Author Topic: KUBRADOR (The Bet Collector)  (Read 34517 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
KUBRADOR (The Bet Collector)
« on: Mar 27, 2006 at 09:49 PM »
Jeffrey Jeturian's stab at the life of a jueteng collector with Gina Pareno, Nanding Josef and Johnny Manahan.

Sounds interesting.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2006 at 08:26 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: KUBRADOR (The Bet Collector)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2006 at 12:50 PM »
Who wrote it?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2006 at 06:02 PM »
Some pics from the movie. Just the subject matter alone, its worth the trip! And Pareno shines wonderfully in the movie. Johnny Manahan plays the jueteng drug lord. Jeffrey Jeturian never fails me.

www.pbase.com/boyyniguez/kubrador
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2006 at 06:35 PM by keating »

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2006 at 06:14 PM »
I hope they consulted with the politicians para sa realism ng movie.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2006 at 06:23 PM »
I hope they consulted with the politicians para sa realism ng movie.

Yeah, it would be more fun if some politicians had cameo role in this movie especially Chavit Singson.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2006 at 06:26 PM »
Who wrote it?

I forgot the writer, Noel. I'll get back to you.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2006 at 07:55 AM »
Seems to me half of a Jeturian film is Armando Lao. Has he done anything outside of Lao? Was it any good?

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2006 at 08:07 AM »
Seems to me half of a Jeturian film is Armando Lao. Has he done anything outside of Lao? Was it any good?

Jeturian's comedies are usually written by Chris Martinez. I did like Bridal Shower and Bikini Open, not really for the writing which I thought was spotty at moments, but for Jeturian's direction and frankness. I like the Jeturian-Lao collaborations more.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2006 at 08:08 AM by oggsmoggs »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2006 at 08:38 AM »

Most of his films depends largely on Lao's scripts from his groundbreaking debut, the domestic drama SANA PAG-IBIG NA, to PILA BALDE & TUHOG.

Damn can't find Noel the name of the newbie writer.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2006 at 12:26 PM »
Jeturian's comedies are usually written by Chris Martinez. I did like Bridal Shower and Bikini Open

Ah, well. I got Bridal somewhere round here I think, still unwatched. Lemme try it out one of these days. Can't imagine Chris Martinez doing anything like Pila Balde, Takaw Tukso, or La Vida Rosa, tho.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2006 at 08:38 PM »
Jeturian has a distinct style when it comes to his films. Saw him during the UNCUT screening of TUHOG at UP Film Center before they fielded it to Venice Film Festival.

Maybe he already smoke the peace pipe with Joey Gosiengfiao.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 14, 2006 at 06:08 PM »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 14, 2006 at 06:10 PM »
Who wrote it?

Newbie writer named Joel Jover. Finally got it, Noel.

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2006 at 01:27 AM »
Most of his films depends largely on Lao's scripts from his groundbreaking debut, the domestic drama SANA PAG-IBIG NA, to PILA BALDE & TUHOG.

d**n can't find Noel the name of the newbie writer.

don't forget MINSAN PA which for me is one of his best works! conventional yet not typical, if you know what i mean.  ;D 
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 15, 2006 at 01:27 AM »
will see Kubrador's press preview later...
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15, 2006 at 05:08 PM »
Too bad the preem tonight at Greenblet 3 is only exclusive to cast, crew and production people. You're lucky jekoy. The seating capacity is only 50, same venue where Cesar Hernando's KAGAT NG DILIM was shown.

Did you won from Jessica Zafra's raffle on her blog?

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2006 at 12:34 AM »
I was hoping to win, keating. But unfortunately, I was too late. What I did though was asked Direk Ellen Marfil (of Pusang Gala) if she has invites. I interviewed her once for a magazine then worked for her for a while.  She said yes and I asked her if she could get me in and my friend.  Luckily, Atty. Joji Alonso of MLR Films (Kubrador's producer) is her friend. Atty. Joji co-produced her Pusang Gala. So she was able to get us in!

Medyo madami nga tao. Napuno ung theater with lots of guests.  Ung iba nga sa stairs na lang naupo while the others remained standing throughout the film.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2006 at 02:38 PM »
Kudos should go to Jeffrey, the crew, Atty. Alonzo and Ms. Gina Pareno for a job very well done! Good luck.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2006 at 02:38 PM by RMN »

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 16, 2006 at 08:55 PM »

Quotes from people who watched the film kahapon...

