Author Topic: DVD-busters: HD-DVD, Blu-ray discs and EVD  (Read 73453 times)

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DVD-busters: HD-DVD, Blu-ray discs and EVD
« Reply #150 on: Jul 13, 2004 at 11:48 PM »
Personally, I think there are several factors that will determine the success or failure of any new format:

1. It should be backed by all manufacturers concerned (the electronics companies, the studios, etc.)
2. It should be priced at a reasonable level so consumers will still be willing to shell out (as opposed to digging deep) for it, and,
3. It should be backwards-compatible with existing technology (wag naman sana mapunta sa wala ang lahat ang pangongolekta natin ng current dvd format)

Just look at what happened to DAT, and even the Mini-disc and LD, which compared to dvd have had very limited success..

Just my two cents worth..  ;D

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
What if there comes new format better DVD?
« Reply #151 on: Jul 19, 2004 at 11:12 AM »
Just wandering, from betamax to vhs, Laserdisc to VCD to DVD,
Who knows, there will be a new format better than DVD what will be our life then? ::)  ;D

Just wanna know... :o Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2004 at 11:13 AM by cire2004 »
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline dunforgiven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Before you see the light, you must die!!!
  • Liked:
Re: What if there comes new format better DVD?
« Reply #152 on: Jul 19, 2004 at 12:04 PM »
i joined the DVD wagon more than 6 years after it was first released. So for whatever new foramt comes out, that's probably how i'll be doing it also  ;)
Picture quality over plot

Offline cherubrock

• DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Jul 19, 2004 at 10:32 PM »
If and when the time comes (which is probably inevitable) I hope that they make it backwards-compatible with the current format. This will also ensure to some degree that they have the support of the consumers who have invested so much in dvd as we know it now.  ;)

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Jul 19, 2004 at 11:03 PM »
If and when the time comes (which is probably inevitable) I hope that they make it backwards-compatible with the current format. This will also ensure to some degree that they have the support of the consumers who have invested so much in dvd as we know it now.  ;)

well, i hope when that time comes, i fully enjoyed this hobby and morealso, if there's new introduced format better than dvd, i hope it would be much more cheaper to come with a pretty set up.. tsk tsk tsk ;)
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline cherubrock

• DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Jul 20, 2004 at 02:14 AM »

well, i hope when that time comes, i fully enjoyed this hobby and morealso, if there's new introduced format better than dvd, i hope it would be much more cheaper to come with a pretty set up.. tsk tsk tsk ;)

(Sigh) In a perfect world, I guess. But when they come up with the new one I think their main goal would be to get us, the consumers (or should I say willing victims? hehe..), to spend more money buying it, along with accompanying set-ups  ;)

Offline stannum

• Collector
  • Huh? Me, a collector?
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Jul 20, 2004 at 10:51 AM »
Now that you put it that way, I'm suddenly glad I can't buy all the DVDs I want all at once. For a newbie like me, the wait-and-see approach is probably the best.  ;D
Je ne regrette rien.

Offline jmigs

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 01:16 AM »
Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD will be backward compatible for DVD. Actually both of them has already a succesor (or competitor) by the year 2010.

RICOH announces DVD100 supporting up to 470GB capacities!
http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=7188

Panasonic, Ricoh to develop optical disc storing 300-DVDs by 2010
http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=7283
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2004 at 01:23 AM by jmigs »

Offline jmigs

• Collector
  • Liked:
Worried about your DVDs, bluray or hd-dvd? Think again, I already know this news since 2002 but I "delayed" to post it here. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD will be backward compatible for DVD. Actually both of them has already a succesor (or competitor) by the year 2010.

Panasonic, Ricoh to develop optical disc storing 300-DVDs

Offline jmigs

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 01:51 AM »
Worried about your DVDs, bluray or hd-dvd? Think again, I already know this news since 2002 but I "delayed" to post it here. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD will be backward compatible for DVD. Actually both of them has already a succesor (or competitor) by the year 2010.

Panasonic, Ricoh to develop optical disc storing 300-DVDs

Offline cherubrock

• DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 02:14 AM »
Very informative, jmigs, although sumakit ata ulo ko sa Japanese to English translation!  ;D

I think that much storage is too much for the current demands of dvd though, and I guess we can only imagine right now how much the media would cost, not to mention the equipment for them.

