Author Topic: Pinoy Idol  (Read 33039 times)

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Philippine Idol
« Reply #210 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 10:36 PM »
pupunta lang ba sa megamall para manood ng PI?
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #211 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 12:43 AM »
I was at Megamall earlier, and Idol is broadcast from Cinema 3 pala.

The Philippine Idol: The Final 12 CD is available already, apparently exclusively outside the theater, Php 305.

Tracks:

Drae - Hang On

Stef - Pangako

Pow - Nakapagtataka

Gian - Himala

Apple - Ngayon

Jeli - Iisa Pa Lamang

Jan - Tuwing Umuulan At Kapiling Ka

Arms - Araw Araw, Gabi Gabi

Reymond - Hindi Magbabago

Ken - Di Na Natuto

Mau - Minsan Lang Kita Iibigin

Miguel - Next In Line

Group Song - Kaleidoscope World

==========

I find it funny that Miguel's song is "Next In Line." Now that Ken's gone... could the title be prophetic?  ;D
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:16 AM »
Mr. Hankey, pipila lang ba sa C3 para manood ng PI? What time does one need to fall in line to get in?
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 08:23 PM »
Sorry jekoy, hindi ko alam. Hindi ko sinubukan manood. Napasilip lang ako nung nakita ko yung mga "Philippine Idol" banners and posters.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 09:01 PM »
You gotta LOVE Lea Salonga. In her first two sentences as a guest judge, she didn't comment on the singer yet, but already pointed out how stupid Francis and Pilita were as judges!

I'm gonna buy her CDs now...  ;D

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 09:17 PM »
you don't have her cds Mr Hankey?! tsk tsk tsk! you're missing a lot! hehehe...  ;D

start with her live performance cds, though!  ;)
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline garfield_3199

• Collector
  • Votre vie vraie est celle que vous avez.
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 09:32 PM »
Pow could say the same thing about Francis.. umalis na siya at bumalik.... he still doesn't know his job description, still doesn't know a thing about being a judge in a competition like this...still groping for words. ABC should have extended his vacation...it should have been an all expense paid trip until the season finale is over and done with.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 at 11:14 AM by garfield_3199 »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 09:43 PM »
It's justice enough for him to be back but STILL have a guest judge present on the show. That pretty much tells everyone that despite his being back, they still need an actual third judge on the show.  ;D

Offline jekoy

• DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 09:45 PM »
it seems like francis is trying his darndest to come up with sensible criticisms this time. BUT nagmukha lang siyang trying hard!
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #219 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 10:43 PM »
Lea was a fantastic guest judge. Francis M. further illustrates his uselessness as a judge.

Mau ruled it in the first round. Pow was the best in the second. Extra points for having the guts to sing a Miss Saigon song in front of Lea.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 11:10 PM »
Mau ruled it in the first round. Pow was the best in the second. Extra points for having the guts to sing a Miss Saigon song in front of Lea.

Exactly.  :)

Although he was clearly the worst of the night - anyone willing to bet that Miguel won't even be in the bottom three tomorrow?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 11:47 PM »
Miguel was "meh" with "Growing Up" and totally murdered "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" I hope he goes home.

Offline jayps

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • "was blind, but now I see..."
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 11:39 AM »
Round 1 Ranking:

1. Mau - she nailed the attitude. The voice was rock strong except for some high notes that didn't quite reach the exact pitch, medyo bitin ng konti ung iba. But she owned the song, and she's beggining to push the envelope in terms of her vocal range. Grade: A/A-

2. Gian - his most heartfelt and least affected performance so far. And his most understated and subtle performance yet. I agree with Lea you can feel what he was feeling. Mr.C was dead wrong about him not feeling the warmth of Gian's performance. Grade: A-/B+

3 Pow - she started good and quite in her element. But the head tone was not good, it showed her vocal limitations again. Lea was dead on! But I'm so glad a sane person finally said how unneccassry for Pow to wear a dress. Go Lea!!! Grade: B/B-

4. Jan - all the notes were dead on, effortless ang vocals and that was notable since he was hitting some high notes in the song. I just wished hindi ito ung song na kinanta nya. Gasgas na kasi e tska melodically repetitive. What was lacking was the gigil and stage presence. Medyo forgettable ng konti. Grade: B-

5. Miguel - MY EYES, MY EYES!!! The sight of Miguel dancing was just too creepy! The voice??? blahhh Grade: F

Round 2 Ranking:

1-2 (TIE) Gian - in terms of performance it was the best, vocally speaking nothing really notable, I would even call it mediocre. I could not understand half of what he was singing. But in terms of the moves and the dancing ans stage presence, he brought the house down! Grade: A-/B+

