Author Topic: MMFF 2005  (Read 17029 times)

Offline fiddlers_green

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I am the king of gladiators!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: MMFF 2005
« Reply #60 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 11:01 PM »
I just got home from the preview screening of Joel Lamangan's Blue Moon which surprisingly, didn't suck...

Blue Moon almost proves the theory that what the failing Philippine film industry needs is good screenplays because the film works primarily because of its generally palatable screenplay. There are some major quibbles I have with the script, mostly from a historical point of view (I have doubts regarding the fact that the lead character Manuel Pineda could be a pilot during World War II as I'm pretty sure there was no Philippine Airforce yet). The Palanca Award winning screenplay was written by United States based writer Alan Tijano who Lamangan said he had never met in person. Interestingly, the screenplay is pretty simple to follow and has a genuine romantic hard to guide its plot movements. Lamangan works the screenplay well - finally mustering enough skill to actually create a decades-spanning story without being overly issues-oriented. In finality, Lamangan achieved, without ruining, what the screenplay essentially is, a touching fantastical and highly optimistic love story. While Blue Moon does contain sideplots (mostly concerning Pineda's son and grandson and their respective relationships), they are adequately ironed out without having to stray from the ultimate goal of the film. Blue Moon actually gets wrapped up neatly (like most other Filipino films) without leaving you scratching your head. Technically, Blue Moon is fine. Von de Guzman's score is genuinely touching. The cinematography is nice, which is a complement enough for visual aestetics-disabled Lamangan. The special effects is mostly unneeded and offputting but does not disgust enough to put down the entire film. The acting is fine (especially for Eddie Garcia, Christopher de Leon, Boots Anson-Roa and Dennis Trillo) and I'm quite surprised as to how Jennelyn Mercado is shaping up as the best thing that came out of the talent search programs that's been invading television programming. Blue Moon has a few bumps that disrupt the otherwise steady flow of the film and the ending could've been a lot more ambiguous (instead of wrapping up everything with a gratuitous morale). Complaints and nitpickings aside, Blue Moon is a film Lamangan can truly be proud of, especially after a string of forgettable flicks. ***1/2/*****

Oggs, I think there were a few Filipino pilots during the World War II.  We had antiquated American planes at our disposal at that time.  However, Japanese planes took them out when they bombed Clark and the other airfields.  It was Villamor, of Villamor Airbase, who shot down some Japanese Zeros (using an older plane) which eventually made him a hero.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #61 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 09:04 AM »
For me i think we just have to concentrate making films that brings out the acting abilities of our talents and not to try venturing on the area of special effects.. maybe not this time muna. Nagmumukhang bobo tuloy tayo, such as when Bong Revilla claims that his Exodus may even be better that the Lord the Rings.. because his Exodus has more effects that the latter. Really cannot prevent keep myself to laugh  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 12:01 PM »
Actually, we have the means to make "Hollywood special effects" but producers are not willing to invest that much money.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 03:07 PM »
Yeah, Angel Locsin is eyecandy, but Sunshine Dizon, in all her cellulite glory pops out of nowhere (like most other characters in this godforsaken film) and ruins everything.

What you said man. Baby fat in school play armor - - - not a pretty sight.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #64 on: Jan 05, 2006 at 10:53 AM »
Would anyone know when the  MMFF will end? It's killing my sales at my shop because no one's watching movies anymore.  >:(

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #65 on: Jan 05, 2006 at 12:18 PM »
For me i think we just have to concentrate making films that brings out the acting abilities of our talents and not to try venturing on the area of special effects.. maybe not this time muna. Nagmumukhang bobo tuloy tayo, such as when Bong Revilla claims that his Exodus may even be better that the Lord the Rings.. because his Exodus has more effects that the latter. Really cannot prevent keep myself to laugh ;D

Point well taken.  Look at the film industries of India or even Vietnam. 

Offline dorian_gray

• DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jan 07, 2006 at 12:38 AM »
grabe nagpamigay ng tig-iisang milyon si Arroyo sa mga producers. Nahalata tuloy na buwakaw si Monteverde kasi dalawang beses na binigyan ng cheque. Kapal ng mukha ni Lily Monteverde talaga!

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #67 on: Jan 07, 2006 at 08:02 AM »
Para saan daw yung one million pesos?

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 07, 2006 at 01:46 PM »
Para saan daw yung one million pesos?

Incentive for the producers who came up with their respective entries. Sana napunta na lang sa COLA namin.  ;D Back to the topic......Saw three films in a row yesterday before my eyeballs popped up after I came home.

AKO LEGAL WIFE was funny, can't believe that Roy Iglesias can write a comedy film like that. The three leads are all amazing and Zsa Zsa Padilla's comic performance was riveting! Very well-deserved of winning last night. Catch it especially if you are a womanizer, and have laugh at yourself once in a while.

