Author Topic: DVDs na sa Sobrang Linaw, Halata ang Daya  (Read 7585 times)

Offline weddingsingr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
DVDs na sa Sobrang Linaw, Halata ang Daya
« on: Nov 14, 2001 at 11:44 PM »
One of the promises of DVDs is a better video quality. There are a lot of things we did not easily recognize before in other formats which makes us appreciate the DVD copy more.

But have you noticed that with the clarity, some of the effects are more obvious?

Here are some titles I noticed:

MATRIX - In the scene in the subway, the clarity of the characters clothing makes it more obvious that wires were used.  Parang may mga konting wires pa ata na hindi nila na-erase.

THE ROCK - In the scene were the cable car explodes, the fire become more obvious as a CGI thing.

FORREST GUMP - In the scene were Jenny is playing the guitar naked in a bar, the impression I got was she was really naked during the take.  But in the DVD, you'll notice that she is wearing some sort of a body stocking na may T-back design pa.

Also, in the scene were Forrest is being chased by the pickup truck and suddenly makes a right turn into the football field, you can notice that he was superimposed - his shot was taken differently kasi medyo mas maliwanag ang kuha niya.

But the good thing about this is that you can show it is an obvious indication of how clear DVDs are.  Thus, you can show it to your friends and they are actually amazed by this findings.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline GENDEMMIT

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: DVDs na sa Sobrang Linaw, Halata ang Daya
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 12:11 AM »
  Agree ako 100% with you, weddingsinger.  The fact of the matter is, FX houses and studios take the time to "dirty up" their final products during final passes/composites para nga mas natural ang dating.  They add film grain, noise, etc., so the CG and other effects don't stand out like a sore thumb.  This is especially true, and required, when the work is in film resolution, since screens in moviehouses are so large that mahahalata talaga ang daya.
   I remember we had a project in Roadrunner called "Doomsdayer" (a forgettable B-movie for a US outfit that eventually, I think, went straight to video), where we were required to make shots of a space satellite, and various submarine shots with underwater explosions.  I remember we had a hell of a time making it because the clients thought our CG work was too clean, and we spent two weeks overtime just to dirty up the sequences to be convincing.
    But remember, FX houses' output is in digital format, then processed to film, or "put in the can" so to speak, for showing in moviehouses.  When the work is released in digital format, as in VCD or DVD, studios go back to the source and re-process it for the appropriate format.  Eventually, the CG and FX work is taken straight from the digital source, hence they have a tendency to come out too clean.

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 03:59 PM »
Well, I haven't seen "The One". But watching the trailer alone, the effects are already kinda obvious. I have to prove myself wrong when I watch the whole movie whether it's on a theater or DVD.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 04:11 PM »
thunderbirds....

those puppet strings are really annoying!!! UHGGGGG!!!....
buti panoon...when tv's where only 13" and black and white pa-yung kulay... hindi mo masyadong nakikita yung strings...

.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 04:17 PM »
Strings ay isa sa mga bagay na unfortunately nae-expose dahil sa DVD. Effects that seemed amazing when I was a kid looks ridiculous now because I can see the darn strings!! I saw this in Logan's Run and a couple of other movies. I can remember the instances but I don't remember the movies.

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 05:10 PM »
Some more movies that experienced the same thing after DVD transfer.

Space Jam - and I thought I had a change to really interact with the Warner Gang when I saw it in the movie house. hehehe

Titanic - some of the green screen stuff really becomes obvious.

But I guess someone has have to have an affinity for this. I have to admit, I go to the movies for the special effects, no matter how bad the movie is. ;D

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 05:50 PM »

Titanic - some of the green screen stuff really becomes obvious.

I agree with this one, specially during the part where Jack is trying to talk Rose down from jumping off the ship. The lighting was a little too unnatural for a night scene and the sea behind them didn't look convincing. Of course, I noticed all this on DVD, not when I saw it in the theaters or on VHS.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 05:56 PM »

I agree with this one, specially during the part where Jack is trying to talk Rose down from jumping off the ship. The lighting was a little too unnatural for a night scene and the sea behind them didn't look convincing. Of course, I noticed all this on DVD, not when I saw it in the theaters or on VHS.

Most of the times we notice these flaws from repeated viewing. First time around, we were all engrossed in the story, the acting, and how corny the dialogs were. But when you watch the movie over and over, your eyes wander somewhere, like in your case, the ocean. the lighting. You see, unlike you, I didn't have the chance to see such flaws, and felt lucky not to have seen them,  for I promised myself not to see Titanic ever again ! ;D

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 06:01 PM »
He.he. I assure you, kakabanas. I saw Titanic at least 10 times before I saw the DVD. And I never noticed any flaws visually until I saw the DVD. Grabe, bane or boon nga ba and DVD sa movies?

