German expressionism as Buencamino eerily moves like Nosferatu and the cinematography, the abrupt editing can be likened to Maddin's modernist silent films. I seriously can't believe how Somes managed to get this film made especially within the Shake, Rattle and Roll series but thank God it got made. Somes is a talent to watch out for. He knows what he's doing. Brilliant!
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:41 AM by oggsmoggs »

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 10:13 AM »
i've seen AKO LEGAL WIFE and i admit some partsd were really funny, there were incidences that i was reallly laughing at a scene. but the film isn't perfect... still, i would want some decent films to be shown next year.. parang kahit anong pelikula pinapalabas na lang nila, may maisubmit lang sa MMFF '05.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2005 at 10:14 AM by vp_ortiz »

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 11:30 AM »
no problem, oggsmoggs, in movies there is great debate ;D
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline kobe

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 11:53 AM »
so far I've heard that Mulawin sucks.  And from what i've seen from the trailer, it probably does.  they haven't even been able to put up their website yet and it's already screening!

I haven't heard any favorable reviews on any of the movies yet.  Sigh.

We'll that is not the case as far as GMA is concerned  ;D.  Press release tells us that Mulawin is a must see movie blah blah blah???, then focusing the camera (probably just an optical illusion) to the hoards  ??? ??? of fans lining up to see the movie.   ;D ;D ;D

Oh, the effects is also a work of crap, even the Darna movies can top this one  8) 8) :D :D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 12:07 PM »
no problem, oggsmoggs, in movies there is great debate ;D

You should've finished the movie Joey, I can understand your disdain for the first two episodes (since both of them are what you'll generally expet from the franchise) but the last one just took me by surprise... I was totally caught unaware... Somes' film is just wonderful. Again, he knows the limitations of the short film medium and thus, he doesn't bother at all with boring sideplots and overhanded revelations. Somes goes straight to the point in grandiose style. I'm really surprised that this film got produced by Mother Lily because I know Mother Lily isn't too comfy with maverick directors and styles. Yet, here comes a film that switches moods, genres, and styles so often, that I might be able to consider it truly experimental. I hope this film gets separated from the trilogy of short films and gets an international film festival run.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2005 at 12:11 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 01:48 PM »
i tried to watch it, but i got dizzy.  that long shot of the villagers hanging out in the bar at the beginning put me off right away.  perhaps i'll watch it another time.  but after those first two shorts, you must forgive me if i didn't have the movie stamina to watch the last ;D
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 02:44 PM »
Oggs, that Lihim part of the trilogy sounds a bit like the Manilyn Reynes, Anna Roces, Aljon Jimenez episode of one of the SRR's (a town full of aswangs) -- of course, except for the end part which you mentioned.

Sounds interesting though, I'll try to give it a whirl this week.

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 02:53 PM »
that was shake rattle and roll 3 right?  the one which was a comedy?
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:25 PM »
Oggs, that Lihim part of the trilogy sounds a bit like the Manilyn Reynes, Anna Roces, Aljon Jimenez episode of one of the SRR's (a town full of aswangs) -- of course, except for the end part which you mentioned.

Sounds interesting though, I'll try to give it a whirl this week.

Yup, reminded me of that too, only this time, the villagers are grittier and you know right from the start that they're up to no good, and the couple aren't exactly the most romantic of couples but just a couple that God somehow threw to that remote corner of the world without any particular reason, and it's not the dialogue or the storyline that drives the film but the mood and the atmosphere.

that long shot of the villagers hanging out in the bar at the beginning put me off right away

That's what actually caught my attention. I swear it's either Mother Lily didn't watch the film or Somes fought a good fight for that long shot.

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:28 PM »
probably the former, lol!
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 03:34 PM »
probably the former, lol!

I agree... with the number of entries she has for this festival, Somes' little film would probably be the last in her long queue
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2005 at 04:14 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 11:31 PM »
We'll that is not the case as far as GMA is concerned  ;D.  Press release tells us that Mulawin is a must see movie blah blah blah???, then focusing the camera (probably just an optical illusion) to the hoards  ??? ??? of fans lining up to see the movie.   ;D ;D ;D

Oh, the effects is also a work of crap, even the Darna movies can top this one  8) 8) :D :D

Well I read this on some Forums, I want to share it here...

