Author Topic: Magnavision/Sony Pictures Entertainment's 299 DVDs  (Read 16023 times)

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Magnavision's 299 DVDs
« Reply #30 on: Jul 17, 2005 at 10:18 PM »
wala ba nag mo monitor from magna sa thread na to?
they are now the second worse distributor in the country, c-interactive being the worst.

well at least c-interactive is trying to improve.

ang magna, pabaliktad ang urong.

baka maunahan pa ng c -inte ractive ang  magna nyan....

I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.

Offline p.dividdy2

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Galit Na Si Manoy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 01:03 AM »
Do you guys think that I can return/upgrade the titles (Spiderman & Badboys II) that I bought from them since the case says its dual layer while the actual disc is DVD 5 ???

si Susan Roces na nga ang nagsabi.."ang sinungaling ay kapatid ng Magna..vision!?"
PinoyBazaar - Shop Easy!
http://pinoybazaar.forumotion.com

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #32 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 09:50 AM »
Turns out they've been monitoring this thread. The way I understand it, the 1-disc DVD5 versions are fully licensed from the studios and are meant to appeal to the market segment that's still VCD-centric and doesn't put a premium on extras. Mukhang di pang PinoyDVD. The 2-disc versions will continue to be available starting at Php375 all the way up to Php850. They're looking into alternate packaging/labels and prominent disclaimers to make sure that discriminating buyers understand the difference(s).
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 11:24 AM »
i wonder if the international studios have seen how magna packages their products!!! haha

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jul 18, 2005 at 11:25 AM »
si Susan Roces na nga ang nagsabi.."ang sinungaling ay kapatid ng Magna..vision!?"

i didnt get this joke man!

been out of the country for too long!
DAMN!  >:(

Offline vinnov4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Magna
« Reply #35 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 02:02 PM »
Bad Boys 2 2 disc ed mukhang nagkaubusan na din. Ingat lang mga nakikita ko kase ngayon single disc ed ng bad boys 2 for 299.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 06:38 PM »
i didnt get this joke man!

been out of the country for too long!
d**n!  >:(

;D ;D ;D

"May kasabihan tayong mga Pilipino - Ang sinungaling ay kapatid ng magnanakaw!"
News, June 30, 2005: http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/hl/hl102303.htm

You don't have to be in the country.  Just read online Philippine newspapers and pinoydvd big talk and small talk.  :D :D :D

« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2005 at 06:40 PM by barrister »

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
Magna
« Reply #37 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 09:02 AM »
Bad Boys 2 2 disc ed mukhang nagkaubusan na din. Ingat lang mga nakikita ko kase ngayon single disc ed ng bad boys 2 for 299.

badboys2 2 disc ed is a magnavision release di ba? (not a viva), there was confusion also at astro cyberzone sm north, i called them twice to ask if the 2 disc ed is included, as earlier mentioned in this thread, they affirmed.  when i got there it was priced P999, they are giving me the budget edition for 299. i got pissed  >:( and walked away
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline THX1138

• Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
Magna
« Reply #38 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 09:23 AM »

As for Magnavision, I don't know what happened to them. They started releasing those awful P299 versions. Even their latest releases such as Hitch are priced P475 but packaged in DVD5 just like their P299 counterparts. Seems like a major marketing blunder.

Sorry, out of topic, but I noticed there are two versions of Hitch on sale. The P475 versions which appears to be of the same quality DVD5 as the Magna P299 titles and the imported P895 version which looks like it is a DVD9.

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
Magna
« Reply #39 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 11:19 AM »
Sorry, out of topic, but I noticed there are two versions of Hitch on sale. The P475 versions which appears to be of the same quality DVD5 as the Magna P299 titles and the imported P895 version which looks like it is a DVD9.

the 475 version is one of the "budget dvds", as they call it in astroplus mega

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
Magna
« Reply #40 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 12:19 PM »
badboys2 2 disc ed is a magnavision release di ba? (not a viva), there was confusion also at astro cyberzone sm north, i called them twice to ask if the 2 disc ed is included, as earlier mentioned in this thread, they affirmed.  when i got there it was priced P999, they are giving me the budget edition for 299. i got pissed  >:( and walked away

I suggest everyone here in Pinoydvd should boycott all these budget edition.  If you guys buy them, we'll up with more budget crap while the regular version will stay expensive.  Just like those idiotic "full screen version" that's been popping up lately.