EXODUS was well-executed and visually stunning piece of work! Who says, we can't beat those Hollywood crap? If only they improve more of the story & plot, it could have been better, but still it delivered some of the best visuals ever to flourish in a fantasy film. Reminds me of ONCE UPON A TIME which was the costliest movie made back in 1987.

MULAWIN was technically well-made but I still like the visuals of EXODUS. Its like I was just watching the special tv series blown up on the big screen and the wooden performances of the leads added to the disastrous atmosphere of the movie. I've been warned but I didn't take it seriously. And this was RATED A by the CEB?  :o

I'll catch up with BLUE MOON this week. If only for all the accolades it received, so far.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2006 at 05:14 PM by keating »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Jan 08, 2006 at 04:45 PM »
For once, I agree with Mother Lily and Joel Lamangan,

They said that it's unfair that Joey Reyes got Best Director for a film that merely won Third Best Picture... I thought they should have argued on how can a director win for an unbelievably bad film, now that would hit the spot perfectly. I thought Richard Somes should be Best Director.

ZsaZsa Padilla as Best Actress... quite predictable, she has the showiest role. I would've personally chosen Jennelyn Mercado, but I have no qualms with the judges' decision. Marvin Agustin as Best Actor... well, to give him credit, he's probably one of the four actors who actually acted (Eddie Garcia, Christopher de Leon, and Dennis Trillo). The rest (Richard Gutierrez, Sen. Revilla, Vic Sotto) just incidentally had their faces and bodies on screen. My only problem is that Agustin acted... quite terribly. I would've chosen Eddie Garcia, or even Dennis Trillo for Blue Moon.

Best Supporting Actor for Jose Manalo... now that's the biggest joke of the night. If they wanted a surprise winner, why not add Ruby Rodriguez as best supporting actress (who rightfully went to Cherry Pie Picache's perfect comedic turn), Uro dela Cruz as best director, and Terrorist Hunter as best festival film.

The technical awards were given out justly. Some minor qualms tho, Kutob is horribly edited and that won? Jaime Fabrigas is a better actor than a scorer, his score for Kutob is second-rate psycho-thriller scoring... biases aside, Von de Guzman's work for Exodus and Blue Moon are a million times more effective.

I thought Blue Moon deserved being the best picture... I'm a bit uncomfortable with the second and third placers but do they really matter?

Oh well, let the sourgraping begin...
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2006 at 07:33 AM by oggsmoggs »

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jan 08, 2006 at 05:03 PM »
Hahaha!!! I am now watching S-Files and Annabelle Rama is bitchin' about Mother Lily and how come Mulawin didn't win. WHAT A SORE LOSER!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jan 08, 2006 at 05:40 PM »

I thought Blue Moon deserved being the best picture...

In the name of all things good and holy: Why?!

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Jan 08, 2006 at 06:32 PM »
In the name of all things good and holy: Why?!

Simply because it's the best of the lot... I can say with a straight face that Blue Moon is okay, compared to the rest. Now, if Lihim ng San Joaquin were separated from its uglier stepsiblings, then that would be the best film.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jan 08, 2006 at 08:36 PM »
The third epsiode of Shake  - - -Lihim ng San Joaquin was beautiful. And you have to admire Rico's attempt at parallel edit suspense and visual mnemonics in his segment - - Aquarium. Love that first crane shot showing Ara under glass - - clever, hehe - - and he should've milked that kerida subplot and not given the exposition over to that creepy old lady telling the kid the entire backstory. In fact, the backstory's unnecessary but Filipinos need backstory so local films and Hollywood spoonfeeds it to them, I guess. Aquarium is undone only by one of the things that undo Uro's episode - - Poso - - -a loud annoying comedienne.

Agree with whoever said we should stop aping Hollywood special effects. And Hollywood movies, for that matter.

Hollywood makes 90% of the worst movies in the world. I'll repeat that. Hollywood makes 90% of the worst movies in the world. Why bother going after that level of quality?
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2006 at 08:39 PM by X44 »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jan 08, 2006 at 08:48 PM »
Glad you liked Shake, Rattle, and Roll 2k5. Now, I am no longer alone...

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Jan 09, 2006 at 12:11 AM »
Remember a few years back when Rudy Fernandez's Hula Mo Huli Ko won Best Sound? Even the sound technician didn't agree with their winning!
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jan 09, 2006 at 12:17 AM »
I was surprised to learn that there was an entry called "Terrorist Hunter"! Wtf?! Never saw any poster of it at all!
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline dorian_gray

• DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jan 09, 2006 at 12:09 PM »
Sabi Mother Lily, may Mafia daw sa MMFF. Di ba parte siya nun? Buwakaw talaga yang babaeng iyan!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jan 09, 2006 at 12:22 PM »
More sourgraping......MELANIE MARQUEZ (The Untold Story of Melanie Marquez) winning over JACKLYN JOSE (Itanong Mo sa Buwan).  ::)

There are so many loopholes when they choose the winners, so don't presume that you'll win if you are one of the nominees.

