Author Topic: DVD-busters: HD-DVD, Blu-ray discs and EVD  (Read 73676 times)

Offline AICRAG

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Do unto others before they do unto you
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I'll "wait and see" first....
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
We're talking 2010 already.  By that time, the exchange rate may be around 70 to 1. I'd be the president of a company or have won the lotto already.  ;D (The latter preffered.  I wish.  ;D)  Then I can afford to overhaul my collection and set-up to the new formats.  ;D

Yeah, there's a possibility that it'll reach 2010 but then again....something new will catch up e.g. Super Ultra HD-DVD??  :P After winning the lotto, guess you'll most probably set up your own in-house cinema na (with minimum 100 seats capacity)with the world's best video display & audio system! Then u start giving out invitaions to all PinoyDVD members to attend the Grand Opening pa Hehe  ;D   

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
2 lang? What happen to Spiderman? I though everyone loves Spidey. Hehe bad boy Spidey....must have done something naughty  ;D

For me, I have so many.....but Fifth Element & Spiderman will be difinitely in my list!  :)

Gusto ko lang yung may sequel na continous storyline.   Kung isang movie lang in a Blu-Ray eh dvd pa rin.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
Re: DVD-busters: HD-DVD, Blu-ray discs and EVD
« Reply #183 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 02:38 PM »
November 29, 2004 (1:04 PM EST)

Blue Day For Blu-ray: Movie Studios Back Toshiba's HD-DVD
By W. David Gardner, TechWeb.com

A group of movie studios threw support Monday behind Toshiba Corp.'s high-definition HD-DVD format and, thereby, drew a line in the sand against Sony Corp.'s competing next-generation Blu-ray DVD technology.

Siding with the Toshiba standard were General Electric's Universal studios, Viacom's Paramount, and Time Warner's Warner Brothers. All said they plan to offer DVD movies before the 2005 holiday season. Lined up against the Toshiba group are Sony's MGM studios and its Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment unit, as well as a number of other manufacturers. "     ...

xxx

Full text: http://www.techweb.com/wire/hardware/54200929
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2004 at 02:42 PM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 02:56 PM »
If not mistaken, Sony's MGM and Columbia Tri-star combined have more than half the world's box-office hit movie titles.  So they can go it on their own.  We could be  back for another  beta vs VHS episode.   ;D

Offline bukoy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Jan 05, 2005 at 04:38 PM »
Bibile ako nyan pag ang mga HDTV projection TV at Plasma display ay sing presyo n nga standard CART TV.  Kasi nakakapanghinayang naman kung bibile ka nyan na alam natin n napakamahal tapos gagamitin mo lang sya sa standard TV para kalang din nanood ng DVD nyan eh di mag DVD ka nalang muna? Well me option ka naman kung gusto mo syang mapanood in Hi-res mode ikabit mo sya sa monitor ng PC mo un kc can produce Hi-res of motion display un nga lang tiyaga ka sa 17"inch screen.  O di kaya hintayin nalang nating lumabas ang PS3/Playstation 3 which uses HD-DVD/Blue Ray Disc media...Im sure it also plays DVD/HD-DVD movies at least isang gastusan nalang diba?

http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/blu-ray5.htm
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2005 at 05:01 PM by bukoy »

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1242
« Reply #186 on: Jan 07, 2005 at 12:35 PM »
from Yahoo Financial News:
Press Release Source: Warner Home Video

Warner Home Video to Release Over 50 Film Titles on HD DVD
Thursday January 6, 8:45 pm ET 

Home Video Leader Plans Release of New and Catalog Titles Beginning Q4 2005

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 6, 2005--Warner Home Video (WHV), which distributes the largest film library of any studio, will announce today at a press conference at CES 2005 that it plans to release over 50 new and catalog titles, including selections from New Line Home Entertainment and HBO Video, during the launch of HD DVD, the next generation digital video format, commencing in the fourth quarter of 2005.

"We're proud to continue our longstanding tradition of innovation and leadership in home video by debuting an exciting selection of new releases on HD DVD that will be accompanied by time tested favorites from our extensive library," said Jim Cardwell, President, Warner Home Video. "HD DVD is the future of home entertainment and is the format that will lead us into the high definition entertainment era. It will create new and exciting opportunities for consumers to enjoy their favorite movies, TV series, sports programming, children's entertainment, documentaries and other specialized titles with unprecedented picture and sound quality, advanced navigation and interactivity and increased security."

