Author Topic: Would you lend out your DVDs? / How do you say 'NO'?  (Read 44904 times)

Offline utoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Would you lend out your DVDs? / How do you say 'NO'?
« on: Jun 05, 2001 at 12:04 AM »
I remember the very first time I got my player, I was in desperate search for DVD rental shops. Good thing my friend Arcturs was kind enough to lend me his discs. I promised to take good care of the discs I borrow from him and I hope I didn't disappoint him.

Now that I have a collection of my own and friends are asking to borrow some of mine, I'm a little apprehensive especially when one took one home in his jacket. IN HIS craping JACKET!!! (Just testing the curse-guard thingamajig) ;D

Do you guys lend out your collection to friends? Or do you blow them off? Papaano? Pointers? If only they are as wonderful borrowers as I am.
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2003 at 07:13 PM by Kahon »

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Re: Would you lend out your DVDs to friends?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 01:12 AM »
Hi utoy -- arcturs also lent me a whole bunch of DVDs in exchange for my lending him a couple.  He's really very generous with his stuff -- and quite a collection of stuff he has!

I have developed some guidelines over the years for lending to my friends items in my collection -- and this includes DVDs, VHS tapes, video games, comic books, books, CDs, or anything else of some financial or sentimental value that you might have.

1.) It's better to lend to fellow collectors.  If you're lending DVDs to another DVD collector, that's an assurance (though not a 100 percent guarantee) that he/she is as finicky as you are about fingerprints/scratches on the case/disc, handling the disc by the sides instead of the surface, keeping it out of direct sunlight, not dropping it, etc.  That's because fellow collectors know how damn expensive these things are and are therefore more likely to be careful with others' DVDs.

2.) Observe how potential borrowers care for their stuff.  Whenever you have the opportunity, try to see how your friends (those who borrow stuff from you anyway) treat their own collections.  Someone who takes the time and effort to keep their DVD collection all together, categorized, in a safe and sanitary place is obviously far more preferable to someone who keeps their discs strewn haphazardly about the house, on the floor, with dogs and cats and small children running around.

3.) Don't hesitate to impose your rules on borrowers.  I've made this mistake before: my friend borrows something from me and I just lend it without comment, because we're friends. "Djahe naman if I sermon my friend about being careful with it."  Screw that.  The truth is, it's your hard-earned stuff, so you have every right to expect that it be returned in the same condition in which it was lent.  So speak up! Firmly but nicely lay the ground rules for borrowing your stuff -- no need to be arrogant or cruel, you are friends after all.  And if they break the rules and wreck your stuff, don't hesitate to lay the smack down as well!  ;)

4.) If they lose or wreck your stuff, ask them to pay for it. It's only fair.  When I borrow something, I consider it my responsibility to return it (promptly!) in the same condition in which it was lent to me.  If I lose or break the item while it is in my care, I immediately offer to pay for/replace it.  I expect others to accept the same responsibility.  If they don't offer, you should remind them of their responsibility by asking (not demanding; again, always ask in a firm but fair manner, without anger) for payment/replacement.  It will compensate you for your loss, and teach your errant friend a much-needed lesson about responsibility.  If they refuse, well, you can't force them, but you've got to wonder if you're really friends after all -- because friends don't screw each other that way. (Of course, there are exceptions -- such as if your friend truly cannot afford to pay for or replace the lost/broken item.  Demanding payment in such a case is plain cruelty.  Just write it off and chalk it up to experience.)

5.) Don't hesitate to ask for your stuff back. Some people take forever to return the stuff they've borrowed.  Sometimes they just forget that your stuff is with them, so they need a friendly reminder when you feel they've had it long enough, and you want it back.  A short reminder via text or email, complete with smileys, is often the best way to send the message with the least amount of embarrassment for all involved.

6.) Just because they're your friends, don't assume they'll take better care of your stuff than total strangers. Sad but true.

I'll give you some real-world examples.  I have lost many, many things to friends/acquaintances over the years because I was too shy to say anything, or I simply assumed they would take care of my things.  One guy, my best friend in the whole world (and he continues to be), is notoriously disorganized at home.  There's no malice involved, he's just sloppy when it comes to keeping his room and stuff in order.  So one time he borrowed my NEC PC Engine 16-bit video game console, and all its cartridges.  (I should point out that the PC Engine, released in the US as the TurboGRFX-16, is now  considered a collector's item, and would probably fetch a good price on eBay).  When did he return it?  Three years later (despite my bugging him every six months or so to return it).  How was it returned?  The five joypads, the multi-tap, and the power adapter were all gone, as well as all the games.  In short, only the console unit itself was left intact, totally useless.  And by the time it was returned, the PC Engine had been discontinued, so I could no longer find replacement parts/games for it.