But you are right, certain flaws do appear when one watches a movie many times. I have yet to see any flaws on ED Wood though, which I've seen like 15 times.

;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 06:14 PM »

He.he. I assure you, kakabanas. I saw Titanic at least 10 times before I saw the DVD. And I never noticed any flaws visually until I saw the DVD. Grabe, bane or boon nga ba and DVD sa movies?

But you are right, certain flaws do appear when one watches a movie many times. I have yet to see any flaws on ED Wood though, which I've seen like 15 times.

;D

So you're one of those who made Cameron king of the world.  >:(

Anyways, you never noticed them on the theaters because they use projection screens. They are not as clear I guess since the pixels are not as compressed as when you watch it on TV where the details really show. And boy, after 10 times, you already know when Jack is gonna say "I see you" and you look at Rose and noticed she's got nose hair hanging out !  :P

Ed Wood ? That's in black and white, and I don't think they used strings or any special effects there aside from make-up magic.

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 06:50 PM »

So you're one of those who made Cameron king of the world.  

Yes I am! Yes, I got no shame. I've got the books, the VHS with a piece of the physical film, the VCD, the magazines, newspaper clippings, documentaries, other Titanic movies on DVD (A Night To Remember) and gobs of Kate Winslet DVDs. Aside from Titanic, I only got one other Leo movie, which is Total Eclipse. But that's only because Romane Bohringer is so drop dead gorgeous when she's naked. :)

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 10:22 PM »

Most of the times we notice these flaws from repeated viewing. First time around, we were all engrossed in the story, the acting, and how corny the dialogs were. But when you watch the movie over and over, your eyes wander somewhere, like in your case, the ocean. the lighting. You see, unlike you, I didn't have the chance to see such flaws, and felt lucky not to have seen them,  for I promised myself not to see Titanic ever again ! ;D

That's true, we notice such defects with repeated viewing.  But sometimes may advantage din siya.  There are some minor details that should be noticed but only noticeable with repeated viewing.

One example is the with Saving Private Ryan.  I only noticed that the canteen of one of the soldiers was hit by a bullet and then from clear water dripping off from the canteen, naging pink and then red indicating the soldier was shot.

Some other small details in movies, especially those depicting a specific year or era is usually not noticed with the first viewing as the focus is more on the flow of the story.

As for Titanic... is that your final answer?  Kahit na may ilabas na UE, Superbit, CC, eh hindi mo pa papanoorin ulit?

Offline PARC

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/parc/
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 11:29 PM »

As for Titanic... is that your final answer?  Kahit na may ilabas na UE, Superbit, CC, eh hindi mo pa papanoorin ulit?

Weddingsingr,

No offense to Titanic fans but...

Kahit may libre pang barko, hinding-hindi ako manonood ulit ng Titanic ni James Cameron.  I watched it once and I didn't like it one bit (except for the love scene!). I liked the tv-movie version better, the one with Catherine Zeta Jones.

PARC

Offline RickS

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 11:51 PM »
Superman series, and Air Force One (the part where Harrison Ford was hanging on to the rope on the rescue plane. He's semi-transparent and you can see the wing behind him.)

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 02:53 AM »

Weddingsingr,

No offense to Titanic fans but...

Kahit may libre pang barko, hinding-hindi ako manonood ulit ng Titanic ni James Cameron.  I watched it once and I didn't like it one bit (except for the love scene!). I liked the tv-movie version better, the one with Catherine Zeta Jones.

PARC

Kanya-kanya naman trip iyan eh. Ako nga eh may mga DVD titles na hindi ko malaman kung bakit trip ng iba at ginagawa pang CC o SE.  

Yan ang ganda dito sa Pinoy DVD, very versatile ang mga trip natin na titles with it being in DVD format ang common denominator kaya nagkakasundo pa rin tayong lahat.

Basta ako wait muna for the SE, CC, or UE before I buy, hoping na DTS, Anamorphic, Director's Cut at ala Episode 1 sa dami ng bonus features.  Kung pwede pa eh parang Pearl Harbor pa ang packaging.

As for halata ang daya sa Titanic eh medyo halatang CGI duon sa mga parts where they zoom out to show the external parts of the Titanic.