Good that it's backward-compatible though..  ;D

Offline jmigs

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 02:18 PM »
Why bother for a new format? Enjoy the technology that we have now.  Someday you may transfer (like Beta/VHS to VCD/DVD) or buy a new edition of your favorite movie on "put a new format here" I think Xmen 3 (2006),  Jurassic Park 4 (2005), Matrix 4 will be the first titles on Blu-Ray  ;D

Offline cherubrock

• DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 11:54 PM »
Why bother for a new format? Enjoy the technology that we have now.  Someday you may transfer (like Beta/VHS to VCD/DVD) or buy a new edition of your favorite movie on "put a new format here" I think Xmen 3 (2006),  Jurassic Park 4 (2005), Matrix 4 will be the first titles on Blu-Ray  ;D

Wow, so inevitable na talaga, huh? There go my plans of upgrading my player, hehe.. Hemisphere also mentioned that Disney might be holding off the release of Little Mermaid until the new HD-DVD format is available, and that this might be their first offering for that. Say, would you guys happen to have links on this info?  8)

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 10:45 AM »
Anymore sentiments guys?  ;D
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 01:38 PM »
Technological advancement is inevitable.  The road to progress won't end.  And the road is paved with some bumps (format wars?)   It's the car I'm using that may have problems getting there.   ;D

What will I do with my LOTR DVD when the blue ray or HD-DVD version comes along?  Can I sell it for 300 bucks at the buy and sell section? 

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #165 on: Jul 29, 2004 at 06:07 PM »
Techno freaks like us just have to fall in the hands of the proprietor of the new format.  We will still be buying those favorite titles we have on a new format.  Man, are we doomed.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Sep 16, 2004 at 12:39 AM »
Sony Set to Exert Influence on Discs
By KEN BELSON and ANDREW ROSS SORKIN

Published: September 15, 2004

The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not only give the company an enormous film library but also considerable power in its fight to set the format for the next generation of digital video discs.

xxx

But with the exception of Sony's movie division, which includes the Columbia and TriStar studios, that naturally backs the Blu-ray format, the movie studios have so far avoided backing one standard despite intense lobbying by both the Blu-ray and HD DVD groups. By buying MGM, Sony will be adding another studio to the list of Blu-ray backers, and a catalog of 4,000 movies that could be issued exclusively in the Blu-ray format.

"It further tips scales that were already tipped toward Blu-ray," said Ross Rubin, a consumer electronics analyst at the NPD Group.

xxx

Full text: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/business/media/15sony.html?ex=1252987200&en=0c852d2885ef6ea5&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #167 on: Sep 23, 2004 at 01:11 AM »
The Sony has confirmed that the PS3 will use Blu-ray Disc ROM (BD-ROM). The PS3 is expected to make its debute in March 2005.

That essentially means that BDs now has a 50-50 chance of being the new de facto standard for delivering HD content to the masses.

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
With SONY having COLUMBIA TRI-STAR and now taking MGM studio, it is now in a very good position to promote this new format giving no chioce to other brands but to jump in its bandwagon.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
agree.. the industry had it coming.. long before Sony won the bidding, they have been releasing most of the soundtracks of MGM films.. i think this whole take over thing is purely for press release purposes.  yes,  bandwagon effect and market leadership are words the other industry players should need to learn and cope with later on.

Sony enjoys playing Monopoly.. though i'm hoping that this takeover would favor consumers' advantage.. or at least disguise it..

:( :) ::)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
something to smile about... from dvdtalk

DTS selected as mandatory Audio format for Blu-Ray & HD-DVD

Press Release:
Agoura Hills, Calif. (September 27, 2004) -- DTS (Digital Theater Systems, Inc.) today announced that its DTS Coherent Acoustics coding system has been selected as mandatory audio technology for both the Blu-ray Disc (BD) and High Definition Digital Versatile Disc (HD-DVD), the two next generation high-definition disc formats for home video. In addition to the Company's core technology, DTS' extension technologies have also been selected as options. Encompassing higher data rates, lossless operation and additional channels, DTS' extension technologies, identified by the DVD Forum (HD-DVD) and Blu-ray Disc Association collectively as DTS++, have been approved as optional features on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc. DTS++ is also the only lossless audio technology selected for both disc formats.