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
Magna
« Reply #41 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 12:53 PM »
I suggest everyone here in Pinoydvd should boycott all these budget edition.  If you guys buy them, we'll up with more budget crap while the regular version will stay expensive.  Just like those idiotic "full screen version" that's been popping up lately.

i totally agree with this one

Offline Chet

• Collector
  • Liked:
Magna
« Reply #42 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 01:43 PM »
I support this idea.  We should make members and other consumers aware that the local market is being flooded with these crap releases.  I think we should start with a list of the offending the titles, both the foolscreen discs and the single disc, dvd 5 re-releases.  Better pa sana if we could get pictures.

Offline El Zar

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Magna
« Reply #43 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 03:55 PM »
These cheap releases look cheap. You get what you pay for. Parang piratang legal ang dating. Sorry, mods.  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Magna
« Reply #44 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 04:01 PM »
P299 or P350 is still much too expensive for these. But at P80, won't complain.  DVD-5 lang pala. 

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Magna
« Reply #45 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 08:41 PM »
we should conitinue the boycott issue at the magna thread sa "R3"

i agree with this. problema, mas madami pa din siguro bibili nitong crap edition either by accident or out of ignorance.

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 08:44 PM »
hehe tnx. too busy with pinoydvd and emailing with the wifey. no time na to read the news.

anyways, going back to topic...

some members were suggesting a boycott of the budget editions. good idea!

pero marami pa din maloloko dun sa edition na yun kase mura. especially those that arent membrs of pinoydvd.

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 10:25 PM »
No offense, but the people Magna tries to attract with their P299 budget DVD5 are the ones who will buy p|rated dvds anyway.  If they can't afford P350, then what makes you think P299 is the "sweet spot" price?  It's idiotic marketing strategy.  I know a guy at work who is a casual movie enthusiasts, and he would rather buy the P99 non-p|rated VCDs than buy the p|rated DVD version.  P99 VCD is the sweet spot the massa buys.  The people who can pay P299 for a DVD, will rather pay P350 for the real version.  That's why this P299 crap will fail.

Some of these titles are tempting, but think about this.  What if this experiment failed and they stopped making these budget titles and then 6 months from now, you see the Spiderman 2-DVD version on sale for P333?  That's gonna make your P299 DVD5 version look stupid now won't it?

The other side of the coin is, what if this thing becomes a success?  Say goodbye to all P333 2-DVD and dual-layer DVD sale.  They'll be priced at P800, aimed for the "hardcore" DVD fans while the P299 single-layer full-screen version fill the market.  The regular DVD9 version will be pulled off the shelves, like some stores are doing right now, so not to confuse the tiny minded public.

So my advice is, hold out from buying these crap.  I'll bet you big money the real version of these DVDs will be priced at P333 this coming Christmas sale.
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2005 at 11:38 PM by upinsmoke »

Offline vinnov4

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 20, 2005 at 11:11 PM »
Dami ngang naglabasan nitong mga "orig" dvds for 299 pero sa itsura pa lang ng packaging mukhang low quality na. Kase para sa akin sa cover pa lang may idea na ako kung ano quality nung nasa loob. Tulad nung sale ngayon na MIB 1 and 2 na sigle disc sa cover pa lang mukhang xerox na colored ang itsura. I haven't bought any of these sa correct me if i'm wrong na pag medyo pangit ang cover low quality din ang disc sa loob. The best bang for the buck na sale ngayon para sa akin e yung mga 350 2 disc ng warner and 299 2 disc ng viva and yung mga single disc nila na transparent yung casing i think all of them are A-ok. Except for some na talagang bare packaging lang like passion of Christ pero ok yung quality ng disc.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 01:59 PM »
I wonder if Magna are consulting their target market before they do stunts like this one?

