Author Topic: You Like To Collect All DVDs Of....  (Read 47407 times)

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
You Like To Collect All DVDs Of....
« on: Jun 05, 2001 at 02:19 AM »
So, whose films would you like on your DVD collection?

For me, I'd like to have all films directed by:

1. ROB REINER.  Already started with This Is Spinal Tap and A Few Good Men.  Next up will be Stand By Me and The Princess Bride, once the Special Edition version hits the stores.  I dunno how good The Story Of Us is, but it'll be the last, I presume.

2. KEVIN SMITH.  What can I say?  I'm a fan of Kevin Smith.  Currently on order is Dogma:SE and I already have Clerks and Clerks: Uncensored.  Up next is Chasing Amy and Mallrats.  I love Kevin Smith DVDs because it's packed with special features and some real funny stuff (other than the movie itself).  :)

3. GUY RITCHIE.  Already ordered Snatch, so there's one more to go: Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels.  This one's easy. ;D

4. ROBERT ZEMECKIS.  Not really all of his films, but most of it.  I already own Contact, and pre-ordered Forrest Gump.  Of course I wouldn't miss his earlier stuff like the (my very favorite childhood film) Back To The Future Trilogy and Death Becomes Her.  Cast Away will also be in my collection soon enough.  Lastly, there has been lots of rants about What Lies Beneath, but I think it was well-made, and I loved it.

That's all I could think of now.  Will post again...
:)

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: You Like To Collect All DVDs Of....
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 03:02 AM »
Akira Kurosawa.  After seeing a couple of his films, Seven Samurai, Rashomon and Hidden Fortress, I'm HOOKED! I'm gonna buy every DVD of films directed  by this guy, and as an extension, every film that stars Toshiro Mifune

Terry Gilliam.  His every film has a quirkiness that is unmistakably his only. His every film is a treat.

James Cameron. Piranha 2 rules!!  ;D

Bruce Springsteen. It's a forgone conclusion. I'm a fan to death.

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 06:08 AM »
Off the top of my head --- Luc Besson, Terry Gilliam ( I even have Fear and Loathing but couldn't or can't finish it, maybe someday when I run out of dvds :)), Martin Scorsese (Bringing Out the Dead is too intense, maybe I'll rewatch it someday too.) , James Whale (My new camp favorite),... others later..

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 06:08 AM »
The Films of:
George Lucas - Whenever it becomes available, The Indiana Jones Trilogy, The Complete Star Wars Saga, etc.

Kevin Smith - The Ultimate Fanboy

The Concert and Music Video DVD's of:
Sting - The coolest rock icon ever.

The Corrs - The most beautiful and alluring rock godesses ever (Except of course, their brother, Jim)

New Order - When will the Region 1 version of their one and only concert DVD come out?

« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »
Listen to the silence...

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 06:25 AM »

The Films of:
George Lucas - Whenever it becomes available, The Indiana Jones Trilogy, The Complete Star Wars Saga, etc.

Even Howard the Duck ? <kidding>  By the way, did you see the 8 min. short film George Lucas In Love ? You'll love it. It's a parody of Shakespeare In Love where in GL was the center character having a block and how he came up with the idea/characters for Star Wars. Very funny.

But I would love to have a collection of Steven Spielberg films (not all of them) especially :

SVP, ET, Close Encounters, The Color Purple, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park (1 and 2), Indiana Jones movies, Empire of the Sun, Jaws.

Robert Zemeckis movies like Forrest Gump, Back To The Future movies, Cast Away.

Kevin Smith and Coen Brothers films.

Merryl Streep films (Silkwood, Out of Africa, Deer Hunter, She Devil, Bridges of Madison County, Death Becomes Her, Defending Your Life, Sophie's Choice, Heartburn, Postcards From The Edge, Marvin's Room, etc. )

A couple of Julia Roberts' romantics especially Notting Hill, My Best Friend's Wedding and Pretty Woman.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 01:09 PM »

• The X-Files TV episodes -- I have seasons 1, 2 and 3 and I will go on buying them as long as they're being put out.  Hell, I already have practically the entire series up to date on VHS (except for a few 1st season eps), pero the true collector must have them on DVD.

