Author Topic: KUBRADOR (The Bet Collector)  (Read 34513 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: KUBRADOR (The Bet Collector)
« Reply #30 on: Jul 15, 2006 at 05:14 PM »
The film is also included in New Delhi Film Festival. Thanks to commentary for the info.

Happy trip, dude!
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2006 at 05:31 PM by keating »

Offline edsa77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Dr r days wn i'd rathr blog dan masturb8!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Jul 19, 2006 at 01:44 AM »
Kubrador’ by special request

By Marinel Cruz
Inquirer
Last updated 00:14am (Mla time) 07/19/2006

Published on Page A2-1 of the July 19, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

KUBRADOR,” the opening movie in this year’s Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival, had to be screened twice on Monday as a result of requests from various foreign embassies, Inquirer Entertainment learned.

The requests for the Jeffrey Jeturian film came from representatives of the Italian, Japanese and American embassies, as well as from the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), according to festival coordinator Tess Ramses.

The American affairs and Association of Southeast Asian Nation (Asean) affairs divisions of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)—all expressed interest in “Kubrador,” as well, said Ramses.

“We find this great interest in watching an [independent] film unusual,” Ramses told Inquirer Entertainment in a phone interview on Monday. “I guess it has to do with the fact that ‘Kubrador’ impressed many when it was shown outside the country—and also because of the controversial subject.”

“Kubrador,” produced by MLR Films, chronicles three days in the life of a jueteng collector played by Gina Pareño.

MLR Films executive producer Joji Alonso confirmed the second screening of the digital movie beforehand. “I lent reels of the film—with subtitles—to Cinemalaya so the members of the diplomatic corps could watch it,” Alonso said. The movie was shown in two theaters at the Cultural Center of the Philippines simultaneously.

A Cinemalaya official who refused to be identified said the film has probably piqued the interest of some sectors because they are implicated in it. In the movie, the official said, a priest places a bet, and a government official protects a jueteng operator.

Critics’ choice

“What’s wrong with that?” Alonso said. “As a movie producer, I subscribe to only two things—honesty and passion. ‘Kubrador’ has both.”

She added: “We believe in the material. No one has made a statement on jueteng yet [through a movie]. It’s about time people started really talking about it.”

“Kubrador,” written by Ralston G. Jover, was unanimously chosen by the International Federation of Film Critics to receive the International Critic’s Prize at the Moscow International Film Festival. It is also being invited to the annual Pusan International Film Festival in South Korea and the Hawaii International Film Festival in Honolulu.

Eight full-length feature and 10 short films are featured in the weeklong Cinemalaya festival, which ends with an awards show on July 23.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 10:07 AM »
I am very happy to share with everyone the good news! At 6:00PM tonight (8:30PM our time), the Osian's Cinefan 8th Festival of Asia had its awarding ceremonies. Ms. Gina Pareno was all dressed up in a sari.

First, the winner for the FIPRESCI was announced (this year, the FIPRESCI changed its rules. A film can win as many FIPRESCI awards in as many festivals it participates in). KUBRADOR won the FIPRESCI anew as best film in competition  from the International Critics Jury which was composed of Max Tessier of France, Lucy Virgen of Mexico and Rwitta Dutta of India. The jury's choice was unanimous.

Thereafter, the Jury for the Asian Competition announced their awards. The jury was composed of Ryuichi Hiroki of Japan, Stanley Kwan of Hongkong, Xie Fei of China, Adoor Gopalakrishnan of India and Jajang Noer of Indonesia. Gina Pareno was declared the Best Actress. No best Actor award was handed out as there was no worthy male performance. This was followed by the special jury prize for TWO GIRLS from Turkey directed by Iki Genc Kiz.  Finally, the award for Best Asian Film in Competition was awarded to KUBRADOR.

On behalf of all the people behind KUBRADOR, I would like to thank all of you who have supported us. This is a great moment for all members of the cast and crew who worked very hard on this project.

God bless us all!

Atty Joji Alonso

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 10:11 AM »
The Bet Collector walks away with Cinefan honours

By Indian Express
Monday July 24, 05:08 AM

The 10-day Osian Cinefan fest came to a close today with fond memories of the football World Cup. Aptly, the film that rounded off the ceremony was Jafar Panahi's tribute to the game and the spirit of the Iranian women banished from football stadiums-Offside.

The guest of honour Priyaranjan Das Munshi, chief of the All India Footfall Federation, however, pointed out: "Carrying forward the spirit of the World Cup in Germany, we should have more films to promote the game." He was quick to add that he was merely "echoing football legend Pele's thoughts." But the mood of the festival was rather sombre, considering the rolls of honour.

The best film in the Asian category was The Bet Collector (Philippines)- Jeffrey Jeturian's sensitive portrayal of the common man's battle, trying to eke out a living and their constant fear of the police. Gina Paremo was named the best actress for her role of a woman running an illegal Spanish betting game, who fights against all odds to be able to visit her son's grave in her spare time.

Suddha-the cleansing rites by P N Ramachandra walked away with the honour of the best film in the Indian competition section. Subrato Sen's Calcutta Unabashed walked away with the awards for the best actor and actress-Subrat Dutta and Tannishta Chatterjee. Like most films shown at Osian this year, this film is about the search of the Indian dream: a ticket to the US for a better life and the battle to maintain a balance with the traditional values.

Turkish film Two Girls got the Jury's Special Mention. Yet another film about the rebellious teens-a theme which did the rounds at Osian this year- this film stands out for the way it contrasts the urban retro kids with the traditional values of their parents.

Four-time national award winning filmmaker Girishka Saravalli's Kanadda film Nayi Neralu was also honoured with a Special Jury mention.

There were eight world premieres, including the most popular What If by Naseeruddin Shah and Anjan Dutt's The Bong Connection. Ten films had been in the fray in the Indian competition category.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 10:18 AM »
Caught this one on Cinemalaya. I liked it, its the best Jeturian film to date since PILA BALDE & TUHOG. Very gritty and realistic portrayal of a bet collector. I can't believe this was only shot for two weeks? The hand held use of camera and semi-docu style add more realism to the movie.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 25, 2006 at 01:04 AM »
'Collector' cleans up at Cinefan
Asian cinema fest hands out prizes

By RUSSELL EDWARDS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW DELHI -- Filipino wrong-side-of-the-tracks meller "The Bet Collector" (Kubrador) collected some heavy winnings Sunday at the closing ceremony of Osian's Cinefan Festival of Asian Cinema here.
Pic, which revolves around a housewife who sells tickets for a numbers racket in Manila's slums, won best film awards from both the Asian Competition and Fipresci juries at the fest's eighth edition.

The Asian Competition jury, which included vet helmers Stanley Kwan and Ryuichi Hiroki, also presented the actress prize to "Bet Collector's" star, Gina Pareno. The jury declined to give an actor award.

A special jury prize went to 2005 Turkish film "2 Girls."

The Indian Competition jury gave its top film award to digital pic "The Cleansing Rites" (Suddha), directed by Ramachandra Pn, while the stars of "Calcutta Unabashed" (Bibar), Tannishta Chatterjee and Subrat Dutta, collected actress and actor gongs, respectively.

The Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema jury awarded its prize to Thai meller "Midnight My Love" (Cherm).

Awards ceremony was followed by screening of fest closer "Offside," the 2006 Berlin Silver Bear winner from Iranian helmer Jafar Panahi.

Cinefan's definition of Asia embraces countries from Indonesia to Turkey; in recognition of the Indian diaspora, fest also screened pics from outside Asia such as Murali K. Thalluri's Australian "2.37" and Varun Khanna's "American Blend."

ASIAN COMPETITION
Film
"The Bet Collector" (Kubrador), Jeffrey Jeturian
Actress
Gina Pareno, "The Bet Collector"

SPECIAL MENTIONS
"Home-land," Tareque Masud, Catherine Masud (Bangladesh)
"Love's Lone Flower," Tsao Jui-Yuan (Taiwan)

INDIAN COMPETITION
Film
"The Cleansing Rites" (Suddha), Ramachandra Pn
Actor
Subrat Dutta, "Calcutta Unabashed"
Actress
Tannishta Chatterjee, "Calcutta Unabashed"

SPECIAL MENTION<,br>"In the Shadow of the Dog" (Nayi Neralu), Girish Kasaravalli

Fipresci Prize
"The Bet Collector"
NETPAC Prize
"Midnight My Love" (Cherm), Kongdej Jaturanrasamee

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 25, 2006 at 01:52 PM »

production designer leo antonio abaya, actor gina pareño and film director jeffrey jeturian at the blue carpet of the xxviii moscow international film festival last 2 july

film producer/lawyer joji alonzo antonio, actor gina pareño and film director jeffrey jeturian in moscow

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #37 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 07:49 AM »
Congratulations to Jeffrey, by the way, and it's great he got to work with Gina on the big screen--she's an excellent actress. Might mention I talked to Mario O'Hara yesterday, and he praised him for being "matino" and doing good work.

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
Jeffrey Jeturian's KUBRADOR, winner of major prizes at Moscow and New Delhi, will finally be shown in in Metro Manila Theaters on August 16, 2006.

It will be screened simultaneously in the following theaters:

SM North EDSA
SM Mall of Asia
SM Megamall
Glorietta 4
Gateway in Cubao
Robinson's Ermita
Cinerama Recto.

We used to complain about trashy Filipino films. Here is one film that dares to go against trash and formula pervading mainstream cinema today.

If you are Filipino, if you love your country, and if you really care about the future of Philippine Cinema please support films like KUBRADOR.

