Author Topic: Re: Philips Plasma 42 PF7320  (Read 8482 times)

Offline Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Philips Plasma 42 PF7320
« on: Jan 27, 2006 at 01:59 PM »
Anybody have any experiences with this model or any other philips plasma television.....I might be able to get this on 24 months 0% interest...so seriously considering it....looks nice based on the internet pics and specs....

Offline yakisoba

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 02:02 PM »
how much is this?

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 02:21 PM »
Its selling for 199k I'm suddenly apprehensive about this unit kasi I saw the european model and it didn't get good reviews......42 PF7520 :P

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 02:31 PM »
I can only suppose that if the european version is not that good, I don't see how an Asian version meant for the third world would be any better.  Knowing how manufacturers have this habit to reserve their old unsold or defective inventories to thrid world countries.   ;D

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 04:26 PM »
Sayang the set looks so good on paper.....syempre sabi ng sales guy doon sa store mas ok daw ito kaysa doon sa samsung 42L6HR......hhmmm.....totoo nga kaya or dahil mas mahal yung plasma ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 04:37 PM »
What's that Samsung model, LCD?
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006 at 04:37 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 04:43 PM »
What's that Samsung model, LCD?

Not LCD, DLP the one levi has....although I have heard of a 32" or 26" samsung lcd television which retails for less than a 100k.....ok sana pero parang bitin ako sa 32"....still have to se the room na paglalagyan ko so maka pwede na rin ang 32".....

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2006 at 03:23 PM »
ive got the 32PF7320 model.

maybe the specs of the version sold in europe is different from the one sold here in asia (or Phil). prior to buying my unit, i looked at the 7320 series (but only a 32"), and i noticed that the one released in the US is quite different from the one released here. the outside of the tv looks the same, although there is a bit of difference in the connectors at the back. maybe the firmware could be different as well???

the 32" version of the PF7320 has good reviews. i think i read them from cnet asia. the PF7320, PF9966 & PF5320 series are the current models from philips 2006 catalog. i like the PQ of my unit (although i think sharp is better (but more expensive)). no noticeable ghosting. but i think the menu screen needs a lot of improvement, but since i have a philips flat CRT tv, its something i got used to. sony bravia's menu is better. i also found the panel of the philips is more 'rigid' compared to the samsung. i didnt like the 'black lining' around the samsung's panel. i find it distracting since i can see a reflection while watching...its like a mirror. :)

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2006 at 08:13 AM »
ive got the 32PF7320 model.

Hi Apple _seed,

Can you PM me or post how much did you pay ( or terms if any ) for your 32PF7320? Can you also post a review of the performance? I'm in the market for a plasma TV also. Thanks.

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2006 at 10:17 AM »
Hi Titanium,

My unit is a LCD tv. I can give you a feedback based on my unit, but I dont know if it would be helpful for you since you are considering a plasma tv.

Anyway, here's a mini-'review' of the unit:

Picture Quality - SD broadcast quality is average. My DVD player is hooked-up via component cables & I get clear, crisp & sharp images. The built-in picture settings are helpful if you find the colors too pale or too rich. The active control feature also helps by adjusting the light/brightness based on the input signal coming to the tv. I dont see any noticeable ghosting. Movement is smooth while playing PS2 games. Viewing angle is great (although I wish it has a swivel). I havent tested it using HD signals.

Sound Quality - Nothing spectacular, not much bass coming off it. Its got an equalizer though, but I somehow cant seem to tune the audio output to my liking. I dont use the tv's audio anyway (unless im watching normal cable tv programs). Audio output from the DVD is thru my amp & bookshelf speakers.

Connections - Its got a number of available AV conenctions (component video, antenna, PC/VGA, HDMI, SVideo). What I didnt like about it is that the rear connections are positioned upwards. Its not like the normal, sideways position of the connections at back of your DVD. For this one you have to go under the tv & peek upwards to see w/c connection is for what. It would have been ok if there was an illustration or guide on the side, showing the position of each connector. But I just think that once installed, I wont be tinkering w/ the connections anyway so I can live with it. I wish it had a USB slot so I can plug in my thumbdrive & view pics from digicam.

If there's any specific item you wish to ask, just fire away, hopefully I can give a helpful assessment. :)
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2006 at 01:37 PM by apple_seed »

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2006 at 08:44 AM »
Apple_seed,

thanks for the review. I thought that PF7320 models are plasma ( as mentioned in the subject of this thread ). Anyways, I appreciate your feedback. I have not searched the models you mentioned but I would like very much to see their differences in a demo. I seldom see stores demoing different philips models. Can you tell us where did you purchase your unit and if there are demo units avail to check?

