Author Topic: What Rare DVD Do You Own?  (Read 52363 times)

Offline ekime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What Rare DVD Do You Own?
« on: Dec 20, 2001 at 03:18 AM »
Right now, I have Hard Boiled Criterion, the Little Shop of Horrors, and the Alien 5th Disc.   :)

Although I have the Criterion copies of Robocop and the Silence of the Lambs, I do not consider these rare.  Yet. ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2002 at 03:34 AM by benny »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: What Rare DVD Do You Own?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2001 at 06:13 PM »
It is kinda hard to qualify a DVD as being rare.  What does this mean?  It is not found anywhere online?  Always out of stock? Or just limited copies made and you had the opportunity to have one?  I think we need to qualify this one bro.

IMHO, as long as the DVD title is available online, it is not rare.  But then again I think rarity becomes more evident as time passes by until you really won't find that anywhere in the net.

Just my 2 cents bro. PEACE  8)

Offline Komikero

• Konsehal
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2001 at 06:31 PM »
I have a rare DVD. Quite by accident actually. You know how certain things when they are produced have certain errors in them that only a few copies in the entire batch have. I have a copy of THE CUBE from Trimark. I know a lot of people have them, but what makes mine different is a manufacturing error that printed a whole different movie on the flip side. It also includes Renee Zellwegger's Love and a 45 complete with the feature and it's supplements. Does that make it a rare item?

How about my copy of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? It was the first R3 release (which was availabe at Astro). It's not the Mandarin version that is currently available now. It has an English track with Chinese accents as it's main track. Does anyone have that? Since it's sold out, I'm pretty sure many out there have it, but I don't think it's avalable for retail anymore.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2001 at 06:40 PM »
Related Thread:

Rare and expensive dvds

I hope this thread goes on to talk about rare dvds that people own and not what's available now to differentiate it from the other thread.

Offline Blankman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2001 at 10:15 PM »

Although I have the Criterion copies of Robocop and the Silence of the Lambs, I do not consider these rare.  Yet. ;)

Uy, I got the Criterion edition of Silence of the Lambs that I bought back in 1998/99. Don't know if it's rare but it's already OOP.

Also got Seven Samurai from Criterion, but learned that my copy was the second print. Don't know if it qualifies in this thread, but if I bury my copy today and dig it up a hundred years hence...

Seems like Criterion's associated with "rare," isn't it?

JOHN

NY152

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2001 at 12:27 AM »

How about my copy of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? It was the first R3 release (which was availabe at Astro). It's not the Mandarin version that is currently available now. It has an English track with Chinese accents as it's main track. Does anyone have that?

Yup, I have that one, too. I'm not sure, but I think the last time I checked at Astro, I think this one was available again, along with the Superbit one.

I have the out of print Criterion THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. I also have the recalled first release of I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER - the one with the trailer that says "from the creator of SCREAM," which Dimension objected to. Though I doubt this particular disc is ever going to be collected by anyone!  ;D

Offline ekime

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2001 at 05:31 AM »

It is kinda hard to qualify a DVD as being rare.  What does this mean?  It is not found anywhere online?  Always out of stock? Or just limited copies made and you had the opportunity to have one?  I think we need to qualify this one bro.

IMHO, as long as the DVD title is available online, it is not rare.  But then again I think rarity becomes more evident as time passes by until you really won't find that anywhere in the net.

Just my 2 cents bro. PEACE  8)

My mistake.  Let's define a rare DVD, then.  My definition would be one that has increased in value, afterall, it is about supply and demand, is it not?   Hence, based on this, a rare DVD would be one selling 2 times (or more) the MSRP.  I think this would be a fair definition, would you think?    :)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2001 at 12:28 AM »
Talking about rarity, a year ago I saw the VHS copy of Princess Mononoke to be more expensive than the DVD! That was in Amazon.com.  The DVD back then would cost like $22.00 and the VHS copy was like $60.00++ and for pre-orders only. Duhh! :o

Guess this is out of the topic but then dunno what happened there.  BIZARRE!!!  Any other experiences same as this? :-/

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2001 at 07:13 PM »
Rare dvds?Isnt that an OXYMORON? ( Is that how its spelled? )Maybe thread should be renamed DVDS THAT FEW PEOPLE ARE WILLING to collect.

NY152

« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2001 at 01:09 AM »

Talking about rarity, a year ago I saw the VHS copy of Princess Mononoke to be more expensive than the DVD!

