Author Topic: Rock Star: Supernova  (Read 10002 times)

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rock Star: Supernova
« on: Feb 13, 2006 at 08:27 AM »
After INXS-Queen?

Feb 12, 2006
Updated 09:39pm (Mla time)
Marinel R. Cruz
Inquirer

ROCK STAR WANNABES IN these parts, who dream of slugging it out in the phenomenal reality TV show "Rock Star," will get that chance when Star World holds Asian auditions in April, said a network executive.

"But our Hong Kong office is still not saying where in Asian country it will be held," said Sasa Tan Carlos, marketing manager of Cable Technology Asia Corp., a member of Star Group Limited.

Last season's "Rock Star," produced by Mark Burnett Productions ("The Apprentice," "Survivor," "The Contender") and aired twice a week on Star World, was a worldwide search for a new lead singer for top '80s band INXS from Australia.

Auditions for the previous season were conducted on six continents, excluding Asia, noted Carlos.

"I think the show's producers were very impressed with the overwhelming interest that the show generated in Asia during the first season," she said.

Early speculation is that the next search will be for a replacement for the late Freddie Mercury, front man of the legendary British rock group, Queen.

"Network executives are tight-lipped," said Carlos. "But they have announced that the new season will carry the same format and run for 26 episodes."

She added that last season's hosts, Brook Burke and Dave Navarro, will be retained.

Carlos also said that, in the event Asian contenders make it to the final round, they will be flown to the United States in May.

"Rock Star" features an elimination format similar to Fox's "American Idol." Judging is based on viewer's SMS votes as well as ratings given by members of the featured band.

The winner will join the band on a worldwide concert tour and collaborate on the group's new album.

Last season's winner is Canadian JD Fortune. The 11-week search ended in September. Fortune is now touring with INXS.

Fortune figured in a three-way fight for the title with American Marty Casey and Fil-Aussie MiG Ayesa.

©2006 www.inq7.net all rights reserved
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006 at 09:42 AM by Mr. Hankey »
Quo vadis?

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
Re: "After INXS - Queen?"
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2006 at 08:33 AM »
"Rockstar - Queen"?

I find this very troubling, at best. Queen, and all their majesty, should be left as is. They're too important a band. INXS is relatively insignificant. Plus, gay ol' Freddie's shoes are too big to fill.

Still, i must admit i am interested in seeing how this will fare if it pushes through.

Maybe they should do a Rockstar-Van Halen.  :o
Quo vadis?

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2006 at 08:41 PM »
"...Auditions for the previous season were conducted on six continents, excluding Asia, noted Carlos"

...six continents excluding Asia? Di ba 7 lang ang continents? So they had auditions in Antarctica becuase they had none in Asia?  ;D

Offline Lennon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Free your mind ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2006 at 05:49 PM »
"Rockstar - Queen"?

I find this very troubling, at best. Queen, and all their majesty, should be left as is. They're too important a band. INXS is relatively insignificant. Plus, gay ol' Freddie's shoes are too big to fill.

Still, i must admit i am interested in seeing how this will fare if it pushes through.

Maybe they should do a Rockstar-Van Halen.  :o

i agree.  Michael Hutchence's achievements in rock music are nothing compared to Freddie Mercury's. besides, Queen has already achieved legendary status in rock history and they're already up there alongside Aerosmith and the like. they've got all the money in the world. i don't think they would ever need this sort of attention.

dapat Rockstar-Guns N' Roses na lang. =)

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2006 at 06:13 PM »
i also felt the late Freddie Mercury is too big to be replaced by a newbie. i doubt if Brian May would allow that. btw, i've read somewhere Queen is now touring with Paul Rogers, that great rocker formerly with Bad Company, taking over Freddie's part in the group. the situation is fluid though.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2006 at 06:19 PM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 02:18 PM »
'Star' sets rockers
Reality skein to birth new band

By JOSEF ADALIAN, Variety

CBS' Rock Star is adding some heavy mettle to its lineup this summer.

Drummer Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), along with guitarists Jason Newsted (Metallica) and Gilby Clarke (Guns N' Roses), are forming a new band called Supernova and will use the Mark Burnett-produced Rock Star to search for a lead singer.

Season one had the surviving members of INXS on the hunt for someone to replace the late Michael Hutchence.

In addition, Rock Star has signed songwriter-performer Butch Walker to produce Supernova's first album, to be released just before the new band hits the road in 2007. Walker, named Rolling Stone's 2005 "hot" producer, has written or produced tracks for Avril Lavigne, Pink, Bowling for Soup and Tommy Lee.

Dave Navarro and Brooke Burke will return as hosts. Each weekly segseg will also now feature guest appearances by celebs or rockers.

"Friends of mine, like Slash, Macy Gray, Moby and Rob Zombie, will join us and throw in their two cents about who should stay and who should go," Navarro said.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline stannum

• Collector
  • Huh? Me, a collector?
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 02:38 PM »
dapat Rockstar-Guns N' Roses na lang. =)

How about Rock Band: Axl Rose;D
Je ne regrette rien.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006 at 09:29 AM »
Star World will air Rock Star: Supernova soon.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Rock Star: Supernova
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006 at 10:49 PM »
well cant wait to see this one as i am a crue fan, a metallica fan and a gnr fan.  kind of curious how this thing will sound like. 

