Author Topic: When Do You Find The Time To Watch DVDs?  (Read 18822 times)

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
When Do You Find The Time To Watch DVDs?
« on: May 25, 2001 at 11:30 PM »
I mean, I'm not even working full-time nowadays, and yet I find my time so occupied with various responsibilities (write articles, do errands, pick up/drop off family members, attend social functions, attend to kids' needs, put them to bed, etc.) that by the time I have a free moment to do my leisure stuff (DVD-watching included), it's already past 11:00 p.m.  At that point I no longer have the strength, let alone the mood, to watch a full-length movie on DVD.  So these days I end up watching a 24-minute episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and/or posting a few messages on this board, before nodding off.

Does anyone else have this difficulty fitting the DVD viewing into their hectic schedules?

I've been trying to find the time to watch my Nurse Betty DVD for about three weeks now, without success.
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2002 at 03:36 AM by benny »
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: When Do You Find The Time To Watch DVDs?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2001 at 11:56 PM »
i know what you mean....

and with the golf season, my dvd time has even gotten shorter.....

i would usually watch my dvd's at the end of the day and just be contented with 3 to 4 hours of sleep.....

and kasabihan nga eh....you will have all the time to sleep when you get old.... ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2001 at 12:42 AM »
I usually find time. I'm able to to 2 to 3DVDs  a week. And that means sitting there just watching and not doing anything else. But when I'm working, oftentimes a commentary would be on, or supplemental materials like documentaries.

I have to find time to watch them because if work is all I do I'd go nuts man.  :P

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2001 at 12:51 AM »
I have absolutely nothing to contribute to the topic that hasn't already been posted. All I can do is nod my head and say: "True, So True".

I have to work in order to buy my DVDs, but I can't watch my DVDs because I have work. I feel as if I've painted myself in a corner.

Fortunately, there's a small 3-hour window during the weekends that I use to watch some of my DVDs.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2001 at 01:03 AM »
and kasabihan nga eh....you will have all the time to sleep when you get old...
Or as the Warren Zevon song goes, "I'll sleep when I'm dead."  ;)

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2001 at 09:34 AM »
I'll probably have the time to watch my collection and scan all its features during long vacation leaves from work.  At least I'll have something to do, without spending travel money.  
Listen to the silence...

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2001 at 03:53 PM »
After I finished my [work]routine. I will hide at the storage room with my portable player. Ayos na!
There's something to learn everyday

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2001 at 11:53 PM »
barrid, I sincerely wish I had your freedom to watch after finishing work.  Unfortunately, all the jobs I've had are the type where either the boss can easily see my desk, or I have to be out on assignment the entire day.

Now, even though I'm freelancing, it's as if I'm working for my family.  Mas lalo nang wala akong panahon.

Is there even physically enough time for us to thoroughly go through all the features of our collections?  Take mine as an example: I currently have 80+ DVDs.  Let's estimate that it takes an average of four hours(main feature plus extras) to fully exhaust each disc.  So four hours X 80 discs = 320 hours.  That's 27.6 days' of watching DVDs straight.  Assuming each of us can devote at least one day a week to watching DVDs, it would take six months to go through 80+ discs.

But our collections aren't static; we are constantly acquiring new discs.  So unless we are religious about our watching, in practical terms many of us will never get the chance to fully appreciate our collections, unless we quit our jobs or opt for early retirement.

So l therefore conculde that we should all quit our jobs or retire early and devote our lives to watching DVDs! ;)

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2001 at 02:38 AM »
Well, they say you can sleep all you like when you're old, but that doesn't mean you can't watch DVDs in between.  ;)

(and hopefully with pension money to buy more)  ;D

I usually watch my DVDs right after work, and even while eating my dinner so as not to waste any time.  Sometimes I have the patience to watch 2-3 DVDs a night, all of which I have watched several times before.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2001 at 03:24 AM »
I have a regular late-to-five job so I don't get to watch DVDs on weeknights as I'm also a TV junkie. I watch them on weekends when my mom's usually not at home. I can turn up the volume without my mom telling me to turn it down everytime she hears explosions or gunfire. BTW, she asked me lately if there are DVDs that play only music, I made the sign of the cross and shouted, "She has insights!" Anyway, long vacations are perfect time to catch up with your or your friend's collection (Pahiram ulit arcturs). ;)

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2001 at 03:50 AM »
Sometimes, I just give in to temptation and call in sick just to be able to catch up on my DVD watching.

