Author Topic: Frank Miller's Sin City  (Read 6231 times)

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sin City
« Reply #30 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 12:48 AM »
it's an HK release.. by Panorama.  8)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 10:51 PM »
For those looking for the "extended/special edition" of Sin City -- here are details straight from the horse's mouth (taken from an IGN interview):

IGN: Has DVD become a director's new best friend?
Rodriguez: Yeah. I mean, I think it's just the way you can perceive how entertainment is viewed, not just for DVDs but future HD DVDs and all of the extra things you can put on them. When I was doing Sin City, you're just very aware that, okay, there's the theatrical release, which is pretty much a one-shot; people go and see it at the theaters for a couple of weeks and then they forget about that, and then whatever comes out later is a more definitive version.

I told Frank [Miller], let's do three stories. I know it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but we'll cram three stories together. We'll shoot the full books, but in editing I'll just figure out what stuff we need to cut to make it flow as a feature for the theatrical release so people can sit there and in under two hours see sort of a resemblance what the movie is. But when it goes to DVD, we can do a special edition where the second disc can have the stories separated out in the full cuts so that you can see it the way you would read the books. You just watch "The Yellow Bastard," the full cut, or see "The Big Fat Kill," and that's the way you're supposed to read the books.

You're not supposed to read three really quick, so that's going to be cool. So we shot the full books and all of the voiceover knowing that we could put it together as single episodes, and that eventually if we did part two and part three we'd end up having the discs that had all of the stories separated, and you could put them in any order you want.

IGN: Knowing that there will eventually be multiple versions of a film released on DVD, how do you make sure that your audience is satisfied with each of those iterations?
Rodriguez: Well, usually I just put out one. With this one, they are already putting out one that comes out [August 16] that is just bare bones. I had not put anything extra on that, because I didn't have time to finish my DVD extras. They will put that out four months later because of piracy and stuff like that, and they actually don't put anything on there so that they know, 'well, this isn't the real DVD.'

The real DVD should come out fairly quick, [and] it's the one that will be obviously the double-disc set with all of the goodies on it. I mean, it has all kinds of stuff on there - I have a 20-minute Film School, a new Cooking School, Sin City Breakfast Tacos, and my favorite feature: when people watch DVDs, they complain 'oh, the only thing about home entertainment is you miss that audience experience.' Well, the best audience is in Austin, especially for a movie that was made there. We showed the premiere with the actors there in a 1500-seat theater, and they would go crazy and Sin City got a big reaction. I recorded the audience in 5.1 so if you're watching the DVD and you want to see it with an Austin audience on premiere night, you just click a button and they're all there going 'aaaah!' so it's really cool.

Quentin, when he was directing his sequence, he just let the tape roll when we were shooting, and the sequence taped for an hour, so there are some 20-minute uninterrupted takes. You see him wander in front of the camera and talk to the actors, and [he's] directing and you hear the whole sound of the set. It's like you're sitting right there on the set seeing the movie being shot from the point of view of the camera that's shooting the movie, uninterrupted, and it's really cool. You feel like you're right there, and you get to see what it's like to work with Quentin and the actors and how the movie actually gets made. [And] he will do a commentary on his section.

Offline sheilamay

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 22, 2005 at 02:04 AM »
Bestbuy has a bonus Sin City Comic
Circuit City has a bonus Lithograph
My Friendster/Yahoo Messenger is [email protected]

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 02:26 AM »
from Ultimatedisney

August 21, 2005 - Lindsay Mayer has reviewed Sin City, Dimension Films' unique and highly-acclaimed adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic novel series. "Graphic" should be emphasized, for this "dark, twisted, and violent" production certainly lacks the family-friendliness of most DVDs reviewed around here. Though the nearly-barren disc is a tease for supplement-happy collectors (who are already drooling at talk of a forthcoming special edition), the movie earns an enthusiastic recommendation for those of appropriate viewing age and not averse to stylized violence. The critic labels Sin City an unexpected surprise among contemporary film, one which deserves any attention it can get for its "unique, unusual, and stellar methods of storytelling."