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
Re: Re: Philips Plasma 42 PF7320
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2006 at 08:15 PM »
sirs,

i am also eyeing for this model. im planning to get this one within the week. this is an lcd model right?

how does it fair when compared to the samsung 42l6hr dlp model?

personally, i like the pixel plus feature kasi.

how much did you get this unit?

sir apple_seed, have you noticed some pixelations on this unit? it hat 18ms response time lang daw kasi.

thanks
Ye Boy! :p

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 01:22 PM »
There isnt any noticeable pixelization in the unit. The picture transitions are smooth. I used the battle-scenes from Star Wars Ep 3 as test to see if there are any picture lags. I didnt see any. As far as I know, the response time for this unit is 8ms. Although relative ang measurement ng response times kasi iba-iba ang standards na ginagamit ng bawat manufacturer.

Im not sure how to compare it with the Samsung model you mentioned. I went for the philips bec i liked its style better than Samsung's. I would suggest you do a side-by-side comparison for both units, and see w/c picture/sound/overall quality stands out for you. Asking other people's opinions will probably confuse you more. But as I said, Im satisfied with my unit, and its been performing as well as I expected.

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 11:28 PM »
thanks sir for your inputs.

actually i'm bedazzled with the pixel plus feature of philips. i saw this way back when pixel plus was introduced on their crt models pa, they were using gladiator pa nga as their demo disc.they were phased out eventually,and is now introduced on their plasma / lcd lineups.

if 8ms is the response time for this unit then it is a good news! coz i checked out the web site and it was stated that 18ms lang sya. it is also indicated on the brochure na binigay saking nung salesman.

you have the lcd tv right? and not the plasma as stated here on the thread?

im planning to get this unit anytime within the week. though it was posted from a different that some are not satisfied with the quality of this model nor with the brand itself.

i hope i will not make a big mistake and will regret my decision regarding my purchase.

thanks!

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 01:25 PM »
yes, i have the lcd tv. ive always loved philips tv sets for its durability. my 3yr old philips pixel plus 29" crt is still working perfectly.

im not sure if the model you checked-out from the store is the same as what i have. i bought my unit abroad. from what website did you check the specs of the tv? my tv is exactly as specified from the philips website below (response time 8ms, contrast ratio 600:1, brightness 500 cd/m2). make sure there is a full-warranty on the unit, or if available (& reasonable), get an extended warranty for it.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/catalog.jsp?fhquery=fh_secondid%3D32pf7320_98_my_consumer%26fh_location%3D%2F%2Fconsumer%2Fen_MY%2Fcategories%3Ccatalog_my_consumer%2Fcategories%3Ctv_gr_my_consumer%2Ffh_att_tvscreensize%253DFH_TV_TVSIZE_LARGE%26&productId=32PF7320_98_MY_CONSUMER&activeCategory=TV_GR_MY_CONSUMER&fredhopperpage=detail.jsp&activeTab=specifications&language=en&country=MY&catalogType=CONSUMER&proxybuster=MCM1RWYZ2FAGXJ0RMRCSHQVHKFSESI5P

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 11:36 PM »
talga? well that's nice. kasi philips daw are not so durable..

how does your lcd pixel+ do compared to the crt pixel+? which one produces the best video quality?

based on the specs, it is 8ms nga. same with the philippine site for philips.

well, i sure hope the brochure is wrong and the specs on the site is the correct one.

i will try to get an extended warranty for this...after all, hi end tv na ito and investment na Ü

i am planning to get this one within the week na Ü

thanks bro! you've been so helpful!

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 09:12 AM »
talga? well that's nice. kasi philips daw are not so durable..

how does your lcd pixel+ do compared to the crt pixel+? which one produces the best video quality?

based on the specs, it is 8ms nga. same with the philippine site for philips.

well, i sure hope the brochure is wrong and the specs on the site is the correct one.

i will try to get an extended warranty for this...after all, hi end tv na ito and investment na Ü

i am planning to get this one within the week na Ü

Pol,

be sure to post your own review of the philips 32 LCD ;), Im still trying to decide what flat panel display to buy. Please post the price and terms also if possible. Thanks.

thanks bro! you've been so helpful!

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 10:01 AM »
so far, philips has been a reliable brand for me. my philips portable cd player is still working after almost 10 yrs of use (& abuse). my philips dvd player is still playing dvds from all sort of regions (including quiapo ;D ) hopefully my lcd tv will be just as reliable for years to come.

it could be that the salesperson you asked isnt really familiar with the product he's selling. i observed that if i asked various salespersons from various outlets, they always give inconsistent info. i would personally rely more on the product info from the manufacturer's website. about the brochure, maybe you can call philips customer service to find out w/c is really accurate between the info from the brochure & the website.

about the pixel plus comparisions, i dont see any noticeable difference. but i think the lcd tv will have an edge once an HD input is used.

good luck on your purchase. tip: look at the back of the unit to check its manufacture date/month.  i saw in the mall that there are units made december 2005. request for a new stock, hopefully the shop your buying it from has units dating to dec2005 onwards. kung wala, try mo magpa-order. para sariwang-sariwa ung tv mo!  ;D

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 12:00 PM »
ok! thanks for the tip!

may i ask what manufacturing date is your unit? and do you have any idea what is the latest batch date manufactured?

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 06:03 PM »
mine is october 2005. im not sure what's the current manufacture date of units being sold there. i would suppose that if there are lots of units sold for the model you are interested in, then there will always be a fresh batch of units in stock. just ask the retailer to order a "fresh" unit for you when you finally decide to buy one.