Take today for instance....I couldn't stop watching The Sopranos so the office will just have to do without me for a day.  :P

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2001 at 04:06 AM »
I've been trying to find the time to watch my Nurse Betty DVD for about three weeks now, without success.

Update:  this afternoon my wife and I tried to watch Nurse Betty. We had to stop at the halfway point, because our youngest daughter woke up from her nap, and our middle daughter got tired of watching videos downstairs and came up to stay in our room, and our oldest boy also came in to play video games in our room...and you can't exactly watch an R-rated film like Nurse Betty (graphic violence, harsh language) with kids in the room...so we're going to try again later tonight, although my wife is probably going to fall asleep early and I want to get some work done...sigh...see how tough it is to find the time to watch one DVD?

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2001 at 05:40 AM »
Gonz, my sentiments (and situation) exactly. We've given up trying to watch DVDs on weekdays. If we try to watch at night, either I or Firewired falls asleep one-third into the movie. If we try to watch at any other time of day, the Little One is bound to interrupt. And then he'll insist on popping in his own choice of DVD (since the lowest shelf has 30 kiddie titles, he never runs out). So this year we decided to watch DVDs only on a Sunday. 1 movie in the morning before our toddler awakes, 2 in the afternoon during his siesta, and 1 late at night after he's tucked in. That amounts to 4 DVDs per week, which is a good average. All in a single day. Ah, the fruits of time management.

Offline gets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2001 at 08:05 AM »
i don't have the time to watch dvd. there's always something to miss on tv or something you have to do..10pm news, 11pm seinfeld, 1130pm simpsons, 12-1am voyager - how could you miss those shows?

i tried to watch the whole season 1 of the sopranos this memorial weekend but managed only the first 2 discs staying up till 430am.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2001 at 08:48 AM »
That amounts to 4 DVDs per week, which is a good average. All in a single day. Ah, the fruits of time management.

Four in one day, each week!  Sounds like you two really have your stuff together, DVDgurl and Firewired.

Of course...

...you have just one toddler...let's see how you manage more...

;)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2001 at 02:07 PM »
I watch dvds mostly during summer when tv series are on a break. I don't watch that much since tennis take up too much of my time.

But even when it's not summer, I try to watch at least one dvd every two weeks. When I have coupons from Blockbuster or West Coast (rent 1, get 1 free), I get to watch two. I would usually watch during the most boring night of television ...

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2001 at 06:41 AM »
right now i'm on the 4th month on blockbusters promo of $20 for 30 dvd rentals in a month (1 a day) so i really have to force myself to watch at least 1 dvd a day so i can get the most on the promotion.

out the the 4 months i'm averaging about 24 dvd's a month thus making it like $1.20/dvd... a far cry from their regular rental price of $3.99/dvd

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2001 at 07:39 AM »

right now i'm on the 4th month on blockbusters promo of $20 for 30 dvd rentals in a month (1 a day) so i really have to force myself to watch at least 1 dvd a day so i can get the most on the promotion.

out the the 4 months i'm averaging about 24 dvd's a month thus making it like $1.20/dvd... a far cry from their regular rental price of $3.99/dvd

One dvd a day ??? That's a big commitment Bently. Do you give sleeping pills to your kids to accomplish that ?  ;D just kidding ...

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2001 at 08:02 AM »
Do you give sleeping pills to your kids to accomplish that?

