Author Topic: Pinoy Idol  (Read 32803 times)

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Philippine Idol
« Reply #30 on: Jul 13, 2006 at 11:10 PM »
 ;D Start your engines!! Philippine Idol to premiere on JULY 29, 2006 at 8pm on ABC 5.  

How come there's not much promo? Or I have not been reading the news lately..

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #31 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 05:47 PM »
It's on in about 2 hours.

Is it just me (and blitz above), or did ABC 5 drop the ball in promoting this? For such a major investment on a hugely successful franchise, it doesn't seem to have even half the buzz that Pinoy Big Brother did. If I didn't happen to catch a station plug while channel surfing just now, I would've completely forgotten about tonight's premiere.  ???
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2006 at 06:07 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 06:27 PM »
wasn't there a half-page ad in the paper today about it's premiere?  ???

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 10:16 PM »
Just saw it. I think the judges need to be a hell of lot more interesting if they expect the show to last more than 2 seasons.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #34 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 10:39 PM »
Not bad, IMO.

The judges aren't as fun and dynamic as Simon, Paula and Randy but I think they need a few more episodes so they can establish their personas.

A couple of interesting singers. I see that the U.S. is not the only country capable of having circus freaks audition. LOL.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Jul 30, 2006 at 10:47 PM »
The show's just ah-ight for me.  ::) What makes the Idol franchise different from all the other talent shows out there is not the contestants, it’s the judges – whether it be their snarky comments or their witty repartee. They have none. Even when the person deserves to be slapped for even auditioning in the first place, they get the “try again next year” line. Ryan C. isn’t menacing enough. Pilita is scary... looking. And Francis M.? He lets more people through than even Paula, with no logical justification whatsoever.

Also, unlike in most other countries, where Idol was a new reality show/talent search concept, there are way too many of these shows in the Philippines, some of which are in their Nth season. A lot of the undiscovered talent in our country seems to have been drained by those shows already, since quite honestly, I felt only one contestant was potentially world-class – the first girl they let through (and the first Idol contestant I’ve heard sing “Route 66” since Scat Girl three years ago). The other passables were the “Anak” guy and the two final girls of the night. But I didn’t feel the X-Factor in those three. The hula-guy was also surprisingly good, but as Simon would’ve said: He doesn’t LOOK like a (Philippine) Idol. Maybe he can “pull an Elliott” and get a major makeover.

Will tune in next week, of course. Hopefully there will be better judge chemistry... and honesty.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 05:41 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 06:09 AM »
^ you didn't like "hindi ako jokla, babae ako" girl?? i thought she was hella hilarious! ... that part where she's near-sobbing from joy. picks up her mobile then says "hello ma"... only to discover it hadn't been dialled yet! precious! LOL... loudest i laughed in the entire show. and mr. c's right... her voice seemed good.

anime girl was also quite revelation... if she get's through, she's the probably the one who can pull off a "yamin" transformation.

i thought "anak" guy had a fair voice... but seriously, he's banking more on his looks than his talent.  ;D

didn't "route66" gal strike you as a bit too "kuh ledesma"-ish... auditionee pa lang, diva na. either that or she was channelling paris bennet.  ;D

same here, will catch the episode next week ... hopefully things will get a LOT better. (baka sakali may mang-away na sa judges... heh heh.  ::))
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 09:55 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 09:08 AM »
Doesn't the "Anak" guy look a bit like the late Rico Yan?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 09:59 AM »
^ not really... but he does exude that same "squeaky clean" vibe.  ;)

his singing actually reminds me of sam milby.

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #39 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:11 AM »
so who's the 'simon' among the judges? is it ryan c? i hope he doesn't wear t-shirts just to immitate simon  ;D

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:15 AM »
^ you didn't like "hindi ako jokla, babae ako" girl?? i thought she was hella hilarious! ... that part where she's near-sobbing from joy. picks up her mobile then says "hello ma"... only to discover it hadn't been dialled yet! precious! LOL

Actually, my biggest laugh came seconds after, when Ryan A. finally got her mom on the phone, asked the contestant to read the yellow paper, then she starts and almost immediately cuts it off, saying "Sayang load!"

Ang Pinoy nga naman!  ;D

Oh, the judges also need a better acceptance line. There was no equivalent to American Idol's "You're going to Hollywood!" or Pop Idol's "You're going to London!"
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:21 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:19 AM »
yeah... that made me chuckle as well... i instantly fell in love with that girl. i hope she doesn't go all serious if she ever gets through.  ;) ;)

saan nga ba ang second round gagawin?? always figured they'd go back to PICC. LOL. maganda sana sa metropolitan... but that is so run down.  :(
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:25 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:21 AM »
so who's the 'simon' among the judges? is it ryan c? i hope he doesn't wear t-shirts just to immitate simon  ;D

Ryan C. is definitely the Simon, but he's merely intimidating but not witty. It really makes a huge difference.

Although I'd say Pilita is the Randy Jackson (self-proclaimed "discoverer of superstars" with occassional good points for the contestants) while Francis M. is the Paula-Abdul-in-the-first-two-seasons (absolutely useless and without any significant comments, just says yes to everyone as the lone "pity vote").

Ryan Agoncillo? He could be Ryan Seacrest... or Ant... or Dec... they're all interchangeable.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 05:42 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:26 AM »
doesn't francis strike you as the "feeling simon"... but is actually "the paula"?

totally agree on the tita pilitz/randy comparison... that's so correct!

i would LOOOOOVE to see mr. c throw a hissy-fit on national TV. LOL.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:42 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:34 AM »
I actually read somewhere that he does during our equivalent of the "Hollywood round" (i.e. the PICC round).