Any other experiences same as this? :-/

Actually, it isn't that uncommon. Many titles (particularly those that didn't do too well at the box-office) are initially released at high prices on VHS. These are actually more intended to be rental copies for shops. Usually, after a few months, the video is released again, this time at a lower, more consumer-friendly price (is the term "sell-through"?).

A more recent example is EVOLUTION. The high-budgeted film made less than $40M during its theatrical release. Its current VHS purchase price is $107.99! The DVD is $21.49. I'm not sure, but maybe the studios get a percentage of rental revenues, and can cut some of their losses by doing this to the initial VHS releases?

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2001 at 04:26 AM »

Actually, it isn't that uncommon. Many titles (particularly those that didn't do too well at the box-office) are initially released at high prices on VHS. These are actually more intended to be rental copies for shops. Usually, after a few months, the video is released again, this time at a lower, more consumer-friendly price (is the term "sell-through"?).

A more recent example is EVOLUTION. The high-budgeted film made less than $40M during its theatrical release. Its current VHS purchase price is $107.99! The DVD is $21.49. I'm not sure, but maybe the studios get a percentage of rental revenues, and can cut some of their losses by doing this to the initial VHS releases?

I still don't get it  ::) considering that VHS is of a lower quality than DVDs.  And this is being marketed in the States.  Do they really sell these for that price?   With the prices of DVD players there in the States (my brother bought his APEX 1000W for only $75.00),  I think VHS copies would phase out in the long run.  Man, if I were the owner of a rental shop I'd rather buy 5 DVDs for the price of 1 overpriced VHS. And still get the better deal!  Just my opinion... 8)

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2002 at 03:03 PM »

that's true blockbuster ( a major movie rental chain) has some arrangement with the studios, that is why the vhs copies are initialy sold at a much higher price, to drive the public in renting the movies 1st...
they are also lobbying the studios to do the same with dvd...
and once that happens..it would be a very sad day for us dvd lovers... :-[
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2002 at 10:54 PM »
That means that we are pushed to rent the movies rather than acquiring a copy for ourselves.  How about us collectors?  ??? This would entail consumers to support piracy and in the long run the producers of the DVDs would then lower back their prices to combat piracy.  Its just a vicious cycle and the pirates are the equalizers.  They would always come out with a cheaper alternative which as much as possible would be on par with the orig. Thus consumers might go for this.  Going back to the law of supply and demand...

Hope this doesn't happen in the PI considering piracy is so abundant and has strong protection from the bad eggs of the law! >:(

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2002 at 11:41 PM »

...Hope this doesn't happen in the PI considering piracy is so abundant and has strong protection from the bad eggs of the law!

In a manner of speaking, it hasn't happened here, at least not to the extent that it happens to initial VHS releases in the US.

Initial VHS releases in the US happen to be the second in the release hierarchy. First being theatrical. Since this usually happens before the usual 6 month wait between first theatrical release and first video release.

This is used as a marketing gauge to see how popular a video release would be. The high price discourages buying and encourages renting. The other common gauge used is pre-orders of certain titles (this happened with Bossa Nova and other titles), but most still use this high priced VHS release version as a gauge as well, before going into the investment of pressing DVD masters. I doubt that this happens here as Video Rental stores wouldn't be willing to pay more than we do for their movies. The release hierarchy doesn't seem to be followed here too well with the exception of Blockbusters as releases are usually late by 6 months anyway. Most of the time, a movie is being released here theatrically at the same time the R1 DVD comes out. Most of the time R1's come out here even before local theatical release.

In the RP, we've experienced the initial DVD release of movies like "Swordfish" trying to sell at full price, but that didn't work out too well so it was included in the Warner sale a few days later. Other DVD's have followed too, some Magna releases (Evolution and others) are being sold at the full P999 retail, but they too will go down to the sale prices in time.

Having said that, what I surmise happens here is that the distributors attempt to get more out of the new releases first, but will eventually go down in price.