1 - '(With Kubrador)Jeturian finally secured a place in history of Philippine cinema as a trully gifted master, a title exclusive  to the likes of Brocka, de Leon, Bernal and O'hara'

2 - ' Gina Pareño gave the best female performance in recent years after Helen Gamboa's Bayani.'

3 - ' Jeff is back in top form after Tuhog'.

Pics : http://www.flickr.com/photos/kubrador/89280657/

Kubrador will open Cinemalaya this July 7.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2006 at 09:02 PM by edsa77 »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2006 at 07:10 PM »
Jeffrey Jeturian is slowly but surely following the footsteps by Bernal & Brocka. His track record is quite impressive.

Can't wait to see it in CINEMALAYA.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2006 at 06:37 PM »
'Kubrador', parang 'Insiang' at 'Maynila: Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag' ni Lino Brocka!

Billy Balbastro

FINALLY, I got to see what Philip Cheah of Singapore Film Festival says is Jeffrey Jeturian’s best work since Pila Balde and Tuhog, Kubrador – the digital film which MLR Films transferred to 35 mm.

Last Thursday evening at Greenbelt 3’s Cinema 2 which was SRO (standing room only), I also got to realize what Philip Cheah again says of Gina Pareño’s performance, thus: "The lead actress who is a fat lady is brilliant."

Just like its modest yet competent cast, Kubrador has its disturbing brilliance in the ensemble performance of its actors and actresses, in its subtle visuals and commentary of the current Philippine life.

Robert Yniquez’s visuals alone hit you more than words can ever say and Jeffrey Jeturian exploited Ralston Jover’s screenplay to come up an eloquent study of survival and corruption.

Once more, I see Lino Brocka’s images of Insiang and Maynila: Sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag. Thank God, after the long, long season of flying Darnas and Mulawins and Krystala upon us, we got Kubrador this year which makes Atty. Joji proud.

Production design is most commendable with the scenes and venues we can feel and smell. Leo Abaya knows his business after all these years.

Ah yes, the acting. Gina Pareño is brilliant, as expected, and she runs away with the movie but one cannot detract from the excellent performances given out by Johnny Manahan as jueteng treasurer, Doming Landicho as the grandpa, Soliman Cruz as the chief of police, Nanding Josef as the priest, Nico Antonio as Baste and Miguel Castro as the car owner in one fast-paced, action-filled scene.

Indeed, prior to making it to the theaters in the country, Kubrador truly deserves the festivals of the world, it has been invited to.

It is set to compete in the 28th Moscow International Film Festival – July 24 to July 2 and in the Osian’s Cine Fan Festival of Asian Cinema in New Delhi – July 14 to 20.

In fact, Gina Pareño told us that she already got her round trip ticket for Moscow where she and director Jeffrey are invited to attend, all expenses paid.

Atty. Joji and company, along with Direk Jeffrey and Gina, are set to leave on June 22, Thursday, for Moscow, giving them ample time to attend the opening rites on June 25.

Kubrador carries the title The Bet Collector.

In a capsule, here’s the story: Amelita collects bets for jueteng an illegal numbers run by a local network of urban slum dwellers under a gambling lord, rumored to be a public official.

To earn her daily commissions, Amelita – wife, mother, grandmother – works and walks thru the neighborhood daily collecting bets. Faith in God gives her strength. She is still haunted by the death of her young soldier son.

Life remains mysterious, arbitrary. No one knows when the local police make sudden arrest. On All Souls Day, Amelita goes to visit her son’s grave, only to be caught in a cross fire. A stray bullet misses her by an inch but killed an innocent bystander. Here she wants to understand why.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 19, 2006 at 05:08 PM »
This might be the opening film next month at Cinemalaya.

Word of mouth pa lang, worth it already!

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 20, 2006 at 12:00 AM »
yes...it will open cinemalaya..

Moscow line-up

http://www.miff.ru/28/eng/moscow/program/49/
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2006 at 12:08 AM by edsa77 »

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 11:22 PM »
SQUALOR AND SALVATION

(Philippine Daily Star, 10 June 2006)
Joven Vlasco

Jueteng in the Philippines is a numbers game, a lottery, a game of chance. But while games of chance abound in the country, this one has figured prominently in recent Philippine history.