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #34 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 08:41 AM »
Confirming reports in earlier posts, DVDAnswers has further details on the Sin City: Recut & Extended DVD due on December 13:

Dimension has provided us with the first details on Sin City: Recut & Extended which stars Bruce Willis, Clive Owen and Jessica Alba.  This new cut of the movie will be available to own from the 13th December, and priced at around $39.99.  The set will include both the 124 minute theatrical release, along with the 147 minute extended cut.  Both will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks.  Extras will include a commentary with director Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, a second commentary with Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino and a third commentary containing Austin Premiere crowd reaction!  Also included will be a 15 minute film school with the director, a Movie in High-Speed Green Screen feature, 17 uninterupted minutes of Tarantino's segment, footage of a Sin City cast/crew party, and a 10 minute cooking school with Robert Rodriquez.  Completing the package will be four featurettes on the cars, special effects make-up, costumes and props, a featurette on how they convinced Miller to assist with the film, another featurette on casting, a featurette on Tarantino the guest director, trailers, bloopers, and an interactive game. Topping it all off will be a complete Sin City graphic novel (The Hard Goodbye), worth around $17.

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=7667

« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2005 at 02:34 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline arbitrary

• Collector
  • i lurk a lot.
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 04:59 PM »
Oh that sounds awesome.

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 11, 2005 at 01:45 PM »
another double dipping for me...
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #37 on: Sep 13, 2005 at 12:10 PM »
Been waiting for this for quite sometime. Will definitely get this one. ;)
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 13, 2005 at 01:40 PM »
Yes! Finally! I really loved the movie, but was holding out on the DVD because it's bare bones. Will definitely get this one!

Online jas

• Trade Count: (+433)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1259
« Reply #39 on: Sep 16, 2005 at 10:50 PM »
from DVD Times:

Sin City Recut & Extended (R1) in December - Specs updated 
Buena Vista Home Entertainment have revealed early specs for the Region 1 DVD release of Sin City Recut & Extended due to arrive 13th December 2005. The much vaunted special edition DVD release of Frank Miller's Sin City will arrive in December as a two-disc set housed in premium packaging, boasting the complete and expanded unrated version of the film with never-before-seen footage integrated directly into the feature by director Robert Rodriguez, plus the the complete first issue of Frank Miller’s Sin City graphic novel. Retail is $39.99 SRP.

Robert Rodriguez and original graphic novelist Frank Miller direct this thrilling piece of cinema that boasts the following features in this Premium Special Edition...

Disc One:
Original Feature Film Presentation

Feature Commentary with Robert Rodriguez & Frank Miller
Feature Commentary with Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino
Feature Commentary of Austin Premiere Audience Reaction

Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes:
     A Hard Top With A Decent Engine: The Cars of Sin City
     Making the Monsters: Special Effects & Make-Up
     Trench Coats and Fishnets: The Costumes of Sin City
     Booze, Broads & Guns: The Props of Sin City
     How It Went Down: Convincing Frank Miller to Make The Film
     Giving The Characters Life: Casting the Film
     Special Guest Director, Quentin Tarantino

Sin-Chroni-City Interactive: As the viewer watches Sin City, it becomes apparent that the characters and their stories are not isolated, but intertwined. It is also revealed that the timelines for these stories are not in synch—and yet not entirely independent. This interactive feature allows the user to get a timeline view of the happenings of Sin City. The user can see the overview schematic of the scenes in chronological order and then zoom in for more detail on any of the events.

Teaser and Theatrical Trailers

Disc Two:
Sin City Recut Extended Unrated Feature Film Presentation (with 23 added minutes)
Full-length expanded cuts of each individual episode (“Customer Is Always Right,” “The Hard Goodbye,” “Big Fat Kill” and “That Yellow Bastard”) split out into short films – each with their own title cards and in their own complete form; viewers can watch separately and in any order desired.

15 Minute Flick School – Showing how everything was done, including the development of the look of the movie before there was financing, plus early screen tests, rehearsal tapes, final effects. Narrated and cut by Robert Rodriguez.

All Green Version – A high speed look at the entire movie with only its green screen elements.

The Long Take – A full uninterrupted 17 minute take during the filming of Quentin's segment.
Audience gets to see what it's like to sit in the middle of a whirlwind of creativity while the camera is rolling. They never call cut, so everyone is concentrating, working, experimenting and being creative for 17 minutes straight. Very interesting to watch, and hear everyone brainstorming and improvising. Clive, Nicotero, Rodriguez, Tarantino, and Del Toro, Stevie J, all doing their thing at one point or another.

