Author Topic: DVD-busters: HD-DVD, Blu-ray discs and EVD  (Read 73849 times)

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DVD-busters: HD-DVD, Blu-ray discs and EVD
« Reply #330 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 01:46 PM »
Include Sony's SXRD technology in the 1080p list. Plus, of course, CRTs; some have resolution that is way above 1080...
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 06:01 PM by slowhand »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #331 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 04:47 PM »
That may change very soon as each manufacturer is competing & developing its own unique HD technology..to reach the 1080p nirvana  :D

So far there are four brands in the US that offer this 1080p HDTV: JVC (LCoS), SONY (SXRD), Samsung (DLP) & Mitsubishi (DLP)

**edited: left out Samsung  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 05:34 PM by pchin »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 05:16 PM »
Just goes to show that the HDTV's we are buying now (and are very happy with) will be obsolete again ...soon.

It seems like yesterday when I was very happy (and satisfied) with a RP HDTV (2 years ago). And when LCD & plasma prices started dropping, the RPTV seemed more undesirable as days went by  ;D.

Now that I upgraded the RPTV,  I wonder when I will feel that way with my current displays. ???

Estimate: 2 years?

SIGH, this just never ends.  :'(

WHY, OH WHY are we just poor victims of this cruel marketing driven world aimed at getting our hard earned money away from our pockets!?  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 05:19 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 10:44 PM »
That's true MAtZTER  ;D Those pretty marketing shud be banned totally eh  :P

What's your FPJ native resolution? Sigh....it's always sad to know our investment will become obsolete one day esp more advance & better ones are coming out plus with a drop of price...  :-[ Anyway as long as we have the min 720p & HDMI, we can still enjoy our HD displays for many years to come not unless we want to write off the value & depreciate it within 2 years time??  ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2006 at 10:46 PM by pchin »

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Mar 13, 2006 at 11:08 PM »

SIGH, this just never ends.  :'(

WHY, OH WHY are we just poor victims of this cruel marketing driven world aimed at getting our hard earned money away from our pockets!?  ;D

sir MatZ, i'd read it somewhere that it's NOT wise to invest on upgrading our A/V gears at the moment (most especially our 'displays') coz of the onslaught of HD/BR, to w/c i fully concur...... 8)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 12:13 AM »
It's always hard to determine when is the right time to upgrade our AV gears as the world is changing rapidly :)

This year SONY SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) has taken the world by storm. After a year or two, perhaps the new generation of high-quality large flat-screen display, the SED (Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display) may take over SONY or the possibility of a new manufacturer may even invent a totally new superior technology, etc. Just like VHS to VCD to DVD and now to HD DVD/BD. In a few more years, another new higher definition media could emerge....it never ends  :-[

Hence, probably there's no right or wrong time to upgrade our AV equips as long as we've taken every reasonable step to ensure our investments are protected or at least will not become obsolete way too fast say within the next 5 years...(eh this is too conservative noh)  ;D   For HDTV nowdays, most of the concerned issues are iron out while early adopters of either HD DVD or BD players are certainly facing much higher risks. The water is too hot to take a dip?  ;D   

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 08:14 AM »
hay...your right guys...never ending hobby natin...n ang bilis pa ng technology, parang kakabili ko lang ng dlp ko ha! hehe oh well...gluk to all of us with these upcoming technologies!

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 08:38 AM »
My favorite a/v salesman has the perfect reply to an early adopter like me. When I say, "maghihintay na lang ako, siguradong mas-maganda pa yung mga dadating," he smiles and says... "tama ka, bossing, kaya lang nga, ibig sabihin non ay ... wala ka pa!"

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 10:41 AM »
My favorite a/v salesman has the perfect reply to an early adopter like me. When I say, "maghihintay na lang ako, siguradong mas-maganda pa yung mga dadating," he smiles and says... "tama ka, bossing, kaya lang nga, ibig sabihin non ay ... wala ka pa!"

ROFL  :D

It's always hard to determine when is the right time to upgrade our AV gears as the world is changing rapidly :)

Hence, probably there's no right or wrong time to upgrade our AV equips as long as we've taken every reasonable step to ensure our investments are protected or at least will not become obsolete way too fast say within the next 5 years...(eh this is too conservative noh)  ;D   For HDTV nowdays, most of the concerned issues are iron out while early adopters of either HD DVD or BD players are certainly facing much higher risks. The water is too hot to take a dip? ;D   

Native res of my PJ is 720.  :)

I agree fully. Which comes to the comparison of a basic necessity as a cellphone. Cellphones have a  very short time being a hot model. It only takes 6 months and there would be newer, sleeker, feature laden model to take the throne. I always hear from people " I will wait for it to get cheaper" but by the time it gets cheaper, there is a newer , hotter phone beckoning you to buy it.

