Author Topic: LCD in a balikbayan box  (Read 10059 times)

Offline dagul27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LCD in a balikbayan box
« on: Apr 08, 2006 at 12:53 AM »
Mga sir,

if properly wrapped inside a balikbayan box,should i worry about bringing home an LCD TV back there in the Phil.? the way i see it,doble ang presyo dyan sa pinas.a 32" LCD TV here cost less than $1000(around P50,000+).iniisip ko kung damihan ko ng bubble wrap and styro.has anybody done this before?

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
Re: LCD in a balikbayan box
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2006 at 10:32 AM »
Mga sir,

if properly wrapped inside a balikbayan box,should i worry about bringing home an LCD TV back there in the Phil.? the way i see it,doble ang presyo dyan sa pinas.a 32" LCD TV here cost less than $1000(around P50,000+).iniisip ko kung damihan ko ng bubble wrap and styro.has anybody done this before?

Bro,

My aunt brought home a crt television using a balikbayan box......she used pillows along with the bubble wrap....pwede mo siguro i sandwich yung LCD tv between two fluffy pillows ;D....kapag balikbayan box ba no tax?  Why not try shipping through DHL or fedex para may insurance....

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2006 at 11:39 PM »
pag balikbayan box di na iche-check sa customs sa pinas basta may konting ipit sa passport.

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 07:44 AM »
pag balikbayan box di na iche-check sa customs sa pinas basta may konting ipit sa passport.
;)
Nice!!!!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 03:02 PM »
There's a 26" LCD at Park Square, unbranded.  Costing about 50T cash. 

It's always seems cheaper getting some appliances overseas. It's just a hassle packing them and to get them past customs.  And I am not so sure if the standard balikbayan box can accommodate a 32" Flat panel, can it?
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2006 at 03:04 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Jun_P

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2006 at 04:44 PM »
Sir AV, is this the one in Compex? I asked one of the salesperson there its specifications, they didn't know. They just handed me the manual that came with it. It was just a user's manual on how to operate it, no specs at all. It did say the monitor's maximum resolution is 1024x768. Other than that, wala nang useful information. I was supposed to ask them if they can turn it on, but they ignored me.. so I just left.  ???

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 01:55 AM »
There's a 26" LCD at Park Square, unbranded.  Costing about 50T cash. 

It's always seems cheaper getting some appliances overseas. It's just a hassle packing them and to get them past customs.  And I am not so sure if the standard balikbayan box can accommodate a 32" Flat panel, can it?

i think it'll fit standing up.problem is i won't be able to put enough protection on top.hayyyy.dyan na nga lang makabili,baka sa duty free meron.

Offline alfa

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 09:03 AM »
I think if you can put the LCD in the BBox with the LCD's orogonal packaging it will be safe.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 12:06 PM »
Sir AV, is this the one in Compex? I asked one of the salesperson there its specifications, they didn't know. They just handed me the manual that came with it. It was just a user's manual on how to operate it, no specs at all. It did say the monitor's maximum resolution is 1024x768. Other than that, wala nang useful information. I was supposed to ask them if they can turn it on, but they ignored me.. so I just left.  ???

Yup I think that's the one.  Oh well, maybe they're just on consignment to the store  so the sales guys would be of no help.  Maybe you can google search the model for more info. 
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2006 at 12:08 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 12:10 PM »
i think it'll fit standing up.problem is i won't be able to put enough protection on top.hayyyy.dyan na nga lang makabili,baka sa duty free meron.

See if you can have it packaged or crated by a freight forwarding or moving company.  It will cost, but if you compute the savings are still there, could be worth it.  Then again, duty free shops are a good place to shop for electronic products.  But only in Dubai and Bahrain, according to a PAL employee friend who's seen virtually every duty free shop on earth.   ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2006 at 12:12 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Jun_P

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 01:23 PM »
Yup I think that's the one.  Oh well, maybe they're just on consignment to the store so the sales guys would be of no help.  Maybe you can google search the model for more info.

I looked for any mark on the unit for any brand and/or model number... wala. Generic talaga  ;D
Pasensya na po OT...

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2006 at 07:59 PM »
thanks for all the replies.sayang talaga mga flat panel TVs dito(LCD and Plasma),ang daming choices and prices are really going down.problema rin pala sa balikbayan box eh parang lumiit.

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2006 at 12:26 AM »
my mom called the philippine tourism branch here in the U.S. and they said pwede daw magdala ng 1 appliance per person na balikbayan.i guess i'll bring my 32" westinghouse LCD and i still have the original box.i've been using it mostly for dvd movies and the xbox 360.

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 08:32 AM »
my mom called the philippine tourism branch here in the U.S. and they said pwede daw magdala ng 1 appliance per person na balikbayan.i guess i'll bring my 32" westinghouse LCD and i still have the original box.i've been using it mostly for dvd movies and the xbox 360.