The press conference will feature a dazzling demonstration of HD DVD highlighted by an exclusive first look of clips from Warner Bros. Pictures pre-theatrical releases to be issued by Warner Home Video on HD DVD. These HD DVD clips will include footage of Christian Bale in Batman Begins, Keanu Reeves in Constantine and Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka in Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

"Warner Home Video's endorsement creates a deep and diverse base of content support for HD DVD," said Marsha King, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Warner Home Video. "It ensures that consumers will be able to enjoy an impressive collection of their favorite movies, TV series and other entertainment as they have never seen them before -- in high definition and with HD DVD's rich features."

Planned HD DVD releases from the extensive Warner Home Video library include such recent theatrical releases as Ocean's Twelve, The Polar Express, and The Phantom of the Opera as well as titles from the hugely successful Matrix and Harry Potter franchises.

New Line Home Entertainment and HBO Video, owners of such esteemed motion picture and television titles as Rush Hour series and The Sopranos respectively, also plan to issue releases in conjunction with their distribution partner Warner Home Video in support of the launch of HD DVD.

"New Line Home Entertainment has always been at the forefront of industry innovation, and our involvement in the launch of HD DVD signals our continued commitment to the evolution of home entertainment," said Stephen Einhorn, President and Chief Operation Officer, New Line Entertainment. "In support of HD DVD and to provide consumers with a compelling new entertainment experience, we're planning to issue a selection of our most exciting films in the format including such titles as Se7en, Blade, Rush Hour and Austin Powers."

"HD DVD represents an exciting new development that will significantly enhance the consumer's home entertainment experience," said Henry McGee, President, HBO Video. "We are backing the launch of HD DVD with a line-up of releases from HBO's highly acclaimed programming including the first season of The Sopranos and the miniseries Angels in America and From the Earth to the Moon."

Warner Bros. boasts the largest library of any motion picture studio with over 6,500 feature films, 40,000 TV episodes and 14,000 animated titles (with over 1,500 classic animated shorts). The library includes such world-renowned franchises as Superman, Batman, Friends, E.R. and The West Wing, as well as such contemporary theatrical hits as Oceans Eleven, Mystic River and The Last Samurai. The studio is expected to announce the release of an increasing amount of its content on HD DVD as its involvement with the format continues.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050106/65823_1.html
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2005 at 09:21 AM by jas »

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1242
« Reply #187 on: Jan 08, 2005 at 09:35 AM »
from DVD.ign.com:

HD-DVD Announces 89 Launch Titles
They're starting out with some good titles, too.

January 07, 2005 - This year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES) was starting to look pretty boring, with nothing but the usual hardware upgrades on display, but HD-DVD group made things a lot more interesting with the announcement of 89 titles for the format launch later this year.

Warner Home Video, which is spearheading the effort, will launch with 50 titles, and it's a much better collection than WHV used to launch DVD in 1997. The collection includes new films -- Constantine and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, plus all three of the Harry Potter and The Matrix films.

New Line Home Entertainment, a Warner subsidiary, has a few premium titles on the list -- Dark City, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery and Se7en -- big the big kahuna, The Lord of the Rings, isn't on the list.

The HD-DVD consortium also announced Thomson Consumer Electronics, which makes products under the RCA brand name, as its newest member. HD-DVD has been trailing Blu-ray in terms of OEM support, with only Toshiba, NEC and Sanyo announced as making HD-DVD drives, and NEC's drives are for PCs only.

Toshiba has announced it would begin delivering HD-DVD players and notebook PCs with HD-DVD drives in the fourth quarter of this year. NEC will deliver HD-DVD-ROM drives in September, and Sanyo will deliver HD-DVD players in Q4 of this year.

With the launch of Blu-ray pushed back to 2006, the Blu-ray group didn't have as much news at the show, at least for home theater enthusiasts. It did, however, have a big gaming announcement.

