Author Topic: SONY BRAVIA LCD TV Owners Thread (Share Experiences, Settings, Problems)  (Read 106118 times)

Offline redline

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
am in the market for a bravia. sale e. is there a way to know if the units being sold now by the avid/sony stores have the upgraded software that solves the power on/off problem? thanks in advance.

Offline ultraman

• Collector
  • mama mia!!! mama mia!!!
  • Liked:
Re: sony bravia
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006 at 09:32 PM »
^^^Yup. Ayos na daw mga units nila.

Best deal din tong bravia. 32in nila sells for 99k na lang and pwede pa syang installment for 24 months at 0% interest. Tempting.... hehe..

Offline jsllobrera

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006 at 05:20 PM »
Sana nga pati v-series ibaba na nila ang presyo. Actually sa japan nga , bagsak na ang presyo ng mga lcd tv na may HDMI at kaya dapat lang ibaba na nila yan.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006 at 11:59 PM »
bagsak ang presyo ng Bravia sa Japan compared to the likes of Sharp dahil the Sony panel is made in Korea by Samsung, unlike Sharp na all made in Japan pa rin...and besides, there seems to be something wrong with the Sony color kapag katabi ng Sharp side by side.

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006 at 06:50 AM »
What is wrong with the Sony Color?

I am planning to get the 32" which is priced at 159k. The model is KLV-V32A10
http://www.sony.com.ph/wega/detail.asp?product_id=911&cat_id=3&subcat_id=29&subcat2_id=0

May HDMI input na yon.

Getting ready for HD Gaming experience.

Will that Sony Bravia be compatible with Sony PS3's HDMI Out?

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006 at 06:51 AM by nels76 »
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2006 at 08:48 PM »
bagsak ang presyo ng Bravia sa Japan compared to the likes of Sharp dahil the Sony panel is made in Korea by Samsung, unlike Sharp na all made in Japan pa rin...and besides, there seems to be something wrong with the Sony color kapag katabi ng Sharp side by side.

Is this true ? Sony LCD panels outsourced to Samsung in Korea ?

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2006 at 11:34 AM »
Is this true ? Sony LCD panels outsourced to Samsung in Korea ?

That is not a secret at all and that is not a big deal considering the advanced capabilities of Samsung in LCD manufacturing...Medyo kinain lang ng Sony ang sariling pride in order to compete with Sharp especially in the huge Japanese market where quality counts the most.    Quantity wise I believe Samsung sells the most LCD panel of various specs and sizes and uses worldwide, but they cannot manage to compete well enough within Japan dahil sa taas ng pride ng Japanese consumers on their own TV brands.  So it's quite a huge opportunity and very profitable venture for Samsung to be able to sell a lot of their high profit margin top end HDTV quality LCDs through a renowned Japanese brand like Sony.

I'm working for one of the Japanese engg companies that endlessly expands Samsung gigantic LCD plants.  The highly efficient and cost effective Samsung 7th gen plant produces the Sony panels, kaya it was a very practical decision for Sony to tie-up with Samsung.   and it has certainly helped Sony a lot to catch-up somehow with Sharp in the Japanese LCD HDTV market...quite a big reversal of role really...Sharp was always regarded as a producer of some of the cheapest but lowly regarded TVs..now they are the most respected LCD maker in Japan.  Sharp is to LCD as Panasonic is to Plasma...Canon and Hitachi should be able to commercialize SED TV in a few years time which promises to trounce all existing HDTV panel technology, while dear Sony is struggling to regain its old glory...but still making tons of money in movie producing and guess what, insurance, banking and beauty product business.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2006 at 11:58 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2006 at 10:36 PM »
Wow... quite interesting... thanks for sharing your insights...  ::)

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 08:50 PM »
The 32" V series is available with 24 months 0% interest.............tempting ;D........I saw this at the avant store in greenbelt the PQ was impressive (the store was using component cables connected to a mini component, I can only imagine what the picture quality would be like using HDMI and a uspcaling dvd player or even blu ray :o).........but the price tag is really steep........159k :P :'(......double the price of the other LCD brand I was looking at...but i'm undecided if the PQ is really twice the quality....because I really liked the PQ of the sony I didn't have to analyze it, it was just great.....

Offline macx

• Collector
  • Hakuna Matata!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 09:45 PM »
Hopefully, by the time PS3 hits the market, the prices of these units should drop as well for reasons such as obsolescence, and proliferation of generic units.  ;D

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2006 at 10:48 PM »
Sana nga there's a price drop until december.

