Author Topic: NAD CD Player  (Read 109961 times)

Offline dr. jekyll

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:NAD CD Player
« Reply #90 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 06:11 PM »
Pre, kumuha ka na ba?  :)

yup.  the 521bee.  ;)

may rerekomenda ka sana?  ;D

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 07:24 PM »
yup.  the 521bee.  ;)

may rerekomenda ka sana?  ;D

he he he - dami ko na sinabi ah  ???

isa na namang naimpluwensiyahan... bwa ha ha ha  ;D
money is best spent

Offline kimpao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 07:26 PM »
iceman sent u pm

Offline dr. jekyll

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 07:41 PM »
he he he - dami ko na sinabi ah  ???

isa na namang naimpluwensiyahan... bwa ha ha ha  ;D

hehe. di ko kayang mag peanut butter sandwich diet eh.  ;D

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 07:44 PM »
hehe. di ko kayang mag peanut butter sandwich diet eh.  ;D

he he he -ma OT tayo nyan, post ka na lang ng review ng 521bee  :D
money is best spent

Offline dr. jekyll

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Mar 25, 2004 at 07:49 PM »
he he he -ma OT tayo nyan, post ka na lang ng review ng 521bee  :D

compared to what? yung dating kung dvd player?  ??? it's definitely a vast improvement, but i suppose it's an unfair comparison.

saka na, pag nakahanap ako ng matching amp.  OT, may listahan ka ulit? hehe.

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Mar 26, 2004 at 05:01 PM »
just got back from manila and got me a nad502 from orland. nice meeting u pre. finally got me a decent cd player. wanted to try out the 521bee kaso didnt have time to pass by spectra.

hopefully next time i go back there, baka maka join na ako sa listening session ng kwela boys  ;D ;D

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #97 on: Mar 26, 2004 at 10:03 PM »
just got back from manila and got me a nad502 from orland. nice meeting u pre. finally got me a decent cd player. wanted to try out the 521bee kaso didnt have time to pass by spectra.

hopefully next time i go back there, baka maka join na ako sa listening session ng kwela boys  ;D ;D

congrats on your new toy bro. hans used to have the same model and to me it sounded very good :D  next time let us know by pm as to when you are coming to town, malay mo-we can have a biglaan listening session ;D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 11:22 AM »

alright! naka hanap ka na finally, di ka magsisisi dyan maganda yang cd player at maayos gumamit si Orland  :)

small world talaga..
money is best spent

Offline audi

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #99 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 12:24 PM »
tnx for the compliment sir vinz. :)btw,congrats sa bago mong inaalagaan.

Offline cousin skeeter

• DVD Addict
  • "Eureka!!!!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 12:57 PM »
narayan and iceman,

thanks bros. dont wori, next time ill inform you in advance if im coming. biglaan ksi ang decision ng office ko for me to go there but ill be in manila often now and might have a chance to join you guys next time.

anyway, now that ive a dedicated cd player, my suspicion that my weakest link was my source was all too true. three things i noticed with playing cds from a dvd players was this:

1) very thin sound, the music sounded strained
2) grainy quality of music
3) poor mids and almost non existent bass. to get bass you have to jack up bass controls.

am happy to say that the nad502 was able to address these three problems. when i used to listen to music on my dvd player, it seemed like am listening from the back portion of the auditorium, like the music cant impress on me somehow. now i feel like am somewhere up front. you can feel the instruments right in front of you. the graininess has dissapeared, the mids fuller, the bass deeper. even when the volume is pumped up real high (-10db on my hk) the music is not fatiguing which is very much unlike my dvd player. now i can reaaally appreciate my b2s bass. ganda pala nila. havent heard them like this before.    ;D ;D ;D

but even then, i can still see room for improvement. the music needs more detail and more separation between the instruments. but right now, am very happy with it. am just wondering how the nad542 sounds like.

for those who are still playing music from their dvd players, my advise for you is to get a decent cd player. if you can afford one, get an excellent cd player (inggit ako kay iceman). for me, it was what i was looking for all along. by the end of this year or next year, will try to upgrade to the best source i can afford. hopefully the nad542 will be cheaper by then.  ::) ::) ::)

p.s.
i left home for the office 10am today. was enjoying so much listening to my yanni cds again that i forgot the time.  good thing my boss is on travel. ;D ;D ;D

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 01:12 PM »
p.s.
i left home for the office 10am today. was enjoying so much listening to my yanni cds again that i forgot the time.  good thing my boss is on travel. ;D ;D ;D

that is known as the "last CD syndrome" where you have to leave, sleep, etc. but you reach for your cd player to play a new one while murmuring..'last cd tapos tama na muna...'

;D
money is best spent

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 02:33 PM »
cousin skeeter,

Pre congrats sa toys mo gandang cd player yan sir... btw pwede pa improve imaging and depth thru IC pm mo si kimpao on DIY ic.. ganda yun gawa nya..

Offline Happy Dads Vinyl Shop

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • vinyls are forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 03:39 PM »
that is known as the "last CD syndrome" where you have to leave, sleep, etc. but you reach for your cd player to play a new one while murmuring..'last cd tapos tama na muna...'

;D

very true! :) ask my boss about it...hehe

Offline Garp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 11:23 AM »
Would anybody who owns a NAD 521i willing to open up their unit and look at the PCB board? I suspect that the only major difference between the 521i abnd 521bee is that the latter's opamps have been biased into class A via a resistor--I know because I've seen the 521bee. I just wonder if the newer version merits the the P3.5K premium over the 521i. They seem to share every other feature: same 5532 opamps, generic caps, separate regulator for analog and digital.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 11:45 AM »
May I know the local SRP for a NAD cd player with HDCD decoding feature?  Is it at par with ROTEL Cd players all of which comes standard with HDCD ability?  Thanks.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 11:57 AM »
NAD 742: ~20K
Rotel (forgot the model): 24 ~ 25K available at Sound Dimension

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 12:11 PM »
NAD 742: ~20K
Rotel (forgot the model): 24 ~ 25K available at Sound Dimension

Thanks Philander.  That must be the RCD-02, right?  (I think the other model, RCD-1072? goes for 32T.)

