Author Topic: Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising  (Read 5532 times)

Offline eman59

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising
« on: May 03, 2006 at 09:06 AM »
Gusto ko sanang simulan ang thread na ito dahil sa wakas, nai-release na ang dalawang kanta ni Jun Latonio mula sa sineng ito ("Umaga na Naman" at "Tuwing Umaga") sa bagong CD ni Christopher de Leon ("Mga Awit Pampelikula").  Nasa CD rin ang "Sisikat Din Ako" mula sa "Kakabakaba Ka Ba?" 

Mas pulido ang bagong interpretasyon kaysa sa orihinal.  Mas gusto ko ang orihinal, pero mabuti na ito kaysa wala.

I read somewhere that Mike de Leon doesn't count Kung Mangarap among his favorite movies.  Some say it's like a Pepsi commercial.  But I remember being blown away when I first saw this movie during the 1977 Manila Film Festival.  There was also that big controversy among the participating filmmakers and Rolando Tinio, who headed the panel of judges.  Rolando wrote a judge's report about the strengths and weaknesses of each festival entry and his views angered Mike and Lino Brocka ("Tahan Na Empoy, Tahan").  "Burlesk Queen" won practically everything that year among a field of really good movies.  The critical analysis of Filipino movies at that time was vibrant and exciting.  The Manunuri critics (Doy del Mundo, Bien Lumbera, Hammy Sotto, Behn Cervantes, Pio de Castro) wrote long and incisive reviews of movies and cinema in general in the dailies.  They argued and debated on print, and the filmmakers responded with increasingly better movies.

"Kung Mangarap" was gentle, recognizable, and urbane; it had a good-hearted core that I had not seen in our movies until then, a romantic drama that was truly romantic.  It made me fall in love with Sagada, Jun Latonio's music, and Oya de Leon. 

I know Kabayan Central sells a copy on videotape, but I'm reluctant to watch it again because it's magic may not hold up for me.  But back then it was (along with Eddie Romero's "Kamakalawa") the most delightful experiences I had with Pilipino movies.

Offline eman59

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Kung Mangarap Ka't Magising
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006 at 09:21 AM »
I wanted to write earlier, but forgot, that Noel Vera of this board continues the tradition of the Manunuris at their best during the late 70's.  Noel's essays, oftentimes more enjoyable than the movies he writes about, are fearless, consistent, and decidedly opinionated.  They have a through line; he has a point of view.  He will vehemently disagree, but he is our Pauline Kael.  Keep writing, Noel, because I will keep reading.  Salamat.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006 at 09:26 AM »
Kung Mangarap is one of my favorite Mike de Leon films along with Itim (this one still manages to give me the creeps) and Hindi Nahahati Ang Langit (one of the very few intelligent komiks melodramas) in as much as he had his name removed from the films' credits. btw, Brocka's entry in the 1977 MMFF was Inay with Alicia Vergel.

i also loved Boyet's original version of Umaga Na Naman... i didn't like the new recording... it defeats the entire message of the song. when he first sang it he was young and the song spoke of Joey's dreams and aspirations. it's all gone to waste now since he's a bit older.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006 at 09:48 AM »
Thanks, eman.

I can't say I dislike any of de Leon's films--none of them are weak, or carelessly made. Kung Mangarap, which I saw only a few years back, was intriguing for being such an interiorized drama--it's one of Christopher's most understated performances, not something you'd expect from the actor at all.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006 at 11:35 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006 at 12:40 PM »
Finally a thread for this underrated Mike de Leon film. This movie also started Filipinos love for Sagada. And its more than that.........the upbeat music of Jun Latonio, great performances from its two leads, Boyet & Hilda plus irresistible performances throughout by the supporting cast especially BIbeth Orteza makes this a certified classic.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006 at 12:17 PM »
Kung Mangarap, for me, is a lovely little film filled with fine acting all around, beautiful scenery, and wonderful music. It's romantic, for sure, but not overly mushy or sappy; the mood and feel is just right. The choice of Baguio and Saganda as setting couldn't have been more perfect. Perhaps, also, this movie gives us a glimpse in how Mike views love or falling in love.

Also, the cameo of Oya de Leon (who is equaly as good looking as Hilda) was a surprise.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006 at 12:21 PM by RMN »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006 at 12:27 PM »

Photos: Kabayancentral.com and Rain Contreras
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006 at 12:27 PM by RMN »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006 at 01:21 PM »
Kung Mangarap, for me, is a lovely little film filled with fine acting all around, beautiful scenery, and wonderful music. It's romantic, for sure, but not overly mushy or sappy; the mood and feel is just right. The choice of Baguio and Saganda as setting couldn't have been more perfect. Perhaps, also, this movie gives us a glimpse in how Mike views love or falling in love.

Also, the cameo of Oya de Leon (who is equaly as good looking as Hilda) was a surprise.

Who is Oya de Leon in the movie? Mike is somewhat cynical in his views of love and relationship.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006 at 01:34 PM »
No
It's romantic, for sure, but not overly mushy or sappy

It's the one rare Filipino film where the love story is bracingly, refreshingly viewed as if from the end of a microscope, like a bug. About time too--not for Mike all those give all, die-for-all passionate affairs; this one has all the beauty and elegance of a basic mathematical theorem.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006 at 03:18 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006 at 01:37 PM »
I liked the way he handled the movie, very very romantic. But two people falling in love at the wrong place and at the wrong time.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006 at 06:44 PM »
Who is Oya de Leon in the movie? Mike is somewhat cynical in his views of love and relationship.

Oya was Christopher's model girlfriend in the film... remember the pictorial session scene?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006 at 06:45 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006 at 06:53 PM »
Oya was Christopher's model girlfriend in the film... remember the pictorial session scene?

Yeah I remember it, Jo. Thanks for the info. Is she related to Mike de Leon? Local filmmakers should learn from this film......high average melodrama.

Offline eman59

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006 at 12:42 AM »
I believe she's Mike's sister.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006 at 01:13 AM »
Oh wow, Oya--yeah, I heard about her.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006 at 04:02 PM »
Oya is Mike's sister, younger I believe. At some point, she used to oversee the LVN archive.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006 at 04:36 PM »
I heard that some movie journalist who shall remain nameless (not me! ;D) was actually stalking her one time.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006 at 04:37 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006 at 02:16 PM »
I hear she's become come sort of a recluse now...

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006 at 04:48 PM »
You mean she wasn't always a recluse?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 11, 2006 at 05:36 PM »
I'll bring my copy of this film when I go to Sagada this coming Saturday.

8)
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2006 at 05:45 PM by keating »