2006 FIPRESCI Prize, 2006 Moscow International Film Festival
Best Picture, Best Actress (Gina Pareno) and FIPRESCI Prize, 8th Osian-Cinefan International Film Festival (New Delhi, India)

KUBRADOR has also been accepted to have its premiere in the following international film festivals:
1. 2006 Toronto International Film Festival, Canada (September 7-16, 2006)
2. 2006 Vancouver International Film Festival, Canada (September 28-October 13, 2006)
3. 2006 Pusan International Film Festival, Korea (October 12-20, 2006)
4. Louis Vitton-Hawaii International Film Festival, U.S.A. (October 19-29, 2006)
5. 30th São Paulo International Film Festival / 30ª Mostra Internacional de Cinema, Brazil (October 21-November 3, 2006)
6. Thessaloniki International Film Festival, Greece (November 7-23, 2006)
7. Brussels Film Festival, Belgium (January 17-27, 2007)

From Variety ---the Bible of Hollywood

'Collector' cleans up at Cinefan Asian cinema fest hands out prizes

By RUSSELL EDWARDS

NEW DELHI -- Filipino wrong-side-of-the-tracks meller "The Bet Collector" (Kubrador) collected some heavy winnings Sunday at the closing ceremony of Osian's Cinefan Festival of Asian Cinema here.
Pic, which revolves around a housewife who sells tickets for a numbers racket in Manila's slums, won best film awards from both the Asian Competition and Fipresci juries at the fest's eighth edition.

The Asian Competition jury, which included vet helmers Stanley Kwan and Ryuichi Hiroki, also presented the actress prize to "Bet Collector's" star, Gina Pareno. The jury declined to give an actor award.

The Indian Competition jury gave its top film award to digital pic "The Cleansing Rites" (Suddha), directed by Ramachandra Pn, while the stars of "Calcutta Unabashed" (Bibar), Tannishta Chatterjee and Subrat Dutta, collected actress and actor gongs, respectively.

The Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema jury awarded its prize to Thai meller "Midnight My Love" (Cherm).

Awards ceremony was followed by screening of fest closer "Offside," the 2006 Berlin Silver Bear winner from Iranian helmer Jafar Panahi.

Cinefan's definition of Asia embraces countries from Indonesia to Turkey; in recognition of the Indian diaspora, fest also screened pics from outside Asia such as Murali K. Thalluri's Australian "2.37" and Varun Khanna's "American Blend."

ASIAN COMPETITION
Film
"The Bet Collector" (Kubrador), Jeffrey Jeturian
Actress
Gina Pareno, "The Bet Collector"

SPECIAL MENTIONS
"Home-land," Tareque Masud, Catherine Masud (Bangladesh)
"Love's Lone Flower," Tsao Jui-Yuan (Taiwan)

INDIAN COMPETITION
Film
"The Cleansing Rites" (Suddha), Ramachandra Pn
Actor
Subrat Dutta, "Calcutta Unabashed"
Actress
Tannishta Chatterjee, "Calcutta Unabashed"

SPECIAL MENTION
"In the Shadow of the Dog" (Nayi Neralu), Girish Kasaravalli

FIPRESCI Prize
"The Bet Collector"

NETPAC Prize
"Midnight My Love" (Cherm), Kongdej Jaturanrasamee

http://www.variety.com/ac2006_articl...47274?nav=news

VarietyCareers By Russell Edwards

'Collector' cleans up at Cinefan

http://movies.go.com/variety/feature?featureid=842303

« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2006 at 02:54 PM by surfsam »

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
‘Kubrador’: How the best was won
« Reply #39 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:05 PM »
By Marinel Cruz
Inquirer
Last updated 00:21am (Mla time) 07/28/2006

Published on Page A2-1 of the July 28, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

GINA PAREÑO, BEST actress winner in the recently concluded Osian Cinefan Festival of Asian Cinema in New Delhi, India, was still in high spirits when she met with the staff of Inquirer Entertainment Tuesday night.

“I was so nervous on the night before the awards ceremony that I had LBM,” she told us. “It’s gone now, nasa akin na kasi ang trophy. Gan’un pala.”

Gina bagged the trophy for the role of Amy in Jeffrey Jeturian’s “Kubrador (The Bet Collector),” which also brought home the Best Picture and Best Director awards.

Tuesday’s victory party in Greenhills, San Juan, was hosted by Joji Alonso and Roger Rayala, executives of MLR Films, which produced “Kubrador.”

It was reportedly a close fight between Gina and Julie Walters in Moscow?

Joji: Their names were the ones going around the whole time. The press was very warm toward Gina during the press con. Our interpreter said that it wasn’t usual.

But the Moscow jury was mainstream. Of course si Julie ang pipiliin nila.

What was the audience reaction to tricycles and owner-type jeeps in the movie?

Joji: Wala naman. But they were impressed with the rooftop chase scene. Ang hirap kayang gawin n’un! We paid a total of P20,000 for the houses that got damaged. We shot for two and a half days in three different areas in Quezon City.

The ending was re-shot. Was the whole thing changed?

Joji: Not really. It’s just that nobody was satisfied with the first one. We think it was a good decision. Ending ’yun; the movie would fall flat on its face if it wasn’t perfect. It took all of 16 takes. Gina was bruised all over.

Gina: Anong 16? That was a total of 18 takes! I didn’t mind. I love working with Jeffrey.

Jeffrey: That was really difficult. It involved a lot of people and it was a continuous shot -- may babarilin, may mamamatay ...

Gina was the only actress you had in mind for the role?

Joji: Yes, from the very start. I was imagining her while reading the script.

Gina, was something put between your legs to make you walk that way?

Gina: Sinadya ko. ‘Pag pagod na si Amy, kinakaladkad ko ang paa ko. Pero kapag palabas pa lang ng bahay, maganda pa ang lakad.

Joji: Hindi -- mataba lang talaga s’ya nun. (laughter) Pero pumayat na s’ya. She was challenged by what (Singapore International Film Fest director) Phillip Cheah said: “The fat lady is a brilliant actress.” Sinugod n’ya si Phillip.

Gina: Anong sinugod? Subtle lang ang birada ko. When we were introduced, I said, “Remember, you said the fat woman in ‘Kubrador’ was brilliant? Do I look fat?” He said, “No, you don’t look fat; you’re lovely.” Balimbing! Mas magaling pa umarte sa akin (laughter).

What was your speech in Hindi?

Gina: I said, “‘Namaste, namaste. Bahut bahut dhanywad.’ That was, ‘Hi to everyone. Thank you, thank you so much.’ Tuwang tuwa sila. To be honest, I really prayed for that award.

Joji: Parang ako sa Moscow…

Gina: Oo nga! Hindi mo makausap ’yan. Alas sais ng umaga, nagrorosaryo.

Joji: I kept praying, “wag naman kaming umuwi ng luhaan, Lord!”

Gina: Handa ako anuman ang mangyari. Naniniwala ako, ’pag para sa ’yo, sa ’yo talaga. When the script was first given to me, I asked Jeffrey about the treatment. He said, “Hindi mo kailangang umarte, Tita.” I got confused. After a few shooting days, I understood what he wanted from me.

Joji: Tinanggal n’ya yung bra n’ya (laughter)!

Gina: Narinig ko may naghahagikgikan sa set. Sina Direk (Jeturian) pala. Ang sabi,, ‘Good take.’ Salbahe talaga ‘yan.

You spent really long hours shooting.

Joji: They shot the jueteng draw scenefor 36 hours—kasama na ‘yung sa palayan.

Gina: Sa awa ng Diyos, nahulog talaga ako sa palayan (laughter).

So what’s next?

Joji: We’ll wait for the commercial run to finish. I’m hoping “Kubrador” will really interest people and make them watch. It will be shown in six theaters.

We’ve received two invitations for competition today—the first is from the Brussels film fest, the other one is from Vancouver. We’re still thinking about it.

How much did “Kubrador" cost, all told?

Joji: P5.5 million. Out of that, P1.575 million was spend on transfer from digital to film, and P27,000 on subtitles.

http://showbizandstyle.inq7.net/entertainment/entertainment/view_article.php?article_id=12109

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:06 PM »
Did you know…

By Marinel Cruz
Inquirer
Last updated 00:17am (Mla time) 07/05/2006

Published on Page A2-5 of the July 5, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

JEFFREY Jeturian’s “Kubrador (The Bet Collector)” got a rave review from the International Federation of Film Critics (Fipresci) and won the International Critics Prize, Inquirer Entertainment learned on Sunday.

“Kubrador” won by a unanimous vote, according to Josabeth “Joji” Alonso of MLR Films, which produced the movie. Alonso, Jeturian and “Kubrador” lead actress Gina Pareño are in Russia for this year’s Moscow International Film Festival.

The jury members were Daira Abolina of Latvia; Sheila Johnston, UK; Claire Clouzot, France; Larisa Malyukova, Russia; and Charles Stephane Roy, Canada.

http://showbizandstyle.inq7.net/entertainment/entertainment/view_article.php?article_id=8138

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
Kubrador’ by special request
« Reply #41 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:17 PM »
By Marinel Cruz
Inquirer
Last updated 00:14am (Mla time) 07/19/2006

Published on Page A2-1 of the July 19, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

KUBRADOR,” the opening movie in this year’s Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival, had to be screened twice on Monday as a result of requests from various foreign embassies, Inquirer Entertainment learned.

The requests for the Jeffrey Jeturian film came from representatives of the Italian, Japanese and American embassies, as well as from the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), according to festival coordinator Tess Ramses.

The American affairs and Association of Southeast Asian Nation (Asean) affairs divisions of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)—all expressed interest in “Kubrador,” as well, said Ramses.

“We find this great interest in watching an [independent] film unusual,” Ramses told Inquirer Entertainment in a phone interview on Monday. “I guess it has to do with the fact that ‘Kubrador’ impressed many when it was shown outside the country—and also because of the controversial subject.”

“Kubrador,” produced by MLR Films, chronicles three days in the life of a jueteng collector played by Gina Pareño.

MLR Films executive producer Joji Alonso confirmed the second screening of the digital movie beforehand. “I lent reels of the film—with subtitles—to Cinemalaya so the members of the diplomatic corps could watch it,” Alonso said. The movie was shown in two theaters at the Cultural Center of the Philippines simultaneously.

A Cinemalaya official who refused to be identified said the film has probably piqued the interest of some sectors because they are implicated in it. In the movie, the official said, a priest places a bet, and a government official protects a jueteng operator.