"Dahil sa mga plugs at balita tungkol sa pelikulang Mulawin The Movie
na napapanood namin sa mga news programs ng GMA 7, naalaala namin
tuloy ang kanilang slogan na pina-parrot ng kanilang mga newscasters
every day – "Walang kinikilingan, walang pinoprotektahan…" at kung
anu-ano pa.

Hindi maganda ngayon ang sitwasyon o set-up ng MMFF 2005 para sa GMA
7 dahil ang top three big films sa takilya ay mga pelikula ng mga
Kapuso stars. At dahil sa kanila ang isa, they cannot be fair to all.

Nire-report ng news team nila for some days now ang lakas nito sa
takilya na parang ito ang topnotcher, ayon sa supporters nina Vic
Sotto (Enteng Kabisote) at Bong Revilla (Exodus).

"One sided ang report nila, ang balita nila," ayon sa panig ni Vic.

"Para bang hindi kumikita ang Enteng at Exodus at natalo nila ang mga
pelikula namin dahil walang balita sila tungkol sa mga pelikulang
tumalo sa kanila."

Ayon mismo kay Vic, ang pelikula ng GMA 7 ay "good third" among the
grosser. Ayaw niya kasing gamitin ang phrase na "poor third".

Kaya kami, each time na sinasabi nina Mike at Mel at Arnold ang
phrase na "walang kinikilingan, walang pinoprotektahan" na tila buo
ang loob nila, smile na lang kami."

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Dec 28, 2005 at 11:44 PM »
Next is Mulawin: The Movie which was rated A by the cinema review board. I'm not sure what Rated-A means but this reviewer would think that A means Asswipe after seeing this piece of sticky crap. Mulawin the television series probably worked because of the commercials because being entreated to bad CGI, bad sets, bad acting, and bad scripting for two hours straight is mindnumbing torture. Mulawin: The Movie is one bloated television episode. The music is a lot louder and hence, more jarring. The special effects is a lot more special and hence, eyestraining. The storyline is a lot more complex hence, convulated. The acting is the same - television-trained acting which simply does not work in the big screen. This film is just too bad and unless you are a fan of the show or you're one of those groupies who think everything that GMA makes is pure gold, then go for it. Don't say I didn't warn you. */*****

Yeah it was being hyped by GMA as being the only Rated-A movie among the fantasy entry in this years MMFF.  It just makes me wonder na baka may kinalaman ang pagiging active member ni Butch Francisco (GMA talent) sa Cinema Evaluation Board sa pagkakaroon ng A Rating ng Mulawin?  ::)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Dec 29, 2005 at 03:17 PM »
I just saw Shake, Rattle & Roll 2k5 yesterday. And surprise there's still a gem even though its only one in the trilogy.

POSO was bad, even Ms. Gloria Romero can't save the episode from its mess. Silly plot, effects ripped from B-movies. AQUARIUM by Rico Ilarde was good, although imitated from countless Asian horror flicks, the technical craftmanship is better than the first episode. Ogie Alcasid is miscast in this episode.

I liked the last one by Richard Somes' LIHIM NG SAN JOAQUIN. The best among the trilogy, cinematography & production design are perfect! It helps really if you are a former production designer like Somes, you could certainly feel the horrifying atmosphere. I just hope he will not be another Mel Chionglo in the future. Loved the long tracking shots in this episode.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2005 at 03:20 PM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 30, 2005 at 12:39 AM »
I just got home from the preview screening of Joel Lamangan's Blue Moon which surprisingly, didn't suck...

Blue Moon almost proves the theory that what the failing Philippine film industry needs is good screenplays because the film works primarily because of its generally palatable screenplay. There are some major quibbles I have with the script, mostly from a historical point of view (I have doubts regarding the fact that the lead character Manuel Pineda could be a pilot during World War II as I'm pretty sure there was no Philippine Airforce yet). The Palanca Award winning screenplay was written by United States based writer Alan Tijano who Lamangan said he had never met in person. Interestingly, the screenplay is pretty simple to follow and has a genuine romantic hard to guide its plot movements. Lamangan works the screenplay well - finally mustering enough skill to actually create a decades-spanning story without being overly issues-oriented. In finality, Lamangan achieved, without ruining, what the screenplay essentially is, a touching fantastical and highly optimistic love story. While Blue Moon does contain sideplots (mostly concerning Pineda's son and grandson and their respective relationships), they are adequately ironed out without having to stray from the ultimate goal of the film. Blue Moon actually gets wrapped up neatly (like most other Filipino films) without leaving you scratching your head. Technically, Blue Moon is fine. Von de Guzman's score is genuinely touching. The cinematography is nice, which is a complement enough for visual aestetics-disabled Lamangan. The special effects is mostly unneeded and offputting but does not disgust enough to put down the entire film. The acting is fine (especially for Eddie Garcia, Christopher de Leon, Boots Anson-Roa and Dennis Trillo) and I'm quite surprised as to how Jennelyn Mercado is shaping up as the best thing that came out of the talent search programs that's been invading television programming. Blue Moon has a few bumps that disrupt the otherwise steady flow of the film and the ending could've been a lot more ambiguous (instead of wrapping up everything with a gratuitous morale). Complaints and nitpickings aside, Blue Moon is a film Lamangan can truly be proud of, especially after a string of forgettable flicks. ***1/2/*****