The secret? aside from going into being a hermit away from the city and technology, is contentment. I read somewhere that contentment is the whole secret of well being. Thats why from that time on, I knew I was...unwell  ;D ;D ;D.

« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2006 at 10:44 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 10:59 AM »

The secret? aside from going into being a hermit away from the city and technology, is contentment. I read somewhere that contentment is the whole secret of well being. Thats why from that time on, I knew I was...unwell  ;D ;D ;D.

hahaha!!! LOL!!  witness ako rito......dito ko nalaman that HPO isnt the cure for SARS....its contentment.   ;D ;D  oh btw....with the advent of HD and its players comes the advent too of new surround sound formats DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS/DOLBY TRUE-HD/DTS-HD(click)
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2006 at 11:04 AM by Munskie »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Mar 14, 2006 at 12:45 PM »
I read somewhere that contentment is the whole secret of well being. Thats why from that time on, I knew I was...unwell  ;D ;D ;D.

Yes indeed.. I need to revive my self contentment & learn from the excellent guru  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
HD DVD to launch without any movies
« Reply #341 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 10:59 AM »
"Despite the recent good news that Disney is considering the format, HD DVD backers have had little encouraging news recently. That trend continues with today's announcement that Warner Home Video will not be releasing HD DVD movies on March 28, after all. This means that early adopters will have to wait until sometime in April to get their hands on U2's Rattle and Hum documentary, the first title to be released in the new format."

Full article: http://feeds.feedburner.com/arstechnica/BAaf?m=2091

From another source "Warner Home Video, the only studio that in January had set a firm date, March 28, for its first high-definition DVD titles to arrive in stores, now says it might not be ready in time because of technical problems."

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 07:59 PM »
w/ the onslaught of BD & HD DVD, i think it will be interesting to guess or even make a friendly bet on who among the pinoydvd members will create & first post on a new thread "Most recently viewed BD/HD DVD"....... 8)

my hard earned money goes for paul (a.k.a. pchin). any takers...... ;D

anyone who would like to make a friendly bet ::) ;D.......you're still my man paul, JUST GO FOR IT!!! 8)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Mar 15, 2006 at 11:42 PM »
Leo, we shall soon find out the truth hehe  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Sony Won’t Downconvert Blu-ray HD on Old HDTVs
« Reply #344 on: Mar 16, 2006 at 12:10 AM »
Here's finally some good news :)

Full article: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...dtvs-160358.php

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Warner pushes HD DVD titles to April
« Reply #345 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 10:32 AM »
Finally as many have expected.... ;D

"Warner Home Video Thursday finally revealed the first details of its plan to market HD DVD titles, including pricing, special features, projected sales and an initial street date of April 18—three weeks after the March 28 launch the studio had originally planned."

"The studio has set new release HD DVD prices at a list price of $34.99, versus the $28.99 for catalog."

Full article: http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6316722.html

$34.99!! Yikes  :o

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 10:54 AM »
Do you have any idea how much DVD's cost when they were introduced in the market?  para reference lang

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 12:22 PM »
yikes nga $34.99.....plus shipping pa! :o

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: Mar 17, 2006 at 03:34 PM »
Do you have any idea how much DVD's cost when they were introduced in the market?  para reference lang

I wasn't an early adopter so I can't say for sure how much during the early days. My first R4 DVD movie in 2000 cost me about AU$30..that's about P1,200. If I'm not mistaken, the cost nowdays range btw P700 to P999 for a one or two-disc edition.

If the new HD DVD movie will cost US$$34.99 each..that's about P1,800 at today's exchange rate. Very expensive! Eventually price will indeed drop....guess we'll have to be patient lang  ;D

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #349 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 03:24 PM »
Here's a menu screenshot of Batman Begins in HD-DVD

From DVDTown

What we see is the menu on top of the movie playing in the background. You can also see a small video playing on top of this. So think layers when it comes to the next-gen menu systems of HD-DVD.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2006 at 04:12 PM by Quitacet »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 04:05 PM »
exciting!!! ganda ng pq based on that image  ;D ;D

kakatakot lang pag early adopter ka, baka in a few months time lang...me bagong features na yung player, tapus mas mababa pa....

