Author Topic: The Wowowee Tragedy at Ultra: Your thoughts on the incident  (Read 14493 times)

Offline Excalibur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • And now I wait without withering...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
This is sad.

Whether kapamilya or kapuso,
I believe nobody wanted this to happen.  :(
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2006 at 11:31 AM by Excalibur »

Offline budgijie

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Wowowee Tragedy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2006 at 12:33 PM »
 :(

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2006 at 01:19 PM »
 ???
Care to share some info as to what happened? Thanks.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2006 at 02:01 PM »
79 pople persihed, let us pray for the repose of their soul. :'(
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Pillow

• DVD Addict
  • Unstoppable!
  • Liked:

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2006 at 06:05 PM »
Sad news for those people who perished due to stampede just to get inside the ULTRA. May their souls rest in peace.

:(

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 02:14 PM »
Yesterday, as I was watching Willie Revillame's tearful apology to the obviously dense crowd at the ULTRA, I was hoping that someone was taping it and would post it on YouTube. Somebody did, and it may be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Wowowee?v=gmG87OUl1sA&search=wowowee

Unbelievable.

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • dont drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 02:37 PM »
Yesterday, as I was watching Willie Revillame's tearful apology to the obviously dense crowd at the ULTRA, I was hoping that someone was taping it and would post it on YouTube. Somebody did, and it may be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/w/Wowowee?v=gmG87OUl1sA&search=wowowee

Unbelievable.

sir pano ko to mapapanood ...ayaw mag play!!
from the antigravity defying force of an immortal jedi

Offline everythingyouwant

• Collector
  • You can have everything you want....
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 03:27 PM »
there is a thing called criminal negligence because of lack of skill,foresight.

there is also command responsibility and i don't believe in the crap called nobody wanted this to happen because they or any normal person with good intentions would have anticipated and made some contingencies before anything happens.it was an accident waiting to happen and it did.in law,the question is,there is criminal negligence if it can be prevented,no actions were taken.

i will also add to this the usual "power-tripping" of security guards and production assistants of tv networks,they have blood on their hands.no rationalizing will ever explain the fact that 73-79 poor filipinos dreams were crushed.as in literally crushed.mga middle-aged woman pa naman karamihan.

i cry justice for these poor fellows,but ithe story would be that given their respective family's situation,its a given that magiging utang na loob pa nila sa abs-cbn na mabayaran sila.it is their right ot ask for compensation and asan na ang mga rally ng rally na mga komunista and politicians/lawyers,eto na ang pagkakataong tunay na makatulong para makapagsampa ng class suit and to ask for other indemnities!

Offline viperkid

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 05:13 PM »
I've seen these kinds of security and I think that they were power-trippin' again like they how own the craping place, acting like ass-holes instead of being nice like saying "Pakiramay lang po" thay are always saying "ALIS DIYAN!!!" or other crap. I wish the victims well and hope for the best.

Offline everythingyouwant

• Collector
  • You can have everything you want....
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 05:17 PM »
kahapon pa ko nakatutok(sa ABS-CBN)all day long and now sa "d buzz",isa lang ang masasabi ko,HUSTISYA!no amount of monetary help can compensate for lives lost! :'(

also,parang napaka arrogant nina Julius Babao and Karen Davila kahapon(more kay Babao) :(
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2006 at 05:20 PM by everythingyouwant »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 06:07 PM »
there is also command responsibility and i don't believe in the crap called nobody wanted this to happen because they or any normal person with good intentions would have anticipated and made some contingencies before anything happens.it was an accident waiting to happen and it did.in law,the question is,there is criminal negligence if it can be prevented,no actions were taken.

Amen to that.  I agree 100% with Richard Gordon when he said: "If you predict that there's going to be a huge crowd, you should be ready with ambulances and communications. You should plan for the worst. We have a lot of people who wanted to help but could not get in immediately."

ABS-CBN is lucky that we're not litigious society like the U.S. If anything like this happened in the U.S., the entire thing will cost them hundreds of millions of dollars.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 06:44 PM »
maybe an example should be made out of them.  lagi na lang ganyan.   they should not get away with this.  pag nakalimutan ng tao wala na naman yan.  lusot na naman sila.  they should take resonsibility for their action and no amount of excuses will let them off the hook.  all of these people  involved in that undertaking are culpable for what happened.  they should be held liable. >:(
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2006 at 06:47 PM by d45nu65+3R »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 07:32 PM »

sir pano ko to mapapanood ...ayaw mag play!!