Critics’ choice

“What’s wrong with that?” Alonso said. “As a movie producer, I subscribe to only two things—honesty and passion. ‘Kubrador’ has both.”

She added: “We believe in the material. No one has made a statement on jueteng yet [through a movie]. It’s about time people started really talking about it.”

“Kubrador,” written by Ralston G. Jover, was unanimously chosen by the International Federation of Film Critics to receive the International Critic’s Prize at the Moscow International Film Festival. It is also being invited to the annual Pusan International Film Festival in South Korea and the Hawaii International Film Festival in Honolulu.

Eight full-length feature and 10 short films are featured in the weeklong Cinemalaya festival, which ends with an awards show on July 23.

http://showbizandstyle.inq7.net/entertainment/entertainment/view_article.php?article_id=10511

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:21 PM »
Rushes

Inquirer
Last updated 00:40am (Mla time) 07/07/2006

Published on Page A2-6 of the July 7, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

Weekend thrill packs a wallop

SOME of the country’s biggest stars were caught on cam by celebrity photographer Mandy Navasero at the Araneta Coliseum last Sunday. They were there, of course, for “Mano a Mano.” Scan this spread and don’t be fooled; they were definitely not this calm throughout.

They shrieked, screamed, whistled; kicked and stomped their feet; prayed and chanted Manny Paquiao’s name.

Many more managed to dodge the camera—Senators Ramon and Bong Revilla, Richard Gutierrez, TV news anchors Arnold Clavio and Korina Sanchez (they even sat next to each other). Korina was with Sen. Mar Roxas.

With Claudine Barretto was husband Raymart Santiago; Sharon Cuneta, with Sen. Francis Pangilinan.

Russian victory

“Kubrador” director Jeffrey Jeturian, lead actress Gina Pareño and film producers Joji Alonso and Rogelio Rayala were all in high spirits when they returned on July 5 from a weeklong trip to Russia.

Their movie, which competed in the Moscow International Film Festival, got rave reviews from the International Federation of Film Critics (Fipresci).

“The jury members said they had never seen anything like it,” Alonso said. “They said the film looks simple at first glance, and yet it’s very complex. The Russian [juror] said every Russian should watch it because it mirrors life in Russia.”

http://showbizandstyle.inq7.net/entertainment/entertainment/view_article.php?article_id=8497

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:23 PM »
'Kubrador' palaban sa Moscow film fest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, meron nang official invitation ang pelikulang Kubrador ni Jeffrey Jeturian mula sa isang foreign film festival.

Dumating na ang official invitation para sa pelikula (na title role si Gina Pareño) mula sa Moscow International Film Festival. Nakapasok sa competition section ang Kubrador.

Ang 28th edition ng Moscow filmfest ay gaganapin mula June 23 to July 2 at ayon sa invitation, sina Jeffrey Jeturian at Gina Pareño are invited to attend, all expenses paid.

Si Atty. Joji Alonso ang prodyuser ng pelikula na nagtatampok din ng maraming stage actors, katulad nina Soliman Cruz, Nanding Josef, Miguel Castro at Neil Ryan Sese.

Pumayag din si Director Johnny Manahan to play a cameo role.

Noong Marso pa natapos ang pelikula. Pero ayon kay Atty. Joji, it will be a better marketing sa ngayon kung ipalabas muna ang pelikula sa ibang film festivals ng mundo, bago ito ipalabas dito sa regular run.

Kung tutuusin, isa sa mga pinakamalaking filmfest sa Europe ang Moscow filmfest. Kung ang Cannes is the most prestigious at ang Venice ang oldest, ang Moscow is the second oldest film festival of the world.

http://www.abante-tonite.com/issue/may0606/showbiz_bb.htm

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:27 PM »
Grand Prix, Golden St. George - OM SARA / ABOUT SARA, Director: Othman Karim, Sweden, 2005

Grand Jury Prize, Golden St. George - DRIVING LESSONS, Director: Jeremy Brock, UK, 2006

Best Director Silver St. George - Bertrand Blier, COMBIEN TU M'AIMES? / HOW MUCH DO YOU LOVE ME?, Italy / France, 2005

Best Actor Silver St. George - Jens Harzer, DER LEBENSVERSICHERER / RUNNING ON EMPTY, Director: Bulent Akinci, Germany, 2005

Best Actress Silver St. George - Julie Walters, DRIVING LESSONS, UK, 2006

Special Prize for Achieving Perfection in Acting and for Loyalty to the Principles of the Stanislavsky Method ‘I believe it. Konstantin Stanislavsky’: Gerard Depardieu, actor, France

The Perspectives Competition Prize: SPRING / CHASHMA, directed by Yolkin Tuychiev, Uzbekistan, 2006

The prize of The Russian Federation of Film Clubs for the Best Film of the 28th MIFF Russian Films program: NANKIN LANDSCAPE, Russia, 2005, directed by Valery Rubinchik

The prize of The Russian Federation of Film Clubs for the best film in Competition: KLIMT, Austria / France / Germany / UK, 2005, directed by Raul Ruiz

Special mention and a diploma of The 28th MIFF Jury of the Russian Guild of Film Critics: DER LEBENSVERSICHERER / RUNNING ON EMPTY, directed by Bulent Akinci, Germany, 2005

FIPRESCI Prize: Kubrador, directed by Jeffrey Jeturian, Philippines, 2006

http://www.altfg.com/awards/2006/moscow.htm

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:29 PM »
KUBRADOR: Invited officially to be in the Competition Section of the 28th Moscow Film Festival, from June 23 to July 2, its Jeffrey Jeturian’s latest film for MLR Films, Kubrador.

With Gina Pareño in the title role, the movie tries to depict the three-day life of a jueteng kubrador. Originally made as a digital film, the movie will be transferred to 35 mm for the festival.

It stars mostly stage people like Soliman Cruz, Neil Ryan Sese, Nanding Josef and Miguel Castro with director Johnny Manahan playing a pivotal cameo role.

From what is initially seen, Kubrador gets good reviews. Singapore Film Festival’s Philip Cheak says: "Jeff (Jeturian) has even managed to reference Nickroeg’s Don’t Look Now in one scene, where the narrow lanes of Venice get substituted for the alley of poor Manila. The lead actress who is a fat lady is brilliant. The film is shot digitally with lots of handheld long takes. I think it is Jeff’s best work since Pila Balde and Tuhog.

http://www.abante.com.ph/issue/may0906/showbiz_bb.htm
http://www.miff.ru/28/eng/press-center/2/

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:29 PM »
Squalor and Salvation

MANILA, JUNE 8, 2006 (STAR) By Joven Velasco - Jueteng in the Philippines is a numbers game, a lottery, a game of chance. But while games of chance are abound in the country, this one has figured prominently in recent, contemporary Philippine history.

Some Philippine authorities believe that this numbers game should be made legal, since gambling, anyway, has been deeply-entrenched in Filipino culture. Besides, it gives livelihood to the numerous unemployed especially in the countryside. If ever jueteng persists, open secrets disclose, it is because it is not only tolerated but more so perpetuated by the collusion among several parties concerned – the national as well as local officials and politicians; the national police; and the predominantly below-poverty-line majority of the Filipino populace who finds employment as collectors and checkers.

If ever some bishops frown at the game, it is because they know the scam behind such operations: operators collect small money from the poor which add up to quite a fortune and they run away with the bulk of the money and leave small pickings to the unsuspecting bettors (or if they are aware, they wouldn’t mind as long as they have the chance to augment subsistence family incomes).

This is the socio-political context of Jeffrey Jeturian’s Kubrador/The Collector (script by Ralston Jover/script supervision by Armando Lao). The title refers to Amelita or Amy, a post-menopausal wife to an inutile but solicitous husband who seems to have abdicated his role of "taking charge" in his family and household, and mother to adult children who still turn to her for financial help and family upkeep. She "collects" the bets and places them at the table of the hench- or frontmen of Big Operator who is never seen in daily operation and whose identity oftentimes is top secret. They may be the townspeople’s favorite politico or top law enforcer, who knows?

Although Jeturian’s film is a composite story of lesser lives, of the sacrificial children of jueteng rather than the perpetrators who make a big killing each time, it defies plot-oriented retelling. It simply follows the film’s protagonist (excellently portrayed with great sincerity and sensitivity by Gina Pareño) as she goes through her daily routine of collecting bets and winnings on behalf of her clientele, bailing out an apprehended neophyte collector, bribing a police officer, collecting contributions, on the side, for the wake and burial of neighbors who recently died, and transacting sundry businesses with practically her whole neighborhood who seem to accord her with respect and affection.

Rising action is not what makes the film engaging, in fact, even riveting. It is the film’s visual and aural textures that tell all in several levels, from the micro-story of a lowly slum-dweller valiantly struggling for survival, or of a bereaved family lamenting the senseless death of their recent college graduate, their only hope to lead them in their escape from a life of wretchedness, to the macro-tale of a society steep in corruption and injustice, where superstition is the people’s only cling to sanity and salvation. The film is replete with subtle potshots at foibles every ordinary Filipino is familiar with.

The film highlights an acid-etched portrait of a strong-willed woman of great strength and endurance as a centerpiece of a societal mural embellished by details of squalor, depression, inequality, and yet also of faith and hope that are almost magical and divine.

It is said that this film is Jeffrey Jeturian’s best to date. We wouldn’t put it that way. Oftentimes, he sinks his teeth into genres he has not tried before, employing unconventional style each time. And each time, too, he bites deep into the thick meat of his latest film extremely well done!

http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/sb/sb004099.htm
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2006 at 01:28 PM by surfsam »

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:30 PM »

MANILA, JULY 3, 2006 (STAR) FUNFARE By Ricardo F. Lo - Curtain-raisers:

•Kubrador is critics’ choice in Moscow

The awarding ceremonies of the Moscow International Film Festival (which started last June 23) was scheduled at 12 midnight (Philippine Time) last night but the country’s entry, the digital film Kubrador (the only Asian film in competition) is already a winner. According to a text message from its producer, Joji Alonso, Kubrador (directed by Jeffrey Jeturian, photo) unanimously won the International Critics Prize (FRIPRESCI Prize) from the International Federation of Film Critics. Written by Ralston Jover (supervised by Armando Lao), Kubrador stars Gina Pareño as a post-menopausal wife (of an inutile but solicitous husband) who collects bets and places them at the table of the henchman of a clandestine gambling operator who could be a politician or a policeman, common fixtures in jueteng-happy Philippines.