"As a mandatory technology in the next generation standards, a DTS decoder will be built into every next generation player that incorporates either HD-DVD or Blu-ray Disc, therefore allowing content providers the freedom to choose the audio technology best suited for their needs," said Jon Kirchner, President and CEO of DTS. "We are both excited and pleased, and believe that this is a vote of confidence in DTS' technology and market leadership. Although we do not expect to see revenue until the next generation products become available, we believe the mandatory inclusion sets the stage for a very positive future."

"Over the past several years, we have seen a marked increase in DVD titles that include DTS soundtracks, and we expect this number to accelerate as DTS becomes an audio standard for next generation formats," said Patrick Watson, Senior Vice President, Strategy and Business Development at DTS. "The mandatory inclusion of DTS in both the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray standards demonstrates the industry's support for value-added DTS audio technologies. At the same time, DTS remains committed to artists, consumers and the industry by continuing our tradition of developing new technologies that offer superior performance and backwards compatibility."

DTS Coherent Acoustics
DTS Coherent Acoustics, first introduced into the market in 1996, was designed to be both extensible and backward-compatible based on its core + extension structure. Subsequent extensions to the original 5.1-channel format were an additional discrete channel for 6.1-channel audio (DTS-ES), and a 96 kHz sampling rate for high-resolution audio (DTS 96/24). DTS audio tracks using either of these enhancements can be played on any existing DTS decoder, making them compatible with more than 280 million DTS-licensed consumer electronics products today, with advanced decoders able to play the extension data.

Now, with the extra space and bandwidth afforded by HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc, content providers and consumers alike can appreciate DTS audio tracks encoded at data rates greater than 1.5 Mbit/s, all the way to fully lossless operation - meaning that the soundtrack is bit-for-bit identical to the master. Both the mandatory DTS core technology, as well as optional higher sampling rates such as DTS 96/24 and additional channels up to 7.1, enable both Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD formats to offer DTS' premium audio quality to consumers while retaining compatibility with all existing DTS decoders. This is the only approved coding system offering this range of performance yet maintaining full backward compatibility, therefore allowing a single audio track to provide advanced features and to support the large population of existing multi-channel preamps and receivers.

HD-DVD and Blu-ray Discs are next generation packaged media formats with large storage capacity capable of delivering high-definition video in addition to other advanced technologies for an enhanced consumer experience.

8)

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
j. Whichever  my favorite genre supports will get my vote!   ::) ;D

If I remember this right. At first, Sony and Disney did not gave their full support on DVD format until the one major flaw had been fixed. i.e. piracy..... ::)
There's something to learn everyday

Offline wrAth

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Simple lang, pero rock.
  • Liked:
From this week's Time Asia....

Attack of the Blue Lasers
Electronics companies are at war over next-generation DVDs   
BY JIM FREDERICK | TOKYO
http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/article/0,13673,501041004-702197-1,00.html

Monday, Sep. 27, 2004
With their neon glow, pneumatic whoosh and blastastic destructive force, lasers are the preferred weapons for sci-fi movie heroes when the fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance. But here on Earth, lasers—which in more humble household varieties nestle deep inside your DVD player, reading data from the discs—are at the center of an epic movie battle of another kind: an escalating showdown among Japan's giant electronics manufacturers over the next generation of DVD technology. This fight may not decide the future of humankind, but the stakes are plenty high. The winners may be able to chart the course of the video industry for years to come, dictating the type of technology that goes inside your next home entertainment system while reaping billions of dollars in licensing royalties.

You may not think there is anything wrong with current video discs. But electronics engineers are busily inventing new families of smarter, more computer-like media devices that will not just play movies but will also make it easier to record television shows and store music, digital-photo albums and home videos—and DVDs as we know them just aren't up to the task. Instead, high-volume discs that are the same size as DVDs yet can hold over five times more information are being developed.

Engineers, however, rarely agree on the best migration routes when it's time to move to a new technology. The industry has settled on this much: the hardware used in current DVD players, which emit red-laser beams to read data, should be replaced with gear that uses blue lasers. That's because a blue laser's narrower, more efficient beam enables far more information to be packed onto discs. Blue-laser DVDs promise sharper picture quality suitable for display on advanced flat-screen high-definition TVs and computer monitors. Previously, they were too expensive and unreliable to go in mass-market electronics, but a recent breakthrough in the materials that make up blue-laser diodes (the light-emitting component) has made them commercially viable.

