Author Topic: HDD PLAYER  (Read 4653 times)

Offline ADM202E

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
HDD PLAYER
« on: May 11, 2006 at 04:12 PM »
Have anyone tried or bought a micro HDD player? I got one running on 60gig 1.8" micro hdd, capable of running divx and mpg files, jpg and mp3s on crts, lcds and tv's. 

Features

- Removable Hard disk function: USB2.0 interface.
- Playback function: play av programs such as: Mpeg4 (Divx, Xvid, Avi), Mpeg2 (DVD, SVCD), Mpeg1 (Vcd/dat), MP3, CD and Jpeg Picture.
- Edit function: copy/remove/rename/delete files/folders in HDD.
- Can be connected to TV or computer display.
- Support 20/40/80g laptop Hard disk.
- TV formats: Pal/Ntsc/Auto.
- Multi function control keys on unit and full function remote control.
- Stereo output and digital coaxcial output.

Accessories

- Remote Control
- Usb cable
- Audio Cable
- Manual
- Power Adapter
- Av cable
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006 at 04:07 PM by ADM202E »

Offline itgbkj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Home Theater and Photography tandem
  • Liked:
Re: PORTABLE HDD PLAYER
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006 at 12:03 PM »
Sir, magkano 'to?  Parang portable MP3 player ba 'to?  Can it work on just batteries?  Or kailangan talaga nakasaksak sa outlet?

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
Re: PORTABLE HDD PLAYER
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006 at 11:22 AM »
Sir, magkano 'to?  Parang portable MP3 player ba 'to?  Can it work on just batteries?  Or kailangan talaga nakasaksak sa outlet?

Bro it require an external power supply with output of 5.6volts, already bundled with the product. The HDD case works as data, movie player, jpg viewer and mp3 player. Kailangan mo parin ng crt or tv to view the files. Think of it as alternative to DVD player, size is 5"x3"x.75". BTW I tested the coax output to my yamaha receiver, detected nya raw data and output to 5.1 dts or dolby.

I think the advantages are size, portability and di na kailangan magburn ng divx/mp3 files sa cd/dvd to play on the divx capable dvd players.  The HDD case is ~2.8k, wala pang 2.8"HDD. I think the 60gig 2.8"HDD costs 4k while the 60gig 1.8" HDD costs 4.3k. So approximately mga ~7.1k pesos in all. Di ko pa nakikita eto sa mga malls and pc stores sa gilmore and Im not sure if avalable na eto sa local retail market. But sa US start na magpeak ang HDD player. Check out Tom's hardware review http://www17.tomshardware.com/2005/08/29/hard_disk_drive_video_players_hit_the_mainstream/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006 at 11:24 AM by ADM202E »

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: HDD PLAYER
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006 at 02:21 PM »
Saan mo ba nabili ito?

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006 at 03:02 PM »
Saan mo ba nabili ito?

Someone from tipidpc sir.

Offline wasp

• Apprentice
  • Let Our Colors Bleed
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006 at 03:10 PM »
oks to a pede na sa price matibay kaya?

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006 at 04:06 PM »
So far nasa burn-in test ko pa. Post ko na lang pros and cons after a week.

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006 at 08:52 AM »
aba maganda ito ah for the price!  ;) please update if you find one of these locally....

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006 at 09:52 AM »
May supplier na locally, look for username of mark12 sa tipidpc.com. Di po ako affiliated sa kanya ha, bumili lang po ako, but I think many people believe he's a good supplier of brand new pc parts. Sa friday end of burn-in test ko, ill post the update later on.  :)

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006 at 03:08 PM »
How did you format your 60G HD, NTSF or FAT32 ?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006 at 09:34 PM by Alfie »

Offline DuoMaxwell

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006 at 03:37 AM »
I'm selling a HDD Player same item above with a 40GB Harddisk, all brand new.. formatted full capacity 40GB-FAT32...  interested party may inquire at [email protected]...  all inquiries will be entertained...

prices may vary due to stocks of harddisk..