From Moscow, Kubrador (titled The Collector for international release) will compete in the following international filmfests: Osian’s Cinefon Fest of Asian Cinema in New Delhi, July 4 to 23; A Window of Asian Cinema in Pusan, South Korea, Oct. 12 to 30; and at the Hawaii International Film Festival, Oct. 19 to Nov. 5.

http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/sb/sb004147.htm

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
FIPRESCI 2006 at Moscow
« Reply #48 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:35 PM »
Moscow (Russia, June 23 - July 2, 2006).
Prize: The Bet Collector (Kubrador) by Jeffrey Jeturian (Philippines, 2006).
Jury: Sheila Johnston, Great Britain, president ("Evening Standard"), Charles-Stéphane Roy, Canada ("Séquences", "ICI Montréal"), Daira Abolina, Latvia ("Diena", "Kino Pauze", "Kino raksti", "Latvian TV"), Claire Clouzot, France ("L'Evénement du Jeudi"), Larisa Malyukova, Russia ("0Novaya gazeta"). Production: MLR Films, 7th floor Kalaw-ledesma Condominium, 117 Gamboa Street, Legaspi Village, Makati City, Philippines, T +63 (91) 7529 3448, +63 (28) 124 260-61, [email protected]
Festival: www.miff.ru

http://www.fipresci.org/awards/awards/awards_2006.htm

Moscow 2006
In its past, still under Soviet rule, the Moscow International Film Festival had always shown a special interest in the cinematographies of Third World countries. In its last decade and under its president Nikita Mikhalkov, it changed its face and became a real international event, open for all kinds of world cinema. Films by Robert Towne, Bertrand Blier, Raoul Ruiz, István Szábo were, among others, invited to participate in competition.

Paradoxically, the critics forming the FIPRESCI jury awarded their prize to a film coming from a Third World country, the Philippines, The Bet Collector by Jeffrey Jeturian. It's the portrayal of an aging bet collector. She clings to the job she has known for more than twenty years, is taken by the police, returns the next morning to the street and continues her clandestine activity. This portrayal is embedded in a view on everyday life, on the Philippines — country, nevertheless, with a considerable cinema tradition.

http://www.fipresci.org/festivals/archive/2006/moscow/moscow_ndx.htm

Driving Lessons favourite at 28th Moscow International Film Festival
4 July, 2006 By Kirill Galetski
Source: Screen Daily

Swede's first feature wins top prize at Moscow Film Festival

Kirill Galetski in Moscow 04 July 2006

The 28th Moscow International Film Festival recovered from the debacle of Michael Haneke's eleventh-hour refusal to chair the main jury, finishing with a surprise best picture winner.
The jury, including Julie Christie, Canadian actor Rémy Girard and French film critic and producer Pierre-Henri Deleau, chose cult Polish filmmaker and existing jury member Andrzej Zulawski to be jury president.

And at the closing awards night at the 1,800-seat Pushkinsky Cinema, they gave the Golden St. George Award for Best Film went to About Sara (Om Sara), the first feature from Swede Karim Othman.

Othman was not counting on winning a festival prize and had left Moscow after the last screening of his film and was nonplussed upon hearing the news.

Festival organisers spent the day before the festival feverishly working out the logistics of his return to Moscow to accept the award.

Jeremy Brock's coming-of-age story Driving Lessons was the clear festival favourite winning kudos from critics and audiences alike, plus a Best Actress nod to Julie Walters for her spirited turn as an aging actress.

The Perspectives programme, now in its third year, had a three-member jury chaired by Czech filmmaker Petr Zelenka.

The other two jury members were up-and-coming Russian director Nikolai Lebedev and Macedonian actress Labina Mitevska.

The jury chose The Source (Chashma), directed by Yolkin Tuichiyev of Uzbekistan.

This year's most feted guest was Gérard Depardieu, in town to receive a lifetime achievement award.

BEST FILM
About Sara (Om Sara)
Karim Othman (Sweden)

BEST FILM IN PERSPECTIVES PROGRAMME
The Source (Chashma)
Yolkin Tuichiyev (Uzbekistan)

SPECIAL JURY PRIZE
Driving Lessons
Jeremy Brock (UK)

AUDIENCE AWARD
Driving Lessons
Jeremy Brock (UK)

RUSSIAN FILM CRITICS' AWARD
Driving Lessons
Jeremy Brock (UK)

FIPRESCI PRIZE
Kubrador
Jeffrey Jeturian (Philippines)

RUSSIAN FILM CLUBS FEDERATION PRIZE
Klimt
Raul Ruiz (Austria-France-Germany-UK)

BEST DIRECTOR
Bertrand Blier
Combien tu m'aimes?

BEST ACTOR
Jens Harzer
Der Liebenversicherer

BEST ACTRESS
Julie Walters
Driving Lessons

I BELIEVE – STANISLAVSKY AWARD
Gerard Depardieu

http://www.contentfilm.com/index.php/news/121.html

OSIAN-CINEFAN Film Festival 2006 Awards

Listen to the international audio of this story on KUBRADOR:
http://cinemaminima.com/2006/07/26/osian-cinefan-film-festival-2006-awards/

BY ANDRÉ SOARES for HOLLYWOOD (CINEMA MINIMA) JULY 26, 2006 —

The OSIAN-CINEFAN Film Festival’s Best Asian Film Award went to Jeffrey Jeturian’s KUBRADOR | THE BET COLLECTOR, the story of a woman who makes a living collecting bets for an illegal game until her life takes a dramatic turn following the death of a neighbor. KUBRADOR also won the International Federation of Film Critics’ Best Film Award, and a Best Asian Actress nod for Gina Pareno.

The Best Indian Film was Ramachandra PN’s SUDDHA | THE CLEANSING RITES, which revolves around the preparations for the burial of an elderly woman, whose family belongs to South India’s now-impoverished feudal class.

Stars applaud as Osian's film festival ends
Monday July 24 2006 18:35 IST
PTI

NEW DELHI: Bollywood actors Urmila Matandondkar, Juhi Chawla, Nandita Das, Shashi Kapoor and Simi Garewal lent glitz to the closing ceremony of the Eighth Osian's Cinefan festival here on Sunday.

After 10 days of a visual treat for cine lovers across the capital city, the curtains were finally pulled down.

Actor Rajit Kapoor, who was the anchor at the event, said, The last few days have been blissful, soaking in film after film. Finally, we come to the end of this eventful journey. The highlight of the evening was the declaration of awards for this year's festival.

Director Jeffrey Jeturian's The Bet Collector- a film from the Philippines - won the award for best film in the Asian Film Category section for its realistic portrayal of life in a Manila slum.

The film from the Philippines also roped in the award for best actor (female) for Gina Pareno as well as the NETPAC critics award for best film. No award for best actor (male) was given in this section this year for the lack of any significant performance by any male artiste in the screened movies.

In the same section, a special jury award was given to the Turkish film, Two Girls, directed by Kutlug Ataman. Two films from this section, Homeland and Love's Lone Flower, got a special mention by the jury.

In the Indian film section, In the Shadow of the Dog - a film by Girish Kasaravalli - was honoured with the critics' award for best film. The award for the best actor (male and female) went to actors Subrat Dutta and Tannishta Chatterjee for their movie Calcutta Unabashed.

The best film in this category was awarded to The Cleansing Rites by Ramachandra PN.

Throughout the 10 days, the fest had seen active participation by filmmakers as well as the general public.

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IE420060724081425&Page=4&Title=Features+-+People+%26+Lifestyle&Topic=0&
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2006 at 09:24 PM by surfsam »

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
From SCREEN
« Reply #49 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:36 PM »
News Update Service
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 : 0330 Hrs

Bet Collector’ hogs Osians’ Cinefan honours

New Delhi, July 25. (UNI): Presence of a galaxy of stars from the Bollywood firmament lent glitz to the proceedings, as the Osians’ Cinefan Festival of Asian Cinema drew to a close with the screening of Iranian film ‘Offside’ on Sunday night.

In what would seem a fitting finale to the ten-day celebration of good cinema, cutting across genres and styles, stars from the mainstream Bollywood shared the stage with proponents of parallel cinema at the closing ceremony of the Asian film festival.

So, while on the one hand one witnessed Bollywood stars Urmila Matondkar, and Juhi Chawla handing over awards to Bengali actor Subratta Dutta (who won the best actor award in the Indian competition category for ‘Calcutta Unabashed) and Tulu filmmaker P N Ramchandra (whose film ‘Suddha’ won the Best film award in the Indian competition section), on the other hand one also saw yesteryears’ Bollywood heartthrob Shashi Kapoor and the graceful Simi Garewal (whose film Siddhartha was screened at the festival under a special section on the Buddha) being feted before a huge audience of cinema lovers.

Four time National awardee Girish Kasaravalli won the Special Jury award for his film In the Shadow of the dog, while the Best Actress award was won by Tannishta Chaterjee for her role in the same film.

However, the maximum number of awards went to the Phillipines film 'Bet Collector' from the Phillipines. Directed by Jeffrey Jeturian, the film is a sensitive portrayal of the common man’s battle, trying to eke out a living and their constant fear of the police.

While the lead actress Gina Paremo was named the best actress for her role of a woman running an illegal Spanish betting game, who fights against all odds to be able to visit her son’s grave in her spare time, film also won the FIPRESI jury Award for Best the film and the Best Film Award in the Asian competition section.

Subrato Sen’s 'Calcutta Unabashed' won both the Best actor and the Best actress award - for Subratta Dutta and Tannishta Chatterjee.