Another time, this same friend got sick with chicken pox.  So since he was going to be laid up at home for at least two weeks, I lent him my Atari Jaguar game system for him to have something to do.  When was it returned?  A year later.  How was it returned?  With four out of five games plus the power adapter missing.

Another friend, an avid DVD collector himself, is very careful with the stuff he borrows from me, no problem there.  However, he takes a loooooong time to return the tapes and discs he borrows from me.  As in years.  That's with me reminding him already.

But I have a relative who takes the cake.  He never, ever returns his CDs or original video games to their jewel cases -- they are just discarded into a closet when he's done using them (he asked me once how come his orig copy of NBA Live 98 for the Playstation no longer works; I took one look at the horribly scratched media surface and said, duh!).  He smacks his TV on the side whenever it has poor picture or sound; and then he wonders why it stopped working after a while.  Double-duh!  When his Playstation would have problems reading a certain disc, he would fiddle with the lens with his finger -- then he balked when he had to shell out P3000 for the lens to be replaced.  Triple-duh!  He once borrowed my copy of Final Fantasy VI for the Playstation, then without asking my permission he lent my copy to one of his friends.  Then he totally forgot that he had lent out my copy.  When I asked for it back, he claimed he had already returned it -- siya pa ang galit! In the end, I had to buy myself another copy.  Quadruple-duh!  He once took my Tracy Chapman CD from my CD rack (without my permission) and returned it with a cigarette ash burn on the case.  Then  he wonders why I always give him a hard time when he borrows things from me. Duuuuuuuuuuh!!!!!

7.) So my final rule is, don't be afraid to say no, and give the reasons why.  If your friend has a poor track record of caring for your stuff, then don't lend him anything unless he shapes up.  How will they know they have a problem with responsibility unless you tell them (in a nice way, but firmly)?
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline ekime

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 02:06 AM »

I remember the very first time I got my player, I was in desperate search for DVD rental shops. Good thing my friend Arcturs was kind enough to lend me his discs. I promised to take good care of the discs I borrow from him and I hope I didn't disappoint him.

Now that I have a collection of my own and friends are asking to borrow some of mine, I'm a little apprehensive especially when one took one home in his jacket. IN HIS craping JACKET!!! (Just testing the curse-guard thingamajig) ;D

Do you guys lend out your collection to friends? Or do you blow them off? Papaano? Pointers? If only they are as wonderful borrowers as I am.

Tell them to get the f**k out of your face.  Just testing also. :D  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 02:13 AM »
Yup. That's Arcturs alright. He got me spending my savings on a technology I use only once or twice a week. But I'm actually thankful.

I actually do most things that you recommend. I never hold back on telling the would-be borrower to take care of my discs and that if they break it they would have to pay for it. I'm trying hard to scare them off, but they've got tough hides (just like I have). I caution them about some of the discs being double-sided or that it takes special care not to leave fingerprints on them or that it takes special skills to take discs off of certain cases. But I really should impose an ex-deal. "Lend me your car and I'll lend you my discs  ;)"

Thanks for the input.

Offline robertj

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 03:55 AM »
Ako  hanggat maari ayoko mahirap na nasa huli ang pagsisisi. If we want some titles we just rent it kahit magasgas pa nila pero wag naman sana.

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 06:12 AM »
Yes I would ... and actually, I do. We're friends ... it's just dvd. Heck, if I have some money and a friend would ask to borrow (no interest !!!!), I don't even think twice and no definite date of payback even. If something happens to the dvd, I can always buy a new one ... or ask them to buy a replacement (the better, latest edition ... hehehe).  :D

Offline ekime

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 09:37 AM »

Yes I would ... and actually, I do. We're friends ... it's just dvd. Heck, if I have some money and a friend would ask to borrow (no interest !!!!), I don't even think twice and no definite date of payback even. If something happens to the dvd, I can always buy a new one ... or ask them to buy a replacement (the better, latest edition ... hehehe).  :D

kakabanas, we are practically neighbors, would you let me borrow your DVDs?  I'll pick them up.  Thanks. :D ;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 09:52 AM »

kakabanas, we are practically neighbors, would you let me borrow your DVDs?  I'll pick them up.  Thanks. :D ;D