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Dec 30, 2005 at 01:15 AM »
Totoo bang nangunguna ang Enteng Kabisote 2 sa takilya ngayon?

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 30, 2005 at 01:35 AM »
I actually want to watch Blue Moon.
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #52 on: Dec 30, 2005 at 10:14 AM »
Mulawin the Movie is a mixed between the TV series and Encantadia? What is that all about? ;D

Half baked witless monstrosities?
Value my brain cells?

Advice taken. Thanks for the warning. :)

I think it is supposed to be a "cross-over" between the Mulawin and Encantadia universes.  That was intended by the producers for continuity's sake.

Dunno...will be holding out for Narnia, though.  See no point throwing away P80 on such mindless drivel...

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 08:50 AM »
Totoo bang nangunguna ang Enteng Kabisote 2 sa takilya ngayon?

alin movie nga ba ang top-grosser ngayon MMFF2005?

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 06:04 PM »
Will try to catch Shake Rattle Roll if only to see Rico's episode.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 06:18 PM »
This is my sacrifice for the Filipino film industry - to spend my Christmas Day watching three entries to the Metro Manila Film Festival.

I started my movie marathon with Jose Javier Reyes' latest psycho-thriller Kutob. Reyes seems to be borrowing a lot from Alfred Hitchcock nowadays. I remember his first foray to the psycho-thriller genre Malikmata had several Hitchcock elements which he borrowed and in turn churned out a standard film that I initially thought was okay but upon second watching turned out to be utter crap. Now, here comes Kutob which borrows a lot from Psycho and well, I Know What You Did Last Summer - not a healthy combination I think. The acting is pretty bad. Marvin Agustin plays his psychotic character by the book complete with the annoying accentuations and whatever cliche that comes from playing psychotic minds. Reyes seems to be banking on plot twists nowadays forgeting that nowadays, plot twists are already cliche. Moreover, his plot twist is nothing more but a rip-off from Psycho, thus the plot twist doesn't twist at all but merely establishes the fact that Reyes should start rethinking his stay in the Filipino film industry, lest he be overrun by younger and better directors. Come on, Joey, you can write better than that. *1/2/*****

Next is Mulawin: The Movie which was rated A by the cinema review board. I'm not sure what Rated-A means but this reviewer would think that A means Asswipe after seeing this piece of sticky crap. Mulawin the television series probably worked because of the commercials because being entreated to bad CGI, bad sets, bad acting, and bad scripting for two hours straight is mindnumbing torture. Mulawin: The Movie is one bloated television episode. The music is a lot louder and hence, more jarring. The special effects is a lot more special and hence, eyestraining. The storyline is a lot more complex hence, convulated. The acting is the same - television-trained acting which simply does not work in the big screen. This film is just too bad and unless you are a fan of the show or you're one of those groupies who think everything that GMA makes is pure gold, then go for it. Don't say I didn't warn you. */*****

