Author Topic: A Question About Elwood Perez's WAIKIKI  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Chris V

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Question About Elwood Perez's WAIKIKI
« on: Apr 17, 2006 at 09:24 AM »
And a simple one at that: what the heck is this movie about? Despite several positive mentions (in a guilty pleasure/cult sense), I can’t find any concrete info online regarding the danged thing’s plot or genre. Is it comedy? Drama? Youth film? Bomba? Action? Musical extravaganza? What? I’m not asking for a detailed plot summary, just a general sense of content and style.

Any and all help is most appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: A Question About Elwood Perez's WAIKIKI
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 01:03 PM »
Waikiki is a family drama. It's been awhile since I've seen it but here's what I can recall. It was a story of a family with three daughters (Rio Locsin, Alma Moreno, Lorna Tolentino) that that migrated to Hawaii but the mother (Alicia Alonzo) and the oldest daughter (Alma Moreno) were left behind in Manila due to the mother's illness. Years later, the mother finally made it to Hawaii and found out her husband (Raul Aragon) has a new wife and son. The mother has trouble accepting her daughters (Rio Locsin and Lorna Tolentino) "American" way of life. The movie was notable for showing the contrast between her daughter (representing the pinoy way) that stayed in the Manila and the other two that grew up in Hawaii. A culture shock of sort for the mother. And Rio and Lorna delivering their lines with realistic American accent.

Offline hotrod

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Yippie-kay-yay!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2006 at 05:18 PM »
I've seen this one, in CinemaOne i think.  Sayang may cut yung dancing scene ni Lorna =)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2006 at 12:47 PM »
Poster Tagline: YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING

With a very sexy pose of Alma, Rio and LT.  ;) Did the 3 bombshells during the early 80's fight over billing problem?

The poster is filled with their names on it, simultaneously interchanging! Wise moved by the Regal Matriarch.  ;D
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2006 at 12:56 PM by keating »

Offline Chris V

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2006 at 09:12 AM »
Thanks everyone for the info!