Offline wcvmorasa

• DVD Addict
  • You want me to do that? Make me.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 03:18 AM »
Ah titanic, either you love it or you hate it..  ;D

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 08:25 AM »
Not sure whether this is on-topic, but watching the DVD of Saving Private Ryan, you can see so many continuity and editing errors in the opening battle that you might even say the director was an amateur. Almost like heresy to say that, I know, but that's what you'll see.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2001 at 01:42 PM »
THE HORSE WHISPERER...
Robert Redfords aging face...
when the camera gets in a close up shot of his face...
you can see all the wrinkles and cracks on his face, neck
& eye bags...
not a pretty site to see... :-/

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2001 at 07:38 AM »
T2-  The scene where the old Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) was riding his big bike jumping from an elevated area chasing the truck.  As his bike goes down pause the scene and use the zoom function to close up Arnold's face.  Man, you can see that it was the double with shades!  The wonders of DVD! ;D

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2001 at 11:36 AM »
just finished watching pearl harbor last night.
but did anybody notice the 3 anchor lines on the jap. carrier was down when the bombers planes where taking off.
i think they forgot to digitally erase those anchor lines since that jap. carrier was suppose to be cruising in the pacific. :D

bently

Offline Knightro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2001 at 07:20 PM »
"Army of Darkness".  The first DVD na gusto kong itapon after renting.  Pwede mong isuper-imposed si Bitoy, Itoy at saka si BEBANG, sasabihin ng mga anak mo original pa rin.  Mukha talagang hindi american film at mas gusto ko pang panoorin ang original "Anak ng Bulkan" starring Ace Vergel as the kid kahit B&W.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2001 at 08:06 PM »

"Army of Darkness".  The first DVD na gusto kong itapon after renting.  Pwede mong isuper-imposed si Bitoy, Itoy at saka si BEBANG, sasabihin ng mga anak mo original pa rin.  Mukha talagang hindi american film at mas gusto ko pang panoorin ang original "Anak ng Bulkan" starring Ace Vergel as the kid kahit B&W.

ROTFLMAO! ;D ;D
I enjoyed AOD tho. :) Evil Dead meets The Three Stooges.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2002 at 11:24 AM »
fast and the furious...

great dvd, but i noticed that a hose was being dragged at the bottom of Paul Walker's (the detective) green eclipse car when he was just coming in to park his car in the big drag scene.

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2002 at 08:31 AM »
We just helped a friend break in his new HDTV Toshiba. He put on the Pearl Harbor DVD. His set was so clear that you could see all the pores, freckles, pockmarks, wrinkles, bad makeup, etc. on Kate Beckinsale's face during the close-ups. There goes my one remaining reason to watch this movie.

Offline ßartmaniac

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Don't have a cow, man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2002 at 09:40 AM »
102 Dalmatians

In one close up scene with the spotless Dalmatian, I could see a bit of greenish-white spot in the pup's neck area where a black spot used to be.

I probably wouldn't have noticed it if this DVD title hasn't made such big a deal how they 'magically' made the spots of the lead pup disappear. :(

Nevertheless, I like this movie.  The "rottweiler" (which found out he was actually a "retriver" towards the end) delivered the punch and stole the show! :D  I think he can carry his own movie!

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2002 at 12:14 PM »
Basic Instinct-During the part when Sharon Stone was crossing and uncrossing her legs, did you notice that the cigarette disappears?  Well, who would notice it when everybody was focused on the beaver.  ;D

Big Daddy- When Adam Sandler and the kid was passing by a bum (Steve Buscemi) going to Mcdonald's, Adam told the bum that he's gonna get him an egg mcmuffin and the bum wanted a sausage mcmuffin and when they came out the bum asked where is his egg mcmuffin. Duhh...

Offline Blankman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2002 at 07:34 PM »
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Although it looked smeared, the black ink on Angelina Jolie's Billy Bob Thornton tatoo is visible under the make-up or whatever that's covering her left arm.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
mad max w/ *spoilers*spoilers*spoilers*
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2002 at 10:09 PM »
just finished watching mad max and saw the last scene
where he got shot and got ran over by toecutter and the guy in the silver helmet. there was 2 flaws in this scene.
the 1st one was when the guy in the silver helmet was charging on his bike, and when mad max shot him...you can see the steel cable pulling the biker out of the bike.
the 2nd one was when mad max was chasing toecutter...you can see that there was a metal plate in front of the sixteen wheeler truck and was painted to look like the front of the truck.

i did not really notice this until the director himself pointed out the goofs in the film. and i applaud his honesty...come to think of it with the technology we have...he could have digitally erased this mistakes...but still opted to preserve the film in its original presentation....i really enjoyed watching this low budget classic on dvd

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 15, 2002 at 03:29 PM »
i just rewatched bravehart last night...and i was a bit dissapointed..kasi the dust prints was very annoying...
i did not recall this many anomalies before pero with the high definition tv set mas naging obvious yung mga print defects... :-[

another thing i also noticed was when bravehart jumped out the window w/ his horse and fell down to the lake, halatang
fake yung kabayo...ni hindi lumubog noong tumama sa tubig:)

bently

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2002 at 01:18 PM »
chitty chitty bang bang!

when Dick Van Dyke was doing his toy dance for the kings b'day you can really see the string on his back. :)

bently