Author Topic: DVD-busters: HD-DVD, Blu-ray discs and EVD  (Read 73258 times)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: DVD-busters: HD-DVD, Blu-ray discs and EVD
« Reply #450 on: Jun 25, 2006 at 09:26 PM »
Yeah as with any new technology, bounds to have bugs in the initial stage & lots of problem. Give it a few years to mature...  :)

Offline barrid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #451 on: Jun 26, 2006 at 04:13 AM »
Noticed that all the Blu-ray disc at Walmart  doesn't have a Special Features. But cost below $20. I'll stay with DVD for now.  :)
There's something to learn everyday

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #452 on: Jun 26, 2006 at 09:59 AM »
I 2nd that  ;)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #453 on: Jun 26, 2006 at 05:09 PM »

Samsung:  First Blu-ray player

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=5880

===================================

You've heard of HVD's (holographic versatile disc) 3.9 Terabyte capacity?  Wala 'yan sa lolo ko.

The Hyper CD, which has a 10 Terabyte capacity, is patented in 21 countries including the USA, Canada and Japan.

http://www.dntb.ro/users/frdbuc/hyper-cdrom/hyper.htm

http://www.playfuls.com/news_03165_Blu_Ray_and_HD_DVD_beaten_by_the_Hyper_CD.html
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2006 at 07:28 PM by barrister »

Offline barracuda

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #455 on: Jun 27, 2006 at 03:38 PM »
I've learned my lesson from the whole SACD and DVD-Audio experience I'm going to hold off getting a blu ray player until its already an established format ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #456 on: Jul 04, 2006 at 10:57 AM »
I've opined in another thread that the video industry seems to repeating the mistakes of the audio industry.  This is the battle royale between SACD and DVD-A that somehow never made a dent on the CD's position as the dominant audio format.   Audioholics seems to get it right - a format war, very few titles,  and the absence of any timebound gameplan from recording studios to phase out the old format ensured both DVD-A and SACD can only muster a small niche market.    In fact, in the age of internet downloadable audio streams, the emergence of MP3 over the last few years seems to indicate it is now head to head with CD as the dominant audio format and could be the one to overtake CD. 

The same could happen to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.  With such underwhelming debuts from either camps, it will be a long steep climb for either to phase-out the very popular DVD format.  The only way to phase out DVD is for the studios to declare no more new titles in DVD format - something I doubt they will do.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #457 on: Jul 31, 2006 at 04:58 PM »
Blu-ray: Can it Survive?
Evan Powell
July 14, 2006

Excerpts:

"... The HD-DVD image was much higher in contrast and showed beautiful detail in high resolution that was completely lost in the DVD. It was smoother, cleaner, and much more three-dimensional. The standard DVD looked surprisingly dull and grainy in comparison. ...

"The Blu-ray launch delivered a rude surprise—picture quality that is moderately better than that available on standard DVD, but not rising to the level of anything one could call high definition. ... "

Full text:  http://www.projectorcentral.com/blu-ray_2.htm
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2006 at 05:02 PM by barrister »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #458 on: Aug 17, 2006 at 03:25 PM »
Avforums are also trouncing on the poor performance of the blu-ray debut.  It seeems SONY is heading the same road as it did with its Beta format.  Too early to tell?   Maybe. 

But whichever wins, I have doubts HD will ever supplant regular DVDs.  Firstly, the reluctance and outright refusal of major brands to licence the technology to CHINA will gurantee it will never approach the price levels of DVD players at this time.  And with no pirated titles (unless another eropean kid hacks into it)  the regular ttiles will be priced too high for the ordinary juan.   Not to mention the HD displays which I doubt would even go sub-50T in the local market in the next 5 years.   Further ensuring that HD will remain a niche player for the moneyed class. 

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #459 on: Aug 18, 2006 at 01:18 AM »
Totally agree with av_phile1  ;)

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #460 on: Aug 18, 2006 at 12:14 PM »
Seems to me that these new technologies are not DVD-BUSTERS after all.  ;D
There's something to learn everyday

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #461 on: Aug 18, 2006 at 03:48 PM »
True.  But I just might have to eat my own words later than sooner   ;D  And I really wouldn't mind. 

Toshiba has just licensed HD-DVD technology to a number of manufacturers in China.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/20/business/dvd.php

This is direct contrast with the BR camp that considers this a threat to their profits and R&D investments.   I am glad Toshibia did what is best for consumers, not for the business.  But in the long run, with a sizeable market on their belt and with HD-DVD winning the format war, it will certainly to their benefit.  Soon, we can expect lost cost HD players to flood the world as China did for DVD players.  It probably won't be as cheap as those generic DVD players, because hardware royalties would now be paid to Toshiba.  But at least, it should be within reach of middle income wage earners not only here but everywhere.   
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2006 at 03:50 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: Aug 22, 2006 at 01:37 PM »
True.  But I just might have to eat my own words later than sooner   ;D  And I really wouldn't mind. 

Toshiba has just licensed HD-DVD technology to a number of manufacturers in China.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/20/business/dvd.php

This is direct contrast with the BR camp that considers this a threat to their profits and R&D investments.   I am glad Toshibia did what is best for consumers, not for the business.  But in the long run, with a sizeable market on their belt and with HD-DVD winning the format war, it will certainly to their benefit.  Soon, we can expect lost cost HD players to flood the world as China did for DVD players.  It probably won't be as cheap as those generic DVD players, because hardware royalties would now be paid to Toshiba.  But at least, it should be within reach of middle income wage earners not only here but everywhere.   

Hmm , its not surprising for Sony to think this way. Good move for Toshiba. good for us consumers.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 02:18 AM »
The case of the Terminator trilogy is truly absurd.  If you want it in Hi-Def, you'll need both a Blu-Ray player AND an HD-DVD player.  Terminator 1 & 2 are in Blu-Ray format; Terminator 3 is in HD-DVD format.   

Man, what a mess!

----------------------------------------

Amusing article:

Swanni's 2006 'HD Horribles'  http://www.tvpredictions.com/fall2006hd092706.htm

Swanni's 2006 'HD Honeys'    http://www.tvpredictions.com/fallparttwo092706.htm
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2006 at 12:35 PM by barrister »

Offline sandbox51ph

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: Jan 29, 2011 at 07:28 AM »
Reading of this thread, Rise of the Blue rays na! hehe...alot of our fellow Pinoydvd members has upgraded to he next level...
Sony STR-DN1030
Sony STR-DN730
Sansui AU-D607X
Wharedale 220 and 22C
Onkyo 7.2

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: Jun 26, 2018 at 12:03 PM »
In fact, in the age of internet downloadable audio streams, the emergence of MP3 over the last few years seems to indicate it is now head to head with CD as the dominant audio format and could be the one to overtake CD. 

The same could happen to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.  With such underwhelming debuts from either camps, it will be a long steep climb for either to phase-out the very popular DVD format.  The only way to phase out DVD is for the studios to declare no more new titles in DVD format - something I doubt they will do.

How prophetic. Disc based movies are being sidelined by movies and shows available online and at 4k quality

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #466 on: Jun 26, 2018 at 01:27 PM »
How prophetic. Disc based movies are being sidelined by movies and shows available online and at 4k quality
Applicable on the high end and non-technophobe. For people who are scared of technology released since 2008 then discs still rule.

I am rather thankful the last DVD I bought was the Two Towers Extended Edition way back in 2003. I wouldnt have bought a new TV if it weren't for Netflix's 4K streams.

Although compression and bitrate of streaming content diminishes image quality vs disc.