Author Topic: Spoiling the Fun?  (Read 3112 times)

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spoiling the Fun?
« on: Oct 09, 2001 at 06:19 AM »
The David Blaine thread over at Small Talk made me think of how it relates to DVD. Movies are essentially performances by many magicians the end product of which is a huge, expensive and hopefully enjoyable magic trick. I was in awe of David Blaine when I first saw him do his tricks but when I found out later how he did them, he was sort of demystified for me.

Same is true for DVDS. For a long time movies mystified me. I was flabbergasted how they were able to convincingly make Gary Sinise an amputee in Forrest Gump, how they were able to get Clinton to act in Contact, or how they were able to destroy the White House in Independence Day. Now, with DVD, you get to learn exactly how they did their tricks. And all of a sudden, it's difficult to see the movie in the same way again. What do you think guys....is it alright for the fun to be spoiled for you, or finding out things like this is part of the fun?
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2002 at 03:00 AM by benny »

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
Re: Spoiling the Fun?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2001 at 07:17 AM »
I think it really depends on the person. I, for example, can't stand anything more revealing than a teaser trailer because the more stuff I know about the movie before even watching it, the more I know what to expect (and marketers are never gutsy enough to make trailers that sort of deceive us in order to entertain us, a la David Blaine.)

I think that's the same for behind-the-scenes looks at movie magic. Personally, I love it. It's like watching Flight of Dragons where everything from flying to fire-breathing can be explained through science. I think there's a sort of magic to that also... besides, they're still dragons :). Personally, the truth does not detract from the enjoyment from the movie. If you think about it, EVERYTHING in a movie is fake or contrived. The DVD features just add to the excitement, because we're shown how technology and human ingenuity can reach great heights in storytelling (provided the story is good :))

Granted, knowing a lot about the tricks of the trade can lead to desensitization. You see an effect done in Attack of the Clones that was done in The Mummy Returns, and you're all "I know how they did this. They could have done it better." True... a viewer can become quite jaded with that... But then you could look at it as a good thing because the technological clutter will force studios to exert themselves to make better movies.

Offline PARC

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/parc/
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2001 at 06:08 PM »
Hi!  This is CrUzSACK.  I'm using my husbands handle kasi hassle to log-in and out, our connection is super bagal.  Anyways,  what I want to say is I love spoilers!:D It helps me learn more about the technicalities of a movie.  Not that I can make use of it.  But I don't get to catch "The Making..." often on tv. And with DVDs, I do watch the special features AFTER watching the movie itself.  SOP lang dito sa house, for the rest who are watching the DVD with me.  But spoilers of any kind, for me, are ok. I'm one of those people who read the spoilers I get on my mail for movies' or tv shows' e-groups I've subscribe to.  I enjoy getting those. And I look forwad to getting them.  :D

Wala lang, just thought I'd share. :D
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2001 at 08:49 PM »
I agree with you there MultipleAngles, it really depends on the person.  I for instance like trailers and teasers in general.  It creates the hunger and interest for me to watch a particular movie.  Minsan nga eh I view the trailer in a DVD first for movies I have not watched yet kasi it stirrs my interest to watch the movie.  Minsan kasi if I don't have a general idea of what the movie is all about and the first part is dragging, I tend to discontinue watching it.

For trailers and teasers on the DVD naman, I find them amusing especially for those not shown locally or those I was not able to see.

Some trailers are spoilers though.  I was able to guess what would happen in What Lies Beneath because of the trailer.  Buti na lang that the US films are not like the Tito, Vic, and Joey movie trailers na naroon na ang lahat ng best parts.

The frustrating thing for me about trailers are the parts that were not shown in the movie itself.  Minsan nga kahit sa deleted scenes sa DVD eh hindi mo pa rin makikita ang part na iyon eh.

As for the making of the movie, I'm a bit selective on watching them.  There are some that I'm intrigued to watch on how it was made while for the others eh medyo I don't want to spoil the fun, or maybe hindi lang ako interested o sawa na ako sa mga making of those types of movies like those involving CGI which I have watched so many times already.

Actually, the nice thing about DVDs is you have the option to view it or not.  You don't have to watch all the special features to make your purchase "sulit".  Just like the commentaries.  I only turn on the commentaries on parts of interest or parts I could not understand hoping the director would provide some explanation.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2001 at 08:53 PM »

It's like watching Flight of Dragons

Shucks, I love that cartoon.  I think I only saw it once during my early college days pa ata.  Si John Ritter pa ang voice ng bida di ba.