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006 at 04:43 PM »
I got a unit from Mike12 from TipidPC, and it's the same one as that of ADM202E.
My initial findings are the following;
1) The HDD had to formatted as FAT32, since it wouldn't read any data from my 2.5 NTSF HDD.
2) There is a way to offset the 3.2G limitation of the FAT32, if you want to input your DVD movie, and that is via using the DVDdecrypter to decrypt as files to your HDD.
3) The chipset used is the popular ESS, however, this chipset is also very notorius for overheating.
4) The Ghost In The Shell-SAC, Divx files was  not anamorphically enhanced  by the HDD player, in contrast to my stand alone Xtreme/Pioneer and Philips DVD player, however, the Simpsons season 7 Divx stays as full screen even on a widescreen setting in a WS CRT TV.
5) In setting up the HDD, it seems more advisable to get the 2.5 HDD rather than the 1.8, for the simple reason that it fits snugly.
6) The unit turns very hot after about 5 minutes of use, you'll have to assist the heat dissipation via an electric fan, I feel that an air conditioned room, specifically with a 1.5 HP is inadequate to help dissipate the heat, or else suffer the consequence of a HD breakdown.
7) My unit hunged after 2 episodes, possibly due to the overheating, I turned it off, and it functioned pretty well soon after, of course now with assisted heat dissipation.
8)   A 2.5 HDD can easily be acquired at TipidPC, as long as you keep monitoring the for sale item, I was able to get a 2.5 60G HDD for only 3K, there are possibly cheaper resources had I not only been in a hurry to get one, of course, there are also some sellers who sell a lot more than the prices at Gilmore, and I saw one price higher then Villman :o
9) The beneficial thing about this is it's accesibility, you don't only have a storage unit, you'll also have a media player.
10) I am still not sure about it's durability, since the ESS chipset is notorius for sudden breakdown, besides, most of the 2nd generation DVD players incorporated with an ESS chipset, have been reportedly dysfunctional after a year of use.
11) If you are one of the types who would go for near perfect units, then this is not the unit for you, since, I believe, this 1st generation variety; It still  will undergo a lot of improvement and possibly get cheaper, however, if your'e one of the adventurous types who easily gets fascinated by old concept innovations, well this product comes very cheap, and just in case it breakdown, the good side, is that you'll still have a HDD to use as your storage data.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 at 02:30 PM by Alfie »

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006 at 02:17 PM »
The overheating issue is not so encouraging.   :-\ I'll just wait for a better, newer model. 

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006 at 03:43 PM »
Indeed the player heats up after 5 minutes of powering up the system. Player utlize ESS ES6168 208pin PQFP pb-free decoder, datasheet does not guarantee the operating temperature, however by design it should run on commercial grade with of temp of 0'C to 85'C. Players' Heat dissipation is due to  boards' decoder was designed parallel to the HDD. You may need a  fan or blower to minimize heat dissipation, but these temp which  range from 30'C to 50'C ideally should never be  an issue to the onboard semiconductor devices and HDD, all were designed to perfomed according  to the commercial temp range. 

So far, no hang-up or error during burn-in test last week(naruto, bleach, smallville season 5&6, house season 1 &2 and some mpg, divx freebies on the net). Good enough as storage and  portable player for its price and size. 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 at 03:49 PM by ADM202E »

Offline firestorm

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006 at 06:31 PM »
Just some questions

1. Does this play xvid/divx files that are have resolutions higher than 720x576 which is the maximum standalone players can handle?

2. How about subtitle files like .srt or idx/sub?

3. can it play mkv, ogm or mp4 files?

4. What video connection does it support? (from the small pic above I could only see composite)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 at 08:31 PM by firestorm »

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006 at 11:58 AM »
Just some questions

1. Does this play xvid/divx files that are have resolutions higher than 720x576 which is the maximum standalone players can handle?

Yes it plays Xvid/Divx files, it has Progscan resouliton but you'll have to utilize the VGA output

2. How about subtitle files like .srt or idx/sub?

The .srt, I'm sure, since the Simpsons 7( you gave me he-he) has a .srt file, and it works

3. can it play mkv, ogm or mp4 files?

MP4 yes, the other two, I have not tried.....maybe ADM202E can answer this

4. What video connection does it support? (from the small pic above I could only see composite)

progscan for VGA out

Thanks.

Your'e welcome  ;D

BTW.....if you are planning to utilize a 60/80 GB HD, you'll be needing a virgin HD when you format the HD to FAT32, otherwise, if it had been previously formatted to NTSF, you'll need the "Partition magic" to reformat the 60/80G to FAT32.

Even though, I'm satisfied with my unit, I will advise you all to wait for a later model, possibly one that can work on NTSF files.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006 at 12:02 PM by Alfie »

Offline ADM202E

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006 at 04:42 PM »
'Havent tested with mkv and ogm, but 3gp is not supported. Cant view your lattest cellphone "goodies".  ;)