Since Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 3 will support Blu-ray, it should come as no surprise that Electronic Arts and Vivendi Universal, two of the biggest console game vendors in the market, have joined the Blu-ray Disc Association and will publish games in the Blu-ray format. That's a setback for Microsoft's Xbox 2, which has been leaning toward HD-DVD, but is not committed as yet. Microsoft will announce the Xbox 2 details at E3 later this year.

Complete list of HD-DVD launch titles:

Universal Home Entertainment titles:
The Bourne Supremacy
The Chronicles of Riddick
Van Helsing
Apollo 13
U-571
12 Monkeys
Dune
The Thing
End of Days
Backdraft
Waterworld
The Bone Collector
Spy Game
Pitch Black
Conan the Barbarian
Dante's Peak

Warner Home Video titles:
Above the Law
Alexander
Angels in America (HBO)
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (New Line)
Batman Begins
Blade (New Line)
Catwoman
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Constantine
Contact
Dark City (New Line)
The Dukes of Hazzard
Eraser
Executive Decision
Final Destination (New Line)
Friday (New Line)
From the Earth to the Moon (HBO)
The Fugitive
Gothika
Hard to Kill
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
House of Wax (2005)
The Last Samurai
The Mask (New Line)
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
Maverick
Million Dollar Baby
The Music Man
Mystic River
Next of Kin
North by Northwest
Ocean's Eleven
Ocean's Twelve
Passenger 57
The Perfect Storm
The Phantom of the Opera (2004)
The Player (New Line)
The Polar Express
Red Planet
Rush Hour (New Line)
Se7en (New Line)
Soldier
The Sopranos (HBO)
Spawn (New Line)
Swordfish
Troy
Under Siege
U.S. Marshals
Wild Wild West

Paramount Home Entertainment titles:
The Manchurian Candidate
Spongebob Squarepants
Elizabethtown
Coach Carter
Italian Job
School Of Rock
Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
Ghost
Grease
Mission Impossible 2
Black Rain
Save The Last Dance
Sleepy Hollow
U2 Rattle & Hum
Vanilla Sky
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Star Trek: First Contact
We Were Soldiers

-- Andy Patrizio

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Jan 08, 2005 at 11:05 AM »
Wow..can't wait to have a glimpse those movies at such high resolution! :) Hmm...I wonder by the time those HD-DVD/Blu-ray players are available in our local market what would the market price like....  ;D

Other than the price factor, those who can afford to venture out such 1st generation players while the war format is still heating up....well, suffice to say it's a BIG-BIG risk?....  :-[

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
Studios begin to announce HD- DVD titles for the fall
« Reply #189 on: Jan 08, 2005 at 07:09 PM »
Studios begin to announce HD- DVD titles for the fall

Paramount: Black Rain, Braveheart, Coach Carter, Elizabethtown, Forrest Gump, Ghost, Grease, The Italian Job, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, The Manchurian Candidate, Mission Impossible 2, Save the Last Dance, School of Rock, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Sleepy Hollow, The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie, Star Trek: First Contact, U2 Rattle & Hum, Vanilla Sky and We Were Soldiers.

Warner: Above the Law, Alexander, Angels in America (HBO), Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (New Line), Batman Begins, Blade (New Line), Catwoman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Constantine, Contact, Dark City (New Line), The Dukes of Hazzard, Eraser, Executive Decision, Final Destination (New Line), Friday (New Line), From the Earth to the Moon (HBO), The Fugitive, Gothika, Hard to Kill, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, House of Wax (2005), The Last Samurai, The Mask (New Line), The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Maverick, Million Dollar Baby, The Music Man, Mystic River, Next of Kin, North by Northwest, Ocean’s Eleven, Ocean’s Twelve, Passenger 57, The Perfect Storm, The Phantom of the Opera (2004), The Player (New Line), The Polar Express, Red Planet, Rush Hour (New Line), Se7en (New Line), Soldier, The Sopranos (HBO), Spawn (New Line), Swordfish, Troy, Under Siege, U.S. Marshals, and Wild Wild West.

Universal: The Bourne Supremacy, The Chronicles of Riddick, Van Helsing, Apollo 13, U-571, 12 Monkeys, Dune, The Thing, End of Days, Backdraft, Waterworld, The Bone Collector, Spy Game, Pitch Black, Conan the Barbarian, and Dante’s Peak.

http://www.dvdfile.com/

-----------

nice line up!! :)

available na ba ang hd-dvd players sa market?   ???