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 12:13 PM »
Since the topic of response times came up in the previous posts, here's a portion of the article I read in the newspaper about this matter.

Unless youre an Olympic athlete, milliseconds should hardly make a difference in your life. Why, then, are LCD computer monitors & LCS tvs boasting a millisecond-response feature in ther sometimes confusing-enough laundry list of specifications? "Its the spec du jour" said Chris Connery, a VP at DisplaySearch, a research firm.

Technological improvements in recent years have reduced response times to the point at which performance gaps between the products would be hard to notice, experts say. The industry norm dropped from 25ms 3 yrs ago to about 8ms for LCD computer monitors and 16ms for LCD tvs by the end of last year. In fact, a 16ms response time translates roughly to 60fps - the rate of fluid, full-motion video - and thus theoretically eliminates obvious blurring. But some manufacturers & experts contend a difference, and slight blurring, can still be perceived between 8ms & 16ms. Below 8ms, any difference in quality would be more difficult to see, with the expeption of gamers dealing with intense motion.

But knowing that movies or videogames mostly involve switches between gray states, Connery said many manufacturers have started to instead tout gray-to-gray response times, w/c can sometimes be faster than black-to-white response times. But consumers arent necessarily being misled, Connery said, since gray-to-gray states are more representative of what people are truly watching anyway. The two scales of measurement - and the lack of any hard and fast standard for consistency in the marketing materials - add to the confusion, however.

The expert recommendation? Note that other key features - contrast ratio, resolution, brightness & cable inputs - are generally more important to the quality and price of an LCD screen than millisecond response times. But to see if there's any noticeable differences, or bothersome blurring, consumers should judge with their own eyes.

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2006 at 10:09 PM »
i finally purchased the 32" model of this flat tv!

ang layo pa ng narating ko! ATC! eh from the far north ako! hahaha!

very accommodating ang staff ng av surfer ATC! sunod talga sila lahat sa requests ko! thanks a lot guys!

i will pick the unit up hopefully this tuesday...cant wait.... Ü

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2006 at 12:00 PM »
congrats! did you request the shop for a new stock? what's the unit's manufacture date/year? hope you will get the late 2005 or early 2006 unit.

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2006 at 10:42 PM »
thanks! yeah, i asked for a fresh stock. i was about to pick it up tomorrow. unfortunately the shop called and they only have oct / nov 2005 manufaturing dates...

they asked me if i am willing to wait until thursday and they will ask for a fresher stock... hopefully, jan / feb 2006.

i guess i have to wait a lil bit pa...

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 10:54 AM »
bro pol congrats! pix agad ha! hehe

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 07:17 PM »
thanks! yeah, i asked for a fresh stock. i was about to pick it up tomorrow. unfortunately the shop called and they only have oct / nov 2005 manufaturing dates...

they asked me if i am willing to wait until thursday and they will ask for a fresher stock... hopefully, jan / feb 2006.

i guess i have to wait a lil bit pa...

oks lang yan, antay ka lang ng ilang araw, at least you'll get a newer unit. besides, i think i read somewhere before that there was a recent firmware upgrade for this paritcular model-series (7320), but im not sure whether its for the LCD or plasma tv, though. just check with the shop, maybe they have an idea about this. in any case, it wont hurt to get the tv with an updated firmware, anyway.

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2006 at 12:33 AM »
bro kt! yah sure! kaso kakahiya wala pa kasi yung rack...center table ko lang muna ipapatong.hehehe.

i post ko photo kapag may rack na.hehehe.

sir apple_seed,

oo nga e, better wait than regret it forever.hahahaha.
tlga? a firmwareupgrade? sana sir ma recall nyo kung sang thread yun. i wanna check it out too.

2 tulog na lang! pixel plus na! hahaha!

Offline apple_seed

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2006 at 10:39 AM »
well, dont worry about the firmware upgrade (if ever there was one). kung wala ka namang na-e-experience na problema sa unit mo, i dont think you'll need one. i think the upgrade was for those units released in the US, otherwise i would have ensured that my unit had the latest firmware.  ;D

Offline espi

• Collector
  • Waddup?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 09:56 AM »
i finally got my unit! hahaha! finished setting up around 3am na!

di pa din nga ako tapos kasi set up ko pa cable channels

i got january 2006...sabi ko fresh dapat or i aint gettin it..hahaha!

sir apple seed, did you use the vga - component cables supplied on the unit? have you tried comparing it against component cables?

IMHO, i think PQ is better with the supplied vga-component cables. i am not quite sure when it is compared na to monster compo cables.

i am not planning to get a high end vga - compo cables nor monster comoo cables, ill go for EDTV players na, which has HDMI connections na, if ever i decide to upgrade.

kt!

andito na yung tv! hahaha! magpost na lang ako pag may rack na. panget patungan ng tv ngayon e! hehehe

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 10:05 AM »
pol wow congrats! musta yung tv oks ba?