Author Topic: NAD CD Player  (Read 109732 times)

Offline bumblebee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: NAD CD Player
« Reply #360 on: Mar 14, 2005 at 03:41 PM »
if reviews are to be trusted, the c542 comes very close w/ the arcam cd73t. we're lucky the NADs here are priced much lower relative to their srps (many thanks to studio systems for this) compared to other brands. this is really a good buy, if not the best buy :)

just me :)

Offline taggart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • clean out that earwax for optimum sound exp!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #361 on: Mar 14, 2005 at 11:37 PM »
wow that good huh? :D  isn't the arcam a high end brand already?  i agree with the stellar prices...i'm now glad it's not at the expense of good aftersales support.   

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #362 on: Mar 15, 2005 at 01:58 AM »
nahhhh iba talaga msrp ng nad products sa asia as confirmed by lenbrook singapore... studio systems had nuthin to do with the low price

if reviews are to be trusted, the c542 comes very close w/ the arcam cd73t. we're lucky the NADs here are priced much lower relative to their srps (many thanks to studio systems for this) compared to other brands. this is really a good buy, if not the best buy :)

just me :)
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2005 at 01:59 AM by v0elker »

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: Mar 15, 2005 at 08:39 AM »
nahhhh iba talaga msrp ng nad products sa asia as confirmed by lenbrook singapore... studio systems had nuthin to do with the low price

OT, naisip ko lang, studio systems is an exclusive ditributor right? so they have the control over local prices ???
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2005 at 10:15 AM by bumblebee »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Mar 15, 2005 at 12:00 PM »
Not if the brand's home office has anything to say on it.  They do their market research more thoroughly than a mere distributor.  They wouldn't want their products to be priced out of any market they enter into, just because the local distributor wants to make more profits. 

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: Mar 15, 2005 at 11:04 PM »
Not if the brand's home office has anything to say on it.  They do their market research more thoroughly than a mere distributor.  They wouldn't want their products to be priced out of any market they enter into, just because the local distributor wants to make more profits. 

so this is how it really works?  if so, then credit goes to NAD Int'l instead of the distributors...hmmm.  interesting.  then again, don't the distributors give their own feedbacks to NAD Int'l regarding pricing issues which are factored in by NAD? 

about the cd player...wish NAD would make the power cord detachable in future models.  sabi kasi sakin ng audio friend ko malaki daw difference ang pag-upgrade ng powercord lalo na sa cd player. 

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Mar 16, 2005 at 07:16 AM »
about the cd player...wish NAD would make the power cord detachable in future models.  sabi kasi sakin ng audio friend ko malaki daw difference ang pag-upgrade ng powercord lalo na sa cd player. 

nagulat ako sa presyo! mayroong mas mahal pa sa cd player >:(

Offline Audionuts

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: Mar 16, 2005 at 10:44 AM »
That's why i bought Rotel 1072 for his detachable powercord makes huge difference by a factor of 2.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: Mar 16, 2005 at 10:52 AM »
Detachable power chords are common among the newer models these days, from players to receivers to amps, especially their midprice to flagships.  Such a feature even merits being mentioned in their advertising product brochures.  Most of my components have detachable power chords and I can attest to the great convenience  such a feature does in setting them up. 
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2005 at 10:52 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Mar 16, 2005 at 11:09 AM »
nagulat ako sa presyo! mayroong mas mahal pa sa cd player >:(

Out of Topic.  But let's just say there are plenty of debates raging on in a number of audio forums about the beneifts of those expensive power chords.  Personally, I just use the best constructed and appropriate gauge I can get especially for power amps which can extract so much current from the house mains.  Just bear in mind about the system being a chain.  And it is as good as the weakest link.  Power chords are no different - from the Meralco meter or as far as the street post to your gears.  I don't see how expensive power chords would make any difference at the last segment to your gears, when the rest of the house electrical wiring uses ordinary 10-12 gauge solid core copper wire to get to the Meralco meter.   Many audio pundits make this issue another laughable snakeoil that shows the ingenuous savy of audio cable companies for taking advantage of rich but unwary and eager-beaver audiophiles.  ;D 

Offline mYKi

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: Mar 16, 2005 at 12:41 PM »

When I was about to buy my 2nd C542, I was contemplating about the CD73T. I then communicated with a fellow PinoyDVD through PM to ask his opinion. This was his response:

"I honestly like also the C542. I have heard it perform on SS and Tube amps, and on both occasions it was amazing.