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2005 at 01:51 AM by hemisphere1234 »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Studios begin to announce HD- DVD tiles for the fall.
« Reply #190 on: Jan 08, 2005 at 07:19 PM »
Whoa another format to hit the market  :o.....this is scary man. What should I do with my dvds? Might become obsolete in the near future. Tsk, tsk, tsk.........  :(

Offline edgar23

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Jan 08, 2005 at 08:11 PM »
What will be the price range of these HD-DVDs??? 

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #192 on: Jan 08, 2005 at 09:42 PM »
If you get a Xbox 2/Next you'll probably have a HD-DVD player too. So I'm guessing first gen players will be pegged at around $299.

If you have a HDTV display it is a must buy upgrade. I'm already making arrangements to get one.  O0

Good thing I didnt get the Matrix boxset. I'd be steaming right now. ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2005 at 09:55 PM by DViant »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Jan 08, 2005 at 10:56 PM »
If you get a Xbox 2/Next you'll probably have a HD-DVD player too. So I'm guessing first gen players will be pegged at around $299. If you have a HDTV display it is a must buy upgrade. I'm already making arrangements to get one.  O0
Good thing I didnt get the Matrix boxset. I'd be steaming right now. ;)

Yep many are indeed hoping Xbox 2 will feature HDDVD playback capability. So far Microsoft has said nothing official about any "new system". Let's see the "good news" will be announced soon....  ;) However, for movie purists, they will certainly prefer standalone players.  :D

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #194 on: Jan 08, 2005 at 11:36 PM »
DANG! New format na naman!!  :P

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
Re: Studios begin to announce HD- DVD tites for the fall
« Reply #195 on: Jan 09, 2005 at 01:36 AM »
warner home video's press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050106/65823_1.html

not sure about price.. but i guess it would be more expensive initially...

8)

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
Re: Studios begin to announce HD- DVD titles for the fall
« Reply #196 on: Jan 09, 2005 at 08:32 AM »
the problem is we would need to buy new players again! the optics needed to read HD-DVD are different just like the difference between VCD & DVD! the laser needed to read the HD-DVD is colored blue (thus the blue ray tag also) versus the current red laser for DVDs -- I read somewhere that blue laser is more refined but a lot more expensive to manufacture...  >:(

The display also may need to be HD also

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Jan 09, 2005 at 12:31 PM »
I hope that dvds are here to stay as long as new format arrive in the market. Just like the compact discs.

It will be difficult on our part if the current dvds will become obsolete like the beta tapes before.

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #198 on: Jan 10, 2005 at 12:56 AM »
anong upgrade ng blue ray discs from dvd's?
LAKAD PILIPINAS: Explore the Philippines & Beyond

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #199 on: Jan 10, 2005 at 02:16 AM »
Yep many are indeed hoping Xbox 2 will feature HDDVD playback capability. So far Microsoft has said nothing official about any "new system". Let's see the "good news" will be announced soon....  ;) However, for movie purists, they will certainly prefer standalone players.  :D
I'm 99.99% sure M$ will go for HD DVD as one of their technologies (WMV9) is part of the standard. It would look silly for them to have BD-ROM based video console.

Lest we forget DVDs only took off in the mass market after the introduction of the PS2. ;) Before then DVD Video players were so expesive that it wasnt accessible to the masses.

On the flip side though HD DVD & BD will only replace DVDs if the price of HD displays drop significantly. What's the point to upgrade if you cant access the features that makes this format exceptional?

I find it odd that New Line will not come out with LotR on HD DVD. It would've sold more than Dark City, Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery and Se7en combined.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2005 at 02:23 AM by DViant »

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Jan 10, 2005 at 07:48 AM »
the data compression of hd-dvd uses mpeg4 vs the mpeg2 used by current dvds  meaning more data can be fit into a standard disc thus clearer video and better audio

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 08:32 AM »
can hd-dvd players read our current dvds  ???