But in a dustup that harks back to the VHS-vs.-Betamax standards showdown at the dawn of the VCR era, the industry has splintered into two warring camps over how best to implement blue-laser technology. Spearheading one group is Sony, which promotes a technology it calls Blu-ray. Sony senior vice president Kiyoshi Nis**tani, a battle-tested engineer who heads up the Blu-ray initiative, says his company began work on the new technology four years ago and quickly enlisted Matsus**ta (best known for its Panasonic brand), Philips and Pioneer, among others, as allies in its cause. All was going well, he claims, until Toshiba decided to ruin the party. "We have had many, many meetings with Toshiba," Nis**tani says. But when it came to explaining the benefits of joining the alliance to his counterparts at Toshiba, he adds with a shake of his head, "we could not get them to understand."

Toshiba's DVD executives, led by an equally legendary veteran, senior vice president Hisashi Yamada, cheerfully admit that they spurned the Blu-ray consortium's advances and decided to develop their own HD-DVD technology instead. The proud victor over Sony in setting the standards of the first generation of DVDs in the 1990s, Toshiba is unwilling to meekly follow the competition. Yamada seems to delight in playing spoiler in the face of what many at Toshiba perceive as Sony's arrogance. "The way of Sony is very simple," says Yamada. "'Our format is best,' they say. 'You should adopt it,' they say. Only that. No compromise." But, he adds with a mischievous grin, "We do not think Sony's is the right technology at the right time. We think ours is better."

Although both Blu-ray and HD-DVD machines will play current DVDs (your movie collection is safe), Sony says Blu-ray represents a quantum leap in technology appropriate to the dawning age of high-definition displays and the blurring of what used to be pronounced differences between digital computers and analog TV sets. Sony is fond of pointing out that single-sided Blu-ray discs can hold two-thirds more data than Toshiba's single-sided HD-DVDs. Yukinori Kawauchi, general manager of Sony's video-planning division, derides HD-DVD as "a half step." Blu-ray is, he says, the "final evolution of optical-disc technology."

Toshiba executives, on the other hand, criticize Sony for what they consider its disregard for the consumer, who is assumed to be forever willing to pay higher prices for snazzy technology. They point to a number of impressive Sony innovations—including Betamax, Mini Discs and Memory Sticks for PDAs—that Sony tried to force on the world but that failed to become industry standards because too few consumers and companies were impressed enough to fork out. "They have a long history of doing this," says Yamada. He insists that proven viability and low costs are the advantages that really matter. Toshiba claims that HD-DVD production lines are easier and cheaper to set up and that as a result prerecorded HD-DVDs will cost only 10% more than current DVDs, a fraction of what they say prerecorded Blu-ray discs will initially cost. Sony, at this point, won't forecast costs, except to say that prices will fall dramatically as sales increase.

Toshiba plans to sell its first HD-DVD players for about $1,000, starting next fall. And Pony Canon, Japan's largest domestic publisher of read-only DVDs, has said it will start selling HD-DVD discs next year to feed these new devices. Sanyo has pledged to get their HD-DVD players down to the $400 range by holiday season 2007. Meanwhile, a few Sony Blu-ray disc recorders are already on sale in Japan for about $3,500. According to Japanese press reports, the Blu-ray machines are not selling very well so far, and Sony does not expect movies recorded on Blu-ray discs to be available until 2006.

So who will win? Sony has already enlisted 12 heavy hitters to its cause, including Dell, Hitachi, LG, Samsung and Sharp. Toshiba, meanwhile, trumpets the fact that Microsoft has pledged its next Windows operating system will be HD-DVD compatible and that HD-DVD is the only format to win approval from the DVD Forum, a trade association of 220 entertainment, electronics and computer manufacturers (including Sony). Sony, which likes to control the development of its own technology, says that the forum's imprimatur is not essential to victory.

There is, however, one thing that everyone agrees is essential: backing from Hollywood. Movie studios are a critical part of the DVD business, because they distribute their product on discs by the millions. Today, home rentals and sales can generate as much as 50% of a film's revenue. DVD rentals surged 55% last year while sales rose 33%. With business good, major studios have been slow to join the blue-laser debate. But they won't be able to fence-sit forever. According to Kagan Research, by 2008 half of American households will own high-definition TVs, on which regular DVD resolution looks noticeably lame.

To be ready with the software and hardware, studios need to start making decisions. "The vote is in Hollywood's hands," says Warren Lieberfarb, the former head of Warner Home Video and now a consultant for Toshiba.

Realizing this, the Blu-ray and the HD-DVD teams are now making trans-Pacific road shows almost monthly, desperately trying to woo the studios with remastered snippets of their biggest blockbusters and boasts about their comparative advantages. Sony's deal to acquire MGM, announced Sept. 13, is a key component of its effort to promote the Blu-ray standard. As a working studio, MGM is a shell of its former self, with no active, lucrative franchises besides James Bond. But it does have a catalog of approximately 4,000 movies ranging from Gone with the Wind to Rocky (boosting Sony's control of all the Hollywood movies ever filmed in color to more than 40%) and 10,000 TV episodes, many of which have not been fully exploited for the home market. "We are not buying a company or a building," said Sony chairman Nobuyuki Idei of the MGM deal, "but rather we aim to make use of the software assets." Putting all that content on Blu-ray discs could swing the DVD fight in Sony's favor.

Unless a clear majority of studios emerges, the consumer's nightmare scenario of walking into the video store and finding Spider-Man (a Sony movie) available only on Blu-ray and, say, The Matrix (a Warner film) available only on HD-DVD remains a possibility. Like the characters in a sci-fi war movie headed for the climactic battle, neither Sony nor Toshiba show any sign of backing down, and as their allies prepare for the final showdown, their blue lasers are set for kill.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2004 at 10:03 AM by wrAth »
Quo vadis?

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
The format war is still on going & will be for many years to come similar to the DVD Audio vs SACD. Whilst many of the giant companies are supporting the BR, we cannot underestimate the potential of HD-DVD at this point of time similar to Dolby Digital vs DTS. Well, whoever wins......., we win....   ;D Personnaly, I prefer to use the term "HD-DVD". In a way, it's more compelling...just my 2 cents IMHO   :o

Offline JhunDV

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
I'll stick with DVD until the hype is over and the cost (BR/HD-DVD) reasonably affordable.  Another thing, I got to have a HiDef TV first to enjoy the benefits of either format.  So I'll enjoy what I have now (hardware/software) and wait till the dust is settled, or wait till I get rich.   ;D
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
Man, are we doomed?  :-[ :-[ :-[
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Another thing, I got to have a HiDef TV first to enjoy the benefits of either format....wait till the dust is settled, or wait till I get rich 

Totally agreed!  ;D Also there's too much risk of getting one now esp HDTV-ready and a few years down the road want to hook up a new HDTV tuner, we might find that DVI (with HDCP-enabled) is the only interface available which will leave us no way to connect our expensive HDTV-ready display. In addition, the upgraded version of DVI, the HDMI connector, which can handle both video & audio, is beginning to appear on HDTVs. Yeah...wait till the dust is settled & the price go down further. This will give us sufficient time to save up pa  :D

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Only two movies Im interested to be in Blu-Ray,  LOTR and Back to the Future Trilogy. The rest, I keep will still be in DVD.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Only two movies Im interested to be in Blu-Ray,  LOTR and Back to the Future Trilogy. The rest, I keep will still be in DVD.

2 lang? What happen to Spiderman? I though everyone loves Spidey. Hehe bad boy Spidey....must have done something naughty  ;D

For me, I have so many.....but Fifth Element & Spiderman will be difinitely in my list!  :)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Seems to me the dust will settle on which format wins sometime in 2007.  By that time, Plasma TV will most likely settle to a price level around the $1000 range or lower as most consumers in the US and Europe will have been equipped with HDTV sets.  Then take another 2-3 years before the new formats appear locally with enough titles to choose from.  We're talking 2010 already.  By that time, the exchange rate may be around 70 to 1. I'd be the president of a company or have won the lotto already.  ;D (The latter preffered.  I wish.  ;D)  Then I can afford to overhaul my collection and set-up to the new formats.  ;D