Interesting.  At that price level, for a 5K difference, shouldn't I opt for a ROTEL?  What could be a compelling factor to go NAD, price aside?
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2004 at 12:14 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 12:18 PM »
Thanks Philander.  That must be the RCD-02, right?  (I think the other model, RCD-1072? goes for 32T.)

Interesting.  At that price level, for a 5K difference, shouldn't I opt for a ROTEL?  What could be a compelling factor to go NAD, price aside?

Comparison:

Rotel:
Burr-Brown DAC
18 bit
HDCD
S/N Ratio: 100db
THD: .0045%
Dynamic Range: 96db
Freq Response: 20Hz to 20KHz
Php 25K

NAD:
Burr-Brown Sigma-Delta
24 bit
HDCD
S/N Ratio: 108db
THD: .0035%
Dynamic Range: 98db
Freq Response: 5Hz to 20KHz
Php 20K

You decide
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2004 at 12:23 PM by Philander »

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 12:21 PM »
for me rotel and nad are at par, it all depends now on ure preference :)

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #110 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 12:23 PM »
nad 742 or 542??

try to audition nad 542 and rcd-02 and compare them.  some buyers opt for a 24 bit hdcd decoding (nads) while others on sonic tastes irregardless of bit decoders (rotels with only 18 bit).

in my opinion, i'll get the rotel if i can afford to shell another 5k for a good reference cd player even if it's 18 bit only hdcd decoder.  ;)

what speakers are you going to use av_phile? looks like your on an upgrading spree based on the threads i've read hehe

good luck dude  :D
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 12:25 PM »
Hmmm... though i'm not a convinced believer in upsampling, a better DAC/filter in general would be compelling alright.    I think a more thorough research is in order.  Thanks again, bro Philander.  BTW, is the NAD faceplate plastic or metal?  

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 12:29 PM »
Hmmm... though i'm not a convinced believer in upsampling, a better DAC/filter in general would be compelling alright.    I think a more thorough research is in order.  Thanks again, bro Philander.  BTW, is the NAD faceplate plastic or metal?  

I haven't touch the faceplate but I think it is plastic. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 12:31 PM »
make sure if you opt for the rcd-02 of rotel you audition it thoroughly, some say the player sounds "muddied" but they say it has something to do with the power supply that came with some of the units shipped here. the ones available now might not have that problem though. Still if my budget is at the 20k range i will go with the nad, if its in the 30k++ range i would go with the rcd-1072  :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 12:52 PM »
nad 742 or 542??

try to audition nad 542 and rcd-02 and compare them.  some buyers opt for a 24 bit hdcd decoding (nads) while others on sonic tastes irregardless of bit decoders (rotels with only 18 bit).

in my opinion, i'll get the rotel if i can afford to shell another 5k for a good reference cd player even if it's 18 bit only hdcd decoder.  ;)

what speakers are you going to use av_phile? looks like your on an upgrading spree based on the threads i've read hehe

good luck dude  :D

You noticed ha.  Just upgraded my amp, sub and DVD players. The speakers will remain MS 914  until i find something better I can afford.  

I also share your preference for rotel.  I go for robust bullet-proof construction that only a Rotel has in this price range. Nothing really comes close in that department.  And, actually I prefer the RCD1072 because it comes in black. ;D  Ang babaw ano?  

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 01:00 PM »
make sure if you opt for the rcd-02 of rotel you audition it thoroughly, some say the player sounds "muddied" but they say it has something to do with the power supply that came with some of the units shipped here. the ones available now might not have that problem though. Still if my budget is at the 20k range i will go with the nad, if its in the 30k++ range i would go with the rcd-1072  :)

Will definitely do a lot of testing before parting with my pesoses.  Thanks for the cautionary warning.  

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #116 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 01:01 PM »
hahaha yep av_phile!  :D the rcd-02 comes also in black but very limited here, you can either wait until the next shipment comes.  some people alter/modify  the power supply and even the power cords of the old rcd-02s. and if i have a 30k, i'll get the 1072 too hehe how i wish
 ;D
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 02:51 PM »
AV-phile,

NAD C542 is being sold for 20K if u don't get a discount while the Rotel RCD-02 is priced at around 22K-23K. If you want to audition the RCD-02, have time to visit WATT HI-FI audio shop located at the lower ground of the Makati Cinema Square. I'm sure Chris or Elmo would be glad to have you.

if you're going to ask me now that i've heard the RCD-02, I'd settle for the NAD C542. read my review and it still stands with few refinements now that I've upgraded some of my gears. the C542 got a leap of improvement when I paired it to a Rotel RA-02 using either Tara Labs Prism 5 or Ixos 1002 interconnects. the imaging simply gets a lot better with each passing day which I suspect was attributable to the "breaking in" of the Nichicon "Muse" capacitors which so far had ran a total of 90 hours of playing pleasant music.

:-*
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2004 at 11:35 PM by audioslave »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 04:21 PM »
Audioslave,

Sayang,  I was there already at MCS last week canvassing for subs. I dropped by Sensible Audio and they had deliveries of new RCD1072 with a hefty price tag above 30T.  Same level ba yung Watt Hi Fi with Sensible?

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 11:38 PM »
AV_phile,

yeap... same level lang sila ng Sensible Audio. just walk a few steps more and you'll find the shop. i think it's fronting a vacant stall.

;)