• Paul Verhoeven movies -- I have Robocop Criterion Collection, Starship Troopers, and, yes, even Hollow Man. But I draw the line at Showgirls.  Oh, and I'm also picking up Roughnecks: The Pluto Campaign as it is produced by Verhoeven and is very good, despite lacking the stark violence and gore that are Verhoeven trademarks.

• Aardman Animation features -- I have Chicken Run on DVD, and Wallace and Gromit: The First Three Adventures on VCD...for now.  The  most intricate, witty and brilliant clay animation ever made.

• John McTiernan movies -- I have Die Hard, Die Hard 3 and Predator.  I intend to get Hunt for Red October.  That's about it for John.

• Curtis Hanson movies -- I have LA Confidential and Wonder Boys.  I'm a fan.  Oh, and if anyone else has the balls to film another "unfilmable" James Ellroy novel (as Ellroy had believed LA Confidential to be), I'm there.  There are three other excellent books in Ellroy's "LA Quartet."

• The Sopranos -- got season one, going to get them all. Fuggeddabouddit.

• I agree with Komikero on James Cameron movies -- so far I have Aliens, T2 Ultimate and Titanic on DVD, with True Lies and Terminator on VCD...for now.

• ZAZ movies (Zucker, Abrahams and Zucker).  I have Airplane and The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear.  Just got Hotshots! on VCD...for now.  I'd also love to get all six Police Squad! TV episodes.

• Monty Python movies and skits -- none yet, but soon...

• Classic musicals -- so far we have The Sound of Music, The Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, Annie and Jesus Christ Superstar.

• Disney movies -- all of them.
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 01:18 PM »
1. ROB REINER.  Already started with This Is Spinal Tap and A Few Good Men.  Next up will be Stand By Me and The Princess Bride, once the Special Edition version hits the stores.  I dunno how good The Story Of Us is, but it'll be the last, I presume.

So you're not going to get When Harry Met Sally, Misery, The American President (all damn good movies, IMHO) or Ghosts of Mississippi?

4. ROBERT ZEMECKIS.

What about Who Framed Roger Rabbit?  Not interested?

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 04:34 PM »
gonz- What, you're not going to get Verhoeven's cult classics like The Fourth Man and Soldier of Orange? (hehe..my turn) :D

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 10:59 PM »
benny -- no...no, I am not.  ;)

Offline gets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 06, 2001 at 10:06 AM »
metallica
yeah! all disney movies
all of the afi top 100 movies
all the simpsons episodes(when they come out)

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 12:04 AM »
MICHAEL BAY - Aside from directing good action movies, criterion editions of his movies like Armageddon and The Rock are released.  I hope that when Pearl Harbor is released on DVD, a criterion edition will be released later on - should be DTS.

JAMES CAMERON - Most of his movies are top grossers, movies that are icons already.  More criterion or ultimate editions of his movies should be released like what was done for T2 - should all be available in DTS.

George Lucas & Steven Spielberg - I think its pretty obvious why the movies of these 2 guys are good to collect.

Ultimate, Special, and Collector's editions - the ones that are released aside from the regular version.  The more if the movie itself has added scenes or a different version - just like T2 Ultimate with 3 versions to choose from (Theatrical, Special Edition, Special Extended Edition). They make you feel proud of your collection more, especially if Region 3 released an ordinary version only.  It makes you feel your money's worth.

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 12:45 AM »

So you're not going to get When Harry Met Sally, Misery, The American President (all damn good movies, IMHO) or Ghosts of Mississippi?

Well, I'd be getting When Harry Met Sally and The American President, when some sort of "Special Edition" does arrive.  Meantime, I'd prioritize the titles with SEs (except Stand By Me since it's one of my childhood favorites).