Offline baby

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • who are you calling a llama???
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 08:31 PM »
exciting!!! ganda ng pq based on that image  ;D ;D

kakatakot lang pag early adopter ka, baka in a few months time lang...me bagong features na yung player, tapus mas mababa pa....
Masarap pag early adapters ka.  You will enjoy it first.  Pero yun nga in a few months time the prices will eventualy go down due to competition at syempre the companies are testing their market.  It they sell many and prices might even go up.  Pero if konti lang malamang they will drop the prices.  Law of supply and demand ika nga.  Pero nangangati na kamay ko at mata ko para makakita ng 1080i na batman begins or LOTR series.  Ang sarap siguro manuod nun for sure.  And also yun uncompressed sound formats ng dts and dolby.  So ibig sabihin nun.  from digital to digital.  No more decompression or conversion ang mangyayari right?  I'm not that expert guy na may alam sa mga conversion,from dital to analog or whatever they call it.  Basta I'm sure it's gonna make us happy.  Best picture and sound quality.  Mas maganda pa keysa manuod sa glorietta. :)  May superbit edition pa kaya ang mga HD-DVD or blu ray? ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: Mar 18, 2006 at 09:28 PM »
Good to know that SONY has decided not to implement the ICT that will down-rezz HD resolution over analog connection. This will indeed be a very good news esp for those early adopters whose HDTV only use component. If HD DVD does use the ICT, this will give Blu-ray a nice advantage  :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Toshiba delays release of HD DVD players
« Reply #353 on: Mar 22, 2006 at 05:06 PM »
Toshiba, one of the companies promoting the HD DVD standard, showed their first round of players (the HD-A1 and HD-XA1) at the Consumer Electronics Show in January. At the time, the company planned to release these models some time in March. However, Toshiba has now announced that they will not appear until at least the middle of April, in order to coincide with the release of the first batch of HD DVD movies:

The earliest possible date for the release of the players would thus be April 18, which is when Warner Home Video plans to release the titles Million Dollar Baby, The Last Samurai, and The Phantom of the Opera in HD DVD format.

Retail prices for HD DVD movies are set at US$28.99, slightly less than the expected US$35 price for Blu-ray movies.

Full article: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060321-6426.html
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2006 at 05:08 PM by pchin »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
Sony Blu-Ray Desktops, Laptops & Players
« Reply #354 on: Mar 22, 2006 at 05:12 PM »
Headlining Sony’s new product debuts are the BDP-S1 Blu-ray Disc player and the VAIO RC desktop computer. The player is targeted to ship in July for about $1000.

The BD player is designed to deliver 1920x1080p output, the highest HD signal output currently available through an HDMI connection. The player supports various high quality video codecs, including MPEG-2, MPEG4-AVC and VC1. Analogue component output for 1080i has been included so people who own HD-capable televisions without HDMI can enjoy the Blu-ray Disc experience.

The new BDP-S1 model is compatible with standard DVDs with the added feature of 1080p upscaling through HDMI, which gives new life to existing DVDs libraries

Full article: http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=3071

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 09:46 AM »
pchin, thanks for constantly keeping us updated on these developments. may the first blu-ray player on this forum be yours! cheers.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
First Blu-ray/HD DVD players will lack managed copy support
« Reply #356 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 12:24 PM »
slowhand,  haha I wish I'll get a HD player soon but due to the initial high cost....mahirap eh..also as usual there are always many risks associated with first gen players  :-[  Here's the latest news on such issue:

"As HD-DVD and Blu-ray are getting ready for their launch under the interim license agreement for AACS copy protection, all the first round of players launched under this agreement will not offer any managed copy support, regardless of what interfaces the player may have and no firmware updates will be made available to offer such support either.  Basically, all players released under the interim license will function as basic players."

Full article: http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13215

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 01:24 PM »
I have to get one of these....with this consumer act/law... you may return any merchandise within the 30 days from the 1st day it was bought.(if im not happy)full credit or refund. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nothing to lose!

peace!!!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
I have to get one of these....with this consumer act/law... you may return any merchandise within the 30 days from the 1st day it was bought.(if im not happy)full credit or refund. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nothing to lose!

peace!!!
buti kapa aldrin...your consumer rights are well protected there....unlike here...consumerism leaves much to be desired.... :(

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Mar 23, 2006 at 11:47 PM »
Just some of the more than 100 movies scheduled for launch
on Blu-ray Disc during the first wave of releases
(Titles subject to change)

Sony Pictures/MGM — 20 titles, including: