Author Topic: Treasure Hunters on Crime/Suspense  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Treasure Hunters on Crime/Suspense
« on: Apr 26, 2006 at 10:53 PM »
I hope they can pull this off. The Amazing Race needs a worthy contender.

NBC announces new 'Treasure Hunters' global reality "quest" series
By Steve Rogers, 03/18/2005

NBC formally announced Thursday that it has ordered Treasure Hunters, a new ten-episode reality "quest" series that will feature multi-person teams of treasure-hunting contestants traveling the globe and using folklore, fantasy and actual history as clues to solve an intricate puzzle.

First reported by Daily Variety earlier this month, Treasure Hunters will be executive produced by Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz and produced via their Magical Elves production company, the same folks behind the Project Runway and Project Greenlight reality shows airing on NBC's Bravo cable network.

Joining NBC and Magical Elves on Treasure Hunters' production team will be Imagine Television, the television arm of Ron Howard and Brian Grazer's Imagine Entertainment, and Madison Road Entertainment, a 2-year-old "branded entertainment" (ie. memorable product placement) marketing firm that's recently begun to branch into producing its own unscripted programming. As a result, the show's credits will list no fewer than seven executive producers, with Imagine's Grazer and David Nevins and Madison Road's Tom Mazza, Danica Krislovich and Jak Severson adding their names to those of Cutforth and Lipsitz.

Similar to Dreamworks Television's involvement with Mark Burnett's The Contender, the move makes Imagine Television the latest scripted production company to adopt a "if you can't beat them, join them" attitude and partner its way into the world of reality television.

"I can't wait to get started," said Nevins. "We thought a lot about what Imagine might bring to the reality television arena, and we think that with this idea and the terrific production team that has been assembled, we will be able to create an exciting event series." "Madison Road and Imagine Television partnered to raise the bar in reality TV," added a pretentious-sounding Mazza.

While Treasure Hunters' global format will no doubt evoke comparisons to The Amazing Race, the long-running CBS series that has only recently become a mainstream hit, NBC says that unlike The Amazing Race, Treasure Hunters will focus on the solving of its puzzle rather than the race itself -- a description that would appear to make the series a reality version of 2004's National Treasure hit film that starred Nicolas Cage (and like The Amazing Race, was also produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.)

"It's inspired by the success of books like The Da Vinci Code," NBC Universal Cable Entertainment & Cross Network Strategy president Jeff Gaspin told Variety. Making the show sound perhaps more similar to ABC's The Mole, another modestly-received "first generation" reality series that unlike The Amazing Race, limped through several editions before eventually succumbing to low ratings, Gaspin explained how the puzzle will be the show's focus. "As opposed to focusing on the race, the show will focus on solving the puzzle," he said. "The challenge will come as they try to put the puzzle together."

Billed as "the smartest show on television" during its run, The Mole nonetheless struggled to attract viewers, with ABC eventually airing two "dumbed down" celebrity editions in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to broaden its audience. Seeming undeterred by ABC's experience, Gaspin promises a mystery that will apparently be even more complex than those of The Mole.

"We'll use iconic locations, with a mixture of real history and folklore along with our own fantasy elements we use to create this puzzle," Gaspin told the trade paper. "It's vital to have a puzzle with complexity, so that in addition to their own brainpower, contestants will have to use the Internet and library as resources for research."

Treasure Hunters will also feature an "online component" that will also allow web-savvy viewers to get involved with the show -- a concept that also conjures up memories of another unsuccessful ABC series, Fall 2002's Push, Nevada.

Considered a "next-generation twist on reality television" Push, Nevada was executive produced by original Project Greenlight team of Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Sean Bailey and Chris Moore (via their LivePlanet company, which starting with Project Greenlight 2, began teaming with Magical Elves to produce the show.) A scripted mystery series with interactive web elements that included the awarding of a $1,045,000 cash prize to its viewer winner, Push had evolved from what was originally envisioned as a fugitive-style reality project entitled The Runner. Never produced due to post-September 11 security and safety concerns, The Runner was to feature a single contestant travelling the country attempting to accomplish eight real world missions while avoiding "capture" by prize-seeking viewers.

Critically-acclaimed but poorly viewed, Push, Nevada ended up airing only seven episodes before being canceled.

According to Variety, it might not take long to discover if NBC (and Magical Elves) can succeed where ABC (and Magical Elves' LivePlanet associates) failed. While NBC has not yet released a broadcast date for the series, Variety reports that Treasure Hunters could premiere as early as late August.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2006 at 07:41 PM by Reuven Malter »
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: NBC's Treasure Hunters
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2006 at 02:33 PM »
Making the show sound perhaps more similar to ABC's The Mole, another modestly-received "first generation" reality series that unlike The Amazing Race, limped through several editions before eventually succumbing to low ratings, Gaspin explained how the puzzle will be the show's focus. "As opposed to focusing on the race, the show will focus on solving the puzzle," he said. "The challenge will come as they try to put the puzzle together."

Billed as "the smartest show on television" during its run, The Mole nonetheless struggled to attract viewers, with ABC eventually airing two "dumbed down" celebrity editions in an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to broaden its audience. Seeming undeterred by ABC's experience, Gaspin promises a mystery that will apparently be even more complex than those of The Mole.

It actually sounds EXACTLY like The Mole... without a mole!  ;D

I loved that show. I've only seen three seasons though - The Mole 1, Celebrity Mole: Hawaii and The Mole Australia 2005. d**n good show - and I'm one who watches them all, remember?  ;D

I hope there's a 2006 edition being contemplated somewhere...
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2006 at 02:35 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
NBC's Treasure Hunters
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2006 at 03:05 PM »
Was The Mole ever aired locally? I'm psyched to see that before this NBC show.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006 at 07:40 AM »

Meet the teams

Check out the show's trailer

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2006 at 07:58 PM »
Was The Mole ever aired locally?

Nope. I'm currently "accessing" The Mole Australia 1, but there aren't enough seeders, it'll take a few weeks, apparently.  >:(  ;D

Back to Treasure Hunters: I personally thought it started off as a complete mess. The concept of two separate games ongoing in different parts of the States was very confusing. Not only did they have three people per team, but they kept on shifting between the two completely different sets of players with different locations/tasks, so it was nearly impossible to keep up with who's who.

But by the time the groups merged, it turned into an enjoyable version of The Amazing Race Season One, where teams were actually given clues with PROBLEMS to solve and not just DIRECTIONS on where to go next. That's what really changed with TAR - they dumbed it down in later seasons.

The production values are very high - it almost looks like it was shot on film and not on video, but the editing isn't quite as exciting as TAR (nor as clean, as boom mikes could be seen during one segment). The mix of teams is pretty good. I like how the biggest jerk in the group so far is the pastor! He has "fun villain" written all over him. And it's a trip watching rednecks try to solve the intellectual puzzles.  ;D

I did have a problem with the team which had a member that couldn't complete a task. I think instead of just getting staff members to help him, the team should've been disqualified or at least have gotten a time penalty. It just seemed really unfair that he was basically exempted from the task and the game went on. They need to fix their rules!

But on the whole, it turned out to be a fun show. I think it's something that I'll grow to enjoy even more as weeks go by.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2006 at 08:03 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 01:35 AM »
The show is getting mostly bad reviews. Hope it builds an audience. Personally, it was good enough since TAR is on hiatus.

I agree with some TAR fans that some of the characters are reincarnations of past TAR teams from the Family Edition. The 'evil' pastor's family is kinda like the infamous Weavers. Brown Family = Black Family.

Not only was it fun watching the rednecks figure out the puzzles, they also beat the so-called Geniuses! The latter along with the Young Pros even admitted that they tend to overanalyze anyway. Most of the teams are entertaining but so far, I'm rooting for teams ex-CIA and Air Force.

Hope they get to go somewhere outside the US.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2006 at 11:27 PM »
After finally seeing the third episode, I have to say that this will probably be the second reality show I'm giving up on early in the run (the first was TAR: Family Edition). I'll give it a few more episodes, but it seems like such a waste - its production values are twice as good as TAR, but the skills of its editing staff are less than half of TAR's. I made that point last week, but it was even worse this week. You had no idea how the final two teams even made it to the final clue. It would've been very dramatic to see especially the second-to-the-last team's effort, considering what happened to one of their team members. Sayang.

I like the evil religious family, though - the team you love to hate. This is becoming a stereotype on American Reality Shows.

Angal ng angal, pero manonood din naman. Seriously though, if there were other reality shows on right now (and regular network fare), giving up on this one would be a no-brainer for me. Maybe once Big Brother All-Stars starts it'll be easier to quit.  ;D

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2006 at 02:37 PM »
The third episode showed the flaws in this show: poor editing and planning of tasks. The leading team does most of the problem solving and the middle pack is easily rewarded. Still, since there are no better alternatives lately, might stick around for more. Yeah, gotta love to hate the evil, religious family as long as we are not Fogaled.  ;D Reviews of last night's episode seem favorable.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2006 at 10:53 AM »
Warning to anyone who will be watching this show:

Don't let the first three episodes bore you out of watching it. Things do get to be a lot of fun in episode 4, when alliances and fighting escalate.

