Author Topic: Lifespan of generic DVD Players  (Read 1947 times)

Offline rustyns

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lifespan of generic DVD Players
« on: Mar 25, 2006 at 10:17 AM »
Hi guys,

Do you think it would be useful if everyone using generic dvd players listed their past and present generic dvd players' brand/model/lifespan?

Here goes:

Orange, can't remember model, 2 years, this worked very well  all day everyday playing cds and dvds until it died

e-G, MSV MIDI-6028, 2 years, still working well - but only after returning the first 2 units - used only during karaoke parties

Promac, DVDG-300, 1 year - still working but it now has difficulty reading those pdvds with > 5 titles - used only for dvd's because I am using a dedicated cd player for music
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2006 at 05:42 PM by rustyns »

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
Re: Lifespan of generic DVD Players
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2006 at 01:09 PM »
Mine was a Skyworth 3250 bought for Php 3.1K. Used it for almost two years until i sold it last March 2005 for Php 2.5K to an officemate. She still uses the player and accordingly plays all disk w/o problem.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2006 at 01:11 PM by juneaki »

Offline van_wilder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2006 at 11:15 AM »
i have an orange for two years now i think, got it at virramall nung hindi pa narerenovate. i use it sparingly only and it is still in good working condition. only problem is that the remote died down early. also i noticed that the picture quality is not as good as the other branded ones even if hooked to something like a philips pixel plus.
panasonic 42plasma
marantz avr wharfedale speakers 6.1
ps2; wii

Offline rustyns

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2006 at 10:42 PM »
Well, my promac dvdg-300 stopped working 2 days ago.  The controls wouldn't respond and there was no display on the front panel. The fan was turning however and the promac splash screen is being displayed on the tv when the unit is turned on.  Unfortunately, the unit's warranty has already expired. I emailed promac and they replied with

We thank you in your patronage of Promac. Sir, if you are living near the
Quezon City rotunda, just bring your unit in our factory located at #19
Speaker Perez St., Quezon City, Philippines. Nearest landmarks / buildings
are: QC Rotunda, Burger King, between Metrobank and Elar's Lechon is the
Speaker E. Perez street along Quezon Ave. From there, it's like 5-10
minutes walk to our factory gate (mocha colored). On the opposite fronting
us are the Daily Dairy office and another Elar'z Lechon store.

Please bring it during office hours 8-11 in the morning or 2-4 in the
afternoon, so that you won't have to wait long and you can bring it home
with you. For more questions please dial these numbers and look for Miss
Yna: 712-38-05.

I'm sure that displaying their email here is ok since it's free publicity for them.  I left the unit with them yesterday and got it back today. They replaced the whole mpeg board with a new one. I paid 500 for the board and 200 for the service fee.  I hope it was worth it. I gave it to my daughter since I already bought an Orange  DVD-33. I chose this player because it plays all my dvds and cds (both original dvds and those 24-in-1 pdvds, cdrs and cdrws with mp3 files, jpg files and cd audio.)

So, updating my entry -

Orange, DVD-3310, 2 years, this worked very well  all day everyday playing cds and dvds until it died

e-G, MSV MIDI-6028, 2 years, still working well - but only after returning the first 2 units - used only during karaoke parties

Promac, DVDG-300, died after 1 year of being used solely for playing dvd movies - I had it repaired. It is now working again but has difficulty reading 24-in-1 pdvds even after being repaired. (This probably died because of marathon sessions watching Friends dvds  ;D )

Hmmm... maybe lifespan should be further qualified as
-starting from the date of purchase
-ending on the date (after warranty) when it stops working and needs to be repaired

Offline torque

• DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 12:47 PM »
Xenon 810
Purchase date: Nov 15, 2002
Unit still working but has difficulty reading some of the pie DVDs.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2006 at 06:41 PM »
SAST DVD Player(Purchased 2001)

-still plays well except for some really hard to read p-dvds.  Had some problems with the video with pixellations after 2 years of use and had a fan installed in it coz accdg. to the tech the pixellations were caused by an overheating video chip.  Still plays well with my 3 year old girl's abuse of DORA and BARNEY.   ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2006 at 06:41 PM by nerveblocker »

Offline rmpmla

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2006 at 08:01 AM »
SAST AEP-816
Bought March 2002.  Very reliable player.
Never been repaired for playability.  some of the front panel buttons ay lumubog na but no problem since the remote unit  still works well ;D. Bugbog sarado sa dalawa kong anak.  Played an average 2~3 P-DVD discs a day.

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2006 at 01:31 PM »
my Kebao 3089 was alive and kicking for 2.5 years with no problems whatsoever, til the day it died. I was watching my 2nd dvd for the day when the power just went dead and couldn't be revived anymore :(
money is best spent

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2006 at 02:18 PM »
SAST AEP-816
Never been repaired for playability.  some of the front panel buttons ay lumubog na but no problem since the remote unit  still works well ;D. Bugbog sarado sa dalawa kong anak.  Played an average 2~3 P-DVD discs a day.

Same model as mine.  Nakatsamba tayo dito bro!  ;D

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2006 at 03:49 PM »
which reminds me - anyone looking for a remote control unit for Kebao dvd players? I have mine in very good condition ;)
money is best spent

Offline rustyns

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2006 at 04:21 PM »
Well, my recently resurrected Promac, DVDG-300 has just stopped reading dvd's. It still reads cds and vcds very nicely.  The repair center says a laser replacement will fix that. The laser assembly is the single most expensive part of a dvd player so I said no, I would rather buy a new dvd player.

This way, for a little bit more money, I would have a perfectly working dvd player AND a cd player rather than just one iffy dvd player

Offline torque

• DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2006 at 10:14 AM »
SAST AEP-816

Same model as mine.  Nakatsamba tayo dito bro!  ;D

I remember SAST was the hottest selling generic player on summer 2002. Thanks to helpful reviews and posts from nirvblakr, bestbuy88, alfie, rmpmla and others. I also bought SAST AEP-816 on April 2002 as my first DVD player.

Offline ndy

• Collector
  • [OIIIIIIIO]
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2006 at 04:24 PM »
ganzklar bought it 2002 still working fine natangal lang eject sa player kaya dapat laging may charge battery ng remote ;D naunahan pa ngang bumigay ng samsung ko na halos 9k price 1week na lang 1year na kaya ayun na claim ko naman warranty 2mo. naman tinagal sa shop yung nga pala dahilan kung bakit ako nakabili ng ganzklar buy 1 take 1 sa makro ang kahati ko e mom puti ko.

another good thing about the generics dun ko piniplay r1 disc ko.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2006 at 04:32 PM by ndy »
jeep[____]
l--l---0lllllll0-
0_)-0_)--o-)_)

Marantz SR7011
Cambridge Audio CXA61
Wharfedale's
SVS