It's supposed to download automatically and start playing at the same time. Although because of the file size, it takes a while for the downloading to complete. I sometimes press the play button at the lower left hand corner of the screen to pause the video, which does not affect the download. After the download is completed, unpause the video and it should play without interruption.

Offline elvenears

• Collector
  • dont drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 08:46 PM »
It's supposed to download automatically and start playing at the same time. Although because of the file size, it takes a while for the downloading to complete. I sometimes press the play button at the lower left hand corner of the screen to pause the video, which does not affect the download. After the download is completed, unpause the video and it should play without interruption.

thanks sir!!nakuha ko na....i think willie is serious but apology does not mean that your off the hook :(.......i agree with everyone here in regards to justice for these people.....and conviction to that F**KNG ID*OT security head!!! >:(
from the antigravity defying force of an immortal jedi

Offline Excalibur

• Collector
  • And now I wait without withering...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2006 at 11:14 PM »
there is a thing called criminal negligence because of lack of skill,foresight.

i agree that negligence and lack of foresight seemed evident.
but you also have to imagine that abs (nor anybody) never wanted people to die.
people dying maybe the result of negligence or lack of foresight,
but they are not the same thing. the cause is not the effect.

i agree with you with the showing of command responsibility 100%.
it's the right thing to do for abs.

i will also add to this the usual "power-tripping" of security guards and production assistants of tv networks,they have blood on their hands.no rationalizing will ever explain the fact that 73-79 poor filipinos dreams were crushed.as in literally crushed.mga middle-aged woman pa naman karamihan.

yes, no explanation nor rationalization will make up for the deaths of those who were crushed.
we just hope that by investigating, we could learn something from it.
and hope that with the findings, it wouldn't happen again.

as to the behavior of the abs people towards the tragedy...
well, the cameras should speak for itself  ;)

by the way, the head of the abs news department gave a message at the anc
assuring the viewers that they will remain professional and objective.
it's up to us if we will believe her or not :D

i cry justice for these poor fellows,but ithe story would be that given their respective family's situation,its a given that magiging utang na loob pa nila sa abs-cbn na mabayaran sila.it is their right ot ask for compensation and asan na ang mga rally ng rally na mga komunista and politicians/lawyers,eto na ang pagkakataong tunay na makatulong para makapagsampa ng class suit and to ask for other indemnities!

yes, i agree.
let justice be served through the findings from the investigation.
i just hope that the findings would not be tainted with you-know-what...

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2006 at 11:25 PM by Excalibur »

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
The Ultra Stampede
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 01:08 PM »
A general thread for your thoughts on the Ultra stampede, it's underlying causes and rammifications, etc.

(to differ from the Let's pray for ULTRA stampede victims... thread)

Quo vadis?

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
Re: The Ultra Stampede
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 01:13 PM »
I must say, i am most disgusted with ABS-CBN and their overall attitude in handling the crisis. Sure, it's laudable that they have put their charitable arms in full-effect, and are willing to shoulder all expenses of victims, but their corporate ethics and morality, or the lack of it, is already beginning to reek.

First, there's this clown Willie Revillame who tries too hard to cry and exaggerate how devastated he is. he probably wishes he was sacked back when he was reprimanded by the MTRCB so he wouldn't be in the middle of this issue. but that's my personal opinion.

Then there's ABS-CBN's news coverage; simultaneously it's propaganda arm. I just don't get where they, which will most probably be held liable for the incident, draw the balls to exploit the scenes of tragedy for their own gain. ANC cameramen frequently focused on crying victims' families as they identify the bodies of the dead. What i found most disgusting was that ANC even bothered to produce a music video montage of the tragedy!!! They spliced images of the dead and wounded with scenes of how the corporation is helping out. It was set to inspiring music, no more than 12 hours after the incident!!! i could not help but perceive that they were already trying to contain the fallout from their viewers at that early stage.

Another disgusting episode occured inside the Ultra, when revillame et al were delivering their speeches. It was bad enough that the audience had the nerve to clap and cheer, even chant "Wowowee! Wowowee!" repeatedly, in the midst of this kind of crisis. What's worse is that the stagehands were EGGING THEM TO CLAP ON! 'twas as if the show was still on. For goodness' sake, i think if the show's production had an applause light-up sign in the venue, i think they would have used it to no end. Noli de Castro was already trying to hush the crowd but to no avail. In the end, revillame and santos-concio even waved to the crowd like it was some popularity contest! how vile.