The Sony Bravia V Series is the LCD with the best PQ I have seen so far sa kakaikot sa mga appliance stores.

Iba talaga ang bigay ng picture.

I'll buy first a PS3 then bring the PS3 to the stores to test its 1080p capability.
Excited to see Gran Turismo HD on the Sony Bravia.

Otherwise, sa Samsung na lang ako pag kinapos ang Budget.

By the way, I was at MOA last Sunday and saw a customer buying the Bravia V Series 40" Display Model.
Astig. Di na siya nakapag-antay ng stock. This was at the SM Appliance Center.

Offline turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 03:10 AM »
1080p ba talaga ang bravia? can anyone confirm. o maglalabas palang sila nito

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 11:28 AM »
In Japan you can buy a 32V bravia for around the same figure (160K), kaso the currency is in Yen so nearly 45% lang ng cost sa Pinas.   Grabe difference.  Kung merong kayong kilalang OFW sa Japan, pabili nalang kayo dahil tax free ang OFW kahit anong item and the weight of a 32 inch LCD is just about the limit of a luggage (about 25kg).     then connect the Jap model to a local VHS with tuner.  solved.  kahit bayaran mo ng 20K fee yung OFW mura pa rin.

V series bravia has a resolution of 1366 x 768 or about 1M pixels

X series bravia which probably is not available outside Japan has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 or about 2M pixels which is the full HD broadcast spec at the moment in Japan (1080i) - I dont know sa US.  kaya 2M pixel panels are marketed as Full HD Capable LCDs.

Ok, granted meron HDMI connector ang bravia or any current model for that matter which should allow it to accept and display 1080p signal, two things, first, where is your source of 1080p signal at the moment (ok perhaps PS3/Blu-ray would be capable of it), and second, how would a standard 1M pixel panel or even a higher class 2M pixel panel actually handle 1080p signal (which need like 1080x2 horizontal lines)..lalabas at lalabas pa rin ang picture of course but dont expect it  to display the full 1080p wonder (kung ano man talaga ang ayos non).

Sa LCD HDTV, at the moment you really get what you pay for dahil the technology is still evolving, which is rather unfortunate dahil mahal pa talaga yung maganda.  tapos wala pang HD broadcast sa Philippines so the only ways to appreciate the capability of your set is to buy a 360, a PS3, blue-ray disk, HD-DVD disk and of course and HD videocam.  I am subscribed to TFC (ABS-CBN) via satellite TV here in Tokyo.  When viewed on a Sharp Aquos 32GD6, it really really really s**ks, but American SD broadcasts and Japanese SD broadcasts are "puidi na rin", except during the transition period from watching say NHK News in HD to SD broadcast...nasasanay din naman ang mata eventually.

Cheers

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 03:31 PM »
Thanks Clon.

The Salesman told me that the Bravia V Series is 1080p capable na daw. Which I know is an unreliable source.

But on the website, it was not mentioned. Kaya nalilito tuloy ako.
But I have read that the difference betwen 1080i and 1080p can only be distingushed on big display panel (more than 40" siguro).

I think the real 1080p Sony HDTV are the SXRD. It is already a 2MP.
And 1080p is being mentioned on the website.
http://products.sel.sony.com/hdtv/index.html?DCMP=hdtv_sony05&HQS=hdtv.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2006 at 05:28 PM »
Given the current HD broadcast standard, availability of HD contents and cost of HD capable devices and accessories, an HDTV capable of 720P or 1080i should suffice for many years.    pero kung meron din lang HDMI connectors, of course go for it.  the common assumption at the moment is that if a unit has HDMI, it is 1080p capable.  I don't know if that is absolutely true without any "but"...but still, a potentially 1080p-capable set is still better than a definitely 1080p-incompatible unit kahit na nasa fetus stage palang ang 1080p contents.   

some people say that getting TVs with HDMI will future-proof your TV, which is a good thing considering the cost of the investment...kaso, the technology is really evolving at the moment...major makers are exerting every effort to fix the inherent flaws of LCDs and Plasmas while making their manufacturing process as cost-efficient as reasonably possible,  tapos, the likes of Canon and Hitachi are developing even promisingly better flat panel technology (SED).   so in my opinion, future-proofed HDTV is quite a fuzzy idea at the moment...kaya just enjoy your current HDTV while you can.