But then........MMFF back in 1982 made the right decision for Ishmael Bernal's HIMALA.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2006 at 12:28 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jan 09, 2006 at 12:43 PM »
The third epsiode of Shake  - - -Lihim ng San Joaquin was beautiful. And you have to admire Rico's attempt at parallel edit suspense and visual mnemonics in his segment - - Aquarium. Love that first crane shot showing Ara under glass - - clever, hehe - - and he should've milked that kerida subplot and not given the exposition over to that creepy old lady telling the kid the entire backstory. In fact, the backstory's unnecessary but Filipinos need backstory so local films and Hollywood spoonfeeds it to them, I guess. Aquarium is undone only by one of the things that undo Uro's episode - - Poso - - -a loud annoying comedienne.

Agree with whoever said we should stop aping Hollywood special effects. And Hollywood movies, for that matter.

Hollywood makes 90% of the worst movies in the world. I'll repeat that. Hollywood makes 90% of the worst movies in the world. Why bother going after that level of quality?

We can't match the grandeur and price of those Hollywood special effects, but we do have the creativity to challenge them. X, your post regarding Hollywood films is one of the best I've ever read in this thread. May your tribe increase!

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 09, 2006 at 01:08 PM »
Hahaha!!! I am now watching S-Files and Annabelle Rama is b**chin' about Mother Lily and how come Mulawin didn't win. WHAT A SORE LOSER!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA...

as if they weren't a part of the film fest scam wayback...
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2006 at 01:10 PM by garee »

Offline dorian_gray

• DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 01:13 AM »
Quotes from the scam way way back:

"Take it! Take it!"

"Why can't you leave me alone in my craping party?!!!!"

« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2006 at 06:04 AM by Sharkey »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 06:20 AM »
as if they weren't a part of the film fest scam wayback...

That was the Manila Film Festival... Anyway, here's an interesting read regarding the Metro Manila Film Festival and its tradition of sourgraping.

The MMFF
FROM THIS CORNER
By Armida Siguion-Reyna
The Daily Tribune, 01/10/2006

The most recent Metro-Manila Film Festival post-awards night
brouhaha brings to mind other controversies of many an MMFF in the
past. Thanks to my computer archives, I remember some.

"This year's MMFF started on a sour note. Rules were violated with
impunity, no thanks to the brainless imperative that empowered the
MMFF Executive Committee to change existing guidelines and
regulations as it saw fit, with the selection of festival films
already in process. It was bad in the `70s, when deadlines were as
early as then moved to accommodate the superstars. Worse now, with
deadlines not only extended but the number of entries more elastic
than Lastikman, at first "7 `official' and 2 `unofficial' entries,"
then "9 `official' entries," at one point rumored "4 `official'
entries," and finally back to "7 + 2." Whew!" (Jan. 7, 2003, From
This Corner, on the 2002 MMFF)

The 2002 MMFF was the year of the first Mano Po. Dekada '70
screenwriter Lualhati Bautista walked out of the awards night
because she was not nominated. Director Chito Roño was also said to
have minded losing the Best Director award to Joel Lamangan, but I
did not see him as grievous as he was when his work in Itanong Mo sa
Buwan lost to Patrolman in the 1988 MMFF, where Melanie Marquez got
the Best Actress trophy for The Melanie Marquez Story, beating,
among others, Amy Austria in Bubbles (The Celestina Sanchez Story)
Jacklyn Jose, Chito's star in Itanong….

On Jan. 20, 2002, I noted, also from this corner: "I've been a MMFF
juror myself. There was a year the entries were generally below par,
we decided not to give a Best Picture and a Best Director award, to
the chagrin of the organizers. They never asked me back.

"I've likewise been a festival participant, either as actress or
producer. Reynafilms' Kung Mawawala Ka Pa won Best Picture in 1994
over May Minamahal, a much more touted-to-win Joey Reyes film
produced by Star Cinema. Joey did not gripe over his Second-Best
Picture trophy. Neither did he make reference to buying a trophy in
Recto, nor cast aspersion on the integrity of the jurors."

The 2001 MMFF had Cesar Montano dropping a bomb in his acceptance
speech for Best Actor, saying that he didn't mind not receiving Best
Picture recognition for Bagong Buwan, because trophies for such
could be bought in Recto, anyway. Soon as he said this, naghalo na
ang balat sa tinalupan. Lily Monteverde was bruited about to have
thrown her cellphone on the floor as an angry response to the quip,
but wait—d'on nga ba sa MMFF na iyon nagbato si Mother ng cellphone?

I'm getting confused.