An immediate past President of the Republic was ousted through people power. Among the charges of high-placed corruption in his government, this leader and a son who now sits as a Senator in the Upper House of the Philippine Legislature had been accused of receiving bribe money to ensure the continuous operation of the numbers game, which is illegal gambling in the country.

The ousted President’s constitutional successor, initially perceived to be unassailable as she apparently stood on higher moral ground, ironically finds herself just several years later in a similar scandalous situation, also along with some members of her immediate family, including a son who this time sits as a Congressman in the Lower House. The situation has led to a politically-beleaguered presidency well until this time.

Some Philippine authorities believe that this numbers game should be made legal, since gambling, anyway, has been deeply-entrenched in Filipino culture. Besides, it gives livelihood to the numerous unemployed especially in the countryside. If ever jueteng persists, open secrets disclose, it is because it is not only tolerated but more so perpetuated by the collusion among several parties concerned—the national as well as local officials and politicians; the police, also local and national; and the predominantly below-poverty-line majority of the Filipino populace who find employment as collectors and checkers.

Raids and apprehensions are staged occasionally, whenever the jueteng issue gets hot—temporarily. These token gestures are made to appease those who disapprove of the illegal common man’s lottery, notably some bishops and archbishops. “Some” because allegedly a good number of them are also beneficiaries of jueteng money conveniently to bankroll Christian charity projects! 

At the base of this nation-wide, deeply entrenched gambling operation are of course the Filipino folks and masses who bet, ranging from as low as a measly peso to as high as several hundreds or even thousands . The stakes may be high, for some winnings can go to tens and hundreds of thousand pesos, depending upon one’s bet or “investment.” Certainly this constitutes an irresistible come-on for people whose only weapon against abject poverty and lack of opportunities in life is a folk-sense hope that to the more privileged may be sheer folly and a laid-back and misplaced optimism.

If ever some bishops frown at the game, it is because they know the scam behind such operations: operators collect small money from the poor which add up to quite a fortune and they run away with the bulk of the money and leave slim pickings to the unsuspecting bettors (or if they are aware, they wouldn’t mind as long as they have the chance to augment subsistence family incomes). Everybody gets rich—the operator and their “cohorts” in high places—except the poor folks who are appeased with token, once-in-a-while small winnings.

This is the socio-political context of Jeffrey Jeturian’s KUBRADOR/ THE BET COLLECTOR (script by Ralston Jover/script supervision by Armando Lao). The title refers to Amelita or Amy, a post-menopausal wife to an inutile but solicitous husband who seems to have abdicated his role of “taking charge” in his family and household, and mother to adult children who still turn to her for financial help and family upkeep. She “collects” the bets and places them at the table of the hench- or frontmen of Big Operator who is never seen in daily operation and whose identity oftentimes is top secret. They may be the townspeople’s favorite politico or top law enforcer, who knows?

Although Jeturian’s film is a composite story of lesser lives, of the sacrificial children of jueteng rather than the perpetrators who make a big killing each time, it defies plot-oriented retelling. It simply follows the film’s protagonist (excellently portrayed with great sincerity and sensitivity by Gina Pareno) as she goes through her daily routine of collecting bets and winnings on behalf of her clientele, bailing out an apprehended neophyte collector, bribing a police officer, collecting contributions , on the side, for the wake and burial of neighbors who recently died, and transacting sundry businesses with practically her whole neighborhood who seem to accord her with respect and affection.

Rising action is not what makes the film engaging, in fact, even riveting. It is the film’s visual and aural textures that tell all in several levels, from the micro-story of a lowly slum-dweller valiantly struggling for survival, or of a bereaved family lamenting the senseless death of their recent college graduate, their only hope to lead them in their escape from a life of wretchedness, to the macro-tale of a society steep in corruption and injustice, where superstition is the people’s only cling to sanity and salvation. The film is replete with subtle potshots at foibles every ordinary Filipino is familiar with, reminiscent of examples and situations recently heard over the radio, shown in television, or read in sensational tabloids.

The film highlights an acid-etched portrait of a strong-willed woman of great strength and endurance as a centerpiece of a societal mural embellished by details of squalor, depression, inequality, and yet also of faith and hope that are almost magical and divine.