Yes, basically you can only appreciate the difference in resolution of panels kung mas malaki ang TV mo.  For instance, 2M pixels panels start from size 37V...sa Sony that would be 40V dahil nga mas mura ang production cost ng Samsung and they can manage to produce 40V sized panels at the same cost as 37V panels of Sharp.   sa Japan, ang marketing strategy nila (dahil sa liit ng living rooms dito) is that you can watch daw a 2M panel from a minimum distance of about 1.5 meters and still appreciate the wonder of sharp, clear, and clean high resolution broadcast.  but who the hell would allow their children to watch that near on a 37 inch TV or bigger ne???  ako nga if I stay about 2m away from my 32 inch Sharp sumasakit na ulo ko (dahil na rin siguro sa edad). 

yung apparent difference between an HD broadcast shown on a 1MP and 2MP panel is that you get more horizontal angle of view when you watch on a 2MP.   medyo lumiliit ang tao syempre dahil sa widening.  in effect, the current HD standard 1080i signals gets cropped on a 1MP panel, but that's no big deal really because you wouldn't actually know the scenes you're missing unless you have a 1MP and 2MP TVs placed side by side in your viewing room.

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jun 18, 2006 at 07:00 AM »
Now i know bakit mahal ang V Series.

It is because of this WEGA Engine.

I saw the demo at Park Square how the WEGA Engine works - it digitally enhances DVD Source and Analog Broadcast
making the picture look near HD Quality.  :o

I saw the S Series on DVD Source and angsama talaga ng picture.

The same with the Samsung R71 Series. DVD Source has awful PQ.

Offline notarius

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2006 at 09:30 PM »
I've done a side-by-side comparison of the Bravia V series with Pixelplus 2.  Pixelplus 2 appeared to have better PQ.

Offline fong

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2006 at 10:11 PM »
nels76,

really you find the PQ of the Samsung R71 lousy? what size did you see? kasi i noticed that iba iba yung contrast ratio...

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 19, 2006 at 08:11 AM »
I've done a side-by-side comparison of the Bravia V series with Pixelplus 2.  Pixelplus 2 appeared to have better PQ.

Hi, this is interesting, I would like to see it myself because Im inclined to the Philips pixel plus 2 but I have not found a shop that could show me side by side comparison. Where did you see them? How about price difference?

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jun 19, 2006 at 12:09 PM »
nels76,

really you find the PQ of the Samsung R71 lousy? what size did you see? kasi i noticed that iba iba yung contrast ratio...

Yup. Jaggy on DVD Source (so this is now irregardless of Tint and Contrast Ratio).
Go to Automatic Center near Glorietta Foodcourt. The 32-inch R71 Series was connected to
a DVD Source (This was the set-up last evening of June 16). Fast and the Furious ang Film. The DVD Player is the one which is bundled
with Samsung LCD TV.

The Hitachi LCD TV on the left (if you are facing the Samsung) has even a better PQ (on DVD Source also).
Then I asked the Salesman "Bakit iyong Hitachi sa tabi mas-maganda PQ pero DVD Source din naman?".
Then the Salesman said "Kasi Animated po eh. Mas-less grain kapag Animated".
I believed in the salesman at that moment.

Then at the Sony Center at Park Square, the Bravia V Series has a better PQ on DVD Source.
I was surprised to witness this because I still rememebr Samsung's PQ. Then the Dealer said that this is because of the WEGA Engine.

Nothing against Samsng bro. Actually there promo is very tempting.
Trade-in a working/non-working TV and get a P10k discount plus a home theater pa.

But I was turned off when I saw the PQ on the DVD Source. On HD Source, ok naman.
This made me reconsider the Bravia V Series.

On another note,

I am getting interested in this Philips Pixel Plus 2 on how it compares to BRAVIA V Series.

Offline bigfleet

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #20 on: Jun 22, 2006 at 04:47 PM »
hi everybody,

recentyly bought a sony bravia KLV-S32A10, its our first lcd or even bigscreen tv.  i know maybe its not the best for its price but here are the factors deciding my choice.

its a sony - made in japan, for whatever its worth
bought for 99k,  12mos to pay at sony megamall
add 5k and you have a DAV-dz120k starter home theater system thats highly rated by asia.cnet.com
so for 105k, we have a good 32"lcdtv (from asia.cnet.com the tv rated average by the editors but scored good with the users) and a good home theater system to enjoy all the dvds movies and ps2 games immediately.

the samsung 32r71, also priced at 99k.  i only miss the PIP and mybe the higher contrast ration vs the bravia.  the free cellphone.  i have to sell it to make use of it, sana home theater nalang din para magamit agad.