The Turkish film Two Girls by Kutlug Ataman won the Special Jury Prize in the Asian competition section. Two films, 'Homeland' by Tareque and Catherine Masud from Bangladesh and 'Love's Lone Flower' by Tsao Jui Yuan from Tailwan, won a special mention in the Asian competition section.

The NETPAC jury award went to "Midnight My Love" from Thailand.

Unlike the opening ceremony where, barring Manisha Koirala, no Bollywood stars was present, the closing ceremony witnessed a galaxy of stars from the Bollywood firmament. Besides Urmila Matondkar and Juhi Chawla, others who attended the ceremony were actors Raima Sen and Meeta Vashisht (who is also in the jury for the Indian competition section), Rajat Kapoor, Jimmy Shergill, Sanjay Suri and filmmaker Onir.

Also present were renowned filmmakers Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Buddhadeb Dasgupta and Pan Nalin and several personalities from the world of international cinema.

Union Information and Broadcasting Minister P R Dasmunsi, who was the chief guest, said the Asian film festival made an immense contribution to bringing together the best of Asian cinema on one platform.

Also, the quality of the Indian films selected for screening at the festival reflects the vibrancy of the Indian film industry, he said.

The ten-day event showcased to the cinema lovers the best of Asian and Arab cinema.

Organised by Mr Nevile Tuli’s Osians Connoiseurs of arts, the Asian film festival this year screened 120 films from 40 countries in Asia.

Unlike earlier years, when the entry to the film festival was free for the public, this year, the general public had to pay Rs 20 per ticket to watch the films on show at the festival.

Despite the shows being ticketed, a huge crowd of cine lovers thronged the Siri Fort Auditorium to witness the 'cream of Asian cinema' at the festival.

Infact, an unprecedented rush marked the screenings of Pan Nalin's 'Valley of Flowers' (which was the opening film at the festival), Naseeruddin Shah's debut directorial venture Yun Hota To Kya Hota', Anjan Dutt's 'The Bong Connection', 'The Last Monk', Rajat Kapoor's 'Mixed Doubles', Rithwik Ghatak's "Meghe Dheke Tara', and 'Siddhartha'.

Infact, repeat screenings of several films like The Last Monk, Mixed doubles, Siddhartha and Stanley Kwan's "Everlasting Regret" had to be organised on popular demand.

Expressing elation at the huge turnout for the screenings at the festival, Cinemaya editor Aruna Vasudev, who started the Asian film festival in 1999, said. "The rush at the screenings, despite the introduction of tickets, shows there is an expanding space for different kins of cinema in India,"she said.

A number of celebrities from the world of Bollywood visited the festival, which included filmmakers Rajat Kapoor, Sudhir Misra, Anurag Kashyap, Naseeruddin Shah and actors Irfan Khan, Manisha Koirala, Konkona Sen, Jimmy Shergill, Sanjay Suri, Urmila Matondkar, Juhi Chawla, Raima Sen and Shyan Munshi.

Naseeruddin Shah, along with Konkona Sen, were here for the screening of Yun Hota To Kya Hota on July 19, Rajat Kapoor was here in connection with the screening of 'Mixed Doubles'. Urmila Matondkar, Juhi Chawla, Sanjay Suri and Director Onir were present in connection with the screening of their film Bas Ek Pal on Sunday.

The festival also played host to a large number of luminaries from Asian cinema such as Peggy Chiao, Jean Claude Carriere, Mark Damon, Xie Fei and Tu Duu Chih Tony Rayns.

Besides the Indian competition and the Asian competition section, Osian's Cinefan showcased a buhch of outstanding films in two of its well established sections - Cross cultural encounters (featuring films from different regions of the world) and Arabesque (the latest films from Arab countries) - and a large mosaic displaying the range of work being produced in Asia and India, in Asian Frescoes and Indian Osean respectively.

Another section, 'In Tolerance' featured three outstanding documentaries that hold a mirror to the past and the present.

While the jury for the Asian competition section was headed by award-winning Japanese filmmaker Ryuichi Hiroki, and consisted of renowned filmmaker from Hong Kong Stanley Kwan, Chinese filmmaker Xie Fei, Indian filmmaker Adoor Gopalakrishnan and Indonesian actress Jajang c Noer, the Indian competition jury was headed by Italian writer-director Italo Spinelli, the other members being award-winning Indian filmmaker Pan Nalin, Egyptian filmmaker Khairy Beshara and Iranian actress Niki Karimi.

Also featured was a special tribute to filmmakers Ritwik Ghatak and Stanley Kwan, which included films like 'Love Unto Waste', 'Rouge', 'Centrestage', 'Lan Yu' and 'Everlasting Regret' by Stanley Kwan and 'Pathetic Fallacy' (Ajantrik), 'Meghe Dhaka Tara' (The Cloud-capped Star), 'Subarnarekha' and 'Ekti Nadir Naam' (The Name of a river) by Ritwik Ghatak.

The film festival had a special section on the Buddha wherein about a dozen films touching upon Buddhism were screened to commemorate the 2550th anniversary of the birth of the Buddha.

Films like Neten Chokling Rinpoche, Sudipto Sen's 'The Last Monk, Bernardo Bertolucci's Little Buddha, Franz Osten's "The Light of Asia", Ho Quang Minh's "Gone Gone Forever Gone', Nabendu Ghosh's Trishagni, Im Kwan Taek's "Come, Come, Come Upward" and Conrad Rook's 'Siddhartha' were featured in the special section on the Buddha titled 'The Middle Path: a Focus on Buddhism."

Four films from the banner of New Theatres were screened at the festival, in acknowledgement of their 75th year in the business.

http://news.indiamart.com/cgi-local/news-link.pl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehindu%2Ecom%2Fthehindu%2Fholnus%2F009200607250310%2Ehtm

PAGE ONE

Sumati Mehrishi Sharma

New Delhi, July 23: The 10-day Osian Cinefan fest came to a close today with fond memories of the football World Cup. Aptly, the film that rounded off the ceremony was Jafar Panahi’s tribute to the game and the spirit of the Iranian women banished from football stadiums—Offside.

The guest of honour Priyaranjan Das Munshi, chief of the All India Footfall Federation, however, pointed out: “Carrying forward the spirit of the World Cup in Germany, we should have more films to promote the game.” He was quick to add that he was merely “echoing football legend Pele’s thoughts.” But the mood of the festival was rather sombre, considering the rolls of honour.

The best film in the Asian category was The Bet Collector (Philippines)— Jeffrey Jeturian’s sensitive portrayal of the common man’s battle, trying to eke out a living and their constant fear of the police. Gina Paremo was named the best actress for her role of a woman running an illegal Spanish betting game, who fights against all odds to be able to visit her son’s grave in her spare time.

Suddha—the cleansing rites by P N Ramachandra walked away with the honour of the best film in the Indian competition section. Subrato Sen’s Calcutta Unabashed walked away with the awards for the best actor and actress—Subrat Dutta and Tannishta Chatterjee. Like most films shown at Osian this year, this film is about the search of the Indian dream: a ticket to the US for a better life and the battle to maintain a balance with the traditional values.

Turkish film Two Girls got the Jury’s Special Mention. Yet another film about the rebellious teens—a theme which did the rounds at Osian this year— this film stands out for the way it contrasts the urban retro kids with the traditional values of their parents.

Four-time national award winning filmmaker Girishka Saravalli’s Kanadda film Nayi Neralu was also honoured with a Special Jury mention.

There were eight world premieres, including the most popular What If by Naseeruddin Shah and Anjan Dutt’s The Bong Connection. Ten films had been in the fray in the Indian competition category.

http://news.indiamart.com/cgi-local/news-link.pl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcities%2Eexpressindia%2Ecom%2Ffullstory%2Ephp%3Fnewsid%3D194095

By Indian Express
Monday July 24, 05:08 AM

The 10-day Osian Cinefan fest came to a close today with fond memories of the football World Cup. Aptly, the film that rounded off the ceremony was Jafar Panahi's tribute to the game and the spirit of the Iranian women banished from football stadiums-Offside.

The guest of honour Priyaranjan Das Munshi, chief of the All India Footfall Federation, however, pointed out: "Carrying forward the spirit of the World Cup in Germany, we should have more films to promote the game." He was quick to add that he was merely "echoing football legend Pele's thoughts." But the mood of the festival was rather sombre, considering the rolls of honour.

The best film in the Asian category was The Bet Collector (Philippines)- Jeffrey Jeturian's sensitive portrayal of the common man's battle, trying to eke out a living and their constant fear of the police. Gina Paremo was named the best actress for her role of a woman running an illegal Spanish betting game, who fights against all odds to be able to visit her son's grave in her spare time.

Suddha-the cleansing rites by P N Ramachandra walked away with the honour of the best film in the Indian competition section. Subrato Sen's Calcutta Unabashed walked away with the awards for the best actor and actress-Subrat Dutta and Tannishta Chatterjee. Like most films shown at Osian this year, this film is about the search of the Indian dream: a ticket to the US for a better life and the battle to maintain a balance with the traditional values.

Turkish film Two Girls got the Jury's Special Mention. Yet another film about the rebellious teens-a theme which did the rounds at Osian this year- this film stands out for the way it contrasts the urban retro kids with the traditional values of their parents.

Four-time national award winning filmmaker Girishka Saravalli's Kanadda film Nayi Neralu was also honoured with a Special Jury mention.

There were eight world premieres, including the most popular What If by Naseeruddin Shah and Anjan Dutt's The Bong Connection. Ten films had been in the fray in the Indian competition category.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/060723/48/663ys.html

« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2006 at 10:26 PM by surfsam »

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
KUBRADOR Opens in Metro Manila Theaters August 16
« Reply #50 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 03:38 PM »
http://showbizandstyle.inq7.net/sim/sim/view_article.php?article_id=12470

COVER STORY
Gina Pareño hits the jackpot

By Eric S. Caruncho
Inquirer
Last updated 02:47am (Mla time) 07/30/2006

Published on page Q1 of the July 30, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

“TINAMAAN ng jueteng (Hitting the jackpot).”

