Author Topic: post office charges for online orders  (Read 67435 times)

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re:post office charges for online orders
« Reply #60 on: Mar 14, 2004 at 09:02 AM »
re-post from Sauron Cookie.

Re: Computations for Charges:

Actually, there are laws and mandates that clearly specify the taxation of parcels from abroad.

The standard rule is  a basic 10% of the declared value, multiplied by the current exchange rate.    The amount will then be added to the fee of about P100 (books and CDs), P200 (personal items like cosmetics), P300 (DVDs) , P500 jewelry and valuables) for every US$10 above a US$40 declared value.  The classification of each item is dependent on the customs official/s' assessment.  Commerical rates are even higher than personal parcel rates.

For example, if you ordered books worth US$50, the applicable customs duties would be Php370.  This comes from US$5 (10% of $50) x 54 (current rate)= Php270 + P100($10 above $40).

The problem really lies on the customs officials' assessment.  Even if it's just a VHS tape, they will make it appear that it is something very valuable in order to be able to charge you a higher fee.  Even if you order just 2 DVDs, they can make it appear that it is for commercial purposes and so charge more.  Each post office has a monthly quota for taxes.  The officials get a large percentage of whatever they are able to collect.  Then of course, if the recipient is too shocked and is unable to pay the supposed duties, they will readily offer the poor recipient a "settlement".  The officials will suddenly whip out a calculator and tell the recipient that they can make "certain concessions" and voila, some magical amount lower than the supposed duties will appear on the calculator screen!  In some post offices, the customs officials can be directly "garapal"; they will tell the recipient offhand that they want say P500 and they will release your parcel no questions asked.

Some post offices are closely monitored by the media and therefore have no choice but to do things properly.  In the Ortigas Center post office, the business district already generates more than enough taxes so that they generally don't coax money out of poor recipients.

Sigh, in short, your taxes and duties really depend on whether you are in luck today or not.

I got a proforma calculation from the unfriendly postal person and it shows the following computation:

US$ 78
 x      56 (exchange rate to peso)
 ---------
 x     .05 (5% for Custom Duty; meron ba talaga nito???)
 ---------

515 (fixed Imp Proc Fee/Custom Doc Stamp/BIRdaw)
 ---------
  x    .10 (10% VAT; this should only be the bulk of it!)
 ----------

SUMMARY:

Custom Duty                      - Php 218
VAT                                     - Php 510
Import Processing Fee       - Php 250
Custom Doc. Stamp/BIR     - Php 265
-----------------------------------------------
Total                                    Php1,243

(This is NOT a receipt)  

What is the real computation since for a package worth US$ 78 (including US$ taxes and post shipping cost, shouldn't this be just the exact material cost excluding shipment and US$ taxes) , I am being levied the equivalenet of US$ 22 or roughly 28% of the total cost.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2004 at 09:12 AM by jackryan »

Offline T-850

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • you are TERMINATED!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Mar 16, 2004 at 08:19 AM »
DVDs and toys are known to be "luxury goods" that is why these people charge us high to (i guess) prevent us from being to luxurious!?  ???

INGGIT LANG SILA!!!!

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Mar 28, 2004 at 08:48 PM »
does anyone know where parañaque post office is?

kc its my first time to receive a cd from abroad. eh the post office sent me a piece of paper to receive the item.

and does anyone of you guys experienced negative encuentros with the people there?

para ill be warned.

Offline MiKeBiBbY

• Collector
  • This is our year...
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 01:35 PM »
does anyone know where parañaque post office is?

kc its my first time to receive a cd from abroad. eh the post office sent me a piece of paper to receive the item.

and does anyone of you guys experienced negative encuentros with the people there?

para ill be warned.

what you have is called a parcel notice from the post office.  

the pque post office is located along sucat road, around 200 meters after you pass olive's cinema (in front of the dampa market, coming from sm sucat).

if your package contains only a cd (as in isang piraso lang), you'll most probably be asked to pay only P30... based on past experience (when i used to pick up my online dvd orders from there), this is the only amount i was asked to pay. ngayon kasi straight na sa house namin dinadala yung orders ko. wala na kong natatanggap na parcel notice.

hope this helps.  8)

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 07:09 AM »
the place before the bridge... the old building with the pedestrian pass....la huerta.

thanks.

;D

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Apr 03, 2004 at 09:24 AM »
paid only 30 pesos for my package. didnot encounter any problems at all. transaction went smoothly. in practically 2 minutes i had my package.

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
Re: post office charges for online orders
« Reply #66 on: Sep 04, 2004 at 11:26 PM »
ang advice ko lang para di kayo ma-jackpot ng mga ogag na customs na yan eh, claim it very early in the morning [tipong kakabukas pa lang nila] para wala pa ang mga dyaskeng customs na yan.

that's what i always do when i claim my packages from CALOOCAN P.O.
although baka depende rin sa PO nyo kung papayagan kayo....

so tips to all who claim at CALOOCAN P.O., claim it very early [round 8am] or before closing [5pm], and check kung nandun ang customs. pag nandun, balik na lang kayo next time if you dont want to risk paying absurdly high prices for your packages.

hope this helps!