IMHO for Php100,000.00:  sony package vs samsung package;  sony wins
                                          sony tv vs samsung tv; feature for feature the samsung tv is better (nearly v-bravia spec) 

just my thoughts

Offline fong

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jun 23, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
actually you could have also added 5k to get the HTiB.

Offline bigfleet

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jun 23, 2006 at 02:11 PM »
ye just found out last night at sm appliances/vmall. im a little sad.

the better home theather system and yun "made in japan" tag nalang ace ko.  if necessary hoping also for a good aftersales service from sony phils.

hope the bravia will still be in peak condition (no dimness or other lose of video/audio quality),   and after 2 years then bili ulit.

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 18, 2006 at 06:43 AM »
Just learned last night from Ansons (beside landmark) that the Sony Bravia S2 Series is about to arrive.

The units will be displayed at the last week of July.

The 32-inch S2 is priced at 109,000.
This series has the Bravia Engine and HDMI.

Now I have to see how this compare visually with the V Series.

Offline bigfleet

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2006 at 09:54 PM »
saw the new bravia at abensons.  S32A20 ata model number

"bravia engine, sony panel, hdmi input etc"

as previously reported its ph109,000.

but its "made in malaysia"

Offline nels76

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jul 27, 2006 at 10:00 AM »
Made in Malaysia? Yikes.

The V and S Series are Made in Japan kaya siguro Mahal.

Offline 24bit

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2006 at 11:26 PM »
Correct just so it today. Made in Malaysia but Japan pa rin daw parts.

By the way Hitachi was priced at 110K 32 inch with free DVD Video Camcoder worth 42K at 18 months tempting din, Made in Japan.

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #27 on: Sep 24, 2006 at 05:46 AM »
The PS3 will be using HDMI 1.3 "Deep Color"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#HDMI_1.3

What is wrong with the Sony Color?

I am planning to get the 32" which is priced at 159k. The model is KLV-V32A10
http://www.sony.com.ph/wega/detail.asp?product_id=911&cat_id=3&subcat_id=29&subcat2_id=0

May HDMI input na yon.

Getting ready for HD Gaming experience.

Will that Sony Bravia be compatible with Sony PS3's HDMI Out?

Offline t3nity

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 24, 2006 at 09:51 AM »
hi everybody,

recentyly bought a sony bravia KLV-S32A10, its our first lcd or even bigscreen tv. i know maybe its not the best for its price but here are the factors deciding my choice.

its a sony - made in japan, for whatever its worth
bought for 99k, 12mos to pay at sony megamall
add 5k and you have a DAV-dz120k starter home theater system thats highly rated by asia.cnet.com
so for 105k, we have a good 32"lcdtv (from asia.cnet.com the tv rated average by the editors but scored good with the users) and a good home theater system to enjoy all the dvds movies and ps2 games immediately.

the samsung 32r71, also priced at 99k. i only miss the PIP and mybe the higher contrast ration vs the bravia. the free cellphone. i have to sell it to make use of it, sana home theater nalang din para magamit agad.

IMHO for Php100,000.00: sony package vs samsung package; sony wins
 sony tv vs samsung tv; feature for feature the samsung tv is better (nearly v-bravia spec)

just my thoughts

I think you forgot this samsung package.

Samsung LCD TV la32s71b (This is the Sonoma series.  The specs are likely the same as the r71 Bordeaux series.  The difference between these two are the Contrast ratio.  S71 = 3000:1, R71 = 5000:1.  Di masyado noticeable.  Besides, ayaw ko rin ng medyo high contrast when watching.  Medyo nakakasilaw kasi when it comes to lcd kaya i usually lower it down pa)

I bought this one at around 89,900 pesos.

Package includes
21" Samsung Slimfit CRT TV
Wall Bracket
HT - Q20 Home Theater

Sold the samsung slimfit tv for 10k so parang 79,900 lang ang kuha ko sa LCD.  If i am going to sell the HT bababa pa yan.  Pero i decided to keep it. 

Plus here is the main reason why i get it as fast as i can.  Its 24 mos. Zero Interest.  So that's not too much too handle.

:D

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #29 on: Sep 24, 2006 at 03:55 PM »
mga sir,

dito sa thailand bagsak presyo na rin ang mga lcd tv's. ang sony bravia V40 ay 100k baht nalang (1 baht = 1.35 pesos). pero para yatang made in thailand na to kasi yun ang nakita ko sa rear sticker ng isang unit. pic quality imho is the same as japan made units. gusto ko sanang mag uwi pero takot ako sa biyahe baka masira. very tempting talaga to.