Excuse me ? I don't remember being friends with you .. (see thread subject) hehehe. Kidding ...  ;D

Where are you at ? Maybe I will let you borrow them .. this could be the start of a beautiful friendship ... hahaha.  ;D

Offline ekime

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 05:06 PM »

Excuse me ? I don't remember being friends with you .. (see thread subject) hehehe. Kidding ...  ;D

Where are you at ? Maybe I will let you borrow them .. this could be the start of a beautiful friendship ... hahaha.  ;D

Is it not the bond among neighbors stronger than any friendship, as neighbors get more abuse?  Witness the statement:  Mamatay pa yung kapitbahay ko, totoo to ang sasabihin ko. :)

Anyway, I live in NJ, 12 miles to NYC.  By the way, nice sig, I hope your wish is granted; and good luck to the Sixers too (of course, this is not trying to soften you up). ;D  

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 06:17 PM »

Is it not the bond among neighbors stronger than any friendship, as neighbors get more abuse?  Witness the statement:  Mamatay pa yung kapitbahay ko, totoo to ang sasabihin ko. :)

Anyway, I live in NJ, 12 miles to NYC.  By the way, nice sig, I hope your wish is granted; and good luck to the Sixers too (of course, this is not trying to soften you up). ;D  

50 miles distance hardly constitute neighbors, don't you think ? hehehe.  ;) ;)

As for the wish, I better start buying tickets otherwise, ain't gonna happen hahaha. And the Sixers ? They are so tired so I am not expecting anything. Two 7-games play-offs one after the other will definitely take its toll.

Offline weddingsingr

• DVD Guru
  • And I am a material girl... or boy.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 09:26 PM »
Damage on the disc, however careful we are, is unavoidable.  Let's face it, even collectors can damage their own discs.  But here are tips when lending out DVDs to your friends to avoid damage on the other parts... the case, the printer cover sheet, and the inserts/booklets.

Place Discs in Spare Cases

Buy spare cases and transfer the discs to these cases when lending out your DVDs.  I buy cases at Cardinal Audio in Virra Mall.  They have cases that have easy to release buttons.  Some cases, especially the double-disc and clear ones are very hard to replace so transferring them to spare cases would totally avoid damage on the original case.  Simply sliding one DVD case over another can already cause scratches on the plastic cover.

Do not use audio CD cases as they may easily be mistaken as audio CDs.  Furthermore, the keep case of the DVD provides better protection on the disc.

Place ID stickers on these cases to easily ID you as the owner.  It would also be good to place flourescent stickers or paper to make the case very visible for the borrower.

Photocopy Printed Sheet on Original Covers

Doesn't have to be colored.  Then insert these in the spare case.  You totally avoid possible water damage or tear.

If you cannot photocopy then just place a tape or whatever tag to ID the DVD inside.

Remove Inserts/Booklets

Most borrows don't actualy give a d*mn about this, so why risk exposing it to possible loss or damage.  If you transer the disc to spare cases then just don't transfer it at all.

You can also apply these practices when borrowing DVDs from your friends for some time.  Thus, you keep the original case, printed cover sheet, and inserts/booklets in a safe place until you return the DVDs.

Offline ekime

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2001 at 10:49 PM »

50 miles distance hardly constitute neighbors, don't you think ? hehehe.  ;) ;)

As for the wish, I better start buying tickets otherwise, ain't gonna happen hahaha. And the Sixers ? They are so tired so I am not expecting anything. Two 7-games play-offs one after the other will definitely take its toll.

Ahh, what is distance, but a matter of perception of time, and what is 50 miles among neighbors?  An hour's drive, actually...:)

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2001 at 06:45 AM »

Ahh, what is distance, but a matter of perception of time, and what is 50 miles among neighbors?  An hour's drive, actually...:)

It is more than hour and more than 50 miles actually. You seem really close to NYC and I am in exit 23 of PA turnpike. From my place to exit 6 of NJ turnpike is more than 50 miles already. Unless you are driving 90 mph, there's no way you can make it to my place in an hour.  ;D

Btw, I will be in Liberty Park this Saturday (weather permitting). A friend's son is celebrating his birthday and they wanted to do it outside.  :D

Offline ekime

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2001 at 02:02 PM »

...Btw, I will be in Liberty Park this Saturday (weather permitting). A friend's son is celebrating his birthday and they wanted to do it outside.  :D

