Author Topic: The Phantom of the Opera [HD DVD],The Last Samurai [HD DVD],Million Dollar Baby  (Read 5121 times)

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Yes mongaddi, in short the essense of a HD player is a HDTV. The purpose of HD player is to output its HD video source in HD resolution of 720p or higher to a HDTV. :) Without a HDTV, you will be seeing quality similar to existing DVD on a regular TV.

at least i can buy a HD player first, then a HRTV later. btw, how much does an HDTV cost  ???

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
IMO, there's no rush to get a HD player if you can't use it on a HDTV to take full advantage of the player features (hi-def, upscale normal DVD, etc). Why spend over 25k just to see the same PQ similar to a normal DVD on a regular tv right?  :)

Probably it will be best to save up & by the time you got your HDTV..... hopefully newer, better & cheaper HD Players will be available by then...you'll have a big selection to choose from. First Gen players always have some weaknesses in terms of design fault, glitches, etc.

There are a lot of HDTVs in the market now. For LCD 32" LCD, prices range from 90k-120k.   

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
that's right pchin.

i have been visiting a lot of shops lately and i was surprised how high end monitors' prices drop by the minute.

im glad i didnt get that samsung slimfit on impulse. thanks to some helpful folks here at pinoydvd.

;) 8)

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
yeah, paul is right, better to have HDTV na muna, where you'll have excellent choices now, unlike the hd player which gives you limited options.   ;D paul is right again, you can't maximize high definition PQ on a non-HD capable monitor..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006 at 08:46 AM by Munskie »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
 8)

hey paul.. do you always have to be Mr. Right all the time? hehehehehe.

that's why i need to consult with paul before i upgrade.

;)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Haha not really Redge...it's just my opinion & could be wrong.  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006 at 08:56 AM by pchin »

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
does PQ still improve if I play a regular DVD using a HD player/HDTV? or does it have to be an HD DVD?  sorry for this newbie questions ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
In general, assuming the DVD is of good pressing...if play in an upconverted or HD player, yes the PQ appears to be near hi-def. In a word: Impressive.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006 at 09:35 PM by pchin »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
any recos? war of the worlds perhaps?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Superbit & most of the THX titles have superior PQ such as Terminator 2 Extreme Edition, Titanic, etc. However, nowdays many of the regular DVDs have good PQ too

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
oic.. i was talking with Baby awhile ago and told him that i have never seen an HDDVD setup simulation here in manila. it would be a good experience to have one during on its local launch. still checking some good TVs for eventual purchase since i dont find LCD and plasma appropo for my viewing. too digitized IMO.. in a way losing the cinematic appeal or theatrical experience to say the least. i want to watch something and feel as if im inside a theater rather than a computerized environment.

8)

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
oic.. i was talking with Baby awhile ago and told him that i have never seen an HDDVD setup simulation here in manila. it would be a good experience to have one during on its local launch. still checking some good TVs for eventual purchase since i dont find LCD and plasma appropo for my viewing. too digitized IMO.. in a way losing the cinematic appeal or theatrical experience to say the least. i want to watch something and feel as if im inside a theater rather than a computerized environment.

8)

I've passed by Ansons kanina and they say that they will have a slimfit tv with hdmi connection out by the end of the year.  I still like crt over lcd or plasma.  Sa us kasi meron nang labas na may hdmi matagal na. :(

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:

8)
Then get a Front Projection system for that "cinematic appeal."  Personally, after seeing how life-like the images on the Sony Bravia LCD, at very close range, I would never go for CRT-based TV for HDTV.  Too bad,  can't afford one.  ;D 

The Sony Bravia display I saw at Abenson, GLorieta has this "HD generator box" according to the sales guys using HDMI connection.  It only needs an HD-DVD player and the right Disc to replace that box.  I can now understand why the Bravia images had more photograph quality than those of other displays that only used upsampling DVD players. 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006 at 11:14 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
that's why i admire ricky's HT setup. someday, ill have one for sure. and you can quote me on that...  ;D

if you have seen the Gone With  the Wind CE extras, you'll know the difference between watching from a theater and home theater.

never really like the idea of LCD and plasma. i always see each one close range everytime i visit my client's office. 

;)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006 at 11:15 AM by hemisphere »