1-2 (TIE) Jan- vocally speaking it was the best number of Round 2. The climax of the song was really impressive, there was a builup and he just went for the big notes. I'm so glad Lea said how gorgeous his vocie was, because that's what I've been saying from the start. He has the most attractive voice among the finalists. But just like what the judges say, kulang sa spontaneity and naturalness ung moves. I especially cringed when he did that little dance during the change of tempo. I was thinking, nagiba ba ung kanta? Kasi hindi appropriate ung moves nya. Grade: A-/B+

3. Pow - I don't know, I did not like it that much. Kulang sa passion and strength ung performance. This is such an emotional and powerful song, and I did not feel it in her performance. It lacked conviction and that raw emotion. Grade: B

4. Mau - when I saw the lineup, I knew it was the wrong song for her. Her performance lacked drama, projection, emotion, passion, and vocal wow. This song is a showstopper and sadly the show did not stop with her performance. But she was still good even though the song was obvioulsy out of Mau's vocal range. It's just that with this song, it's either you go all out or it's not gonna be as effective and memorable. Grade: B-

5. Miguel - that was not good all. The song was too rangy for him. Ang daming flats. Lea's kindergarten comment was a hoot. Grade: F

Bottom 3
Should Be:

3. Jan
2. Pow
1. Miguel - ELIMINATED

Will Be: (Predictions)

3. Miguel (I have a gut feeling this will happen)
2. Gian
1. Pow - ELIMINATED

Quote of the night:
(not verbatim)
"May award ako sa iyo Mau, best supporting extra" (Mr C.) - I was thinking the same thing, when I saw the clip, I was thinking sino bang contestant dito si Mau o si Brad Turvey?

The Judges

Lea Salonga - This is why I love her. She nailed the job. She was direct to the point without being rude. She knows what she's talking about.

Francis M - this is it! He should be replaced next season. He brings nothing to the table. ganun pa rin ung mga comments nya!

Ryan Cayabyab - ang tipid naman nya. parang tinatamad sya magcomment. And I did not agree with some of his comments (no warmth at Gian's 1st song, Mau panalo sa 2nd song)

Pilita Corales - I love her (guilty pleasure) hehhe. With or without sense, she always brings the craziness and the fun in the show.

Random Thoughts:

- best actor of the night??? wala sa top 5 idols, surprsingly it was Jeli! O man that girl can act. In those few seconds she was able to show the goods. I would not be surprised if she becomes an actress.

- I just love the energy (and class) Lea brought in the show.

Offline alcobobaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 03:28 PM »
Mr. Hankey, pipila lang ba sa C3 para manood ng PI? What time does one need to fall in line to get in?

Depends if you have a ticket. If not then you can wait outside and the p.a's will let people w/o tickets in little by little.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 481
« Reply #224 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 03:54 PM »
pinahirapan talaga si mau sa kantang pinapili sa kanya! even if i feel she was the best performer last night, i still feel she'll be booted out! wag naman sana! mga lasalista, please vote with your ears and minds!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 07:46 PM »
Jan- I'm so glad Lea said how gorgeous his vocie was, because that's what I've been saying from the start. He has the most attractive voice among the finalists.

I've never been a fan, but when I listened to the CD, I was surprised. Of the males, he's among the better ones on the CD (along with Reymond). Gian actually doesn't sound good on the CD at all. I'd rank his performance there just a step above Ken's and Miguel's.

I especially cringed when he did that little dance during the change of tempo. I was thinking, nagiba ba ung kanta? Kasi hindi appropriate ung moves nya.

Everyone apparently noticed how awkward that point was! I actually texted someone after seeing that: "Oh no - he started out okay, and then he apparently felt a need to resurrect his Ricky Martin performance moves."
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 at 08:02 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 09:36 PM »
POW?!?!?!?!?!?

OVER MIGUEL?!?!?!?

ARE PEOPLE DEAF?!?!?!?!?

My God!!!!!!! I should've voted more for her.

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 09:47 PM »
too bad. a mau-gian-jan-pow episode would have been a real contest!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 10:28 PM »
too bad. a mau-gian-jan-pow episode would have been a real contest!

That's true.

But my faith has been restored in our local voters, since we at least got the bottom three right this week.

Konti na lang, we just might have a killer Final Three. Miguel's attitude will hopefully lose him a few more votes next week. Regardless of the backlash one receives, I think the winner of this show should be someone who wants it really bad, and doesn't have a defeatist "Okay lang if I go tonight" attitude.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 at 10:45 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline blitzkrieg

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Shut up!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Nov 20, 2006 at 10:48 PM »
 ;D So sad that POW had to go. That was the most touching exit this season. And one big injustice!!! But I'm betting MIGUEL goes home next week. By this time, his fans have already realized the words "deaf" and "injustice"

And I would hate seeing MAU bowing out of the race when there are undeserving others who have no right to be on that stage to begin with. There is no other contestant in PI who could easily conquer and win the audience's hearts and ears the way MAU does every week. That to me is the X-Factor!