I think they've consulted their accountants.  ;D

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 07:01 PM »
i almost laughed when i saw the features of the 299 peso Spider-Man, and daming kulang!!!

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 08:26 PM »
Ingat nalang sa pagpili ng bibilhin. 299 is way to expensive for those discs.  :P Look at Viva. they have a very nice 299 fox sale. some of them 2 disc editions pa.

OT: id like to give a shout out to Warner. keep up. despite a few minor complaints.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2005 at 08:27 PM by riverfan »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 22, 2005 at 01:45 PM »
I hope someone with clout in Magna is reading this thread and others about their pseudo sale foisting watered-down DVD versions.  Strictly speaking, they're not really on SALE, as in the Warner sale.  They're actually overpriced for their pirated-like DVDs and packaging. 

Offline maverickph

• Collector
  • DVD Fanatic
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 22, 2005 at 03:40 PM »
Agree ako asa lahat ng sinabi nyo.  I remember when I was start collecting original DVD last year timing yung magagandang R1 dvd from viva and warner sulit talaga mga 2 disk gaganda pa ng cover at slip cases.  Napansin ko rin na halos mga member din ng pinoydvd ang mga unang nagpapatronize ng mga original dvd nowaday.  Im greatful sa mga nag rereleased ng mag orginal dvd at a lowest price at least ngayon ma compare mo ang quality ng mga original from pirated at yung mga limited edition grabe gaganda ng packaging.

Sana naman pag may ganitong sale sila wag nila tayong gaguhin na parang hindi nakakapag research sa net about the kind of products they are selling.  Sana malaman nila na we are now capable of ordering beautiful and quality dvd sa ibang country.  Kaya nice move para sa warner yung mga bagong releases nila to capture market share.  Para sa akin ngayon palang nag boboom ang mga original dito sa pinas kasi bumababa na ang mga prices nila.  Para sa ordinary employee like us we can't afford bumili ng marami for and ordinary dvd at a price of 899 - 1000+.  ANO BA GINAGAWA NG OPTICAL MEDIA BOARD DITO SA PINAS? Parang naka concentrate na lang ata sila sa kakahuli ng mga pirata.  Wala ka man lang marinig na paises sa mga nag papatronize ng mga original to eliminate pirated.  Siguro kung di naging talamak piracy dito sa pinas di  parin nila ibabagsak presyo nila. What do you think.
Happy to meet You.

Offline El Zar

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Magna
« Reply #54 on: Jul 22, 2005 at 04:16 PM »
P299 or P350 is still much too expensive for these. But at P80, won't complain.  DVD-5 lang pala. 

P80? Sounds good.

Offline Dowals

• DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jul 22, 2005 at 05:05 PM »
baka ma-out-of stock sila pag P80  :D

Offline dorian_gray

• DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jul 22, 2005 at 06:48 PM »
mag-picket kaya tayo sa harap ng opisina ng magna. hehehehe!

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 08:50 AM »
sama ako. hehe!

id really lov an official comment from magna about this.

why can viva improve and warner almost sustain the same quality over the years, but they cant!

is lowering the production cost of their dvds (supposedly increasing income) their main concern?

Offline vinnov4

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:19 AM »
Para sakin naman ok lang hindi ganun kaganda cover or case or kahit walang insert basta mababa yung price and walang nasacrifice sa quality ng orig disc. Mas ok sakin high quality yung mismong disc kahit low quality yung cover, pero wag naman yung mukhang basura, he he! ;D

Offline mongaddi

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jul 23, 2005 at 09:04 PM »
Para sakin naman ok lang hindi ganun kaganda cover or case or kahit walang insert basta mababa yung price and walang nasacrifice sa quality ng orig disc. Mas ok sakin high quality yung mismong disc kahit low quality yung cover, pero wag naman yung mukhang basura, he he! ;D

mukang basura? ang sakit mo naman magsalita. hehehe  ;D