Sadly, for this particular crisis, the sympathy i extend to the audience en masse is only out of pity. It was one thing to put your hopes and dreams on a game show. Holier than thou attitude aside, I can never empathize with the majority who escaped the stampede unscathed, couldn't care less about the dead and were still hoping that the show would go on.

It was just blood-curdling to see the bystanders linger around outside and smile and wave madly when the camera panned toward them, even if they were right beside the dead bodies. It was also chilling to hear the show's production manager testify that when she exited the venue, people, who were tip-toeing their way across the sea of dead bodies, had only one question... "Saan ba makakakuha ng ticket?"

I agree that this is a wake-up call to the government, as well as to the rest of us Filipinos, rich and poor. But to say that this is a call to address our country's poverty is rather short-sighted. I believe this is a call to address the moral crisis, as the CBCP put it, in society today; for this not only destroys the body, it corrupts the soul as well.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2006 at 01:20 PM by wrAth »
Quo vadis?

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 02:24 PM »
i saw their episodes this weekend and got so disgusted to hear their propaganda! tsk tsk  >:(
- they had a video of the tragedy w/ music as wrath mentioned.  every live show seen had the "kapamilya" tag line blah blah my goodness!
- mr. revillame trying to cry on every live show, pati na yung 3 co hosts nyang tsix!!!
- there was a televised mass yesterday showing who's who from that chanel (kunwari everyone's mourning).  i've got nothing against it but the intention to show it in public could have been scrapped!

haay naku!   >:( 8)
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline Blu-Ray

• Trade Count: (+163)
  • DVD Addict
  • More titles coming
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 02:31 PM »
Stampede is definitely a result of war of two channels (ABS-CBN2 and GMA7) and Filipino's lack of discipline!!! Wag isisi sa iisang company lang!!!:(
More titles coming soon...

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 02:48 PM »
i saw their episodes this weekend and got so disgusted to hear their propaganda! tsk tsk  >:(
- they had a video of the tragedy w/ music as wrath mentioned.  every live show seen had the "kapamilya" tag line blah blah my goodness!
- mr. revillame trying to cry on every live show, pati na yung 3 co hosts nyang tsix!!!
- there was a televised mass yesterday showing who's who from that chanel (kunwari everyone's mourning).  i've got nothing against it but the intention to show it in public could have been scrapped!

haay naku!   >:( 8)

I can almost see now the families of those who died in the stampede being given cheques in an episode of Wowowee by ABS-CBN executives and Product Advertisers' representatives!

Gagamitin na naman sila!

Offline ricracer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 03:31 PM »
About the network wars...

GMA-7 was the only other TV station to give full coverage to this incident.   Their reporters really emphasized with their interviews on people disgusted with ABS-CBN.   They showed footages of the corpses, injured people and repeated it again and again and again.  One of their reporters even commented that this incident was one of the worst tragedies in modern Philippine history. GMA-7's intention was obvious, they are trying to give their rival a real shot of bad publicity as long as possible.  To cap all these ironies, they stopped the coverage to air Wowowee's rival show..."Eat Bulaga!".    Vic and Joey reportedly spent a few minutes to pray for the victims, but were not good in hiding their smirks during the course of the show as they felt they have put away the show's biggest threat...Willie and Wowowee. 

Their Saturday night GMA FLASH REPORT was surprisingly long enough to give injustice to the word "flash".  Repeatedly showing footages of the victims and their weeping families, once again focusing on people who were saying that they would never go to that noontime show in their lifetime and victims lashing out on ABS-CBN's irresponsibility.    Even the staff at Jessica Soho's show did a astonishingly fabulous job, possibly with the order of GMA management, as they instantly came up with a segment on the Ultra stampede.  These segments usually take days to produce.   

Certainly, GMA-7's actions were as indigistible like the stories of people who asked for raffle tickets right before stepping on corpses.   Has the rival for network dominance gone this low?   I hope they won't go low as throwing out a party for ensuring their "No. 1 Kapuso" title for years to come.
;)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 03:45 PM »

The issue here is no longer whether or not you are a "kapamilya" or a "kapuso." What ABS-CBN doing, like shouldering all the medical, burial and other incidental expenses, is not i think something that the law required them to do in the first place, but rather a gesture and a showing that somehow the company cares, and seeing them and all their people condole with the affected families is indeed a gesture worthy of appreciation. Never mind if what theyre doing to at least alleviate the predicament of the affected, their faces are shown on TV or their names mentioned on radio and even in newspapers. Whats the problem on that in the first place? The company's business is media ... and many people also wants to know what they are doing, including me of course.