Naging daring lang ako kaya ako kumuha ng CD73T, hehehe. Gusto ko kasi makarining din ng Arcam.

So far assessment ko, mas sweeter and vocals ng C542, instrument wise both CD73T and C542 have very good details. Mas lamang lang nga sa pagka laidback and Arcam, ang layo talaga from behind. And probably the effect of this is that mas lumlaki yung impression ng soundstage. Mas heavier ang bass ng C542, mas tighter naman ang sa CD73T. "

But since I had a growing collection of HDCDs, I decided to go C542.

Myki

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Apr 13, 2005 at 07:45 PM »
Guys! I just got my P4,500 refund for my NAD player yesterday. Thank you very much for agreeing with me that we customers deserve to be treated like one.

HOWEVER, when I got my refund from Sights and Sounds Shangri-La, I was greeted with the WORST part of this very sad incident.... I posted it at:

http://pinoydvd.com/content/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&expv=0&?topic=1821.360

Please be warned.

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #372 on: Apr 14, 2005 at 07:15 AM »
Congratulations bro for getting your new replacement player and your refund. thank you also for the warning, sama naman attitude nung owner na yon,he just lost one more good customer in me. >:(

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Apr 14, 2005 at 11:18 AM »
Same thoughts aired in the other thread.

Sayang,  because of this incident, the store will just enjoy my window-shopping, not my pesoses.   ;D

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: Apr 14, 2005 at 11:22 AM »
and auditioning then buy some place else ;D sorry mods, can't help it.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2005 at 11:23 AM by bumblebee »

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Apr 15, 2005 at 10:12 PM »
hey myki good to hear you got your money back.  thanks din for warning us.

Offline zap|JDM

• Collector
  • nOOb
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: Apr 15, 2005 at 11:39 PM »
even with the "recent" issue with the NAD retailer, I still got a C542 a  while ago,  :)  im still enjoying my music...hehee ;D

my cdp's on my to buy list were:
cambridge 340c
nad c521bee

the HDCD capability(and my hdcd softwares) of the c542 made a big factor.
www.jdmunderground.ph
Mickey's Autosound

Offline mYKi

• Collector
  • Ewan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: Apr 17, 2005 at 09:04 PM »
That's great zap! Welcome to the NAD lovers club!

Could you send me a PM on your HDCD softwares which you feel are must buys. I'm thinking of expanding my HDCD collection. Thanks and congrats!

even with the "recent" issue with the NAD retailer, I still got a C542 a  while ago,  :)  im still enjoying my music...hehee ;D

my cdp's on my to buy list were:
cambridge 340c
nad c521bee

the HDCD capability(and my hdcd softwares) of the c542 made a big factor.

Offline zap|JDM

• Collector
  • nOOb
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: Apr 17, 2005 at 09:27 PM »
thanks for welcoming me myki.  :)

sent you PM
www.jdmunderground.ph
Mickey's Autosound

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: May 21, 2005 at 05:41 PM »
Good day to All NAD user,

We are developing a data based of all NAD user here in the Philippines and we will appreciate if you are going to participate in this effort.

This databased will be used by us in sending a newsletter which will include
1. Press released and review on NAD product
2. New models that will be introduced
3. Announcement of Promotional activity ( SALE items, 0% interest Craze, etc. )
4. Service discount on Non-warranty products
5. Special Treats and freebies

To particiipate just email us directly at [email protected] or fax it to tele# (632) 893-8011, your reply on the followiing question below:

Personal Data
1. Name
2. Age
3. Gender
3. Address
4. Contact Number

Product Data
1. What is the model of your unit?
2. When did you purchase of NAD"
3. What is the serial number of your unit?
4. How long you been a user of NAD products?
5. What do you like best with NAD?
6. If in case your going to purchased a new equipment, what will be it?
7. In terms of performance of NAD product, what will be your rating for it ? ( 1 is the lowest while 10 is the highest)

Do you have other comments and suggestions that we can considered to increased your listening pleasure?