And finally to get back to the thread topic, I don't really own any DVD's that I would consider rare. but since it has been mentioned in this thread, I do own a copy of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon initial R3 release with the English soundtrack.
Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2002 at 08:35 AM »
If you want Rare, yung Jose Rizal ni Blitz.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2002 at 10:24 AM »
i have the army of darkness 2 disk limited edition, i think this was only limited to 30,000 copies

plus i have one of the early dvd of fargo, that was initialy released by polygram, even if the new mgm release has the Anamorphic version ,i still kept this one because of the case. they where still expermenting on dvd cases then and this was a thick clear acrylic ,2x thicker than a cd jewel case but the size is proportional to a dvd case and the dvd slides out just like the loading tray on your dvd player...so i kept this as a novelty.

bently

Offline jacob

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2002 at 08:34 PM »
anyone knows where to get DVDs of BEN HUR and CHARIOTS of fire? my father in law is bugging me :)

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2002 at 09:22 PM »

anyone knows where to get DVDs of BEN HUR and CHARIOTS of fire? my father in law is bugging me :)

Hi jacob!

Welcome to Pinoy DVD!

Ben Hur and Chariots of Fire are Warner's releases.

Ben Hur is available at any Astrovision Store. I'm not sure about Chariots, but you could try there too.

By the way, these are current releases and don't fall under the "rare" DVD category.

Hope you find them for your's and you father-in-law's sake. ;D

Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline gonz

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2002 at 08:42 AM »
I have Re-Animator, which sellers on eBay claim is OOP, although the price isn't any higher than list.  It's listed as "limited availability" on Amazon.

Got Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Hidden Fortress and Robocop Criterion, but as pointed out earlier it's a toss-up whether these can be classfied as "rare."

It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black.

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2002 at 09:31 AM »

im new to this  things( my apology) but what do u mean by Criterion??? :D

NY152

« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2002 at 09:45 AM »

im new to this  things( my apology) but what do u mean by Criterion??? :D

Hi, aldrin.

It sounds better than the way I would explain it, so I'll let the Criterion Web Site speak for itself:

The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, is dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors. All of the films published under the Criterion banner represent cinema at its finest. In our seventeen years, we've seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema in the world's best digital editions.

The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. For every disc, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, and take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to assure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director's cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 35 filmmakers have made our Director Approved library of laserdiscs and DVDs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer.

http://www.criterionco.com

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2002 at 09:24 AM »
BubbleGum Crisis TV on DVD....this is the original series and came on a game like box and cd jewel cases.  i even picked if from Babbage for $24 when a new compilation at any SunCoast or BestBuy store would have it at $60...
Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2002 at 04:37 PM »
Curse of the Vampire
Beyond Atlantis
Twilight People

These are not rare. But I'm pretty sure, only few PinoyDVD members [if I'm not the only one] owns these three. ;D ;D ;D
There's something to learn everyday

Offline FLIM

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2002 at 06:14 PM »
Fritz langs JOURNEY TO THE FORGOTEN CITY
DEATHRACE 2,000
PIRANHA

Offline cvthunder

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2002 at 10:33 PM »
i'm also new and i'm wondering if there are r3 releases from criterion...meron ba?

Hi, aldrin.

It sounds better than the way I would explain it, so I'll let the Criterion Web Site speak for itself:

The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, is dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors. All of the films published under the Criterion banner represent cinema at its finest. In our seventeen years, we've seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema in the world's best digital editions.

The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. For every disc, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, and take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to assure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director's cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 35 filmmakers have made our Director Approved library of laserdiscs and DVDs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer.

http://www.criterionco.com

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2002 at 10:50 PM »
hard boiled criterion...didn't know this is already selling for around $100 now at ebay
it maybe to expensive for me to keep this in my collection :-[

bently

Offline Paltik

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2002 at 09:15 AM »
hi cvthunder, welcome to pinoyDVD!  ;D . about your inquiry, as far as i know, criterions are only released in Region 1. am i right guys?  ???

bently, so are you going to sell it to me?  ;D

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2002 at 11:41 AM »
You're correct, Paltik  :)

From the official Criterion faq:

Are Criterion DVDs available outside of North America?

Criterion Collection editions are generally available throughout the US and Canada. From time to time, certain of our editions are distributed internationally, usually by our studio licensors' and their international partners, but at present we have no international distribution arm of our own.

The vast majority of Criterion DVDs are released with North American rights only.

From Criteriondvd:

Why can't I find any Criterion released overseas?

Criterion releases are primarily available at North American retailers.  Most Criterion discs are not region coded so they can be used on most DVD players, however.  Some discs, though, such as The Passion of Joan of Arc, are Region 1 and are intended for use in North America only.  Criterion has no plans to release DVDs in Europe (Region 2) or any other regions.

Offline gob

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2002 at 09:33 AM »
SPINAL TAP - CC
SALO - CC
LORD OF THE FLIES - CC