: AYUZ!  >:(
LAKAD PILIPINAS: Explore the Philippines & Beyond

Offline Astroantiquity

• Collector
  • "Get Off the Internet!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Sep 05, 2004 at 07:39 PM »
ang advice ko lang para di kayo ma-jackpot ng mga ogag na customs na yan eh, claim it very early in the morning [tipong kakabukas pa lang nila] para wala pa ang mga dyaskeng customs na yan.

so tips to all who claim at CALOOCAN P.O., claim it very early [round 8am] or before closing [5pm], and check kung nandun ang customs. pag nandun, balik na lang kayo next time if you dont want to risk paying absurdly high prices for your packages.

hope this helps!

Tama.  Ganito kasi ginagawa ko usually.  Napabayad lang ako kasi atat na atat na ako makakuha, and extend a liitle generosity sa mga P.O. employees kasi mabait naman sila. At pwede niyo pang kakuntsaba iyong mga kartero niyo(abutan niyo maski na 200p or 150p, I mean kung ikaw ang kukuha mamamasahe ka din naman...).
There's nothing gratuitous about my films. --Dario Argento

Offline olison14

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Oct 10, 2004 at 10:58 PM »
korek ang sabi no astroaniquity. ako, what i do is get to the p.o. before 8am para pagkabukas nila maka-claim na ako and usuallywala pa dun yung taga-customs kaya  i usually pay around p30 lang kung yungtotal cost ng order ko is less than $100.
nagka-experience na din ako ng malaking customs charges before and i was told that it was legal, maybe it was kasi i didn't stop until the matter was investigated. they provided me with a 10 page explanation regarding taxes, i even got to talk to the customs commissioner that time.

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Oct 11, 2004 at 01:45 AM »
korek ang sabi no astroaniquity. ako, what i do is get to the p.o. before 8am para pagkabukas nila maka-claim na ako and usuallywala pa dun yung taga-customs kaya  i usually pay around p30 lang kung yungtotal cost ng order ko is less than $100.
nagka-experience na din ako ng malaking customs charges before and i was told that it was legal, maybe it was kasi i didn't stop until the matter was investigated. they provided me with a 10 page explanation regarding taxes, i even got to talk to the customs commissioner that time.

legal but sobrang hindi standardized! they should have that thing standardized kung gusto talaga nila i-tax para wala na yung mga abusive na customs official [from what i gather kasi, they get some percentage off that, parang commision yata nila...]

: AYUZ !  >:(

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #70 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 03:50 PM »
hi guys

im from makati, and based sa mga kwento nyo, mukhang nakakatakot atang mag-purchase online. anyway, nilagay kong shipping address is our office. paano pala ako ma-contact ng post office? this is just my first time so dami ko talagang nde alam  ;D

thanks!

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 06:00 PM »
bro, as is always the case, they'll send a notification card when your package arrives. pa-isa isa lang ang dvd pag nag-sesend ako sa makati. :)

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 08:27 AM »
ganun ba? 2 kasi in-order ko kaagad  ;D haay, bahala na. follow ko na lang suggestions nyo na maaga pumunta sa post office. thanks guys!

Offline Reefshark

• Collector
  • Ride on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #73 on: Oct 21, 2004 at 05:51 PM »
Hay naku!!! Kainis talaga yung mga tao sa Makati post office.

I took advantage of the $3 shipping from Koreandvd and ordered 3 discs at once, now gusto ako itax and take note I went late na so wala na yung taga customs, nagcompute ng tax fee ko yung taga PO and it was close to P1,300 ang kailangan kong bayaran.  Sobrang taga, the items I bought totaled only $9.00.  So sabi ko sa kanila hindi ko na lang kukunin dahil mura lang yung laman, then they hinted na I could talk to the customs offical para wala nang resibo na transaction, around P500 daw pwede na but to come back tomorrow as wala nang taga customs duon.

I just asked them na kung pwede ngayon ko na bayaran para di na ako balik tomorrow and sabi nya "kung may tiwala ka sakin na i-aabot ko yung P500 sakanya, di sige".  That was a load of crap, but hey I always knew it would be going to their pockets naman.

Lesson here is next time, wag mag pa ship ng tatlong dvd in one package.   ;)

And the clincher is I went to the PO with out any package notice and just looked in their log book as last 16/Sept pa shinip-out yung package ko and I found it sa arrivals last 24/Sept, not one notice at all!

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Oct 21, 2004 at 06:07 PM »
Mahal talaga ang customs tax kaya 1 item lang per shipment or at least 5 items para mahati mo na lang yung charges para lumabas na maliit lang charge per item.  :)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Oct 21, 2004 at 07:09 PM »

hope this helps!