If you can get something in writing to support the inquiry it would be better officials at the airport tend to respond better to something in writing  ;)

Offline upinsmoke

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2006 at 01:19 AM »
If you can get something in writing to support the inquiry it would be better officials at the airport tend to respond better to something in writing  ;)

Necessary ba talaga yan?  I thought you could bring in whatever you want as long as it's for personal use?  1 TV falls under "personal use" but 5 TVs isn't.  Of all the stuff I've brought with me back here, I've never had to pay a cent in customs.  We've brought laptops, computers with monitors, huge surround sound speaker system....

Does anyone know for sure how this works?  Because when I bought my DVD player in the US and shipped it here airmail, they charged me customs fees here.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006 at 04:22 PM »
I think if you arrive here as balikbayan, then none of what you bring with you is dutiable.  But if you get parcels or appliances from overseas, they get taxed.  Just like those DVDs and CDs I ordered from Amazon that arrived at our post office.  I guess it also depends on the value declared on those shipments.  Or the mood of the customs official . ;D

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2006 at 03:36 PM »

I do agree on this......I am working abroad as well and everytime I bring home some electronic appliance, our custom officer always have a different interpretation of our existing law..........which is quite b#$%^&*!t and irritating......

I do remember one time na nag-uwi ako ng 21 inches na sony tv...and sabi sa akin nung custom officer eh hanggang 20 inches lang daw ang allowed sa balikbayans and OFW's so sobra na raw ng 1" yung dala ko so taxable na raw.....sabi ko eh wala namang mabibiling 20" na TV puro 21 or 25 or 29 o kaya eh 10 inches lang atsaka saang article nakalagay yon? walang naman syang maipakita sa akin......

then after a few months umuwi ulit ako this time eh back pack lang ang dala ko....and doon ulit ako pumila sa same officer....sabi ba naman sa akin eh kung bakit wala daw akong dala man lang na stereo or 25" na TV man lang....sayang daw naman yung uwi ko, dahil allowed daw naman akon mag-uwi ng ganon....nung sabihin ko sa kanya na akala ko ba and sabi mo eh hanggang 20" lang ang allowed at pinagta-tax mo pa ako nung me bitbit akong used na 21 inches na TV, ngayon eh sasabihin mo na 25" eh pwede??

Ayun tinignan lang ako ng masama tapos tinatakan nalang yung papel.....

sarap pagbabatukan yang mga yan eh......mga sala sa init at sala sa lamig..... >:(

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2006 at 08:55 PM »
Brad,

Just a reminder, a balikbayan must be out of the country continously for not less than 6months- 1year.
In regards to the tax that Customs examiner will charge in case you will have to pay, normally its 15% duty tax plus 12%evat of the cost, so that a total of 27% that is if you still have the receipt, but if not, dito na may problema, manghuhula na lang sila kung ano gusto nila. Btw, exemptions are only applicable to USED items. If Bnew, tax applies.

Tip lang, if you plan to put it inside a Bbox, (or what we call Philippine made Samsonites) you might wanna think it over. One, airlines normally do ask you to sign a waiver (this is at the back of your baggage claim stub) that you are waiving your right to claim if any damage in the property occurs due to its inadequate packaging. Bbox is considered not suitable for travel. Some do get lucky that this kinds of electronics arrive at home still working, but if you can only see how ramp people handle our luggages, you will be dismayed. Some do put it in a crate, DIY wood/makapal na plywood then insert lots of crushed styro/bubblewraps.

Just my 5 cents.  ;)

Offline Kratos

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 03:34 PM »
Im also planning to take my 32in lcd home with me this december. I still have the original box and styros and stuff plus my receipt. Is it safe to put it in its original packaging or do i have to buy a seperate container used for fragile appliances to secure the safety of my lcd tv? And also how much do i have to pay for customs tax? Thanks.

Offline BuLLeT

• Collector
  • No One Gets Left Behind, Rangers Lead the Way
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 04:23 PM »
I'm here in KSA and I have already sent two 29" CRT TVs via door to door and the forwarder always ask Php 1.8 to 2K for customs duties since they said that as per Phil. customs law, TVs that are 29" and  above are subject to customs duties.

They will give you a choice to pay up front or the consignee shall pay them in the Phil. when the items are delivered since there are cases daw that custom personnel sometimes do not charge duties.

The forwarder also offer insurance for the goods and you pay the premium of 1% of the declared value. I just do not know if what is the coverage of the insurance.

Offline bardigones

• Collector
  • angna angna
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 10:29 AM »
my uncle shipped an LCD-TV, 27(?)-inch Syntax (made by kolin) from the states to the philippines, using a big box with lots of towels and blankets. last year pa yun. 1-month sa barko. :)

ok naman.
-
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they're not always accurate." - Abe Lincoln

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2006 at 05:43 AM »
I'm here in KSA and I have already sent two 29" CRT TVs via door to door

this is imo the best option ...
kilala na ang mga ito sa customs so most of the time , nakakalusot na wala na inspection.
meron pang optional insurance.
and i believe you have the option of not using the forwarder provided boxes.
and if you will be using the original packaging of the TV , try to check if you can invert the box so that there will be no visible brand markings on the outside :)