Author Topic: Pinoy Idol  (Read 32802 times)

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pinoy Idol
« on: Mar 31, 2006 at 01:12 PM »
I read in another thread that Ryan Cayabyab is the first judge. I think he is the best musician in the country right now so he is the perfect pick.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2008 at 02:20 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Re: Philippine Idol
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2006 at 01:31 PM »
Whoops. Didn't see this here.

Close that other thread.

It officially starts June 2006. 

Anyone planning to try to audition?

What do you guys think should be the themes?

Who do you think should host/judge?

Yes, Ryan Cayabyab will be one of the judges (excellent choice, btw). There will be two other judges and not one but TWO hosts.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2006 at 10:40 AM »
Ryan Agoncillo has been tapped to be one of the hosts.

Offline garfield_3199

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Votre vie vraie est celle que vous avez.
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2006 at 09:41 PM »

Can he do it? I  saw him do the morning show and i wasn't impressed. Hopefully the producers made the right choice. i was kinda batting for KC Montero.  :(

Sino kaya yung 2nd host?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2006 at 10:10 PM »
I hear that the other two judges will be Lea Salonga and Martin Nievera. I'm not 100% sure though.

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2006 at 01:39 AM »
super bongga naman to the max kung judges din talaga sina lea salonga at martin nievera.

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006 at 11:07 PM »

Yikes!! He buckles and he's bulol! KC Montero would be perfect!

Lea Salonga? Nahhh..Mataas masyado standards niya and she doesn't like R&B style of singing. Let's face it. A lot of singers are veering to that vocal styling..

And we need a judge that could match Simon Cowell tongue-with-tongue...Acidic yet witty, realistic and oftentimes, fair..So please lang, NO to Fritz Ynfante and Boy Abunda!! They are trying hard critics. I would prefer SYLVIA LA TORRE pa. And why not her? She would be, as Paula Abdul usually says, "a breath of fresh air!"

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006 at 12:50 PM »
Here's the official site: http://www.philippineidol.com/

Offline philippine-idol

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006 at 12:14 AM »
Another website for Philippine Idol is http://www.philippine-idol.com . Visit and see any new updates about Philippine Idol .

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006 at 01:25 PM »
Lea Salonga would be a welcome addition to the supposedly judges.  Para naman matigil na ang kaka-sigaw e este belt-out ng mga singers natin! If not, consultant na lang siguro.  I like the fact that, despite how good her voice is, she still managed to ask for vocal coaching to improve.  Now, if only our other artists would do so and not remain contented with how their voice sounds esp RV...
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006 at 02:49 PM »
That is also what I noticed with a lot of our singing contests. Puro sila mga power balladeers. Puro mga Martin/Regine wannabes. Unlike sa American Idol, meron sila mga rockers, R&B, crooners, etc. We often equate good singing with over-singing.

For instance, I (well, our maid really) was watching Little Big Star (the one hosted by Sarah "I wanna punch her face because of her over-cheerfulness" Geronimo). They had a boy in it (half-African-American, half-Filipino) who actually sang R&B and did it quite well. He lost of course to the little Regine Velasquez wannabe who went for the big notes and frankly oversang the song.

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006 at 11:45 PM »
^
and THAT BOY actually sung a Mariah Carey song! i don't know why he won!

yeah, sarah's hosting is irritating me, too! not only because of her cheerfulness but because of her "jologs na jolgs" type of hosting!  sa kabila naman, even RV's talking voice is into the highest mode of screeching!
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006 at 04:39 PM »
From the Inquirer:
The 2 other judges are Francis Magalona and Pilita Corrales. :-\
 I would have picked them as guest judges or performers in the finale like Dionne Warwick ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006 at 04:40 PM by halvert »

Offline alcobobaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006 at 12:44 AM »
WHAT why of all the people them??

Offline garfield_3199

• Collector
  • Votre vie vraie est celle que vous avez.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006 at 12:54 AM »
From the Inquirer:
The 2 other judges are Francis Magalona and Pilita Corrales. :-\

As Doc Izzy of Grey's Anatomy would say..." Seriously????"

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006 at 01:04 AM by garfield_3199 »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006 at 12:55 AM »
You're forgetting Pilita Corrales was co-host of Ang Bagong Kampyon and I heard Francis Magalona has been a judge on local talent circuits and I hear he's very verbose and spot-on with his criticisms.