This is voluntary basis only and again we shall appreciate  your participation on this matter Thanks

Redkoji

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: May 21, 2005 at 06:18 PM »
uy, ok 'to ah. ano kaya yung freebies? ;D

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: May 21, 2005 at 06:37 PM »
Join na lang po kayo...the info will come in upon confirmation of your participation....we hope to get NAD user response on or before June 15 for us to have time to prepare for the Big event this July.... ;D

Offline dr. jekyll

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 07:55 PM »
I hope this is not OT but I brought my defective CD player (NAD 521BEE) to Studio Systems, distributor of NAD products in the Philippines on 29 October 2005.

The unit was accepted and a lady named Sherry promised to call me on Nov. 2, the next working day.

I have provided her with my contact numbers and she was able to reply to me only yesterday, 8 November.

They are charging me P3000 to replace the lens of my CD player, a CD player which, and I this I have to stress, was only used sparingly during its useful life.

I have only been using the CD player for approximately 19 months. It appears these units are inherently defective as I noticed that there were around three other units (of NAD 321BEE) with the same problem.  Sherry even acknowledged that it was a common complaint with this CD player model.

The CD player has refused to play any audio discs and shows a "no disc" display.  The unit was bought from Spectra last March 2004.

I understand that the unit is no longer covered by a warranty.  But I feel that it is only reasonable for a customer to expect that the lens of the cd player should last longer than 19 months.  I may be wrong.

The NAD Customer Service Center, which can be accessed online, has not replied to any of my concerns.  I placed a comment on the NAD guestbook but it was quickly brought down by the webmaster.

Is this a fact of life that we have to face?

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Nov 09, 2005 at 09:45 PM »

I understand that the unit is no longer covered by a warranty.  But I feel that it is only reasonable for a customer to expect that the lens of the cd player should last longer than 19 months.  I may be wrong.

my first legitimate cd player was a 2nd hand NAD 502 that was at least 2 years old, i used it for several months with no problem. far as i know, the new owner still uses it with no issues...

so i guess it's safe to say that lenses - even from NAD should last more than 19 months :)

bad trip lang problema mo - brand new pa naman nabili! >:(
money is best spent

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 08:33 AM »
Was contemplating on buying a descent entry level cd player to serve as an alternative source whenever i don't feel like playing my records.  Going thru the pages of this particular thread makes me want to shy away from this brand.  :( 
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2005 at 08:35 AM by kimpao »

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #385 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 11:18 AM »
kim, try the Harman Kardon entry level CDPs...or maybe a pre-owned Musical Fidelity...entry level price for a high-end CDP, hehehe! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline dr. jekyll

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 05:59 PM »

so i guess it's safe to say that lenses - even from NAD should last more than 19 months :)

bad trip lang problema mo - brand new pa naman nabili! >:(

thanks iceman, i thought so too.  what else should i do?  ???

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #387 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 06:21 PM »
It's a difficult situation whenever the CD lens is the problem. You can bring your CD player to a repair shop maybe it's still possible restore the CD lens (assuming it is still giving light). Baka kasi iyung tracking o focus lang may problema. Tini-trim lang kasi iyun. Kung lens talaga ... tsk ... tsk ... tsk ...

Offline dr. jekyll

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 06:43 PM »
It's a difficult situation whenever the CD lens is the problem. You can bring your CD player to a repair shop maybe it's still possible restore the CD lens (assuming it is still giving light). Baka kasi iyung tracking o focus lang may problema. Tini-trim lang kasi iyun. Kung lens talaga ... tsk ... tsk ... tsk ...

Thanks.  :( Do you know of any alternative repairs shops aside from the authorized distributor?

Offline taggart

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: Nov 10, 2005 at 10:39 PM »
i know one in raon.  it's in an alley near pineda? st.  shop's name is E. Gelito...look for Richard.  they fix A/V equipment and from what i have seen, they do it well and seem trustworthy to me.  if you need to replace parts like the lens, i don't think they have that part though unless you wanna convert it to a dvd player.  :o 

sorry to hear about your problem.  btw any warning signs before it stopped reading cds?  i myself got a NAD C542 for almost a year now and it still plays and sounds great.