Only on Sundays. :D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2001 at 08:15 AM »

Only on Sundays. :D

What's so special about Sunday ? Everyday would have been more fun ..  ;D

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2001 at 08:40 AM »

One dvd a day ??? That's a big commitment Bently. Do you give sleeping pills to your kids to accomplish that ?  ;D just kidding ...

sleeping pills?....just cough medicine would do the trick right?.... :)

plus...i do not really have to do that, she also has a dvd library of her own so while she's watching her disney or barney dvd's, i get to watch my dvd in the other room ;)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2001 at 09:14 AM »

sleeping pills?....just cough medicine would do the trick right?.... :)

plus...i do not really have to do that, she also has a dvd library of her own so while she's watching her disney or barney dvd's, i get to watch my dvd in the other room ;)

Must be nice to be your neighbor. I can just drop by any night of the week and be assured there's something in your dvd player I/we can watch. Now I am considering moving to IL. Just think of how much money I can save from borrowing your dvds and/or just watching them at your place. And knowing how hospitable Filipinos are, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting free merienda/dinner. So, dvd rentals, electricity and food, that's a lot of savings.. woohoo ! ;D

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2001 at 09:43 AM »

Must be nice to be your neighbor. I can just drop by any night of the week and be assured there's something in your dvd player I/we can watch. Now I am considering moving to IL. Just think of how much money I can save from borrowing your dvds and/or just watching them at your place. And knowing how hospitable Filipinos are, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting free merienda/dinner. So, dvd rentals, electricity and food, that's a lot of savings.. woohoo ! ;D

funny you mentioned that, since bought houses next to me is now on the market, one's a two bedroom townhouse with a single car garrage and the other one is a 4 bedroom townhouse with a 2 car garage and even has a jacuzzi at the back porch.

take your pick..and you would be always welcomed to my house ;)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2001 at 09:49 AM »

funny you mentioned that, since bought houses next to me is now on the market, one's a two bedroom townhouse with a single car garrage and the other one is a 4 bedroom townhouse with a 2 car garage and even has a jacuzzi at the back porch.

take your pick..and you would be always welcomed to my house ;)

Yikes ! Now I am afraid to move. What kind of neighbor are you? Your neighbors are leaving in fleet to be away from you !!! Something must be wrong there ... hmmm. ::)

Offline gets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2001 at 09:58 AM »
a jacuzzi in the back of a porch? wow... that must be big... i thought porches are just 2 seater sports cars....

i just finished watching the 3rd disc of the sopranos.... around 3:30am this morning..
i now have all the time to watch all my dvd's.. as long as i don't sleep...

bada bing...

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2001 at 10:29 AM »

a jacuzzi in the back of a porch? wow... that must be big... i thought porches are just 2 seater sports cars....

he. he. he.  Corny mo! ;)

bada bing...

"Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in." Fuggeddabouddit!

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2001 at 11:09 AM »

Yikes ! Now I am afraid to move. What kind of neighbor are you? Your neighbors are leaving in fleet to be away from you !!! Something must be wrong there ... hmmm. ::)

....i think i have to ease up on the subwoofer
those cracks on the wall are getting big.... ;)

but as to steer this back on topic....

i think it's just time management....
if you can save a few minutes here and there then you can get away in being able to watch a dvd every day,

or..if you have a driver...just get a portable dvd player and watch your dvd's in the car while in the middle of traffic. 8)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2001 at 11:24 AM »

or..if you have a driver...just get a portable dvd player and watch your dvd's in the car while in the middle of traffic.

Now, that is just an accident (and a possible lawsuit) waiting to happen.  ;D

But yeah, I agree that it is only a matter of time management and setting up your priorities.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2001 at 11:31 AM »

Now, that is just an accident (and a possible lawsuit) waiting to happen.  ;D

i said if you have a driver.....
like a chauffer, tsuper, pilot, capitan....

just make sure that, you watch your dvd's at the back of the car,boat,plane...since you're driver or chauffer or tsuper or pilot or capitan.... of the vehicle
... might be tempted to gaze on your movie if you seat in front 8)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2001 at 11:41 AM »
driver ... portable player ... time management ... gotcha neighbor !  ;)