If youre in the place of the company, I am very sure many of us, but not all, would do that too and i know that when we do and act on that, at that stage of emotional level we will not be thinking about ratings or how our popularity would rise above other companies -- di ba?

I agree with what Senator Gordon is saying, nobody wants and nobody in this world has always been ready to cope disaster. just my thoughts.

Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 03:49 PM »
OT: I think there are 3 threads already on this topic... can the Mod combine all three?

TIA

Offline ricracer

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 03:58 PM »
OT: I think there are 3 threads already on this topic... can the Mod combine all three?

I agree. 

But the other thread said "Let's pray for the ULTRA stampede victims"....hindi yata marunong magdasal yung mga nagpost ng comments and opinions doon.  ??? ??? ???
;)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 04:09 PM »
I forgot to tell -- my officemate's mother was one of those in that incident. Luckily she was able to extricate herself away from that rushing crowd, seconds before the gate collapsed. She also fell but luckily a man picked her up. She only suffered minor injuries.

She said that they heard from the crowd mentioned "me bomba yata," then somebody also shouted, "me bomba daw" that contributed so much to the confusion and the rush of people towards the gate area.

According to my office mate, her mother never had the feeling to blame anyone.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline diamond

• Collector
  • Radix Lecti (Couch Potato)
  • Liked:
WOWOWEE! Entertaining ourselves to death. What's ur thought?
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 07:01 PM »
The tragic fate of 74 fans of Wowowee who died at the gates of ULTRA opens a lot of windows for talk. Have we been -- as sociologist Neil Postman said -- Entertaining ourselves to death?

Is it OK to lure the poor with prizes and millions of pesos for the sake of TV ratings?

Is ABS-CBN ultimately liable? Or are the poor fans to be blamed for being undisciplined?

Please share your thoughts on the matter.
[/b][/size] :'(
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2006 at 07:06 PM by diamond »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: The Wowowee Tragedy at Ultra: Your thoughts on the incident
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 08:30 PM »
Both Abs-Cbn & Ultra are liable for this tragedy. The organizers should have given the tickets advance in anticipation for this big event. This is SOP during Student Canteen days and other tv shows wherein a big crowd is expected to arrive.

The people who troop there, you can't exactly blame them. They just want to win and be entertained. I just went to Cinema One's office this morning and the ambience at Abs was so gloomy and sad.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2006 at 08:35 PM by keating »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 10:16 PM »
I do not doubt that the people at ABS sincerely regret the incident, and desire to offer as much assistance as possible to help the bereaved and injured. At the same time, I am certain that their altrustic acts are also guided by the concern that if the bereaved and injured sue, they may stand to lose hundreds of millions of pesos, as well as further damage to their corporate goodwill. One cannot blame ABS for going into damage control mode. At the same time, one cannot coerce the victims in suing ABS if they feel appeased by the network's treatment of them after the incident.

As to criminal liability, I'll be surprised if culpability extends beyond the head of ABS security and his underlings. At most perhaps, the executive directly supervising Wowowee. One cannot also discount the political color involved. While it seems, based on press tsimis, that this administration is out to get the Lopezes, it also happens that the Vice-President's wife is still with ABS, and has a hand either with Wowowee or Willie Revillame's career.

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 10:57 PM »
It is regretable that something like this happened but as this is the Philippines it should not be that surprising. What ABS-CBN has been doing for the past few days is trying to minimize their legal liabilities and negative impact on their image. ABS-CBN's insurance will probably be used in part to finance the medical & funeral bills they are required to cover by law. Some may see this as gross exploitation but the various TV specials on this stamped is ABS-CBN's way of showing their sadness of the event after all they're an entertainment company. Some victims & their families wont accept the initial offer and may hold out for a better one to come around or even try to sue ABS-CBN for more. I hope litigation against ABS-CBN will be such that it will serve as a big enough deterent to organizers of big events to make them take health and safety of their audience a top priority no matter the condition.

In the govt side I hope they will not merely sweep this under the rug and try to forget about this. I hope there will be opportunistic legistlators who will draft laws that will take crowd safety more seriously. So far the laws concerning the public's safety in large events is inadequate to say the least.

For the many poor families who went to watch Wowowee this may be the only way they can get themselves out of poverty. This may sound a bit too materialistic but look at how the crowd reacted in spite of the tragedy when the camera focused on them. Either they dont care or dont know.