That was probably how actress Gina Pareño felt when she walked down the blue carpet at the 39th Moscow International Film Festival, together with director Jeffrey Jeturian and producer Atty. Joji Alonso, to accept the critics’ award for best film for “Kubrador.”

“Para akong bankable star (It’s like I’m a bankable star)!” she gushes, recalling how the moment felt. “Siempre, I know where I stand here—pang nanay-nanay, lola-lola role na lang ako, ganoon naman ang sistema natin pag may edad ka na. (I’m good for mother and grandmother roles, that’s the system here when you’re older). But in Moscow, nakakagulat, talagang nakakataba ng puso. Nagpapalakpakan sila, para naman akong sikat na sikat sa Pilipinas. (In Moscow, it was a surprise, it was so encouraging. They were clapping, like I was so famous in the Philippines.) I told myself, ‘Thank goodness I now know how it feels to be on the blue carpet!’”

Not even a nasty case of amoebiasis, which had kept her in her hotel room in Moscow with the runs for much of the 10-day trip, could dampen the triumphant moment. Although some of the actress’ films in the past had made the rounds of the international film festival circuit, this was the first time she had actually been to one.

Festival favorite

It won’t be the last. The day after “Kubrador” opened the ongoing Cinemalaya Film Festival at the Cultural Center of the Philippines, Gina was on a plane for the Osian’s 8th Cinefan Festival in New Delhi, where “Kubrador” scored a grand slam. Gina won the Best Actress award, Jeturian was named Best Director and “Kubrador” once again bagged the prestigious International Federation of Film Critics (Fipresci) award for best picture. The film has also been invited to take part in several other festivals in the coming months, among them Pusan, Toronto, Vancouver, Hawaii, Sao Paolo and Thessaloniki in Greece.

But even before Moscow, the buzz around “Kubrador,” a look at three days in the life of a jueteng bet collector, had been extremely positive. In particular, critics had singled out Gina’s performance as the title character. “Brilliant” was how one foreign film festival director was quoted as describing it.

Local audiences always knew she had it in her. How else to explain her longevity? Gina herself reckons she’s now on her fourth comeback, after various personal and professional setbacks that periodically dampened her career.

“Mabwenas din ako na hindi sila nagsawa sa akin. (I’m lucky that they didn’t get tired of me),” she says. “Kaya sabi ko sa sarili ko, ‘Naku, Pareño, kung hindi mo bibigyan ng halaga ang ginagawa mo, pagsasawaan ka rin ng tao. (That’s why I told myself, ‘Hey, Pareño, if you don’t give importance to what you’re doing, people will tire of you.)” That’s why she’s very careful, Gina says in Filipino. “I’m really lucky, so it feels good to be given another chance.”

Busier than ever

Exactly 40 years after she first entered show business, Gina Pareño is busier than ever, and she’s loving every minute of it.

“Ang sarap kasing umarte (It’s so much fun to act),” she says. “Ngayon super-trabahista ako, as in, pagbaba ko pa lang ng eroplano galing Moscow, nag-ring na cell phone ko, may taping na kinabukasan. Anong jet lag? ’Di umuubra sa akin ang jet lag (Now I’m a super worker, just as I stepped off the plane from Moscow, my cell phone rang, and I had a taping the next day. What jet lag? Jet lag doesn’t cut it with me).”

Gina’s enthusiasm for her craft is understandable, considering how close she came to losing everything.

In 1993, television viewers were horrified to see an almost unrecognizable Gina Pareño on the program “Lovingly Yours, Helen,” haggard and toothless, pleading for another chance.

She had just spent one and a half years in rehab, as part of her sentence for drug possession. In 1988, Gina had started dabbling in shabu, which was just becoming fashionable in showbiz circles.

“Unang-una, kasi gusto ko (First, because I wanted it),” she says about her initial attraction to the drug. “I know myself—I’m a rebel, and a little crazy. Gusto kong maramdaman. Gusto ko join ako, kasi ‘in’ siya noong panahon na ’yon. Pangalawa, nandoon ’yung nanay-tatay ka sa pamilya, tapos alam mong hindi ka na star, kaya nag-alala ako sa pamilya ko. (I wanted to feel it. I wanted to be in, because it was in. Also, there was the fact that I was both mom and dad to my kids and was no longer a star, so I was worried about my family.) Before I knew it, I was there.”

Deeper into drugs

In hindsight, she says, she considers herself lucky because she didn’t have much money at the time. If she did, she might have gotten deeper into drugs.

“You know what, nagpapasalamat ako kasi kung nagkataon na may pera ako noong panahon na ’yon, lalo siguro ako nalulong, sumadsad siguro ako nang sobra. Buti na lang cheap lang ako, kaya kaunting gamit lang, kunwari okey na ako. (I’m grateful, because if I had more money then, I might have gotten deeper into drugs. Good thing I was cheap, I’d use a little and pretend I was okay.)”

The euphoria didn’t last. Near the end of the 1980s, she was arrested for possession of shabu. It was a rude awakening, but an awakening nonetheless.

“I’ve learned from it,” she says. “That’s when I realized how much I loved to act. Doon ko naramdaman ang freedom at ang talent ko na binale-wala ko (That’s when I realized what little value I was giving my freedom and my talent). Imagine, people idolized me, tapos ganoon? Naawa ako sa sarili ko. Sabi ko, pagtibayin mo ako, Lord, hindi ko na uulitin. (I pitied myself. I said, make me strong, Lord, I won’t do it again.)”

Gina spent two months in the women’s section of the Makati jail, the so-called “Hasmin Brigade.” Her celebrity afforded her a certain status among the inmates, but she still had to toe the line.

Her friends in show business, in particular Rudy Fernandez and Inday Badiday, came to her aid. They offered to raise the P90,000 needed for her bail, but to their surprise, Gina refused.

“Sabi ko hindi na, kasi kahit magpiyansa ako tuloy pa rin ang kaso (I said never mind, because even with bail, the case will proceed),” she says. “Mas mahirap pa, kasi gusto ko nang magbago. Kung nasa labas ako, pwede akong tamnan uli. Kaya nagpa-rehab na lang ako. (It would have been harder because I wanted to change. If I were outside, it might happen again. So I went into rehab instead.)”

The DARE drug rehabilitation clinic, where she spent the next 18 months as a condition for her release, was another eye-opener.

“First day ko sa DARE, I saw the others who had to ‘face the wall.’ Kung matigas ulo mo, napakatagal kang tatayo diyan. Kaya ako nabakla, behave ako. Kasi sabi ko, hindi naman ako ganoong kalalim. (If you’re stubborn, you’re going to stand there for a long time. That’s why I wimped out, I behaved. I said, I’m not that far gone). I saw the others who were hallucinating. Sumunod ako sa kanilang proseso, hindi ako nag-negative, kasi nakakatulong sa akin ’yon. (I followed the process, I didn’t become negative, because it helped me.)”

Out of rehab

After cleaning up, Gina walked out of rehab, bummed a cigarette from the first person she saw, and took a deep drag. It was her first taste of freedom in nearly two years.

“I started from scratch,” she recalls. “Ganoon naman talaga, lalo na sa presyo. Basta lang makaahon ako, makaarte uli. Mababaw lang naman ang kaligayahan ko. (That’s the way it is, especially when it comes to my fees. It was just to get back on my feet, just to act again. I’m easy to please.) I started from zero, I had no money, tapos bungi-bungi pa ako kasi nasira sa drugs (I had bad teeth from all the drugs).”
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2006 at 01:49 PM by surfsam »

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 01:49 PM »
Broke and toothless, Gina picked herself up, dusted herself off, and went on with her life, with the same kind of pluck and good humor that often distinguished her onscreen characters, and which probably accounts for her lasting appeal.

As far as she can recall, Gina has only had one dream.

“Noong bata pa lang ako, pag tinatanong ako kung ano ang gusto ko paglaki ko, ang sagot ko palagi, ‘Gusto kong maging artista,’” says Gina. “Talagang iisa lang ambisyon ko bata pa lang ako. (When I was a child, whenever someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I’d say, ‘I want to be an actress.’ I only had one ambition, even as a child).”

The actress was born Geraldine Acthley in 1950. Her mother, Patricia Dory Ocura, originally hailed from Bacolod City. Her father, Bouffard Acthley, was a German-American who stayed in Manila long enough to father Gina, but not long enough for her to remember him.

“That’s why all I remember as family growing up was Mommy and me, because she was also an only child and she never remarried,” Gina recalls in Filipino. “Wala akong lolo, lola, ate o pinsan. Takilyera si Mommy sa Mayfair Theater sa may Avenida, siya yung nagpupunit ng ticket. (I had no grandparents, sisters, or cousins. Mommy was the ticket girl at the Mayfair Theater on Avenida, she tore the tickets).”

Drawn to movies

Gina grew up in an entresuelo (mezzanine flat) in the rough-and-tumble neighborhood of Gagalangin, Tondo. It wasn’t so much her mother’s job as a ticket taker at the Mayfair that drew her to the movies, as some inborn need that made her want to perform.

“We didn’t have a TV then,” she recalls. “I really just wanted to act. It was in my blood. When I was home and Mommy was at work, I was free to act as much as I wanted on the street corners.”

When she was 3, the entresuelo burned down. The fire erased all traces of Bouffard Acthley, although her mother told her that she was the spitting image of her father, a female version.

From an early age, Gina had to pitch in to make ends meet. When she was 10 or 11 years old, she actually drove a tricycle near Bormaheco, near J.P. Rizal. “We were living on Sampaguita St. Near Zapote St. there was a tricycle stand, at ako lang ang kaisa-isang babae na pumapasada. Dahil nag-iisa akong babae, palagi nila akong binibigyan ng tip. Akala nga nila tomboy ako. Gerry ang tawag nila sa akin. Tapos nagtitinda ako ng maruya pag araw ng Linggo, umiikot ako sa karerahan, sa may Hipodromo. (I was the only girl who drove a tricycle, so I was always getting a tip. They thought I was a tomboy, and they called me Gerry. Then I sold fried bananas on Sundays, I would go around the racetrack.) Survival, eh. I had to earn money.”

