Author Topic: Rock Star: Supernova  (Read 10003 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Rock Star: Supernova
« Reply #30 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 09:14 PM »
That Lucas guy is bugging me. Can you say rocker poseur? Everything about him just looks so put on.

Dilana on the other hand is freaking awesome. They should just stop the contest now and give the gig to that woman.

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 03:41 PM »
I agree... Lucas is really a poser - the look, the attitude, etc... - if you looked up "poser" in the dictionary, Lucas's picture should be right beside it...  ;D

BTW, has anyone tried Googling "Storm Large?" Try it an you'll find some interesting pics -- not pretty but interesting...  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2006 at 03:42 PM by jeckjeck »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 03:49 PM »
wow. she actually owns her own domain name.

she's more prolific than i thought.  :o

i'm really not too keen on her ... but her "recording voice" is actually much better than i initially thought.

Offline AICRAG

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Do unto others before they do unto you
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 12:47 PM »
Storm's face reminds me of a grown up version of Lindsay Lohan.

Pretty but gritty.

Dilana is obviously a pro.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2006 at 12:52 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 12:52 PM »
Zayra is such a cockroach. Is Mark Burnett forcing the band to retain her for the ratings? I want Dilana to win but will she be right for the band? She's the only reason I still tune in. It's really funny that the sassy ones are the contestants who are not even worthy of being in the competition. I notice that there are more finalists with rotten attitudes this season.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline AICRAG

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 03:10 PM »
Nanghinayang ako hindi si Zayra natanggal.  compared to Phil Ritchie.  mas gusto ko matanggal si Zayra.
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #36 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 06:52 AM »
really cannot explain that either.  i was expecting her to be kicked out finally after three weeks of being in the bottom three.  maybe the whole of puerto rico is voting for her.  as for favorites, it's a long shot but my favorites are the ladies.  dilana and storm.  speaking of storm, i dont see the lindsay lohan resemblance. i see more of a kim catrall resemblance.  and speaking of resemblances, i think patrice kinda looks like alanis morissette naman...

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 08:43 AM »
This is the reason why Zayra stayed this week. Was not seen on TV:

Even with a good half hour of dialogue cut -- the Gilby/Jill sparring, for example, went on at least twice as long as shown -- you got the gist of it. But I know there's one blank that needs filling right now:

After the Hatchet Man chopped Phil, you all saw him standing there saying his final words to them. What you didn't see was Dave suddenly piping up with "Do you get newspapers up at the Mansion, Phil?"

"No."

"Well," says Dave, "we do. Let me read you something." He whips out a newspaper and proceeds to read from an interview with Phil, in which Mr. Ritchie states that the reason he’s doing the show is to promote himself and his own band. What’s more, he doesn’t even like Supernova’s music!

Phil is taken aback when confronted by this, but does admit that he didn’t like “the Supernova riff” (or something like that). Tommy, meanwhile, looks like he’s just been stabbed in the heart. (You can see a shot like this in the show.) He turns to the other Rockers and warns ALL of them NOT to make the band or their work look bad with the media or in the press. Gilby then tells Phil that Tommy was absolutely devastated to be letting him go and that he hadn't wanted to do it.

This is the article in question: http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060718/LIFE/607180315/1005

Ritchie said one of the drawbacks of the show is that he gets to perform only covers of songs.

"It's definitely weird from playing my original music for years. We played covers back in the day, but we've been strictly original for four years now," Ritchie said. "I hate playing covers. ... I've done it for years though, and I'm not worried about it."

Ritchie said his primary goal in competing is to promote his band.

"I mean, really I just hope to gain exposure. ... I'm not stoked about the music Supernova's popping out."

He said he knows if he wins the competition he's obligated to tour with the band.

"I love my boys back home, but you know I still have to look out for myself in this world," he said. "I've got to create opportunities for myself, and this is too huge an opportunity to say no to."

Ritchie said the competition is stiff.