Is this the Liberty State Park in Jersey City?  What time would you be there?  Would you be in the park itself? How would I know it is you, should I shout "Is there a kakabanas here", or "If you are a PinoyDVDer, say present!"?  Should I presume that I will just follow the smell of lechon and that's where the celebration would be? I will try to stop by if you do not mind. Do not worry, I will not crash your party; I just want to see what a PinoyDVDer looks like. ;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2001 at 02:10 PM »

Is this the Liberty State Park in Jersey City?  What time would you be there?  Would you be in the park itself? How would I know it is you, should I shout "Is there a kakabanas here", or "If you are a PinoyDVDTalker, say present!"?  Should I presume that I will just follow the smell of lechon and that's where the celebration would be? I will try to stop by if you do not mind. Do not worry, I will not crash your party; I just want to see what a PinoyDVDTalker looks like. ;D

Yes, that is the park I was talking about. It's not my party, but we're supposed to be there around 1:00. However, I will be very late (probably around 3:00 ) since I have another commitment that I couldn't get out of. Do you live in Jersey City ? Where at ? I have lots of friends in that area.  :D

Offline ekime

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 06, 2001 at 03:33 PM »

Yes, that is the park I was talking about. It's not my party, but we're supposed to be there around 1:00. However, I will be very late (probably around 3:00 ) since I have another commitment that I couldn't get out of. Do you live in Jersey City ? Where at ? I have lots of friends in that area.  :D

Believe it or not, I used to live in Manila Ave., in Jersey City.  Needless to say, there is a high concentration of Filipinos there.  They just had a fiesta and Santacruzan last May 27.  And yup, I was there, were you? ;D

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 06, 2001 at 05:05 PM »

Believe it or not, I used to live in Manila Ave., in Jersey City.  Needless to say, there is a high concentration of Filipinos there.  They just had a fiesta and Santacruzan last May 27.  And yup, I was there, were you? ;D

Fortunately, I wasn't LOL.

And yes, I agree. There are a lot of Filipinos in Jersey City. Whenever I go there, I have to stop by The Philippine Bread House and buy some ensaymada and pan de sal, sometimes siopao. I order cakes there too for special occasions. I also bring home some bibingka from Manila Sunset.

So, where do you live now?

Btw, this thread has turned into kakabanas-ekime chit-chat hehehe.  ;D

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 06, 2001 at 06:18 PM »

Btw, this thread has turned into kakabanas-ekime chit-chat hehehe.

Napansin ko rin eh. ;D Maybe you guys could wrap this up or continue your discussion in private?

To get back on track:

Welcome to PinoyDVD weddingsingr!  Sounds like you have a lot of experience in lending your DVDs to your friends. I commend your generosity.

As for me, I really have no qualms about lending my DVDs to friends I trust. When I say "trust" I don't mean in terms of trusting their habits in taking care of my stuff, I mean in terms of their ability to pay me in case something goes wrong. A dvd scratched,lost,broken or eaten should be replaced in cash or in kind. :P

Fortunately, I haven't had to ask my friends to pay for or replace the DVDs yet.

Offline Warsaw

• Collector
  • Listen to the silence...
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 07, 2001 at 09:05 AM »
Yup I agree, it's not like lending VHS tapes, I mean these discs cost 5 to 7 times more.  My heart tells me I should lend it, yet my mind tells me not to.  I guess its where trust should come in.
Listen to the silence...

Offline Krazyfu_tangerine

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Pchan, oink oink!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #19 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 05:37 AM »
i would lend it to anyone who ask me, provided i know they will return it to me when i ask for them back, as for taking care of the dvds i wont mind if there are a few scratches here and there or if the case has a few bumps, aslong as it does not make my dvd skip. if it does skip i would try to fix it myself, if it didnt work i would ask them to pay for it. i mean dvds would die soon (well sooner or l8er) so whats the use of keeping it mint if it would destroy your friendship?

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 06:40 AM »

i would lend it to anyone who ask me, provided i know they will return it to me when i ask for them back, as for taking care of the dvds i wont mind if there are a few scratches here and there or if the case has a few bumps, aslong as it does not make my dvd skip. if it does skip i would try to fix it myself, if it didnt work i would ask them to pay for it. i mean dvds would die soon (well sooner or l8er) so whats the use of keeping it mint if it would destroy your friendship?

I hear you my friend. That's how my thinking goes too. Needless to say, I do the same thing.