The filmmaker’s treatment of his material is a most appropriate fusion, on the one hand, of the stark reality of social realism, rendered in approximated self-reflexive documentary style (long takes of handheld shots, cinematography and production design that simulate rawness and crudeness, spontaneous interaction among actors devoid of artifice and self-consciousness); and on the other, the mystical atmosphere of magic realism as images of unrelenting hope that things will soon turn out for the better, and unconditional faith in the supernatural, constantly supplicated and oftentimes obligingly protective of those who have completely surrendered their fate into its hands unfold.

It is said that this film is Jeffrey Jeturian’s best to date. We wouldn’t put it that way. Oftentimes, he sinks his teeth into genres he has not tried before, employing unconventional style each time. And each time, too, he bites deep into the thick meat of his latest film extremely well done!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 22, 2006 at 09:13 PM »
yes...it will open cinemalaya..

Moscow line-up

http://www.miff.ru/28/eng/moscow/program/49/

Thanks, I'll watch out for it next month.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 29, 2006 at 12:04 AM »
Moscow Pics

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 10:30 AM »
omg! i would love to meet Gina Pareño!!!!!!!

Hope to see this in my local movie house soon.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 03, 2006 at 07:21 PM »
Congrats to the whole cast and crew. KUBRADOR won the International Critics Prize at the Moscow International Film Festival!

8)
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2006 at 07:26 PM by keating »

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2006 at 10:49 AM »
I dont know if this was already posted, but here is the link to the flickr photo album of KUBRADOR:

8)

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 15, 2006 at 01:19 PM »
As real as it gets
By Philip Cu-Unjieng
The Philippine Star 07/15/2006

I was invited to a special screening of Jeffrey Jeturian’s new film Kubrador recently; and it drove home the fact that the gap between independent and socially relevant filmmaking on one hand, and commercial and financial film viability on the other, is still a very wide one. The film was brought to the Moscow Film Festival last month, and won the International Critics’ Choice Award. For the producers, MLR Films, it is only recognition and an award that could help create a buzz for this film, and give it even the slimmest of outside chances of generating box-office success here in the Philippines. That much sobering reality direk Jeffrey was ready to admit.

Shot in mock-documentary style, Kubrador follows the life of Amy (played by Gina Pareño) as she goes about her day-to-day existence as a jueteng collector. The period of time covered are the days leading to All Saints’ Day, and November 1 itself. The desperation, the repetitive quality of this life at the bottom of the totem pole of illegal organized gambling here in our country, is what the film focuses on and it’s a searing indictment of the "quality of life" much of our countrymen have to endure and take for granted as their plight in life.

The cinematography maintains this feel of drabness, as while shot in color, there is a monochromatic quality that seems purposely utilized. The story and screenplay is by Ralston Jover, and he fervently mutes the dramatic content and domesticates the conflict, seeking to only put on display a life almost replete of drama. There are shafts of humor that create sparks, but they are done as asides or observations for all that transpires on a mundane level.

Amy is pious and religious – as are all those involved in the jueteng hierarchy – and the irony of this is not lost, as while devoutly praying, she ends with the hope that she’ll pass the day without getting caught by the police.

In terms of social realism, the film reminded me of the Brazilian film Pixote, which followed the life of one homeless child in Rio. Amy has a deceased son, named Eric, and he flits in and out of the film, his presence unseen but felt by Amy. I wish there was something more done with this. An element of magical realism could have been injected, making his presence in the film more functional. Instead, he is a mere spectre, and we leave the moviehouse wondering why they bothered having him there at all. Director Johnny Manahan makes a cameo as a local jueteng lord, and he actually comes off as a "nice lord," as opposed to the menacing stereotype we would have expected.

If I had to criticize the film, it would that there should have been more drama or conflict. There is the promise of that when Amy’s husband forgets to give her the bet of one neighbor, a bet whose number does come out and would have meant big winnings for this neighbor – but that potential is never realized as the issue just fades away. The ambiguous ending that has Amy involved in a shooting incident at the cemetery brings the film to a close that leaves much open-ended and unresolved. While doing a good job of mirroring her drab existence, Amy’s character fails to engage us effectively. While this may be indicative of the more cinema verite quality the filmmakers were after, this may also be the reason why audiences may shy away. We are left passive observers of Amy’s life.

I commend the intention and courage of direk Jeffrey and the producers to come up with the film, and I can only pray and hope success in Moscow will mean genuine interest in the film. While an audience weaned on art films and the like can appreciate a film of this nature, I have to agree with their own verdict of it not having much of a chance stirring interest with a mainstream audience.