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2006 at 08:43 AM by CrUzAC[k]H »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 02:11 PM »
^^ talk about putting your own foot in your mouth. nice going, phil... not!  :-[

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 10:38 AM »
I'm going for Dilana.

The band is composed of 3 accomplished musicians with 1 of them a certified showboat. No one newbie, male or female, will "lead" this band. What they need is someone who can sing the kind of songs they make and attract an audience. I think Dilana fits the bill.

Lukas is fine but he may have an ego problem. Besides, he doesn't add anything to the band. Strip away that goth makeup and he's just a short kid with a growly voice and a rockstar complex. Dilana is (and looks) "damaged" enough to be a rockstar but grounded and disciplined enough to be a professional musician. Plus she looks good, even with all that metal on her face.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 09:18 PM »
today's show rocked... best so far, in my opinion.  ;D

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 09:58 PM »
So that's what a whole episode looks like.

Anyway here are my bottom three for this week:

Patrice - She may sound good live, but hearing it on the TV was just plain pathetic. Or maybe it's just the fact that nobody else can do justice to Higher Ground except for Anthony Keidis and Stevie Wonder. When Chris Daughtry did it on American Idol, everybody was all praises back then, but I still thought it sucked.

Magni - Didn't the Nova guys notice him struggling during the falsetto parts?

Lukas - I just don't see what they see in him.

My Top Three:

Ryan - I will be downloading the s**t out of his version

Storm - She makes me regret not watching the show from the beginning

Josh - He was just ayt for me, but nobody else deserved to be on my top 3 this week.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2006 at 11:03 AM by Phobos »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 08:58 PM »
What did Zayra sing tonight? I didn't catch the title and I'm not familiar with the song.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 09:13 PM »
Wasn't it All the Young Dudes by David Bowie? Jill Gioia should be sent home tomorrow since we know they would keep Zayra to boost ratings.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 09:25 PM »
to be fair... zayra didn't completely suck this week... there were moments when she actually sounded like shakira. she needs to sing in her lower registers more. :P

if it were up to me ... it is LUKAS who should go. vocally, he's the weakest. and as for showmanship, i am not impressed... total poseur. however, my guess is it will be patrice. she is just plain boring. she doesn't light up the stage at all. (and people in TV land can see that) which is a shame because she is one of the few "auditionees" who can actually sing.

at this point of the competition. i have to say that i am impressed with the vocal abilities of dilana, magni, toby, patrice and josh... i'm guessing these are the 5 who will have AMAZING recording voices.  ;)

Edited to add: my 3000 post... or at least... the ones that count. LOL... YAY!  :P

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2006 at 09:31 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 07:42 AM »
The axe fell twice this week!  :o

Latest casualties are Jill and Josh.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2006 at 07:43 AM by GC »
Pro Deo et Patria

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 08:37 AM »
Good riddance! Jill totally deserved the boot. Josh may have a good voice but he didn't try to rock at all. What was he doing in this competition in the first place?

Next week, what will Zayra be up to once they're in Vegas?  ;D

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 09:42 AM »
Good riddance! Jill totally deserved the boot. Josh may have a good voice but he didn't try to rock at all. What was he doing in this competition in the first place?

Next week, what will Zayra be up to once they're in Vegas?  ;D

Josh seems to be out of place indeed but he still is a very cool person. Musically he could have added a different layer to Supernova but it doesn't seem to be the direction Supernova is intended to go.

Zayra and Patrice seems to be the next.

Magni's family was sent all the way from Iceland to US, then he performed an encore twice now. He must be one of the tough contenders in Supernova's mind.

Pro Deo et Patria

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 11:33 AM »
Jill isn't a rocker at heart, kaya mukhang "trying hard." Pag sumablay, halata. She does have a powerful voice, though.

Josh is good and would've been perfect if Supernova wanted to go a more bluesy route. Either way, madidiscover iyang taong iyan because of the show.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 11:56 AM »
Josh is booooring with a capital B. He's the type of guy who is more at home with a band that plays boring music like Maroon 5.

Jill is a great singer but needs to be packaged differently. I see her making an album a la Diamanda Gallas -- rock opera!!

I hope to see Patrice (looks like a menopausal rocker trying to be hip), Lukas (Poseur number 1 and a one-trick eye-linered pony) and Ryan (Poseur number 2) getting the boot next time.

Zayra sucks but she's entertaining so she should be cut the last among the "not-worthies".

My final three would be Toby, Dilana and Magni. If Supernova really has balls they should get Dilana as their singer. Sure she writes lyrics that are so cheeky but the voice and showmanship is killer.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2006 at 01:09 PM by indie boi »

Offline AICRAG

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 12:01 PM »
amen din ako dyan sa mga sinabi mo bro!

sa akin naman ang gusto ko 1) Dilana  2) Magni  3)Storm.(for the killer appeal  he!he!)

but of course, even if Dilana does not get it, will buy her album if ever. Naalala ko sa kanya is the image of "what if Cindy Lauper turned to hard rock?"   he!he!

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 02:32 PM »
Josh is booooring with a capital B. He's the type of guy who is more at home with a band that plays boring music like Maroon 5.

Jill is a great singer but needs to be packaged differently. I see her making an album a la Diamanda Gallas -- rock opera!!

I hope to see Patrice (looks like a menopausal rocker trying to be hip), Lukas (Poseur number 1 and a one-trick eye-linered pony) and Ryan (Poseur number 2) getting the boot next time.

nice comparison with josh and maroon 5... was thinking the same thing.

i can actually see jill doing dance like anastacia.

LOL... while i like ryan.... the kid just seems way too intense. he rarely smiles and when he does, it seems too... uhm, "ingenuine"?

amen din ako dyan sa mga sinabi mo bro!

sa akin naman ang gusto ko 1) Dilana  2) Magni  3)Storm.(for the killer appeal  he!he!)

but of course, even if Dilana does not get it, will buy her album if ever. Naalala ko sa kanya is the image of "what if Cindy Lauper turned to hard rock?"   he!he!

dilana is a beautiful girl... if only she'd get rid of the metal on her face. LOL.

personally... i see her, magni and toby leading this pack.

zayra's hella entertaining tho... keep her in... please! LOL.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2006 at 03:04 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 02:54 PM »
I actually like all of that s h i t on Dilana's face. I think it makes her more sexy and makes you wonder at the same time "can she also rock my world in bed?"

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 03:40 PM »
Dilana vs Magni for me.

Storm might steal it though.  ;D
Pro Deo et Patria

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 04:08 PM »
Storm's sexy and all but I'm already counting her out. She's not right for the group. She's definitely going to get a phone call from Tommy Lee though.

Having said that... I am absolutely bothered that Jason Newsted is with Gilby and Tommy. Gilby I can live with... sort of. But Tommy Lee's not even a great drummer. I feel that Jason's the odd man out in this trio because the guy is a work horse and not flamboyant -- he is a musician and not a "rocker".

Offline GC

• Collector
  • sparc
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 05:06 PM »
^^ OT: I sure do miss Jason in Metallica.
Pro Deo et Patria

Offline Ashburndaride

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • We are Diamond Dogs
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #56 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 05:49 PM »
I like Storm Large but she is a Big No-No to Supernova, my Money goes to Magni.....

Offline d4nu65+3R

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • "i'm real when it's useful."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #57 on: Aug 11, 2006 at 06:51 PM »
newsted will probably do one record with supernova and that's it.  im just wondering what happened to his echobrain project.  didnt it pan out? 

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #58 on: Aug 13, 2006 at 08:15 PM »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one wondering why Zayra is still around. but you guys are right, for sheer entertainmetn value, she gets to stay until the last possible moment.

i didn't understand at first why josh got the boot (jill wasn't a surprise), because patrice doesn't have "it". but i guess she's more of a rocker.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 11:08 PM »
Supernova was unfairly harsh to Storm earlier. She was not that bad and was in fact, better than some performers (e.g. Lukas, who sounded even worse than Chad Kroeger) the band inexplicably praised.