However, to fully understand the predicament of DVD collectors, you have to put yourself in their shoes. Take for example : Doll (or any other toy) collectors don't play with their dolls (or toys) , they are just for display or once in a blue moon play. You can't expect them to lend the dolls (or toys) to their daughters (or sons). Did you get my point ?  ;)

I don't think they are being madamot or anyhting. And true friends would surely understand why it's forbidden to borrow certain things. If we were kids, it would be hard to understand why your friend won't let you borrow his dvds. (Un)Fortunately, we're all grown-ups and know the differences and factors very well ...  ;D

Offline Krazyfu_tangerine

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Pchan, oink oink!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #21 on: Jun 08, 2001 at 07:17 AM »
i got your point, about collecting stuff, but there is a difference in collecting dolls, toys, comics etc... as these things grow in value as time go's by.  with collecting dvd as dvd's would lose there value as the dvd technology becomes obsolete. a good example is LD. i have a star wars special ed. trilogy box set, that would easily go for 6,500 2 years ago. but now i cant even sell that thing for 2,000, and that title hasn't even been released in dvd format yet. what about the ones that are like the saint. it used to go for 2,500, now it cost 250. that's 90% devaluation.

its like saying i collect 286 computers and i won't use it bec. i love how they look and work...

(technology is meant to be used and used to its fullest potential before they become old technology. so the more times my dvd got used the more happy i am, bec at least i know i have used it for what its worth.)

peace!

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 26, 2001 at 10:21 AM »
Would you lend your girlfriend to a friend? Even if they take good care of her ?

Offline kakabanas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • What the - - -  ?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jun 26, 2001 at 11:32 AM »

Would you lend your girlfriend to a friend? Even if they take good care of her ?

But I don't have a girlfriend ? Does that mean I can lend my dvds to a friend ?  ;D

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jun 26, 2001 at 12:04 PM »

i wouldn't mind sharing my girlfriend to a friend as long as he does not put any scratches and even thumb prints on her  ;)
and if he does...then i would expect him to buy me new one
or replace her with something better ;D
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline gets

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jun 26, 2001 at 12:36 PM »

i wouldn't mind sharing my girlfriends to my friends as long as they do not put any scratches and even thumb prints on them :)
and if they do...then i would expect them to buy me new one
or replace her with something better ;D

preferrably a special limited edition or an ultimate edition.. some "added features" would be nice...although i do not want one which has an "alternate ending"

Offline Tange_Nanto

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jun 26, 2001 at 03:13 PM »
No doubt I'll lend them my DVDs. I'll even recommend my favorite ones.

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jun 27, 2001 at 06:58 AM »
I take my hat off for you KRAZYFU.That line about a dvd getting all scrathed and whats the point of keeping it mint if it will destroy the friendship.That puts things in their proper perspective!As collectors of various things and keeping them pristine and new as the day we bought them, we lose sight of the fact that its the people around us that make collecting such a joy! To share our neat little stuff to those who would appreciate and get as much pleasure as we did when we got it,that's the essence of collecting! I dont think fighting with people because they damaged your stuff and hiding your collection from others till they rot is what nature had in mind!Come to think about it,by lending the XMEN  out and using it up till it cracks would be the best reason to buy the new special edition  ! :)              

bonoman2

« Reply #28 on: Jun 29, 2001 at 12:03 PM »
This post was edited to remove unnecessary profanity -- Mod.

>:(NO WAY MAN! I JUST HAD ENOUGH OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO KEEPS ON PROMISING THEY'LL TAKE GOOD CARE OF IT BUT ONCE YOU HAND THEM YOUR STUFF...THEY CARE FOR NOTHING AT ALL! I CAN FEEL HOW IT HURTS HOW THEY HANDLE THE COVERS HUH! ONLY THE COVERS HERE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT! IT'S A SHAME.... REALLY!

BY THE WAY IF YOU'RE A COOL COLLECTOR AND YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS, AND YOU KNOW AS WELL HOW TO TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOUR OWN STUFF... I MIGHT ALLOW YOU TO BORROW MINE!

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jun 29, 2001 at 12:24 PM »
Hi bonoman2 -- welcome to PinoyDVD!  I too am very choosy about to whom I will lend my DVDs, so I understand your passion about this subject.  Nevertheless, there's no need to shout -- typing in ALL CAPS is the online equivalent of shouting.  Just a friendly forum etiquette tip.  ;)
It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.