I associate pa nga the original version of "Give Me Back My Heart" song to it somehow...  it dunno why...  maybe because of the angelic voices at the end of the song.

Offline PARC

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/parc/
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2001 at 09:03 PM »

Shucks, I love that cartoon.  I think I only saw it once during my early college days pa ata.  Si John Ritter pa ang voice ng bida di ba.

I associate pa nga the original version of "Give Me Back My Heart" song to it somehow...  it dunno why...  maybe because of the angelic voices at the end of the song.

Hey weddingsinger!

Grabeh! Favorite ko rin yun pero I remember watching it when I'm was still in grade school bro.......ang tanda mo na pala bro. ;D

PARC

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2001 at 09:33 PM »
Baka re-run yuong napanood ko kaya during college years na...  he he he... nagpapalusot pa.

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2001 at 05:12 AM »
around a few years back, I realized that I knew too much about movies, that I no longer started to enjoy movies as is, and so I've dedicated my life to making them  ;D, maybe that is the logical next step, it's not too difficult, just pull out a camera and start shooting and edit on your computer  ;D and when you're done, present it to the pinoydvd community so we can tear it apart, hehehe or who knows, we might love it so much, we'll buy it!
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:Spoiling the Fun?
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2002 at 02:56 AM »
bump ^

Offline himura

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • D'oh!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2002 at 01:22 PM »
In my opinion, these behind the scenes look makes me appreciate the film more.

Actually, what I tend to do after buying a particular DVD title is go through the special features first: behind the scenes special effects. It heightens my enjoyment of the film. Its really very interesting to see the behind the scenes and then compare it with the finished product. I always end up saying: "so that's how they did that... "  :)

Offline Spartacus

• Collector
  • I am Spartacus!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2002 at 01:47 PM »
I pretty much enjoy finding out how a movie or special effect is done. To me, like magic tricks it's in the execution.  If it's done well, no matter if I know how it's done, I'll enjoy it. I also have a switch inside my brain that I can flip on to not disect a movie while watching. This helps me enjoy the film.  ;D
"And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves."

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2002 at 02:00 PM »

I pretty much enjoy finding out how a movie or special effect is done. To me, like magic tricks it's in the execution.  If it's done well, no matter if I know how it's done, I'll enjoy it. I also have a switch inside my brain that I can flip on to not disect a movie while watching. This helps me enjoy the film.  ;D

I suggest viewing Shaolin Soccer. A lot of amzament.

Just a suggestion, enjoy!!!
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Mitsurugi

• Apprentice
  • DeathBlade
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2002 at 03:04 PM »
when i watch a movie...i just like to be entertained. :)

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2002 at 10:35 AM »
I don't have problems watching behind-the-scenes or getting spoilers before watching a movie. I'm a queasy, unasumming, easy-to-please/-scare movie-going/loving junkie.

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 09:29 AM »
i believe that the fun is not spoiled simply because you came to know how the effects were done.

it has not affected my appreciation of the movies ive watched, in fact, it has only made me a better movie and dvd lover because i have learned to understand better and more deeply grasp it's meanings and other insights.

pero mas maganda kung panoorin mo muna ang movie bago mo tingnan ang mga special features ng dvd pero sometimes, i still get tempted
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2006 at 09:31 AM by [email protected] »

Offline scully

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 10:35 AM »
I like being spoiled as well, like CrUzSACK. I'm usually curious about the SFX and behind-the-scenes stuff so I usually take time to watch all the special features in DVDs. Doesn't destroy the magic for me.
Amor Fati

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 06:08 PM »
Behind the scene revelations are very informative and I don't really see them as spoiling the fun of a good move experience at home.   They often add to it.  Like knowing who auditioned for this or that role and why so and so actors were chosen instead.  Or how this or that scene was executed where one scene was shot separately with the actors on blue screen. I know most of today's movies are 90% special effects and I take them as a great visual experience everytime I see them. Nope, there's no spoling the fun.  The fun was already lost after you've watched the movie the first time in the theaters.    What spoils the fun for me is familiairity with the movie's twists and turns.  I must have watched Jurrasic Park and The Mummy a number of times with my kid in the moviehouse and then with the DVDs and I still find the visuals a delight to behold.  But as far as the suspense, the screams, the surprises are concerned, they're gone.  Movies that made me cry or laugh in the theater lose much of their effect when watched at home.   Nothing beats watching a movie the first time.  After that, nothing those behind the scenes can do can spoil the fun.   ;D  But that's just me.