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 09:35 AM »
can hd-dvd players read our current dvds  ???

yup, these players are backward compatible hence they'll be able to read our current dvds, although i have read an article that says only those in anamorphic format can be played on this HD players, am not sure if this is accurate though..... 8)
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2005 at 09:47 AM by classicman »

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • I like DVD's music and Blu-rays.
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 10:15 AM »
For the meantime, since there are gonna be two players in the market HD-DVD and Blu-ray, I wanna wait another year or two after these standards are released to see who makes it. Besides, HD-DVD owns 50% of the market and so does Blu-ray. It's a relief for me to know that New Line hasn't scheduled Lord of the Rings for the the HD-DVD release which gives hope that they might be waiting for the Blu-ray.

As for the manufacturing cost, all new technology cost a whopper in the first to second year of production since they're still trying to ROI on all the cost they incurred in research and development. As for the manufacturing cost of the new discs, it's only gonna be a minor fraction of a cost higher than current DVDs and would soon decrease to current DVD production cost in the future.

I support Blu-ray because I think it's a superior technology and there are more backers for Blu-ray.

Offline Maxster

• Collector
  • I like DVD's music and Blu-rays.
  • Liked:
Re: DVD Killer: Blu-ray Disc
« Reply #204 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 10:22 AM »
Can't help but think, What would be the feeling of having a scratched blu-ray disc with your favorite movies in it. ::)

Part of the technical protection they're offering for Blu-ray discs is its high resistance to scratches due to a special technology they applied in securing the disc surface. This is separate from the cartridge it comes in. They're applying a special film to cover the disc surface kind of like D-skin.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #205 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 03:18 PM »
from DVDfile.com

2004: DVD Grows Up
by Mike Restaino

The release of Star Wars Episodes IV, V, and VI on DVD this year - inarguably the mass-market event that defined home entertainment in 2004 - may have made wonderful stocking stuffers for the grade-A plasma TV nerds in your extended family, but there’s something that most DVD aficionados aren’t acknowledging about this release: it’s the end of an era.

We all have our favorite films - big and small - and many of them are now available on DVD in one version or another (some are movie-only, some are mega-editions), but the Star Wars trilogy (notice how I don’t refer to them as the "original trilogy" - grrrrrr) is the last big-ass modern film to get a hunca-munca DVD release.

Think about it. A few years ago, your beloved DVDFile had a top-ten lust list that ranked the movies that had yet to appear in DVD format. Times have changed. People wanted E.T. - they got it. Indiana Jones - done. Even Gone With the Wind - the biggest inflation-corrected box office earner in the history of motion pictures - was on shelves in time for Christmas 2004.

There are very few left.

This means that DVD’s cute and adorable childhood is officially kaput. Those little silver discs we all love so much are now in full-blown adolescence, complete with acne attacks and pregnancy scares that come with the onset of pubescent development. Now that even chains like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video are almost entirely DVD-oriented, the format can no longer be considered a novelty item, but it must continue to generate heat in an ever-expanding market.

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #206 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 03:21 PM »
There is an interesting (and lengthy) article about HD-DVDs from DVDfile HERE

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 03:43 PM »
There is an interesting (and lengthy) article about HD-DVDs from DVDfile HERE

Good link Quentacky  ;) Yeah...it's scary to invest now esp the format war in ongoing. I wouldn't want to invest in any 1st gen players that's for sure... Not only it's expensive but also risky.... Well, let's wait & see the outcome.

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 04:38 PM »
nicely said Quentacky, you hit the nail right on its head. my hope only is that old age wont come to dvd's like a theft in the night.

Offline nicomd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 06:30 PM »
End of an era for DVDs?? Naah, I doubt it. Maybe in the U.S. it may come sooner, but remember that ours is  third world country. Just look at how those VCDs are still selling like pancakes at P75 to P150 each here in the Philippines, even if they are obsolete in the U.S.

In my opinion, the DVD craze is just beginning here in the Philippines,  with all those unbranded DVD players being sold. The market is just shifting from VCD to DVD.  Even the latest releases still come out in VCDs way before the DVD format comes. (Yung ibang titles, wala pa nga sa DVD). In the next few years, we may see the slow phasing out of VCDs, so that most major releases will be out on DVDs. The good thing is that prices of DVDs will soon go down. (Remember when VCDs used to retail for P450 each?)