Author Topic: whats the biggest reason why you lovetubes?!?!  (Read 11336 times)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: whats the biggest reason why you lovetubes?!?!
« Reply #60 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:14 AM »
on tube rolling:

there are no bad tubes, only bad designs and lousy designers! ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #61 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:19 AM »
For me they produce better sine waves output

How? Pls remember that both SS and vacuum tubes are used in civilian, industrial or military applications whether it be high frequency or otherwise. The accurate reproduction of signals is paramount. Perhaps you meant you like amplifying devices such as tubes or solid state that are designed and manufactured properly.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:23 AM »
no one wants to listen to sine waves! you can go deaf in time and have your speakers burnt to a crisp ;D

Yep ... I use a signal generator lots of times and I can't hear a thing whether its sine, triangular or square wave.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:25 AM »
unfortunately for us pinoys, we are a people  that are clanish and cultists, that we see more the person rather than what the person is trying to say. we see this pattern replicate over and over in almost everything we do. it is in our physce so to speak.

now going back to this hobby, a person with engineering training will not have a hard time understanding the principles involved, yet unfortunately it is these same people who capatilizes on the ignorance of many with the sole motive of reaping huge profits, making audiophiles spend more money than they need to.

so it is always best to learn as much as you can. para hindi ka mabola! ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:26 AM »
Sir 2ny, sino sino itong mga engineer na ito?  :)

... napakaraming kung anu ano ang sinasabi wala naman scientific basis. O di kaya binabaluktot ang scientific explanation.  ::)
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:33 AM by rascal101 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:33 AM »
oh, i am not  refferring to any pinoy in particular, but you see them on the web all the time, they are all  over the world! read what they say and you will know! ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:36 AM »
napakaraming kung anu ano ang sinasabi wala naman scientific basis. O di kaya binabaluktot ang scientific explanation. 

comments that do not offer any scientific explanations are at best "social comments" and are to be treated as such, they are not worth anything.

why? because with such comments as "i heard an audible difference" there is nothing for you to measure, replicate and find out by yourself. so how can such comments be of use to you?

ang maniwala sa sabi-sabi, walang bait sa sarile! ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:39 AM by 2ny »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 10:52 AM »
not to leave you empty handed, here is a sample of what i consider a usefull comment"

"changing operating points from 150volts plate to 200 volts plate gave sinificant improvement in sound, for my 6sn7 line amp."

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #68 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 11:59 AM »
para naman hindi kayo masyadong ma OT...

one of the reasons why tubes? - because you want to try it? or na-SARS ka?

myth: The least path of resistance is through a Vacuum.

"If you don't hear the "reasons", then you are so lucky because you don't need to spend much. "

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 12:05 PM »
para naman hindi kayo masyadong ma OT...

one of the reasons why tubes? - because you want to try it? or na-SARS ka?

myth: The least path of resistance is through a Vacuum.

"If you don't hear the "reasons", then you are so lucky because you don't need to spend much. "

DrKYgeli,

kaya ba nagtube ka na rin?? ;D ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 12:07 PM »
Kasi na-SARS ako eh...  ;D ;D ;D

isa pala yan sa mga reasons ng tubes.  :D :D

Offline eXg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Deserve the Best!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 01:17 PM »

cursed are the peeps who hear too much  :(

Offline ganicru

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 10:18 AM »
more pleasure in audio experience, if you can afford, why not?
Panasonic PV70
Bose acoustimass 7, vcs10, mdl100x3
Velodyne CHT 8R
Kenwood KRF X9090D
Sony BDP S

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • dont drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 11:54 AM »
 ;D ;D ;Dwala pa ding sumasagot sa tabobg ko about kung sinong magpapahiaram sakin ng tube amp!!!! ;D...mas maganda nga siguro mag audition!!!!sino sasama sakin sa makati mamaya??!?!
from the antigravity defying force of an immortal jedi

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 12:32 PM »
no one wants to listen to sine waves! you can go deaf in time and have your speakers burnt to a crisp ;D
Sir correct me if i'm wrong our amplifier output is an AC wave, one reason that our speakers burn if your speaker received a DC.
If we can check the output of our speakers in oscilloscope its AC wave or sinewave right? Again correct me if i'm wrong, I'm not an expert. I'm here to learn not show to that i am dumb ;)
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 04:31 PM »
Sir correct me if i'm wrong our amplifier output is an AC wave, one reason that our speakers burn if your speaker received a DC.
If we can check the output of our speakers in oscilloscope its AC wave or sinewave right? Again correct me if i'm wrong, I'm not an expert. I'm here to learn not show to that i am dumb ;)

yes it is AC becuase it(music)has a period and amplitude just like a sine wave, but it is not a sine wave! it has pitch, but it is transient, not regular like the sinewave. it may not even be symetrical like the sine wave, meaning the positive and negative peaks may not be equal, it being transient in nature. hope you grasp my meaning.

hey, don't worry i am more dumb than you think you are, relax. ;D

oh and speakers are damaged in two differnt ways, one is thru mecahnical, meaning the voice coil bottomed out and when the voice coils burns out, one is by dc current high enpough to melt the wires and coil forms, the other by continous sine waves of even low watts, i have experienced this myself that is how i know. ;)

Offline eXg

• Collector
  • Deserve the Best!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 05:50 PM »
OT:  "bottoming out" -- someone used this word before to describe a speaker driver's incapability to respond to the demans of the material on playback.  for instance, a war scene and the speakers kind of choking due to perhaps to very low freq (drivers are full range/no filters). 

can this type of bottoming out damage the driver?

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Feb 03, 2006 at 07:37 PM »
probably yes because the voice coil is already hitting the backend of the magnet assembly. repeated hits can deform the voice coil too.

severe clipping can also damage speakers, this probably falls in the dc current cause because the burnout is caused by too much current passing through the coils.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Feb 04, 2006 at 06:40 AM »
OT:  "bottoming out" -- someone used this word before to describe a speaker driver's incapability to respond to the demans of the material on playback.  for instance, a war scene and the speakers kind of choking due to perhaps to very low freq (drivers are full range/no filters). 

can this type of bottoming out damage the driver?

remember that the speaker cone assembly has mass, therefore inertia and when in motion it is the ability of the amps to damp the speaker movements that is key. parang kotse na mabilis ang takbo, hit the brakes hard and you are liable to go siyete. same principle applies.
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2006 at 10:02 AM by 2ny »

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Feb 04, 2006 at 06:41 PM »
Pls stick to the topic. Thanks

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 11:06 AM »
Pls stick to the topic. Thanks

thanks sir !! the biggest reason why i was not  responding lately is cause nakakalog nag utak ko ;D.....sa mga nag post salamat .......meron ba kayong mga diagram ng mga DIY tubes...try ko kung kaya kong bumuo!!!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 11:59 AM »
marami tayo niyan sa net...

http://www.one-electron.com/FC_Consumer.html

eat your brains out  ;D

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 02:51 PM »
marami tayo niyan sa net...

http://www.one-electron.com/FC_Consumer.html

eat your brains out  ;D

thanks sir jojo pero ...wala ka ba yung may mga picture ng finish product kasi i feel na its easier if your looking at pictures instead of lines...plus if you know a good site for beginers na may mga terms ..paki post na din po dito...thnks

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 10:13 AM »
thanks sir jojo pero ...wala ka ba yung may mga picture ng finish product kasi i feel na its easier if your looking at pictures instead of lines...plus if you know a good site for beginers na may mga terms ..paki post na din po dito...thnks

ah ok, you can try google and search for it, I'm sure there are a lot more "reasons" out there why you want to use tubes.   8)

Offline eXg

• Collector
  • Deserve the Best!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 12:25 PM »
ah ok, you can try google and search for it, I'm sure there are a lot more "reasons" out there why you want to use tubes.   8)

agree... my own journey started with google.  and glad that there' a thread here about tube questions to clarify confusing/unclear points.  beware, it's a long journey but well worth the trip.... ooops maybe, better phrase: endless journey.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2006 at 12:27 PM by eXg »

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 12:46 PM »
thnks mga sir......siguro ill try to equip myself first with basic knowledge in regards to electronics.........the most complicated thig that i ever built was a am receiver back in highschool ;D kit na ito na nag patulong ako pa ko sa mga uncle ko...........siguro better understanding first bago ako sumabak dito ....i really want to have tubes pero baka pag di ko na makaya ay iwanan ko na ang project na to and i dont want that to happen...waste of time and effort pag nagkaganun!!!!enways keep onposting po kung may alam kayo na madaling sundan na mga diagrams ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 05:45 PM »
thnks mga sir......siguro ill try to equip myself first with basic knowledge in regards to electronics.........the most complicated thig that i ever built was a am receiver back in highschool ;D kit na ito na nag patulong ako pa ko sa mga uncle ko...........siguro better understanding first bago ako sumabak dito ....i really want to have tubes pero baka pag di ko na makaya ay iwanan ko na ang project na to and i dont want that to happen...waste of time and effort pag nagkaganun!!!!enways keep onposting po kung may alam kayo na madaling sundan na mga diagrams ;D

hala... kung ganyan ang attitude mo sa mga projects ay dapat mag build ka muna ng patience at perseverance aside from basic electronics. sometimes projects can be frustrating, but you have to learn how to convert frustration into excitement, look at problems as challenges.

Thomas Edison failed a thousand times before he was able to make his first light bulb to work. Yet he didn't waste his time for a thousand times, but instead, he learned not to make a light bulb work a thousand ways.

and of course, you have to find the "reason" to drive you. this applies to ss as well.

best regards

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 07:21 PM »
hala... kung ganyan ang attitude mo sa mga projects ay dapat mag build ka muna ng patience at perseverance aside from basic electronics. sometimes projects can be frustrating, but you have to learn how to convert frustration into excitement, look at problems as challenges.

Thomas Edison failed a thousand times before he was able to make his first light bulb to work. Yet he didn't waste his time for a thousand times, but instead, he learned not to make a light bulb work a thousand ways.

and of course, you have to find the "reason" to drive you. this applies to ss as well.

best regards

tama kayo sir ill build up my patience first and try to make a simple prototype first kaya lang ilang tubo kaya ang masisira ko ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 07:28 PM »

tama kayo sir ill build up my patience first and try to make a simple prototype first kaya lang ilang tubo kaya ang masisira ko ;D

so far wala pa ako nasisirang tubo - natural causes meron pero accidental wala pa naman.  ;)