I'm really liking the cryptic clues with misleading fake clues planted around. You'll think twice before performing a task, then the task itself won't be a walk in the park.

What I'm really not liking right now is that my favorite team has no one to form an alliance with other than my least favorite team. Much like on Survivor, alliances target the strong... or the a-holes. So now the strong have been forced to join forces with... eh...

Bring on next week's show!  ;D

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2006 at 11:02 AM »
It does pay off to give the show a break. I'd prefer this over America's Got Talent or So You Think You Can Dance. Don't have the endurance for Big Brother so this is the best available reality show for me as of the moment. Fogaling the Fogals did not work.  ;D Even if I didn't like the outcome too, twas great TV drama. That episode was also another showcase for karma being a bitch. The Hanlons could've provided some entertainment but their undoing was funny and cathartic. Pissed off though that the Grads had to give way to the Browns. Once this last deadweight team is out, it's really game on!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2006 at 01:55 PM »
The Hanlons could've provided some entertainment but their undoing was funny and cathartic.

The younger one looked pretty nice (if dim witted), but his dad and uncle were just your typical textbook rednecks.

Funniest moment: Wild Hanlons looking for the boat ticket. The reaction of the other teams was priceless!  ;D

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 14, 2006 at 08:40 AM »
I think this week's episode convinced me to see this through the finale. Clues are actual clues in this show. This leg introduced a twist that could have benefitted TAR: Family Edition. More intra-team drama.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2006 at 10:08 PM »
Katie Fogal should be made to complete the rest of the hunt with her mouth taped shut.

My ears are still ringing from yesterday.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2006 at 03:27 PM »
Kayte makes Flo look good. Ma Fogal scored some good points smacking her down after they finished the task.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 11:23 PM »
One more episode before the two-hour finale! Satisfying elimination especially the location where it happened. Now, our ears are out of harm's way.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 10:42 AM »
Satisfying elimination especially the location where it happened.

It was proof that there is a God... and He has a sense of humor.  ;D

One more episode before the two-hour finale!

I checked TV Guide after watching the show, since I found the statement: "Next week, it's the last two episodes until the Live Finale" to be confusing. Did that mean there were two episodes next week?

So far, TV Guide has hour-long taped episodes scheduled for the next two Mondays (with episode descriptions), and no finale listed. So I'm still confused what they meant at the end of the episode. Maybe they'll revise the schedule soon.

I wonder how a "Live Finale" will work? Maybe they just mean a live reunion, unless the clues lead to a treasure hidden in a studio... which is a bit too hokey, even for this show.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2006 at 01:01 PM »
The promos are as confusing as the show itself.  ;D

If there's anything positive to say about the Fogals, at least they left without being bitchy. And, they did not screw over the Air Force team. The last three teams solving the clue in the church was funny since the Fogal Force were all trying to spy on the so-called Geniuses. It reminded me of the Hanlons copying the Browns.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 06:19 PM »
And true enough, NBC.com now lists the finale date as August 21. So their onscreen promo regarding the finale that week really made no sense.

Speaking of onscreen promos, I was channel surfing on SkyCable, and I just saw Kayte Fogal on my TV. Thus I can now say that:

Treasure Hunters begins August 31, Thursday, 10:00PM on Crime/Suspense.

I suppose the show's a little Suspenseful, but being forced to listen to Kayte's wailing definitely is a Crime.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
Re: Treasure Hunters on Crime/Suspense
« Reply #18 on: Aug 09, 2006 at 07:43 PM »
Ever since Kayte left, the episodes kept getting better and better. Plenty of comedic moments lately and the clues are getting tougher (although those Southie Boys kept getting lucky in cracking them). Totally psyched for the finale!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2006 at 12:41 AM »
Wow!  :o Three Million Dollars worth of gold!  :o

But that was a really boring finale/reunion, even worse than when Rosie hosted the Survivor Reunion. The host was still robotic, and the audio had occassional echoes. The winners weren't even prepped on what they should do when they came out on stage, so the host looked pathetic trying to get their attention to come to the center for their interview.

It looks like this will be a one-season show. Sayang. Brilliant concept, mediocre execution.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2006 at 08:25 AM »
"The robots are recreating!" I 'heart' Brooke!  ;D Team Air Force are still winners in my book.

It was good enough for a summer show (at least better than NBC's other reality hit, America's Got Talent). Now on to TAR!

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2006 at 07:04 PM »
Caught the pilot last week on Crime/Suspense. Not bad, but I cringed every time they showed the robotic host doing the clips on their motorola phones--very cheesy and fake.  :P

Medyo magulo yung rules, and it's annoying when several teams are in one spot and one team would manage to solve the clues--then the rest just copies them.