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:36 AM »
doesn't francis strike you as the "feeling simon"... but is actually "the paula"?

Yup. They have so much in common: they're both former pop stars of the 1980s who could actually dance a lot better than they could sing. Plus they both swoon and drool over the good looking contestants. They're practically twins.

And don't tell me Francis M. is different because he can rap. Paula rapped in Coldhearted, as well.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:37 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:41 AM »
Paula rapped in Coldhearted, as well.  ;D

wow! you know your paula abdul! LOL.  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:44 AM »
Had great seats to her concert at the Folk Arts Theatre.

Half-priced, at that!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:45 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 11:49 AM »
I actually read somewhere that he does during our equivalent of the "Hollywood round" (i.e. the PICC round).

now THAT'S something to look forward to, if it's true ... may lumipad kaya na silya? LOL.  ;)

Had great seats to her concert at the Folk Arts Theatre.

Half-priced, at that!  ;D

how come (how come) he can (he can) tell a (tell a) you're a (you're a)
always (always) number (number one without a doubt)

when a (when a) he is (he is) always (always) squirmin' (squirmin')
like a little snake under-a e-ver-y-a rock

you've been (you've been) workin' (workin') on the (on the love)
and he's been only only playing undercover all the while

take a (take another 'nother look into his eyes)
and you will on-ly see a rep-tile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6bWlAUFOM
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 11:50 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #49 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 02:47 PM »
what's their acceptance line?  You're going to PICC!!!  ???

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 02:50 PM »
^^
i guess... they just couldn't say that last night because they were already there.  :P

Online halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #51 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 03:10 PM »
i liked the tomboy-looking girl who sang a michael jackson song. fought for her cellphone and got shot in the head! also liked the hearing impaired girl. did not like the guy in the wig who was allowed to get through the second round purely for his entertainment value...

Offline blitzkrieg

• DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:43 PM »
 ;D My bet is on that anime girl with the yellow hair and dress...Her Voltes V rendition was a blast!! The judges immensely enjoyed her act. WHOA!! was my reaction when she segued to a standards ditty where she displayed her dynamic vocal range.. She really knows her voice placement and she sounded either like Carmen Soriano or Carmen Pateña to me haha!!
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 10:50 PM by blitzkrieg »

Offline Jermi

• Collector
  • I'm a llamat!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Aug 05, 2006 at 03:58 PM »
Paging ABC 5

I'm watching the first episode through Youtube coz I wasn't able to catch it.  Please study the camera angle.  Ang pangit yata na nakikita yung edge nung background, perhaps we should have either a bigger background or the POV moved to a better angle where you can just have the logo seen and not the wall.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2006 at 04:15 PM by Jermi »

Offline Jermi

• Collector
  • I'm a llamat!
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Aug 05, 2006 at 04:13 PM »
tsaka I would suggest that we have a P.A. hand them the golden ticket. It is very awkward that the judges are the ones doing that, it takes away some of the glamour from the judges, they are just there to judge, you don't let them get their own water, you don't let them hand out the tickets.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Aug 05, 2006 at 11:38 PM »
In Canadian Idol, the judges hand them the Golden Ticket too.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Aug 06, 2006 at 09:44 PM »
It's very telling that the only two contestants I thought had actual potential to be worthy of the title "Philippine Idol" were the transexual (scary!), and someone who wasn't even good enough to make it past the Top 50 on Australian Idol.

The number of weird applicants also shocks me, since unlike on American Idol, where more than half are clearly doing it intentionally for their 15 minutes of infamy, I think a vast majority of the scary ones here are actually serious. The preview of the Davao auditions looked promising, though.

I hope it's like the other Idol programs, where you just don't see many of the talented ones until the Top 24 has been selected.

Offline blitzkrieg

• DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Aug 06, 2006 at 10:20 PM »
It's very telling that the only two contestants I thought had actual potential to be worthy of the title "Philippine Idol" were the transexual (scary!), and someone who wasn't even good enough to make it past the Top 50 on Australian Idol.

Well to me he was a transvestite. He was never asked if he had a sex change or whatever anyway, but obviously had some load of female hormones. While the rest appeared unperturbed, Pilita, though appearing impressed, obviously wasn't sure whether to give a go-signal.

But thank God, the contestant really sounded very good, natural and cool during the audition process. Was Francis M. making a statement when he said he didn't give a horse's crap about the contestant's sexual orientation?

At any rate, things are going to get very interesting to me if that contestant made it to the Top 12.   ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Aug 06, 2006 at 10:50 PM »
his/her tranny name was hilarious! GO "YOBAB"! ha ha ha ha!... that's priceless.

no one really stood out for me here... is our talent pool thinning out? (or as hankey mentioned, are they saving the good ones for the final few episodes of the audition process?)

did francis mention "sexual orientation"?... i seem to remember him saying not caring about "gender"... sorry, bad memory. LOL. (yobab was certainly "different" tho ... and TOTALLY pulled it off.)

and what's with all the *nsync songs??  :P ... i need to laud stephanie ("miss oz idol") for a fantastic song choice... anastacia ROCKS! (learn from her auditionees. offbeat choices work. LOL... ) ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2006 at 10:51 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Aug 07, 2006 at 01:31 PM »
I thought the Cebu audition episode was better. The judges' personalities were a bit more developed and there were a couple of really interesting contestants.

I wonder if the tranny will get a YES from Simon. He was quite good even if his voice was that of a woman's.