Offline garfield_3199

• Collector
  • Votre vie vraie est celle que vous avez.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006 at 06:16 PM »
Search starts this July.
Dave Navarro and Brooke Burke are still the hosts, plus the 3 bandmembers. Read in the website that each week,  they would invite different rock personalities to help them. There are some unconfirmed talks that they invited Suzy ( the blond female rocker who was able to reach the TOP 4 of the INXS search) to audition and join the search.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2006 at 10:35 PM »
StarWorld Schedule for Philippine viewers:

Premiere: July 6, Thursday, 7:30AM (Live) with an 8:00PM replay
2nd Episode: July 7, Friday, 9:00AM (Live) with a 9:00PM replay

Regular Broadcast Schedule:

Performance Show: Wednesdays, 8:30AM (Live) with an 8:00PM replay (Starts July 12)
Results Show: Thursdays, 8:00AM (LIve) with an 8:00PM replay (Starts July 13)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 10:06 PM »
Why Rock Star is better than American Idol

I found out from this article that Chris Daughtry applied for this show last season and was rejected.  :o

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 07:15 AM »
'Season-four "Idol" rocker Chris Daughtry auditioned for "Rock Star" last summer and was rejected. That's because, while he was great at the one thing he did (growling bleak lyrics while looking like a serial killer), it was the only thing he either could or wanted to do.'

Best description EVER.  ;D

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 02:52 PM »
Maybe I have higher expectations but most of the contestants did not impress me right away.

[spoilers]Only one performance stood out for me: Josh Logan covering The Black Crowes' She Talks to Angels. Although she wasn't as impressive as Jordis in jumpstarting the show with a Who song, I gotta love her name: Storm Large![/spoilers]
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2006 at 02:52 PM by Reuven Malter »

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 03:48 PM »
saw the show this morning and I agree... first show wasn't too impressive... they might get better though as the show progresses... I just have the impression that too many of the contestants seem to have a 'manufactured' rocker image/persona for the contest with most of them too over the top...  ::)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 09:12 PM »
'Season-four "Idol" rocker Chris Daughtry auditioned for "Rock Star" last summer and was rejected. That's because, while he was great at the one thing he did (growling bleak lyrics while looking like a serial killer), it was the only thing he either could or wanted to do.'

Best description EVER.  ;D

they neglected to mention his over-inflated ego? awwww... i'm disappointed. LOL.  :-[

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 09:16 PM »
storm large looks like an older lindsay lohan.  ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2006 at 06:45 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 09:30 PM »
parang bitin.  but is it just me, but i think the girls sound better than the the guys.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 09:50 PM »
Seriously:

Can you guys see Tommy Lee, Jason Newsted and Gilby Clarke choosing a female as the lead vocalist for their band?

I honestly can't see their masculine egos handling that... unless they wanna bang her or something.  ;D

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 10:04 PM »
not in a million years.  wouldn't work with the kind of ego tommy lee has.

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jul 06, 2006 at 11:09 PM »
Seriously:

Can you guys see Tommy Lee, Jason Newsted and Gilby Clarke choosing a female as the lead vocalist for their band?

I honestly can't see their masculine egos handling that... unless they wanna bang her or something.  ;D

With the type of music they'd been playing with their former bands... not likely...

Tommy Lee was already giving the girl who sang that Melissa Ethridge song the 'evil eye'  ;D ;D She's hot

Offline Jermi

• Collector
  • I'm a llamat!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 08:46 AM »
I think Brooke Burke is an excellent cast for the host.  She is relaxed and cool, an outstanding contrast to the screams and anxst of the contestants and sometimes SuperNova band members.

Why is it that Rockers have this compulsive desire to have to act 'bad', I understand the tatoos and body piercings help with the overall 'image' and aura that they want to portray, but even their actions ba dapat?  They have to keep flashing the fork hand, they have to put their feet up on the table or chair like Chinamen and have to generally act like overgrown kids.  Can't they be comfortable with their star status because of just the excellent music that they can churn out?  I'm a fan of the show, but not really of the musical genre, I think the contestants are incredibly talented.

Judging from last season, it is incredibly ironic that for a reality show, these 'rockers' get a long well with each other compared with contestants of other reality shows.  They seem to be gentlemen and women off the stage, like giving way in their song selections, encouraging and supporting each other...

I also agree that they won't pick a girl.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 03:16 PM »
i dunno... that dilana gal seems like she can party like she's one of the guys. LOL.

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 04:51 PM »
and as ive said before, sounds better than the other guys along with storm and patrice(?)...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 09:09 PM »
^ so true... i kinda liked that guy who sang "knockin on heaven's door" tho. pero i see him more as a solo act than fronting a band.  :-\

Offline d4nu65+3R

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 09:20 PM »
the guy who sang she talks to angels, jason(?) sounds good also, though he still has to prove if he can do heavy.  chris, the guy who butchered roxanne certainly looks the rock star part. while the guy that was booted out deserved it.  he was more new wave than rock!!! and his choice of songs certainly did not help any.  duran duran and coldplay?  definitely not in the league of the mighty metallica or crue or gnr.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 10:48 PM »
The last guy who sang? Gunning for JD 2.0? He and Supernova seems MFEO.  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 11:48 PM »
^^

heavy eye make up guy?... whose "rebel yell" drew raves from supernova?? uh, more ego than talent from what i heard... but we'll see.

he scares me tho. LOL.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 12, 2006 at 10:32 AM »
The show was a lot better than last week. A must-see if only for one performance...

[spoilers]Dilana was DA BOMB! It was only the second episode and we already have one of the show's greatest moments. I raved about Josh Logan last week but he disappointed me today with his choice of Creed. He was also showing us that he's more suited for R&B than rock. Rock Star: Maroon 5?  ;D Some rockers tend to become gimmicky like Jill's take on Hole. It's okay as long as their vocals make up for it like Storm's take on Cheap Trick. Lukas was brave to take on Coldplay but I didn't dig the result. Chris (for his flowery shirt), Phil (no stage presence) and Josh should be in the bottom three[/spoilers]
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2006 at 10:33 AM by Reuven Malter »