Years later, when she was signing autographs at the lobby of the Life Theater in her first movie premiere, someone asked her if she was Gerry, the tricycle driver. She replied proudly, “Oo, pero hindi na ako tricycle driver, artista na ako ngayon. (I’m no longer a tricycle driver, I’m an actress now.)”

Dancing queen

The Beatles were on the radio when Gina got her first break. In 1964, she won a dance contest on the TV program “Dance-O-Rama,” then hosted by Pete and Boots Anson Roa. She was chosen “Miss Dance-O-Rama Queen of the Day,” then “Miss Dance-O-Rama Queen of the Week.”

That was all it took. One day the postman delivered a slip of paper to her home. It was a call slip from Sampaguita Studios. On it, Dr. Jose “Doc” Perez, the studio head, had written: “Please see me immediately.”

Apparently, he had seen her on TV and spotted star quality. Gina jumped at the chance, even though she was only in her second year of high school at the Immaculate Conception school in Balut, Tondo. It was a moot point anyway, since the good sisters kicked her out when she entered show business.

Back then, they did things differently in the movies, especially in Sampaguita Pictures. Potential stars were carefully chosen and slowly groomed, often over a period longer than the average show business career today, before they were given their first big break. Gina spent her first eight months as an extra, for three pesos per appearance. She then graduated to small supporting roles, often playing the sister of the leading lady, usually Liberty Ilagan or Susan Roces.

Sampaguita Studios was like a finishing school, Gina says. Stars-in-training were taken under the wing of Marichu Maceda—“Manay Ichu”—to learn the social graces, which clothes were suitable for daywear and which for evening, which spoon to use for which dinner course, and so on.

“Never wear white shoes after 5 p.m., I still remember, unless they’re satin,” she recalls. “Kung hindi, pauuwiin ka. Ako madalas mapauwi. May pagka-loka-loka ako, eh. Papagalitan ka naman ni Dr. Perez pag napauwi ka. (Otherwise, they would send you home. I got sent home a lot. I was a bit crazy. Then Dr. Perez would scold you if you got sent home.) ‘See me immediately,’ ‘Please see me without fail.’ I would collect my call slips.”

She also got fines for coming late to shoots. “Fifty pesos ang binabawas sa sweldo. Every Thursday ang sweldo noon. Isang pelikula noon P8,000, hahatiin nila ng weekly. Pero yung mga damit provided nila, mga Pitoy Moreno. Dadamitan ka, pati sa mga interview. Pero masaya kami doon, parang may pamilya ka. (They would deduct P50 from your salary. Thursdays were paydays. You got P8,000 a movie, but they’d divide it weekly. But they provided the clothes, Pitoy Moreno. They really took care of you, even for interviews. We were happy then, it was like you had a family.)”

In Star 66

After two years, the studio bosses felt she was ready, and the newly-christened Gina Pareño was launched as a member of Star 66, Sampaguita’s crop of young stars that included Loretta Marquez, Blanca Gomez, Rosemarie Sonora, Sarah Calvin, Shirley Moreno, Dindo Fernando, Edgar Salcedo, Ricky Belmonte, Ramil and Pepito Rodriguez.

Gina proved to be the wild card in the bunch. Where most of the Star 66 bunch were prim and proper to the point of being stiff-necked, Gina exuded an unmistakable sexuality. For one thing, she was the only one who could properly fill out a bikini. (This was long before surgical augmentation became routine procedure.)

For another, she possessed an irrepressible streak, which nearly nipped her career in the bud. Gina had been given increasingly prominent roles, playing opposite Eddie Gutierrez in “Eddie Longlegs.” In 1968, she was to be launched in her first starring role opposite Lolita Rodriguez in “Mama,” when she became pregnant.

“Pinagalitan ako ni Doc Perez,” she recalls. “Hindi pa lumalabas ang unang pelikula na bida ako, buntis ako!(Doc Perez got mad at me. I hadn’t even come out in my first movie as a lead actress, and I was pregnant!)”

In those days, when women who became pregnant out of wedlock were still called “disgrasyada,” something like this could easily have been a career-ender. Sampaguita did their best at damage control, but with little help from Gina.

“Of course that was supposed to be kept hidden, you weren’t supposed to be going out, but I was very open so I got scolded a lot,” she recalls in Filipino. “Sabi ko nga swerte na lang ako. Nakasanayan lang ako ng tao nang ganoon. (I was just lucky, people got used to me being like that.)”

First comeback

In 1969, after she had given birth to her firstborn, a son, Gina made the first of her four comebacks playing the sexiest Darna up to that time in “Darna at ang Planetman,” opposite Vic Vargas. Gina got noticed for her prominent cleavage in the Darna costume, as much as for her performance.

By the time her contract with Sampaguita expired in 1974, Gina was ready to strike out on her own as a freelance talent. But she would still drop out periodically, usually when she was romantically involved and/or pregnant. She would have two more children, another son and a daughter Jannica, who recently tried her hand in showbiz. (Her eldest son has since passed away.)

The pressures of show business life always ended up straining her relationships, however, and Gina ended up like her mother, a single parent.

“I guess that’s the way it is,” she shrugs. “Nothing is permanent. The nature of my work is different, so they don’t understand. Maya’t-maya magpapaliwanag ka, nakakapagod, kaya bandang huli nagkakatampuhan na kayo. (You have to keep explaining, it’s tiring, so eventually you have a falling out.)”

She may have been unlucky in love, but she’s always been lucky in her career. How many actors have been around for four decades? Gina’s Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB) filmography lists 70 entries, some of them landmarks of Philippine cinema such as Ishmael Bernal’s 1984 “Working Girls.”

While the rest of Star 66 have long since faded into memory, Gina is still around and still going strong. It might have been her versatility that ensured her longevity: first known as a sexy comedienne, she could also handle a bit of action.

Now that she has acquired the necessary gravitas, she is also favored for dramatic roles. Jeturian, for instance, already had her in mind for the title character in “Kubrador,” having worked with her before in “Pira- pirasong Pangarap.”

“Tanong ko sa kanya, paano atake doon (I asked him, how should I approach this)?” she recalls. “He said, ‘You don’t have to act. Effortless. Just relax.’”

Hurdling tragedy

The death of her long-time companion a few years ago was yet another tragedy to hurdle, but Gina has survived. Last year she became a household name for audiences who weren’t even born yet when she first played Darna, as Angel Locsin’s grandmother in the “Darna” teleseries. With “Kubrador,” Gina is in the middle of a full-fledged renascence, and she says her acting chops are better than they’ve ever been. (She also admits that she’s had a little work done on her face.)

“I’m more sensitive now, sobra, especially with emotions—I have so much to draw from,” she says in Filipino. “Grabe, I have so many experiences. Ang mga nangyayari sa iyo, sa umpisa masakit, habang nangyayari pa sa iyo, pero later on, magagamit mo. (The things that happen to you, they hurt while they’re happening to you, but you can use them later on.)

“Pero siyempre, you have to filter everything you’ve been through,” Gina qualifies. “You have to choose what was right and what was wrong. Mayroon kasing iba, dumaan na diyan pero parang absent. Dapat aware ka. Dapat bawa’t araw mo sa mundo, mararamdaman mo. (There are others who have been there, but it’s like they were absent. You have to be aware. Every day you spend in this world, you have to feel it).”

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 01:50 PM »
'Kubrador' sa Toronto!

Billy Balbastro

It has been the indies (independent films and producers) which have been winning awards and giving glorious moments and recognition to the Philippines lately.

Maryo delos Reyes’ Magnifico, (2003); Mario O’Hara’s Babae sa Breakwater, (2004); Dante Mendoza’s Masahista and Auraeus Solito’s Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros made names and won awards in the many film festivals of the world.

Now it seems that it is Jeffrey Jeturian’s digital movie, Kubrador (The Bet Collector) which is also set to win honors for the country in spite of hard times at home.

It had its international premiere at the 28th Moscow International Film Festival last June 27 and where on July 2, Kubrador won its first FIPRESCI (international film critics) award.

So far, this year, Kubrador, directed by Jeffrey Jeturian for Atty. Joji Alonso and MLR Films, starring Gina Pareño, made it to the 8th Osian Cine Fan Festival of Asian Cinema in New Delhi, India (July 14 to 23).

It has also been invited to four more: 11th Pusan International Film Festival (October 12 to 20), Hawaii filmfest (October 19 to November 5), Sao Paolo (Brazil) filmfest (October 20 to November 2) and Thessaloniki (Greece) filmfest (November 7 to 24). As we go to press we got word that it will be in Toronto filmfest in September.

For the first time in her acting career which dates back to being a member of five love teams launched by the late Doc Jose Perez in Sampaguita Pictures as Stars ‘66 some 40 years ago, Gina Pareño won the best actress award last July 23 at New Delhi, an international award at that.

At the Osian Cine Fan Festival held at the Siri Fort 1 Cinema Complex in New Delhi, Atty. Joji’s film almost made a grand slam. Gina won best actress and Kubrador won best picture. Earlier it won the FIPRESCI (international film critics) award – its second critics prize.

So Jeffrey (who attended the awards rites with Gina) in accepting the honor said: "I am actually starting to love the critics. Thank you to the jury for believing in our films, for this affirmation of the same award we won in Moscow three weeks ago. Thank you again for placing your bets on us."

When Gina was named best actress, she made use of some expressions the daughter of our ambassador to India, Laura Quiambao del Rosario taught her earlier.

She tried recalling her acceptance speech: "Namaste, bhahut, bhahut, daniwad. Thank you for you lives our film. Kubrador, The Bet Collector is a labor for love, everyone contributed to it. Aap Sab ko mera pyar. I will treasure this forever. I also want to thank MLF Films and Atty. Joji Alonso for believing in me. Thank you very much, bhahut bhahut. Daniwad."