Last of the bunch is Erik Matti's Tales from the Enchanted Kingdom: Exodus. The film starts with a bunch of kids being told a story by the purple wizard from the theme park in Sta. Rosa, Laguna. Now that spells much trouble for the film because the film's insistence to being a film for children builds a disability for the filmmakers. Dwight Gaston made a fantastic script for Pa-Siyam but here he falters as his script lacks depth and sincere emotions. It seems that Gaston forgot that characterization is a prime element to any story. Halfway through the film, I didn't feel anything for any of the characters, not even the hero Exodus (surprisingly played with dignity by Senator Bong Revilla Jr. despite the obvious physical unsuitability of the role). Matti's direction is suitable. The cinematography is okay. The music is beautiful and unobtrusive. The special effects is a lot better than most Filipino films but is still far from the best. What strikes me as a saving grace for the film is the design and the concept which makes me annoyed how such concept was put to waste by the misconception that children need to be fed mindless entertainment. This film could've had a more interesting story if Matti, Gaston and the stupid producers (who probably forced Matti and his crew to be on the safe side) were more daring (well, not exactly daring since telling good stories is probably human nature). Miyazaki knew that children love great, emotional stories. Why are our filmmakers underestimating our children. Give them an Exodus with a lot more oomph than computer bitmaps. Althougn this is the best film I've seen in the festival so far, this is also the one that got me most annoyed because this film had actual potential - a simple story that could've gone far if the filmmakers just took a lot more risks. **1/2/*****

Thanks for the warning, oggs. I wasn't able to watch many movies during the holidays - - -only Mulawin - - -but these just saves me the bother. Had my eye on  Exodus because I like Erik's work some ot the time but  now I'll just catch Shake Rattle Roll.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 06:35 PM »
Thanks for the warning, oggs. I wasn't able to watch many movies during the holidays - - -only Mulawin - - -but these just saves me the bother. Had my eye on  Exodus because I like Erik's work some ot the time but  now I'll just catch Shake Rattle Roll.

Exodus is infinitely better than Mulawin, you should've watched that instead of the tale of the flying chickens. Exodus suffers mainly because there is a blatant lack of depth in the plot, which is as simple as it gets. I'm guessing the producers had a lot to do with Exodus' failure, as the original script contained a lot more characterization. Exodus is clearly Matti, its visually intriguing but quite cinematically flat. Mulawin, on the other hand, is plain horrendous and its defenders (or I would like to believe) have their mouths sucking desperately on the teats of Richard Gutierrez's vocal mom, hence its A rating.

Do watch Shake, Rattle, and Roll 2k5, I have yet to read an intelligent review of that underrated film. I'd love to see what you think of Somes' portion, and of course Ilarde's too. Throw in Blue Moon too, if you have time. I think it's Lamangan's best in ages, primarily because of its script - Lamangan's direction is adequate at most.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2006 at 06:36 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 06:47 PM »
Exodus is infinitely better than Mulawin, you should've watched that instead of the tale of the flying chickens. Exodus suffers mainly because there is a blatant lack of depth in the plot, which is as simple as it gets. I'm guessing the producers had a lot to do with Exodus' failure, as the original script contained a lot more characterization. Exodus is clearly Matti, its visually intriguing but quite cinematically flat. Mulawin, on the other hand, is plain horrendous and its defenders (or I would like to believe) have their mouths sucking desperately on the teats of Richard Gutierrez's vocal mom, hence its A rating.

Do watch Shake, Rattle, and Roll 2k5, I have yet to read an intelligent review of that underrated film. I'd love to see what you think of Somes' portion, and of course Ilarde's too. Throw in Blue Moon too, if you have time. I think it's Lamangan's best in ages, primarily because of its script - Lamangan's direction is adequate at most.

I actually got coerced into watching Mulawin. Let's just say Richard Guiterrez had something to do with it.  Someone wanted eyecandy that day.  ;) Least it had Angel Locsin for my eyecandy. Still, horrible.

I'll still try and catch Exodus if I have the time but will definitely try and watch Shake. That Guy Maddin refrence in your review has me piqued. And yeah, Blue Moon. Not a fan of lamangan but why not? Tomorrow, maybe. Or hell, tonight.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 06:56 PM »
I actually got coerced into watching Mulawin. Let's just say Richard Guiterrez had something to do with it.  Someone wanted eyecandy that day.  ;) Least it had Angel Locsin for my eyecandy. Still, horrible.

I'll still try and catch Exodus if I have the time but will definitely try and watch Shake. That Guy Maddin refrence in your review has me piqued. And yeah, Blue Moon. Not a fan of lamangan but why not? Tomorrow, maybe. Or hell, tonight.

Yeah, Angel Locsin is eyecandy, but Sunshine Dizon, in all her cellulite glory pops out of nowhere (like most other characters in this godforsaken film) and ruins everything.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
« Reply #59 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 08:14 PM »
Just watched Blue Moon with the family and everyone was crying at the end. I do appreciate the effort to make a good movie but Mark Herras as the young Eddie Garcia ::) is plain awful! They should have given the role to someone with talent.