Author Topic: cd label causes freezing  (Read 4192 times)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
cd label causes freezing
« on: May 10, 2006 at 12:26 PM »
have read several articles that CD LABELS we usually stick on DVDs we make are the most likely culprit for the freezing and pixellations.  ::) As claimed, the label we stick on the disc gets hot easily while on play, the heat affects physically the disc including the file encoded in it, and this causes the freezing usually in the half part of the disc.  ::) 

Ill check this out when i get home  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline barrid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: cd label causes freezing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006 at 12:46 PM »
happened to me. most of my data and mp3 cd became unplayable. napansin ko na binatak ng label ang cd kaya nabingkong. ;D  ngayon, pentel na lang ang markings ko. :)
There's something to learn everyday

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006 at 05:35 PM »
It also happens when there is a non-sticking portion of the label elevated thus causing an irregular spin on the disc player which makes the disc unreadable. 

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006 at 06:59 PM »
if thats the case.. saan ba makakabili ng thermal printing? or any other printers na nakakaprint ng cd?

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006 at 07:22 PM »
have read several articles that CD LABELS we usually stick on DVDs we make are the most likely culprit for the freezing and pixellations.  ::) As claimed, the label we stick on the disc gets hot easily while on play, the heat affects physically the disc including the file encoded in it, and this causes the freezing usually in the half part of the disc.  ::) 

Ill check this out when i get home  ;D

Yup. Go for Lightscribe. Should be the best in labelling discs.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006 at 10:50 PM »
Yup. Go for Lightscribe. Should be the best in labelling discs.

i agree... but the media is soooooo hard to find. pricey too.  :-[

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006 at 01:12 PM »
Is there a better way u know to peel-off the cd label without causing harm to the disc?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006 at 02:50 AM »
Is there a better way u know to peel-off the cd label without causing harm to the disc?

i doubt it... if it were a dvd, i might recommend you try. but on CDs... DON'T. or else you might end up peeling off the "data layer" along with the sticker. (i speak from personal experience) check the diagram below and you'll see that the data layer for CDs is immediately under the label. unlike dvds where there is a polycarbonate in between the label and the data layer.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006 at 02:46 PM »
i tried not to put a label on the video i burned using a generic dvd-r media which i still have on stock but no longer using it because of previous coaster problem.  This time it played flawlessly. i will try again to play it and later will try to put a label to test the theory.  ;D

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006 at 07:22 AM »
i got an advice that to peel off the laBEL, pwede ibabad sa tubig which i just did before i left for the office. i will try to peel that off later pagdating ko.  ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006 at 08:50 AM »
Another way is just to buy a printer with a cd labelling tray.  I recommend the Epson R310 bundled with a cd labelling software then just buy those CD-R's or DVD-R's with the white printable face from CD-R king.  Guaranteed you get great labelling results on those discs. ;D

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006 at 09:28 AM »
Yup DOC m considering this  Epson 310. This is best but you get the same convenience with Epson 230, mas mura, it only costs 6999 i think, plus ipa-bottomless mo for 4400 ok na yan. I can print digital images at lesser cost good for business in our area. ;D

m a bit curious about the info presented by bro spaceman regarding the DVDs' thicker layer than the CD. Is this also true to the generic dvd media we get from CDR King?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006 at 07:00 PM »
i got an advice that to peel off the laBEL, pwede ibabad sa tubig which i just did before i left for the office. i will try to peel that off later pagdating ko.  ;D

that might get rid of the paper... but what about the "adhesive"? you might rub off the paper when it's wet but the adhesive (if it's strong enought) might stay on... and you'll end up with a sticky surface.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006 at 07:05 PM »
Yup DOC m considering this  Epson 310. This is best but you get the same convenience with Epson 230, mas mura, it only costs 6999 i think, plus ipa-bottomless mo for 4400 ok na yan. I can print digital images at lesser cost good for business in our area. ;D

m a bit curious about the info presented by bro spaceman regarding the DVDs' thicker layer than the CD. Is this also true to the generic dvd media we get from CDR King?

i believe this is true for ALL dvds...  take the "green" ritek dvd-r for example , write on the surface with a felt tip pen then look real close. you can actually see that what you wrote will cast "shadows" on the "green" underlayer.

dvds are not thicker... they are probably about the same in thickness. the basic difference is that the "silver" data layer on dvds is sandwiched between 2 thin polycarbonate layers. while CDs have their "silver" data layer coated on top of a single thicker polycarbonate layer.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2006 at 07:08 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006 at 08:31 PM »
just copy it again to another cdr. life's too short.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006 at 02:10 AM »

lol... that's what i'd do too.  ;)

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006 at 05:16 AM »
i got an advice that to peel off the laBEL, pwede ibabad sa tubig which i just did before i left for the office. i will try to peel that off later pagdating ko.  Grin

This will only loosen up the paper portion and leave the adhesive side on the disc surface. You'll now have a harder time removing it. "Use Lighter Fluid", peel the sticker very slowly while it's still wet with lighter fluid.

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006 at 07:40 AM »
yeah ur correct bro, mahirap pa rin alisin kahit naibabad na -- siguro nga lighter fluid dapat gamitin dito. tnx ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006 at 02:16 PM »

I got the Epson R310 cheaper than your quoted price of the R230 at PC corner, Cyberzone, SM Megamall.  Got it for P6500 lang.   ;D

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006 at 02:32 PM »
yeah ur correct bro, mahirap pa rin alisin kahit naibabad na -- siguro nga lighter fluid dapat gamitin dito. tnx

But be very carefull. Make sure to wet it with lots of lighter fluid while peeling it off. Di dapat matuyo yung fluid while peeling it. The more fluid it has, the easier it is to peel.

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006 at 11:32 AM »
i agree... but the media is soooooo hard to find. pricey too.  :-[

Dami dito Singapore.   

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006 at 02:33 PM »
Dami dito Singapore.   

lucky! is it alright to ask how much they go for? dito kasi it ranges from 70-80 pesos each eh... that is, IF you can find one. plus, all i can see are DVD+Rs. parang wala nang DVD-R na lightscribe.  :-[
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 at 03:03 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006 at 08:24 AM »

Tsk tsk tsk, i am still having a hardtime peeling off the cd label after soaking it on water -- so i am now beginning to back up all my family DVD video files as suggested. Mas madali pero additional gastos.  ::)

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006 at 02:00 PM »
Tsk tsk tsk, i am still having a hardtime peeling off the cd label after soaking it on water -- so i am now beginning to back up all my family DVD video files as suggested. Mas madali pero additional gastos.  ::)
yayaman nanaman cdrking nyan..

any other shop that you would recommend that sells cd? mayroon yata sa viramall ha.. 2 shops na nagbebenta ng cd..
1 other at shopsville.. pero i havent bought or ask for the prices yet..