Hey, I didn't know Rob Reiner directed Misery.  Um, it's the one based on Stephen King's book, right?  Starring Kathy Bates?  Yes, that was it, because I just checked IMDB.   ;D

As for Ghosts..., I haven't watched that one yet.  Now I will, now that I've realized it's a Rob Reiner film.

What about Who Framed Roger Rabbit?  Not interested?

To tell you honestly, I haven't really watched the film in full yet.  I may have in parts, and I was very young back then to really appreciate the movie.   I'll probably rent a tape first (if there still exists a copy) then see if the DVD's worth getting.

Another one I forgot is The X-Files boxed sets.  I already made a vow to collect every episode of TXF, and like gonz, I have areound 20+ VHS tapes full of episodes (in EP!), recording every episode I can.  Now, I'd just have to wait for the DVDs.  :)

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 01:03 AM »

• Paul Verhoeven movies -- I have Robocop Criterion Collection, Starship Troopers, and, yes, even Hollow Man. But I draw the line at Showgirls.  Oh, and I'm also picking up Roughnecks: The Pluto Campaign as it is produced by Verhoeven and is very good, despite lacking the stark violence and gore that are Verhoeven trademarks.

How about Basic Instinct?  It's a Verhoeven movie, isn't it?

Adding to my stuff:

Frank Darabont and Stephen King Collaboration.  Currently, there are two I know of:   The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.  I just wish they would release real jam-packed DVDs of these two great films.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 06:39 AM »

Adding to my stuff:

Frank Darabont and Stephen King Collaboration.  Currently, there are two I know of:   The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile.  I just wish they would release real jam-packed DVDs of these two great films.

There were only two collaborations from Darabont and King so far. The Shawshank Redemption is a great movie ... I wish I could say the same about The Green Mile. It was a little formulaic and there was nothing in the movie that excited me ... not even the mice. Maybe I just got tired of good old fashioned Tom Hanks.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 09:00 AM »
How about Basic Instinct?  It's a Verhoeven movie, isn't it?

I have a two word response to that suggestion.  The first word is "no," and the second is "way."  ;)

Forgot, I also have Verhoeven's Total Recall on VCD (for now), which despite its flaws is still better than The Sixth Day.

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 09:46 AM »
Carolco Films of the early 90's.  These flicks takes me back to my college days at DLSU.  Total Recall, Basic Instinct, hey, these are the best!!!
Listen to the silence...

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 07:08 PM »
All the episodes of X-Files (Plus The Movie) and The Sopranos.

That's it. I really don't feel the urge to collect all the movies from directors I respect since I can't find someone who can consistently hold my interest. I recently bought two Alfred Hitchcock boxed sets and I felt somewhat let down since I just can't bring myself to like some of the titles included there.

I guess if the topic was named "You Like To Collect MOST DVDs Of...." then maybe I can name a lot of people like Rob Reiner, Michael Maan, Kevin Smith, etc.

Offline Psyche

• Konsehal
  • Apprentice
  • I'm slowly losing my mind and DVD is to blame.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 07:44 PM »
I'm going for the works of dead directors such as Alfred Hitchcock, David Lean, Orson Welles etc. At least this puts a finite cap on my DVD purchases. Since I'm so obsessive-compulsive, if I were to collect the works of living auteurs, there would be no end to this. Every time a new work of theirs is released on DVD, I'd think "Oh no! I have to buy this or my collection won't be complete" and feel compelled to purchase it just for completion's sake. Yes, no matter how terrible a film was--because if you'd like to study a director thoroughly, you'll need to examine him as a whole, his successes and mistakes, highs and lows, in relation to events in his life or the state of society in that period.

Offline nick25

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 08:36 PM »

• Jerry Bruckheimer - The Rock, Con Air, Top Gun, Gone in 60 Seconds, etc.
  • Kevin Smith - Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, etc.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 11:43 PM »

I'm going for the works of dead directors such as Alfred Hitchcock, David Lean, Orson Welles etc.

A finite cap?  Oh, man, that's a lot of dead directors...Sergei Eisenstein, Stanley Kubrick, Howard Hawks, Michael Curtiz, Akira Kurosawa...

