Author Topic: EA ElectronicsLite DAC  (Read 1176 times)

Offline TonyC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
EA ElectronicsLite DAC
« on: May 11, 2006 at 11:06 AM »
Anybody had any experience on this DDDAC....

http://www.effectiveaudiomod.com/Comp_LiteDAC.htm

Am not a techie guy and would appreciate any info on the difference this unit has with the Monica2 DAC....seems affordable also...cheers  ???

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: EA ElectronicsLite DAC
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006 at 11:27 AM »
With so many DACs floating around saying this and that it is quite difficult to judge just by opinions alone which sound best. With almost similar technologies 24bit DAC/192KHz specifications coupled Black Gates caps or some other expensive caps you wonder, why couple a DAC with expensive caps? Is there something wrong? Why does the manufacturer need this caps if his design sounds good? Looks to me that this is a case of premium parts sells kind of thing. Also you don't need to go overboard with the re-clocking thing.

If I were you I'd probably spend a little more time scouring for locally avail DACs and do auditioning. Limit yourself first to those under Php 10k. If this don't satisfy you go up to those Php 10k - 20k. I believe there are a lot of audio stores at the Makati Cinema Square offering DACs.

Offline TonyC

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006 at 11:35 AM »
Thanks Rasal101. 

Am contemplating on the Monica2 DAC as i might be able to source it at a reasonable cost...would the ones offered at Makati CS be different than the Monica2 or better...am just looking at under 10k cost.

Thanks again! :)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006 at 11:56 AM »
Couldn't say but I think you really need to audition. One thing you can do is to get the DAC being used by Monica2 and compare it vs what you see at the Makati CS. If they are the same DAC then it is quite likely that the DAC will sound similar with the Monica2.

Good luck.

Offline TonyC

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006 at 12:14 PM »
Thanks Rascal101, will pass by MS one of these days.... :)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006 at 07:17 PM »
the monica2 dac has a pretty low gain, its either you live with turning the volume higher than usual, use a high gain preamp or add a gain stage.
the dac's you might come across at MCS wont use the same chip but who knows, you might find a gem there :)

Offline TonyC

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006 at 08:06 AM »
Thanks John5479, am really contemplating on the Monica2 and have been planning to use the Tono 12au7 pre-amp for this...will the Tono address the gain issue?...what's your impression on the Monica2?...salamat :)