Sin City: Live in Concert – Sin City filmmakers, cast and crew head over to Antone’s restaurant one night after shooting “That Yellow Bastard” so Bruce Willis' and Robert's band Chingon could play a benefit show. Shows the full version of Bruce and his band playing the song "Devil Woman" and Rodriguez and his band playing the “Theme from Sin City.”

10 Minute Cooking School: Sin City Breakfast Tacos – Rodriguez’s meal of choice during the lnog night hours of making Sin City. Shows how to make Rodriguez’s grandma’s secret homemade flour tortilla recipe as well.

Presented in Anamorphic Widescreen with optional English subtitles, the Original Theatrical Cut will feature both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Surround audio, while the Recut version will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 only.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 29, 2005 at 06:28 PM »
Cover Art of Extended Cut:

8)

Offline czedryk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VICI
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 30, 2005 at 03:46 PM »
Now this is something worth waiting... ;D

Offline seph1018

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 30, 2005 at 04:17 PM »
SOLD! ;D will definitely get 2 copies of this. ;D

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #43 on: Oct 01, 2005 at 12:36 PM »
Box Art of the REcut-Extended-Unrated Edition of Sin City:

Offline alcobobaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Oct 01, 2005 at 11:47 PM »
oh holey moley cant wait for this one.

Offline Grandpoobah

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 03:55 PM »
Crud, I already have this version of the Hard Goodbye. I wish they just included the movie artbook instead.

Offline seph1018

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jan 16, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
Just got my copy of this...really worth the price I paid for. Even got myself another copy. ;D Deserving of its inclusion in the Best DVD Releases of 2005. The Recut versions of the movie are a nice touch and the commentary with the Austin audience was great...watched the film in that mode. PQ and AQ are great...highly recommended!!! ;D

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2006 at 06:13 PM »
Agree 100%.  It was fun to watch the movie again on a per episode basis, complete with the additional scenes.  Although I don't think much was added to The Big Fat Kill.  The Sin-Chroni-City feature was groundbreaking, just like the movie.  8)

BTW, does this have an easter egg?  Can't seem to find any.
We deserve better.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jan 16, 2006 at 08:03 PM »
HK is coming out with 3-discs edition. ordered the R1 instead..

8)

Offline seph1018

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 17, 2006 at 12:10 PM »
BTW, does this have an easter egg? Can't seem to find any.

Haven't checked yet...will find one. I'll post them na lang here. ;)

HK is coming out with 3-discs edition. ordered the R1 instead..

8)

Saw this one too sir redge. They just separated the re-edited versions to Disc1 and put all Special Features into Disc 3. Nothing special... ;)

Offline talisman30

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Experience Results
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 12:53 PM »
i'm getting my copy today! really can't wait for it and thanks a lot to dvdhunter for the special arrangement. One of the best DVDs release of last year! ;)
subscribe us at our pre-launch: www.streakdeals.com.ph
like us on facebook: streakdeals.com.ph

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 09:29 PM »
can anyone post a pic of the actual disc? jsut curious on what it looks like, :)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 10:44 PM »
my copy has not arrived yet... to those who have received their copy, please post.

salamat!!

8)

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 10:55 PM »

click image to enlarge. image from amazon
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2006 at 10:59 PM by baby »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 11:12 PM »
cool!

thanks baby!

8)

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 18, 2006 at 11:31 PM »
wow, ganda pla nung disc...

mag ipon na cause this title is a must have.  :)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #56 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 09:03 AM »
Yeah nice baby.... with 23 added minutes! :)
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2006 at 09:07 AM by pchin »

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 09:10 AM »
You betcha! The cardboard case is a little thin but overall, the packaging is cool. The recut versions are cool to watch. 8). Miho Rocks!

Offline seph1018

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 11:54 AM »
You betcha! The cardboard case is a little thin but overall, the packaging is cool. The recut versions are cool to watch. 8). Miho Rocks!

Yup, case is a little thin...but packaging is very cool. Deadly Little Miho!!!! ;D Even Frank Miller can't talk enough about her...Devon Aoki rocks!!! ;D

BTW, no reported Easter Eggs yet...will post as soon some are posted. Only the single disc release have reported Easter Eggs...but some have reported that they don't work.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
definitely one of the best comic flicks around.  yun nga lang it might not go well with everybody but i suggest you give it a try and it will grow on you.  what is your favorite installment?  mine happens to be the big fat kill.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006 at 11:00 AM by Mr. Hankey »