When he accepted the best film award, Jeffrey told the audience:

"Thank you to New Delhi for this wonderful experience.

"To the jury and the Osian Cinefan Festival, thank you for this recognition. Our film Kubrador is about taking chances. We as filmmakers took a chance in making this serious, non-mainstream film.

"We don’t even know how this will fare at the box office when we show this back home. But this award, and the reaction of the people whose lives and hearts we’ve touched with the film, makes us feel like we’ve won the jackpot already. Thank you very much."

Surely, people behind Kubrador consider the honors their film has initially won in foreign festivals as a good starting point for publicity for the movie.

It’s time for Kubrador to be shown to Filipinos, to hit the theaters perhaps here before it goes again to another foreign festival.

http://www.abante.com.ph/issue/july3006/main.htm
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2006 at 02:24 PM by surfsam »

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 02:24 PM »

Jeffrey Jeturian's KUBRADOR, winner of major prizes at Moscow and New Delhi, will finally be shown in in Metro Manila Theaters on August 16, 2006.

It will be screened simultaneously in the following theaters:

SM North EDSA
SM Mall of Asia
SM Megamall
Glorietta 4
Gateway in Cubao
Robinson's Ermita
Cinerama Recto.

We used to complain about trashy Filipino films. Here is one film that dares to go against trash and formula pervading mainstream cinema today.

If you are Filipino, if you love your country, and if you really care about the future of Philippine Cinema please support films like KUBRADOR.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 06:16 PM »
Gina Pareno had her share of sexy comic roles, most notably in Luciano B. Carlos' KAYOD SA UMAGA, KAYOD SA GABI.

Regal films first foray in producing movies.
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2006 at 07:04 PM by keating »

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:

http://www.abante-tonite.com/issue/july3106/showbiz_bb.htm

Merong 52 playdates sa buong taon kaya hindi namin maunawaan kung bakit nagsasagupaan pa ang mga Pinoy movies sa isang playdate.

To think na wala nang 30 movies ang nagagawa rito sa bansa sa bawat taon na ipalalabas sa commercial theaters.

Nagkaroon ng May 31 playdate ang Manay Po ng Regal at ang All About Love ng Star Cinema. Kumita ang dalawang pelikula kahit magkasabay na ipinalabas ang mga ito.

Lahat, nagsasabi na kung hindi sila magkasabay, mas malaki pa ang kinita nila sa Metro Manila.

In three month’s time, mauulit ang nangyari sa Regal at Star Cinema. Sa August 30, muling magsasabay ang mga pelikula ng ABS-CBN at ni Mother Lily.

It will be Sam Milby-Toni Gonzaga movie ng Star Cinema, ang You Are The One sa direksyon ni Cathy Garcia Molina VERSUS the Dingdon Dantes-Iza Calzado film ng Regal directed by Mark Reyes.

Hindi lang iyon ang mangayyari sa buwan ng Agosto.

Matagal nang naka-schedule ang pelikulang Kubrador sa mid-August playdate, sa August 16.

Dahil naniniwala si Atty. Joji Alonso, ang producer, na magandang publicity kung maipapalabas ito sa mga foreign festivals. At lalong magiging matunog ito kung mananalo ng awards abroad.

Tamang-tama. Nasali ang Kubrador sa 28th Moscow film festival at noong nakaraang July 2 ay nanalo ito ng international film critics prize (FIPRESCI).

In competition din ito sa nakaraang Osian’s 8th Cine Fan Festival of Asian Cinema (July 14 to 27). Muli, nanalo ito ng FIPRESCI prize plus two more: best film at best actress (Gina Pareño).

With four awards, naging matunog na sa takilya ang Kubrador para sa August 16 playdate.

Pero ang pelikula ng OctoArts, ang Oh My Ghost (bida sina Rufa Mae Quinto at Marvin Agustin) ay sasabay sa August 16 playdate. Umiwas sila sa August 30 pero isang indie at non-mainstream picture ang kakalabanin nila sa August 16 playdate.

"Wala na kasi kaming lilipatan," sabi sa amin ni Atty. Joji.

Naalala ko tuloy ang Mindanao, kung saan Pinoy vs. Pinoy.

Ganyan din sa takilya ngayon among Pinoy films. Sila-sila, naglalaban sa takilya.

Offline edsa77

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 05, 2006 at 12:03 PM »
Osian Cinefan pics

Offline surfsam

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 06, 2006 at 04:52 PM »
Kubrador: The horrifying truth

FREEHAND
MARIO E. BAUTISTA

LOCAL viewers today go only for feel-good romantic films (“All About Love”, “Moments of Love”) or horror films (“White Lady”, “Sukob”). That is why Director Jeffrey Jeturian’s “Kubrador” is the most daring local film we’ve seen in years. It’s not only politically brave, but also very daring on the part of producer Atty. Jojit Alonso to produce a film that has very little commercial consideration. The film presumes that the viewer is intelligent enough so it does not spoonfeed him with various details. Instead, the viewer has to figure out for himself what exactly are the film’s various political and socially relevant messages, especially after its seemingly abrupt ending.

As a starter, let us quote here the exact words of the film’s prologue: “Jueteng is a numbers game that has been popular in the Philippines since the Spanish colonial period. It is officially illegal, but jueteng operators may be found all over the country. Millions of people depend on jueteng for their livelihood. It is so lucrative that the big jueteng operators are said to wield undue influence over politicians, the military, the police, and even the church. In the year 2000, the President of the Philippines was charged with accepting payoffs from jueteng, and was subsequently deposed.  More recently, the current president, her husband (and son) were accused of having links to jueteng.”

What is happening in our society is then shown in the eyes of Amy (Gina Pareño in the best performance of her life and career), a bet collector whose husband, Eli (Fonz Deza), is a bum who can’t even help her tend their small sari-sari store. They have three kids. Mona is an OFW and is never seen. Juvy has many kids and lives in dire poverty with her husband who’s often jobless. Her only son, Eric, is dead, but appears as an apparition in a soldier’s uniform.

The film follows Amy’s life starting two days before Todos Los Santos and ending at the North Cemetery on All Saint’s Day. It starts with her praying the rosary in front of her small altar and praying that “sana po ay huwag naman akong mahuli ngayon”.

She then goes on her job  of collecting bets and gets arrested by cops. But it turns out the police officer at the precinct where she is taken is also her customer, places a bet through her, then lets her go.

The next day, she goes back to her routine, meeting their parish priest who tells her that a young man died, the victim of hit and run. She then becomes the ‘priest’ representative to ask for donations or abuloy from their other neighbors. As she goes around the maze-like alleys in their squalid neighborhood, Amy gets lost and ends up in a deadend several times, a sure indication that something is going wrong in her life.

When she later reports to her “kabo” or handler to remit all the bets she collected that day, she learns he has the flu and she is delegated to represent him in the jueteng draw held at a secret location in the ricefields. When the jueteng supervisor (Joe Gruta) arrives, he says that there will no longer be a draw as their boss has rigged it and just gave them the numbers he wanted to win. One of Amy’s bettors wins and she goes to their cashier (Johnny Manahan) to get the cash prize and also asks a donation for the hit and run victim.

When she returns home, her lazy husband tells her he forgot to give her a bet from a neighbor and it turned out the numbers the neighbor has chosen have won. The neighbor forces them to pay. Amy goes out again to borrow money to pay the neighbor.

As she leaves home, we see their neighbors lighting candles in preparation for Todos Los Santos.

The following morning, Amy and her entire family go to the cemetery to visit her dead son. There, they see Eric’s former girlfriend, a nurse, who came to bring flowers for his grave. Amy’s husband continues to annoy her so she leaves them and takes a walk, where an accident resulting from road rage will be the culmination of a series of events that finally shocks Amy in realizing how wounded she really is.

One of the best things in the film is Robert Yñiguez’ cinematography that captures the texture and ambiance its story’s particular milieu: the slums. His camera unabashedly explores all the nooks and crannies of the neighborhood, along with the similarly meaningful sound design. The film is shot with a handheld digital camera that gives it a documentary-like feel. It is later blown up into 35 mm. film and the  quality of the transfer is definitely superior. This is apparent from the opening scene where the camera follows another bet collector, Toti, in a very long, uninterrupted take. This sequence ends with Toti being chased by a cop over the rooftops of various shanties.

It’s a risky proposition for a filmmaker to humanize someone who’s doing something illegal like Amy, especially in these times when viewers prefer their characters to be reduced to black or white. Jeturian and writer Ralston Jover have crafted a potent film that peels away the stereotypes and comes up with a lead character that gives us some food for thought. They enhance their material with touches of humor and compassion, but they are unwavering in showing great conviction in their attempt to bring the sharp issues raised by their story to the screen. They let the viewer understand what really happens behind the jueteng phenomenon (where there’s complicity between the financiers and law enforcers, and where both politicians and even the clergy benefit) without making simplistic conclusions.

Gina as Amy makes a fine central figure in the process. She might have an unlawful job, willing to take her work as far as it can go, but she remains a kind-hearted mother and person who endears herself to the viewer as she sincerely wants to help others. In the end, she is a mere pawn in the numbers game who toils futilely for her family, leaving us with troubling questions about our very corrupt society.

Jeturian has previously explored this team in “Pila Balde”, but this film is his most thought-provoking work so far. The truth is it’s really more scary than “Sukob” or any other horror film, simply because it is REAL and we shudder at the thought of how the likes of Amy and the rest of our other marginalized countrymen are trapped in a society where the rich and the powerful continue to exploit them.

http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?page=news&id=8945&sid=6&urldate=2006-08-06

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 07, 2006 at 09:58 AM »
Big poster along ATC cinema promoting "Kubrador" I will definitely watch, and drag everyone i know to see this film. I'm so psych.  ;D

I even bought "Minsan Pa" DVD of J. Jeturian in anticipation for Kubrador.  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 08, 2006 at 09:48 PM »
The trailer is now on-line at www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4UjbiJM1ms

8)

I hope this film will last for a week in the theatres.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2006 at 09:53 PM by keating »