Bro nandun pa ba sina Rey & I forgot the other one....they are very nice naman....all of my packages from ebay....sa kanila dumaan....walang kahirap-hirap.... :)

Offline cineaste

• Collector
  • Do whatever you wanna do with me, just do it right
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Oct 22, 2004 at 12:12 AM »
QC Central Post Office at Araneta Center

Advice: Claim your packages earl in the morning too.  Preferably Mondays.  The 2 dispatchers there, Rey and the other guy, tipped me off that the customs official is required to attend the flag ceremony, so he usually arrives late (around 10).

So i just get my packages from the dispatcher.  I jsut give them 50 pesos each as goodwill money (if there's such a thing).

If the customs guy is there (the old old one), he is worth 500 bucks. >:D
To the table or to bed, you must come when you are bid.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Oct 22, 2004 at 08:31 AM »
ayos na advice yan. 8am during mondays para flag ceremony at walang customs.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 05:21 AM »
hi guys,  dont want to be a party pooper. but some friendly builds and word(s) of advice lang..

though we aim to prioritize other costs and save moneys from this expensive hobby, i think we should remember that paying customs tax is more or less a citizen obligation. where the money goes is a different story and should be discussed in a different venue... the non-standardized procedures and business practices are the questionable matters here.

based on the buying patterns from different online stores, i have more or less gauged where and when to send my packages to save me some of my precious moneys. of course without the intention of indirectly escaping such tax reality. sino ba ang di gustong maka-save?  there are PO's which allow up to 5 titles and no tax would be imposed... minsan 1 title lang, taxed ka na.. sa makati, pag 2 titles or discs, taxed na agad. sa province, no limit minsan. minsan the gift wrap (for $2.50) or mere gift message (from amazon and yesasia) may save you big moneys..  or third party shippers like JAC or E2 can be considered as options.. endless possibilities talaga.

whether you are buying your criterions or your new asian limited editions,  compute your tax as you checkout.... know the rules and work around it to your advantage.. and always keep right! and remember your rights when talking with these customs reps..  kahit ako disappointed minsan...

good luck!!

Peace!!

8)

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2004 at 06:04 AM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #79 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 07:39 AM »
QC Central Post Office at Araneta Center

Advice: Claim your packages earl in the morning too.  Preferably Mondays.  The 2 dispatchers there, Rey and the other guy, tipped me off that the customs official is required to attend the flag ceremony, so he usually arrives late (around 10).

So i just get my packages from the dispatcher.  I jsut give them 50 pesos each as goodwill money (if there's such a thing).

If the customs guy is there (the old old one), he is worth 500 bucks. >:D

The customs guy there is a new one. According to Rey(?), the old guy I used to deal with passed away already, bless his soul.

I got my Starwars set in the afternoon but only paid P30 inspection fee (is it because of the local mailing from Royale Logistics?). I did not/forgot to hand over goodwill money. I hope they don't get back at me the next time.  :(

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 01:18 PM »

Bro nandun pa ba sina Rey & I forgot the other one....they are very nice naman....all of my packages from ebay....sa kanila dumaan....walang kahirap-hirap.... :)

yep dun pa si rey. very nice dude!  :)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 02:04 PM »

yep dun pa si rey. very nice dude!  :)

Thanks bro for the info....the other one is Don. Both are a few good men in Caloocan P.O.  8)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 05:23 PM »

I got my Starwars set in the afternoon but only paid P30 inspection fee (is it because of the local mailing from Royale Logistics?). I did not/forgot to hand over goodwill money. I hope they don't get back at me the next time.  :(

is this a new rule? i was not asked to pay when i got my recent orders from Amazon. as a policy, local mails are exempted from inspections.

8)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 05:33 PM »

is this a new rule? i was not asked to pay when i got my recent orders from Amazon. as a policy, local mails are exempted from inspections.

8)

even 30 bucks hem..... ???

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 05:50 PM »
yep..  no charge at all.. :)

as a policy, PO should deliver the packages in the same manner as the ordinary air mail envelopes. i only claimed some boxes kasi more than 5 lbs ang weight at di makarga sa bisikleta ng mailman. same procedure in US, kaso naka vehicle na sa kanila..

:)
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2004 at 05:59 PM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 05:55 PM »
That means our local P.O. are reliable except for some few people who....ehem....wants some lagay..... ;D

so far wala pa kong naencounter baka takot sa kin.... ;)

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #86 on: Oct 23, 2004 at 10:14 PM »

8)

I'm a little confused myself. What I've experienced is that if Araneta PO sends a notification, and I go there to claim it, I pay the inspection fee. The first free WinXP Update CD I ordered, they even sent a notification and subsequently I paid the fee. The next time, for the WinXP SP2 CD, it was delivered straight to me.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Oct 25, 2004 at 08:46 AM »
alam nyo ba kung ano magiging difference kapag sa post office ng province ko pina-deliver? kung may additional charges ba? same tax?

thanks!  O0

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Oct 25, 2004 at 09:55 AM »
^ No additional charges.  :)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Oct 26, 2004 at 08:42 AM »
pero paano ang process noon? sa manila darating ang package, then transport to province? nde ba mas mabagal un? and mas delikado ung package? alam nyo naman post office dito, pag dumating sayo ung sulat feeling mo nabuksan na  ;D