On the other hand, I disagree with some observers that she missed some high notes in the first song because she never did and that song is well within her range and she showed tremendous comfort in doing that number. "And I'm Telling You"  though was kinda too much for me. The 1st song was upbeat so it was appropriate that she should have chosen a more somber song for the 2nd perf. The Musicales is a bountiful material. I wish she dished out "My Man" or "People" from Funny Girl or "Something Wonderful" from King & I.

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 at 10:59 PM by blitzkrieg »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 12:05 AM »
I think Mau would've rocked the house with "All That Jazz" or "Cabaret".

Offline garfield_3199

• Collector
  • Votre vie vraie est celle que vous avez.
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Nov 21, 2006 at 10:20 AM »
POW?!?!?!?!?!?
OVER MIGUEL?!?!?!?
ARE PEOPLE DEAF?!?!?!?!?

I was rooting for a Top 4 WITHOUT Miguel. Buti na lang Lea didn't break her neck with Miguel's performance last Sunday.

I don't think people are deaf..kase we got the bottom three right this time. However, Miguel's machinery did it for Pow. It should have been Miguel who went home last night. I think even Miguel knows this. Did you see his face last night? I think he was expecting it as early as when it was between him and Apple. It just that how can Pow beat a well-oiled campaign that has posters all over tricycles in Alabang and a block voting group???

kaya next sunday...lets vote for those who really deserve it.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2006 at 10:23 AM by garfield_3199 »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Nov 26, 2006 at 10:05 PM »
I have to say: I watch multiple Idol franchises, and "Big Band Night" is usually one of my favorites.

Usually.

Tonight's episode nearly bored me to sleep. And for me, the worst part was, Miguel wasn't even the worst singer of the night. I'd say for Miguel, this was his best night.

So... who do you guys think will bite the bullet tomorrow?

Offline alcobobaz

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 02:16 AM »
Miguel's gone.

They said the top 3 will be competing in Araneta.. why 3??

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Nov 28, 2006 at 10:40 PM »
They said the top 3 will be competing in Araneta.. why 3??

My guess is: to make sure Mau's in the Finals. They can't risk another week of possibly losing her.  ;D

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 03:29 PM »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Nov 30, 2006 at 10:00 PM »
OMG. Arms does look like Diana DeGarmo!

Offline halvert

• DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Dec 09, 2006 at 02:30 PM »
kagabi, sa christmas party ng pinsan ko, nag-perform ang top 12 ng philippine idol. nag-print out sya ng caricature na ginawa nya ni mau tapos pinasok nya yung room kung saan nag-stay yung idols. Mau stayed at one table with Reymond and Arms. eto ang conversation
Pinsan: hi, mau, pwede pa-sign?
Mau: (looks at drawing) Wow, uy tingnan nyo o! Kayo po may gawa nito?
Pinsan: Opo.
Mau: Saan ko po sa-signan?
P: Kahit saan!
(While mau signs, pinsan greets Reymond)
P: Reymond, sayang...I voted for you!
(Reymond says thanks)
P: Syempre Arms, I voted for you,too. Don't worry, baka better things are in store for you! Next time , drawing ko rin kayo!
(Arms says naku, thank you!)
(Next, syempre picture taking with Mau ,pinsan and the caricature)
Pinsan: Good luck bukas ha?
Mau: Gusto nyo po ng TICKET?

Pinsan: Naku, may pasok ako, e.(aaaargh! nakalimutan na baka may iba syang kamag-anak na gusto manood!na-star-struck daw kaya di naka-pag-isip)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Dec 09, 2006 at 11:21 PM »
PLEASE text MAU to 2339.

Thank you.  :)
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2006 at 11:22 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #239 on: Dec 09, 2006 at 11:52 PM »
i felt like the judges were already awarding the crown to jan (horrors!) or gian, at the very least.

in round 1, they were enthused with jan's performance and had no comment about mau's song.

and then they gave good song choices to gian and jan, and a horrible one to mau, in round 2..

buti na lang magaling si mau. at ang mga record producers who picked 'on my own' as her possible single. because when she sang in round 3, the judges couldn't nitpick anymore. they had no choice but to acknowledge how good she was. again, she had the audience in the palm of her hand (reminiscent of her rendition of I Will Always Love You and Diamonds are Forever). 

vote Mau indeed!

btw, Mau's performance at youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVIOsQyhcpU

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2006 at 11:45 AM by tonedeaf »