Then again, I'm not surprised that I am confused. MMFF history has
always been acrimonious; it's hard to recall exactly who fought whom
over what award in what year with rabid Vilmanians to this day still
shouting foul over Nora Aunor's MMFF Best Actress win for Atsay,
over Vilma's Rubia Servios.

I've had my fair share — how odd to use the word fair, in connection
with the MMFF! — of heartaches over this yearly movie industry
affair.

In 1977, I fielded Mga Bilanggong Birhen under the banner of PERA
Films, during which I fought—and how—with then San Juan Mayor Joseph
Estrada. In 1994, I entered Reynafilms' Kung Mawawala Ka Pa, and
there fought with no one except my son Carlitos, who resigned in the
pre-production stage due to "creative differences," which resulted
in Jose Mari Avellana taking over. Of course I had my own set of
squabbles with Jose Mari, but those were nothing compared to what
took place between Mario O' Hara and me, in Mga Bilanggong Birhen.

I had just made up with Lino Brocka (galit-bati kami ni Lino, but
God, how I miss the man!), when he mentioned to me a period story
that Mario was working on. I invited Mario for lunch to discuss the
material and two weeks later he presented me the first draft of a
beautiful love story set at the turn of two centuries ago, to star
Alma Moreno, Rez Cortez, Mario Montenegro, Leroy Salvador, Barbara
Luna and Trixia Gomez. Lino loved the story and encouraged us to go
ahead with it.

To cut the story short, Mario and I had a (major) falling-out, and
Romy Suzara took over as director. Lino sided with Mario, and during
Bilanggo's post-production at LVN where Lino was also working on his
MMFF entry. INAY, he would give me dagger looks na parang talagang
gusto niya akong sakmalin, and even demanded that his scenes be
removed from the movie.

Acceding to his request, I eliminated his scenes except the one
where Alma Moreno was abducted, because that was a full shot which
included the lead star, in a major sequence. Galit na galit siya.
When I was nominated Best Actress in the MMFF awards night, Lino, by
his admission when we had again made up, prayed for me not to win.

Only three of us were nominated for Best Actress: Liza Lorena for
Ishmael Bernal's Walang Katapusang Tag-Araw, Vilma Santos for Celso
Ad Castillo's Burlesk Queen and me. Vilma won, and I didn't feel
bad.

That MMFF is also remembered for the "bagama't-bagama't" citations "…
bagama't makabagbag damdamin ang pag-ganap ni (name of one being
cited) sa walang kabuluhang pelikula…"

Burlesk Queen won practically all the awards except for production
design and cinematography, which were won by Laida Perez and Romy
Vitug, respectively, for Bilanggung Birhen.

At the awards night, with his Mangarap Ka't Magising bombarded with
a series of "bagamat" citations Mike de Leon walked out. Lino
followed him and bumped into Rolando Tinio, member of the Board of
Jurors and perceived to have written the citations. Lino screamed at
Rolando: "Bakla!" Rolando shot back: "Bakla ka rin!"

Lino rolled up his barong sleeves, and challenged Rolando: "Ano,
sabunutan tayo, bakla sa bakla!"

MMFF Chairman Doroy Valencia, out in the hallway, raised his voice
at the fighting duo: "Pareho kayong bakla!" And right there and
then, nagmistulang palengke ang reception room of the Coral Ballroom
of the Manila Hilton Hotel.

No one knew that both Rolando and Lino were going to be National
Artists one day. And when they were awarded, no one said they didn't
deserve the honor. Rolando, for his work in theater as writer,
producer and actor, and Lino, for his work in films and anti-
censorship position that pushed him to include the phrase "freedom
of _expression" in the 1987 Constitution's Bill of Rights.

By the way, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's handpicked supposed wise men —
pending approval in a national plebiscite or referendum na lulutuin
rin nila — have rewritten the particular proviso: "No law shall be
passed abridging the responsible exercise of the freedom of speech,
of _expression, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably
to assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances."

This is beyond the MMFF, pero ito ang talagang dapat labanan.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #83 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 07:49 AM »
Good article. Hopefully, someone can write a more exhaustive history of the various awards in this country without glossing over the controversies, the fights and the scandals.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 01:04 PM »
1977 was probably the most controversial and colorful year in the history of MMFF.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jan 11, 2006 at 08:30 AM »
1977 was probably the most controversial and colorful year in the history of MMFF.

1978 was also controversial because of the Nora-Vilma competition for Best Actress...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jan 11, 2006 at 08:41 AM »
Did they really return all the trophies for Celso Ad Castillo's BURLESK QUEEN, Jo? And yeah, that was a very stiff competition also for the two movie icons on the following year.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006 at 08:42 AM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jan 11, 2006 at 10:30 AM »
i don't think they returned the trophies... as far as i know all the wiiners still have them. as a matter of fact i saw Rosemarie Gil's Best Supporting Actress Award for Burlesk Queen years ago...