Offline Mr. Big Boy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Addict
  • Big Better Bolder
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006 at 07:58 PM »
Francis M and Pilita as judges in Philippine Idol?  Wala na bang ibang pwede?  I would be more happy kung si Tito Pepe pa ang kinuha nila as one of the Judges kung kukuha na rin lang sila ng oldies.  As for Francis M what's his credentials to judge and siya nga mismo di makakanta ng ok eh.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006 at 08:59 PM »
As for Francis M what's his credentials to judge and siya nga mismo di makakanta ng ok eh.

Like Paula Abdul? ;D (Well to her credit, may Grammy naman yata siya.  ;D )

FrancisM produces rap albums and a takes care of unknown artists who need a good start in the biz. ;)

Pilita & Francis  --- a mix of the old and the young. Ryan takes care of the technical (?) side of singing. I think this is a good mix. Give it/them a chance. ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006 at 09:00 PM by CrUzAC[k]H »

Offline blitzkrieg

• DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006 at 09:20 PM »
 ;D I have no problem with Pilita Corrales being a shoo-in for Lea Salonga. She has every right to be a judge:  legendary, classy and savvy great singer with long history of hosting a singing contest. Her vast experience as a performer and impeccable style (she delivers her lines with crisp and clarity mind you) could prove a real foil to all these Regine and Martin wannabes.  Honestly,  she could be a real b**ch without annoyance and could be the female counterpart of Simon Cowell. I am dying to hear her critiques!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006 at 09:24 PM by blitzkrieg »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006 at 09:22 PM »
I hope Francis M will not tolerate standard belters and balladeers... and Pilita Corrales, I think, knows talent when she sees it... She took part in the discovery of Gary V., and Jaya, among others... Not a bad mix I believe

Offline blitzkrieg

• DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006 at 09:35 PM »
I hope Francis M will not tolerate standard belters and balladeers... and Pilita Corrales, I think, knows talent when she sees it... She took part in the discovery of Gary V., and Jaya, among others... Not a bad mix I believe

Oggs, Pilita's biggest discovery is actually Jaya. She also acted as the manager until things went sour and then parted ways as we all know it. So she really knows talent when she sees one. I'm not sure though about Gary V.

BTW, Jaya's contemporary is Lani Misalucha as both debuted via the Metro Pop Songfest in 1995. I saw their performance and thought they'd become superstars someday.  How prophetic hehe..

And I don't mind if the judges in this contest opt for belters but I hope they get those in the mold of Lani M. or Jaya coz these singers have patented musical styles.   
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006 at 09:39 PM by blitzkrieg »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 01, 2006 at 01:21 AM »

I don't mind standard belters and balladeers but it seems to me this is the ONLY type contestants that appear or are favored on local singing talent shows. All Regine and/or Martin wannabes. Pataasan lang ng boses at pa-OA lang ang kanta, panalo na.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 01, 2006 at 01:20 PM »
Oggs, Pilita's biggest discovery is actually Jaya. She also acted as the manager until things went sour and then parted ways as we all know it. So she really knows talent when she sees one. I'm not sure though about Gary V.

BTW, Jaya's contemporary is Lani Misalucha as both debuted via the Metro Pop Songfest in 1995. I saw their performance and thought they'd become superstars someday.  How prophetic hehe..

And I don't mind if the judges in this contest opt for belters but I hope they get those in the mold of Lani M. or Jaya coz these singers have patented musical styles.   

If I'm not mistaken, Gary V's first break after his stint with Kundirana is with Pilita Corrales' television show... Gary V even lived with Corrales when the former's house burned down...

Offline RAINMAN

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 02, 2006 at 04:49 PM »
I just hope Francis M doesnt end up saying..."We've got a hot one here tonight!" or "You're a member of the dog pound!"

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 25, 2006 at 04:42 PM »
it's the cover story for the latest issue of newsbreak...

Finally, Philippine Idol
The show that democratized television viewing is now in the country

Jasmin Trias won’t do anymore. Hers is a blue passport, after all. The Philippines is finally having its very own Idol.

Emotions ran high at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) on June 4. Despite earlier audition schedules, about 2,000 Philippine Idol winner wannabes showed up that day. Among them was Justice Regontola from Quezon City. He failed to impress the judges, thus ending his dream to become the first Philippine Idol winner. But he will go into the record book as entrant 0001, the first official Philippine Idol wannabe, for being at the PICC’s Gate 2 at 12:30 p.m. that day.