Conversely, you must be so frustrated waiting for young directors like Paul Thomas Anderson, Spike Jonze and Kevin Smith to "just die already!" so you can start collecting their movies!

;)

Offline yagballs

• Collector
  • Liked:
George Lucas in Love
« Reply #20 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 12:05 AM »

Even Howard the Duck ? <kidding>  By the way, did you see the 8 min. short film George Lucas In Love ? You'll love it. It's a parody of Shakespeare In Love where in GL was the center character having a block and how he came up with the idea/characters for Star Wars. Very funny.

I was curious about this and searched it on the net. Funny. Its available in Windows Media only though :(

http://www.mediatrip.com/film/movies_on_demand/308.html

Offline flyderman

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Friendly Neighborhood
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 01:26 AM »
gonz:  About The Sixth Day, you know, it would've been an awesome film.  It has a really great premise, lots of potential there.  Instead it turned out to be a too-Hollywood-ish flick.  Not to mention the numerous flaws too.  Perhaps if the director and/or actor and/or scriptwriter was/were different... ?  Sayang.   :(

kakabanas: The Green Mile isn't really a bad movie, but it's not as great as Shawshank.  Still, it was one worth my time, and I enjoyed seeing it.  :)

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 01:30 AM »
6th Day executed some pretty cool concepts. The Repet shop at the mall, Instant clones. The whole thing had so much potential. It had a nice plot going. I wish it could have ended a little better.

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
Re: George Lucas in Love
« Reply #23 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 02:25 AM »

I was curious about this and searched it on the net. Funny. Its available in Windows Media only though :(

I just saw this care of the link yagballs posted. Hilarious! Thanks for the link yagballs! However, I do not think that at $13, it really wouldn't be smart to buy the DVD of this 9 minute short. You can say that the disc has a lot of extras along with other shorts, I'd still be more comfortable with a VCD, a VHS tape, or even an .ASX file.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 06:29 AM »

kakabanas: The Green Mile isn't really a bad movie, but it's not as great as Shawshank.  Still, it was one worth my time, and I enjoyed seeing it.  :)

I never said it was a bad movie ... I enjoyed seing it the first time. I don't think I can sit thru it again though for another three hours (which I could do over and over again to Shawshank). But hey, if you like it that much, who am I to argue ?   :P

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
Re: George Lucas in Love
« Reply #25 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 06:30 AM »

I have it on VHS tape actually. I bought it like two years ago @ Amazon.com ...  I still watch it once in a while.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 09, 2001 at 10:04 AM »
i was obsessed in collecting all the criterion release before....i had about 20 criterion titles...
but it was just gathering dust on shelf so i just sold most of them on ebay...kept a few that i really liked,
i.e. , seven samurai, robocop, sotl, and time bandits....
.·´ `·. . >&lt;((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . &lt;º))))>&lt;
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . >&lt;((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .>&lt;((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline ekime

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 09, 2001 at 11:18 AM »

i was obsessed in collecting all the criterion release before....i had about 20 criterion titles...
but it was just gathering dust on shelf so i just sold most of them on ebay...kept a few that i really liked,
i.e. , seven samurai, robocop, sotl, and time bandits....

Same here bently, I reached up to Spine 80 before I sold them.  All sealed, except The Killer (I had to watch it, it was so tempting).  Now, I only have around 5 or 7 Criterion titles.

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jun 09, 2001 at 04:34 PM »

New Order - When will the Region 1 version of their one and only concert DVD come out?

Starman and gonz, if you like to check out some New Order dvds, have a look see into:

http://www.laserexchange.com/  

They have R2 dvds (Japan and UK), quite pricey though.
Also some laser discs of rare (?) Anime titles from Japan on sale, starting at $25.00 ++

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 05, 2001 at 06:42 PM »
brothers,

for me basta work ng PIXAR WALT DISNEY aprub!!!! and other WALT DISNEY DVD TOO.

thanx,

vax