Author Topic: Old Amp Sickness  (Read 1225 times)

Offline ding45

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Old Amp Sickness
« on: Jan 11, 2006 at 04:23 PM »
Just like to know what is wrong with my old 50watt Pioneer amp (bought new in '93) which I tried to use after 5 years in storage........whenever I switch it off, a very loud popping noise comes out of the speakers. Opened it up, cleaned its innards using generous amounts of contact cleaner then tried again but still the deafening noise occurs after I switch it off.... It is not like this when I stored it in 2000. Ano po kaya problema?

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
Re: Old Amp Sickness
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006 at 05:11 PM »
can you post picture so we have idea as to what ytpe it is? does it have a time delay relay to protect the speakers?
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ding45

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2006 at 07:32 PM »
Its a Pioneer A402, 50 watts per channel, made in Japan pa. Gift from the wife kaya
gusto ko gamitin uli kahit paminsan minsan

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 10:04 AM »
you can try putting the main volume to zero before you turn of and see what happens.
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ding45

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2006 at 07:43 AM »
Sir Tony,

What I do now is to turn volume to zero AND put speaker selector to none (choices: none, A,B,A+B), this way I avoid the loud noise....but this is a band aid remedy and I am more interested in solving the root cause.
I know nothing about electricity but could this be caused by the capacitors discharging their electricity when the power is switched off?
     My new amp also gives a slight clicking sound when switched off (but you wont hear it unless you put your ears very near the unit).  Ano po bang mga piyesa ng amplifier and masasabi na may "shelf life" and should be replaced after a certain period?

Offline ding45

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 12:33 PM »
update;   now when I play something using this amp, all I hear is noise( white noise? static? dunno) with the music playing very softly in the background...

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 01:04 PM »
check you input cables as make sure they mate properly with the  sca inpout jacks, one of them may have come loose.

the clicking sound is from a relay. the electrolytic caps are prone to dry up over time, so have your technician check them and replace as needed.