Idol is a very expensive talent search program that originated in the UK in 2000 as Pop Idol. Filipino viewers are more familiar with the US franchise, American Idol, shown on cable channels and on ABC-5. Filipinos have been glued to the show so that, according to Google Trends, American Idol is googled most often in the Philippines, suggesting that we’re more curious about the show than the Americans.

The Idol format revolutionized TV viewing by turning viewers from couch potatoes to active stakeholders who can make or break a contestant, or the entire show for that matter.

Judges weed out the wannabes from thousands until there are only 12 of them. And that’s when the viewers start to take control in choosing the winners by calling in their votes or sending them through text messages. The format became a worldwide hit. For paying a fee of over P100 million, ABC-5 will be running the 35th Idol franchise starting this July.

read the whole story here:
http://newsbreak.com.ph/newsbreak/story.asp?id=401

« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2006 at 04:45 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 01, 2006 at 09:47 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eSIYfeVrhc ---  okay ang promo. 

But this group came out with a press release the other day about how little talent they found in Davao, they had nothing good to say for Davao. Ooops, wow mali. Davao is ABS-CBN country. Guess with that statement, the people there will surely watch Channel 2's Dream Academy instead of this one. Then again Dyogi wasn't also fond of Davao when he held PBB Auditions there a couple of months ago, though it wasn't in the press statements.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 01, 2006 at 02:26 PM »
as long as PI stays a weekly show... and dream academy a daily one... people should have no trouble following both.  ;D

hopefully they'll play it smart and schedule the galas of DA (dream academy. no... not you demented_angel. lol.) during weekends or close to it... while PI stays in midweek.  ;D

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jul 01, 2006 at 10:18 PM »
as long as PI stays a weekly show...

Read before that they plan to do daily PI (parang mura ang dating ng PI  ;D) episodes rin.....I guess parang Idol Extra or Inside Idol type. I dunno. They said this in reaction to the interview Dyogi said of Phil Idol/Dream Academy comparison....

If they do have this 2x performance/result, daily insider updates..... plus DA daily, then Rockstar Supernova 2x a week rin...parang magsasawa yata ako this July-August-Sept sa mga kantahan blues. ;D Australian Idol 5 is also premiering in Aug (?) and I am currently watching Canadian Idol's current run. LOL! Whew! Yoko na ng kantahan!  Connivance na ulit. ;D :P

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #28 on: Jul 01, 2006 at 10:48 PM »
as long as PI stays a weekly show... and dream academy a daily one... people should have no trouble following both.  ;D

It still will be problematic. In the UK, Pop Idol 2 ran simultaneously with Fame Academy 2, resulting in low ratings for both, and ultimately ENDING both franchises.

Although I felt both shows had far less interesting (and less attractive) contestants for their second seasons, and I personally think that's what really caused their downfalls.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2006 at 10:57 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jul 02, 2006 at 04:11 AM »
Read before that they plan to do daily PI (parang mura ang dating ng PI  ;D) episodes rin.....I guess parang Idol Extra or Inside Idol type. I dunno. They said this in reaction to the interview Dyogi said of Phil Idol/Dream Academy comparison....

If they do have this 2x performance/result, daily insider updates..... plus DA daily, then Rockstar Supernova 2x a week rin...parang magsasawa yata ako this July-August-Sept sa mga kantahan blues. ;D Australian Idol 5 is also premiering in Aug (?) and I am currently watching Canadian Idol's current run. LOL! Whew! Yoko na ng kantahan!  Connivance na ulit. ;D :P

that's sad... because if PI goes daily... eh, di "copycat" show na siya.

personally, i prefer the OT/fame/SA style of reality show. there's more opportunities to really feel connected with the contestants kasi, because it's a daily show. unfortunately, the idol franchise edges them out naman when it comes to glitz and pomp.

GRABE! i didn't realize you gusy were still following ALL the idol franchises. LOL... that's true tho... all that singing can lead to "idol" burnout. LOL.

It still will be problematic. In the UK, Pop Idol 2 ran simultaneously with Fame Academy 2, resulting in low ratings for both, and ultimately ENDING both franchises.

Although I felt both shows had far less interesting (and less attractive) contestants for their second seasons, and I personally think that's what really caused their downfalls.  ;D

LOL... that's true. i've never really been impressed with the way pop idol and fame academy did their casting...  :-\

on a positive note... x-factor 2 winner shayne ward seems to be doing well (new single this month... naturally, a remake. LOL.)... so, hopefully x-factor will be back for a 3rd series.  :P
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2006 at 04:24 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »