Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 538860 times)

Offline oReOsHaKe

• Trade Count: (+642)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #1020 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 12:32 PM »
Sir, what do you mean by "na-awa" - is it overheating? I'm trying to decide on getting either the 606 or 705, medyo malaki rin kasi yung mga speakers ko - i'll get the 705 kung hirap yung 606 .... can't wait for the 706, na-compromise ko na kasi to sell my 601 from one of the forum members.

You might want to read this:

705 vs 606
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2008 at 12:32 PM by oReOsHaKe »
DALI OPTICON 8 : Zensor : Polk Audio F/XiA4 : ONKYO 5010 : OPPO BDP-103 : Panny AE8000 : Dual PB1000

Offline darkwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1021 on: Sep 27, 2008 at 08:33 PM »
hmmm i don't think i can live without the Audyssey function, on the other hand, 90W vs 100W eeep, tough choice, yeah baka ma overheat ang amp at high volume kaya i set the max volume sa AVR at a pretty low range lols

Offline lakambini

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1022 on: Oct 04, 2008 at 04:19 PM »
Gentlemen,

Does the 606 accepts banana plugs in its speaker terminlas?  also, whta is the maximum wire gauge that the unit can accommodate?  tnx

Offline gisan925

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1023 on: Oct 11, 2008 at 10:43 PM »
Gentlemen,

Does the 606 accepts banana plugs in its speaker terminlas?  also, whta is the maximum wire gauge that the unit can accommodate?  tnx

yes. the 606 accepts banana plugs. max wire gauge i dont know. :) :)
Onkyo875 PV80 MA RS6  BD55 Pio610 RA03 Azur 640C Yaqin MC10T

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1024 on: Oct 14, 2008 at 10:16 AM »
sir,

any idea how much will be the price of the new 706?

Offline cardinalrich

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Onkyo SR705
« Reply #1025 on: Oct 18, 2008 at 09:04 AM »
705 users,

With the price drop of the 705, I am lining up the 705 for a serious consideration  versus 606 and Denon 1909.  Are there any issues other than the lip-sync issue?  And how did the 705 users address these other issues?

TIA for any replies.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2008 at 04:52 PM by cardinalrich »

Offline cardinalrich

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1026 on: Oct 19, 2008 at 09:26 AM »
sir,

any idea how much will be the price of the new 706?

Price of 706 is about PhP46K.

Offline joepaps

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1027 on: Oct 20, 2008 at 08:18 AM »
On sale 705 last 4 units, Special price!@ theaterworks. ;D
pm me cash price sir.

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1028 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 02:40 PM »
mga sir,

is it wiser to have my 606 powercord replaced by a higher quality powercord or just leave it as it is since the powercord is attached to the back of the amplifier?

Offline yakisoba

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1029 on: Oct 21, 2008 at 09:13 PM »
how much na 705 ngayon?

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #1030 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 09:11 AM »
how much na 705 ngayon?

not sure if mayron pa mga AV store nito now, you might want to consider the newer 706. suggest you pm our suki AV store  ;)

Offline drei_

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
onkyo 606
« Reply #1031 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 03:06 PM »
mga sir pa comment nmn onkyo 606
, ok ba to?
yamaha 657
mission m74i
mission m73
Playstation3
hitachi
B&W

Offline bono vox

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: onkyo 606
« Reply #1032 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 04:50 PM »
for me... get the 806 or the 876... wala ng palitan yan.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline drei_

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1033 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 07:42 PM »
masyado mahal sir wala sa budget ang type ko tlga yung 875 kaso di kaya... hehe!
tnx sir... solve ako sa subs mo..
yamaha 657
mission m74i
mission m73
Playstation3
hitachi
B&W

Offline bono vox

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1034 on: Oct 22, 2008 at 09:40 PM »
keep mo lang muna yamaha mo, tapos ipon pa ng konti, pandagdag sa kahit yung 806 puwede na... para wala ng upgrading.  :D
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2008 at 09:40 PM by bono vox »

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1035 on: Oct 24, 2008 at 11:52 AM »

ONKYO TX-SR606    7.1-High Definition Receiver

For
Vigorous and exciting sound; full-house specification; exemplary menus and set-up

Against
Can get a little abrasive when played at antisocial volumes

It’s an indication of how comfortably the Award-winning Onkyo TX-SR605 led the £400-ish receiver pack that its replacement, this TX-SR606, was the subject of rabid speculation on the whathifi.com forums for almost two months earlier in 2008.

Anticipation was reaching fever pitch by the time we got our hands on an example, and as it's five-star First Test demonstrated, it may not be another huge leap forward but the ’606 receiver is still mightily impressive.

The TX-SR606 grabs your attention from the off with its brutal looks, comprehensive specification (four HDMI inputs should be sufficient for even the most expansive system) and, most significantly, the absolutely barnstorming nature of its sound.

It’s a simple device to get the best from – on-screen menus are clear, extensive and a lot nicer than the Denon AVR-1909 equivalents, the remote control (reworked since the demise of the ’605) is logical and not overloaded, and the mic-driven set-up is reasonably quick and precise.

Bags of boom for your buck
Everything admirable about the Onkyo is reiterated in the first few minutes of our I Am Legend Blu-ray. In terms of sheer dynamic clout, the Onkyo can’t be touched by its rivals – it can make you leap out of your seat with the sudden intensity of its attack.

Generating a big, well-defined soundstage, the ’606 steers effects nimbly, separates and integrates dialogue well, and simply slams through low-frequency stuff.

None of this is at the expense of finesse, though, and the Onkyo can tickle the hair on the back of your neck in a tense, quiet scene just as effectively as it can clip you ’round the ear during a big action set-piece.

It’s just as exciting with non-HD multichannel audio or stereo music. There’s no doubt the ’606 can become a tad brash in extremis, the top of the frequency range becoming clamorous if you’re really pushing on, and this is a trait that’s been made more obvious by the Denon AVR-1909’s greater body and richer tonality.

But if, above anything, it’s full-on movie thrills you want, you won’t spend £400 more effectively than this.

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1036 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 02:09 PM »
Reviewed By HomeCinemaChoice From TechRadar Website

The world's hottest AV receiver has had a facelift.

After breathing new life into the moribund AVR market with the TX-SR605 last year, Onkyo has returned with a sequel product, the £400 TX-SR606.

This Onkyo receiver is one of the relatively few affordable receivers able to decode DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks from a Blu-ray disc

Familiar styling

A cursory glance would indicate that there's little real difference between the two models, so what's new? Well, certainly not the look of the receiver, which I must confess to not being that enamoured with.

The angular fascia and the impossibly small buttons with unreadable labels make me want to hide it away in a cupboard.

Our review model was black, but a silver option is also available.

New features

What is all new for 2008 is 1080i upscaling, two more HDMI sockets, and Dynamic EQ tech. This year's remote control is completely different, too.

It's not a learning remote and there's no fancy LCD display on it, but it is well designed and can control other Onkyo components. And, now that the company has introduced equipment control using the HDMI CEC protocol (dubbed here RIHD), it should be able to control a range of other kit.

Panny's VieraLink, Toshiba's RegzaLink, Samsung's Anynet+ and select Sharp's TVs are all compatible when laced up via HDMI.

Impressive connectivity

Connectability is very good for the price point; the four HDMI inputs give you the same flexibility that you would enjoy on a higher-end receiver.

They can all pass through a 1080p signal and handle uncompressed multichannel audio, including DSD from a Super Audio CD player.

There's no Ethernet port or USB inputs, though, so you can forget about any networking or multimedia playback functionality. That's reserved for Onkyo's higher-priced flagships.

Simple interface

Ease of use is better on the 606 over the 605. Onkyo has significantly improved its GUI.

It's perhaps not quite as flashy as Sony's receiver interface, or as intuitive as Denon's, but the new icons and larger text size make the initial setup procedure a lot more user-friendly.

You can, of course, skip complex manual calibration altogether if you use the Audyssey auto setup feature. Just plug in the supplied microphone, position it in your favourite chair and start the audio test.

The Onkyo will set its own speaker level and delay times. All you have to choose is how you want to allocate the seven speakers.

If you have a 5.1 system, the spare rear surround channels could even be used to drive a stereo pair in another zone, although I would always recommend matching the box with a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker package.

6.1 surround sound

The TX-SR606 seemed happy driving my 6.1-channel cinema, sending plenty of oomph to each Miller & Kreisel speaker.

It's rated at an optimistic 140W per channel into 6 Ohms , but in our Tech Labs, we measured the receiver's real world output at 122W in two-channel mode, dropping to just 38W with five channels driven (at 8 Ohms).

That may sound low, but it's actually a slight improvement on the SR605, and don't forget that this is a £400 amp.

Dynamic performance

That said, it has enough transient power to deliver the bombastic sound effects of Blood Diamond on Blu-ray with the same comparative detail of its predecessor.

It's a brash, exciting amplifier that's tuned for fine detail and bass thump. It therefore makes short shrift of modern movie soundtracks, as long as you don't try and crank it up much, as which point it becomes a bit breathless.

Just flick to a chapter on Blood Diamond to hear how well this AVR handles short, sharp bursts of gunfire.

A less dynamic amplifier would have trouble convincing your speakers to make such sound effects convincing, but here there's enough rampant power to really feel the impact.

The metallic click of the reload will probably make you jump, too.

Broad soundstage

The ocean-deep bass and crunchy treble manage to convey a broad musical soundstage too, but I feel the lack of mid-range expression and muscle extension prevents this receiver from sounding like a true hi-fi amplifier.

Vocals and acoustic instruments just don't have the depth of the models higher-up the range. The SR606 is better suited to rock and dance music, and action movies, than classical music and costume dramas.

But then you do a reality check and remember this is basically an entry-level product; somehow it just feels like it should be compared to stock much richer. And that I guess is the ultimate compliment.

DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD

Using HDMI as the primary input, there's little this model can't accomplish. I was very impressed by its performance when it took an uncompressed DSD stream from a Super Audio CD via HDMI from my 80GB PlayStation 3.

It's also still one of the relatively few affordable receivers able to decode DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks from a Blu-ray disc.

The 606 will signpost the jump in clarity and bass extension when you switch from regular 5.1 mixes to their higher-res cousins. Try Chapter 3 on Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Ultimate Edition and select the DTS-HD MA track to hear for yourself.

Excellent EQ

As well as extending the bass notes lower as the alien ship hums overhead, making everything resonate, the sound effects seem supremely well-placed to put you in the centre of the action.

The main new tech running throughout Onkyo's 2008 AVR range is Audyssey Dynamic EQ. This clever audio processing maintains the dynamic range of a soundtrack, even when the volume is lowered.

Normally, when the level drops, LFE and ambiance vanishes. Dynamic EQ does a great job of maintaining the balance.

Onboard scaler

The onboard scaler is also intriguing. While it doesn't upscale to 1080p, it does make a decent fist of building up SD images to 1080 lines and a better one of making 720p images.

If you don't have better upscaling at source, perhaps in a Freeview box or standard Sky receiver, it's a worthwhile addition to the feature roster.

Of course, it's rare for a DVD player not to have its own scaler these days too, and again, the only way to find out which component is the best at upscaling is to compare them.

I discovered that my Denon DVD-1910 did a better job of turning 576 lines into 1080 than the Onkyo, but the Onkyo was certainly better at it than an older Samsung player, which caused blocking and softness.

Of course, if you have a 1080p source, you can simply pass this straight through without any scaling, thanks to the latest HDMI 1.3a ports. And with four of these to choose from you're fairly well future-proofed.

Improved performance

By adding a scaler, Dynamic EQ, two extra HDMI ports, and improving the power output (albeit slightly) Onkyo has crammed enough inside the SR606 to bring it bang up-to-date.

The danger was always that this could push the features-to-performance ratio out of whack and compromise the Onkyo's audio prowess.

Fortunately hasn't happened. The chassis, outward design and most of the internal electronics seem exactly the same.

Better than the original?

As I've said, the sonic balance is geared toward action movies and in-your-face soundtracks, which it handles very well, lending real impact to explosions and picking out treble detail in complicated mixes.

It's not the most refined sound, but its dynamic and direct approach will certainly have wide appeal. And there's no doubting this box of tricks is extraordinary value.

In short, this is one sequel that I suspect will do even better business than the original.

For

>Good connectivity with plenty of HDMI sockets

>Much improved GUI

>Dynamic EQ

Against

>Not a powerhouse when all channels are driven

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2008 at 12:36 PM by lakambini »

Offline gisan925

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1037 on: Nov 01, 2008 at 04:46 PM »
i have this awesome avr! perfect match for my paradigm cinema 110ct speakers. great sound for music and movies as well! :)
Onkyo875 PV80 MA RS6  BD55 Pio610 RA03 Azur 640C Yaqin MC10T

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1038 on: Nov 02, 2008 at 05:59 PM »
know any place that sell mas murang 706 or 606?  I'm planning to upgrade my sound setup and moving in a 50sq meter condo ... what do u guys suggest I get?  the amplifier will be placed sa living room - - kaya di ganun ka lakas ang sounds.  Be using them for watching movies (popcorn hour) and playing video games (PS3, XBOX 360 and Wii).   

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1039 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:09 PM »
sir gisan925,

i agree with you, contrary to some reviews, i found this amp to be a very musical amplifier.  truth is it can make you distinguish excellent recordings from the bad ones.  use it only in stereo w/ b&w dm302 - great soundstage ::) , just make sure that the speakers are spaced properly ( at least 5 feet apart ).

ipon pa to complete my ht speakers.

sir drei,

update naman jan  :)

Offline samlowry

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1040 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 01:22 PM »
Hello guys,

I'm setting up my ht  and I'm thinking of upgrading my 6 year old yamaha avr to one that supports hdmi, truehd and all the stuff I'm currently unfamiliar with.  will this take full advantage of the panasonic bd55/35's audio features?  I was just planning to connect it via optical.

can anyone explain in layman's terms what a 350+ usd amp like the onkyo 606 can't do that a 1k ++ avr (876) can? thanks.

which shop carries onkyo?  thanks.
Panasonic 58pz800u and BD55
Onkyo 876
Ps3/Xbox360
Dynaudio 6.1

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1041 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 10:53 PM »
guys just wondering would the sound better from my B&W 684s if i change my Onkyo 606 to an 806? thanks!

Offline yakisoba

• Collector
  • Let The Games Begin!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1042 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 12:35 AM »
sir i'm planning to buy an ONKY 606 sa states via AMAZON papadala ko na lang via Balikbayan Box (is it advisable?) anyway To all ONKYO 606 owners out there do u guys know the box dimension of the ONKYO 606 ... be asking my friend to put it kasi sa balikbayan box and medyo limitedd na kasi yung space. I checked Amazon and the product dimension is:  14.8 x 17.1 x 6.9 inches ; 24.9 pounds.  Do u guys know the box size.  Thanks in advance. 

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1043 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 05:36 AM »
Upgraded my 804 with 875 all for a $500 =) gotta love my employee discount.

I just have to take this 875 to the nearest service center for there new firmware upgrade.
Format neutral

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1044 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 10:15 PM »
guys just wondering would the sound better from my B&W 684s if i change my Onkyo 606 to an 806? thanks!

Although I haven't actually tried Onkyo 806 + B&W 684, I'm pretty sure your 684 will benefit from the added power. The higher the power, the better your 684 will sound since B&W are known power hungry speakers.  Of course, you have to audition it yourself to hear if the degree of improvement justifies the added costs.  If you're satisfied with 606 so be it.  I've heard 606 with 684 and it sounds very good already.

Btw, for whatever it's worth, you might be interested to know that reviewers use Onkyo 805 with B&W 685 http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/208bwonk/index.html and Onkyo 875+power amps http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/108bw/index4.html with B&W 683.  Again, audition to hear if there is any improvement to your ears and if the improvement is worth the added costs.  Good luck!

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1045 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 11:16 PM »
thanks for the reply sir, problem is mahirap mag audition ng ganyan dito  ??? huhu

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1046 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 10:39 AM »
EXCLUSIVE REVIEW: Onkyo TX-SR606 builds on Award-winning success Andrew Everard 03 May 2008 07:00

Well, we did promise to put our test of the brand-new Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver up on line just as soon as we could - so here, after two days and three nights of listening, is what we think.

Onkyo TX-SR606
Surround sound receiver
£400
5 stars

For All the ability of the TX-SR605, plus much more flexibility
Against Still not the most musical receiver; styling still a matter of taste
Verdict Take an Award-winning bargain, bolt on lots more features without affecting the sound, and keep the price the same: the ‘606 is a steal'

The term ‘eagerly awaited’ is so overused in hi-fi circles these days as to be all but meaningless. Every new pair of speakers, amplifier or – dare we say it – mains cable gets hyped up with claims of anticipation which would do justice to the Second Coming, and if you believed the PR people, you’d imaging people queuing around the block to grab the first units into the shops.

But since news broke of the impending arrival of the Onkyo TX-SR606, the replacement for last year’s What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision Award-winning – and best-selling – TX-SR605, it seems people have been tying themselves in knots searching websites for the smallest nugget of information.

What’s more, they’ve been seeking out retailers willing to take their hard-earned plastic to secure one as soon as possible, and keeping the website Forums abuzz with discussions of where they can find one.

Risky business
That looked to us like a risky business. After all, this wouldn’t be the first time a manufacturer had replaced a cracking product with a so-so successor. And all the fuss being made seems to have taken Onkyo somewhat by surprise; the people at the UK office just couldn’t believe why we were so eager to get hold of a sample and test it as soon as possible.

Well, the long and the short of it is that the product we’re reviewing here was bought, with our own money, from a friendly local retailer.

Anyway, enough of the back-story – the ‘606 is here, and first impressions are that it looks just like the ‘605, which won’t please those who find the Onkyo aesthetic somewhat challenging. Or ‘pig-ugly’, as they usually put it.

The new stuff is almost all hidden under the skin, but the obvious changes are the four HDMI 1.3a inputs on the newcomer, against the two HDMI sockets on the old model, and a much more ergonomic remote control in place of the somewhat ‘bricky’ old one.

The receiver also now does RIHD – remote control via the HDMI link –, with Onkyo claiming compatibility with Panasonic’s Viera Link, Toshiba’s RegzaLink and selected Sharp Aquos Link products. That means the remote can, in theory at least, drive an entire system via HDMI links; it also has a preprogrammed remote, able to control a large range of other components.

All of that should make the new model easier to use and more flexible, especially in a world where there are increasing numbers of products with HDMI outputs, all needing to be switched and fed to a TV or projector. And Onkyo could probably have left the revamped model at that, kept the price at £400, and still had a top-seller – after all, sales of the TX-SR605 showed no signs of flagging.

The good news is that the engineers haven’t left well alone – for those obsessed with specification, they’ve thrown a whole load more new ‘stuff’ onto the product. And for those of us looking for genuinely useful features, there’s still plenty to appeal.

Same power
The simplest thing would be a bit more power, always attractive for those who like to play the numbers game. OK, so you take the power figures on products like this with a pinch of salt, as they’re usually quoted in the most flattering way possible, but the new model in fact delivers exactly the same output as the old one: it’s claimed at 7x140W, but actually delivers something like 90W all round when the figures are quoted against meaningful parameters of frequency response, impedance and distortion.

And like the TX-SR605, the new model can also be switched, when in a 5.1-channel system, to biamp suitable speakers on the front left and right channels; this is done by reassigning the rear surround channel amps.

There’s still the Onkyo Wide-Range Amplifier Technology, a feature of the company’s products for many years, and Audyssey 2EQ automatic set-up and calibration, meaning you need only plug in a microphone and press a button to have the receiver run a set of test-tones and adjust speaker delay and level to suit your room and speaker positioning.

Better sound at low levels
What’s new in the improved version of 2EQ found here, however, is another bit of Audyssey technology, Dynamic EQ: this adjusts the equalisation, and thus the frequency response, and the surround level, so you get more convincing results when playing the system at low levels without having to set the rear channels so high that they’re obtrusive when playing much louder.

Also added on the audio side is a new Music Optimiser, designed to make more of compressed music played into the receiver from an MP3 player, or from an iPod via Onkyo’s DS-A1x or DS-A2x docks. This works by enhancing the higher frequencies usually lost in compression, thus giving a more open balance.

As with the TX-SR605, the new arrival is able to receive and decode all the current surround sound formats, including the HD flavours of DTS and Dolby Digital, as well as accepting LPCM from players unable to output native bitstreams, and DSD should you have an SACD player able to output this (such as the PS3 or Oppo’s DV-980H).

But the main event on the new receiver is the introduction of video upscaling, even though the specification freaks will moan that it's only to 720p/1080i. The receiver will pass a 1080p signal, for example from Blu-ray players and the like, though ‘as is’, but will also upconvert and upscale lesser formats and resolutions.

The big question, though, is how the Onkyo performs. Has adding on all this functionality while maintaining the price had an impact on the sound quality? Is the video upscaling and upconverting capability worth having, or just a marketing feature? Or has Onkyo turned what was a serious home cinema bargain into an absolute steal?

Well, the simple answer is that, for all the extra ‘stuff’, the new Onkyo sounds every bit as good as the old one. In fact, it sounds identical, as you might expect given that the specification of the amplification section is the same.

Powerhouse receiver
And that’s good news all the way down the line, meaning that the TX-SR606 is a real powerhouse of a receiver for the money, capable of slamming out everything from the airport chase sequence in Casino Royale to the bombardment in Letters from Iwo Jima with real room-shaking thump, provided your speakers can hack it. At the same time it has all the openness and finesse required to make even small effects clear, and sometimes startling, and keep dialogue crystal clear.

There’s never the sense of everything being thrown at you that’s sometimes apparent with lesser receivers; instead, the Onkyo manages to combine an enveloping soundfield with superb effects steering and plenty of bite.

And that Dynamic EQ works superbly, too: it's totally unobtrusive when you're playing the receiver at serious volume levels, but when you back off a bit there's none of that diminution of excitement or sense of envelopment. The system is subtle, but very definitely effective - and much better than those often crude 'midnight' modes you find on many receivers.

If there’s a ‘but’, it’s that this isn't the most musical amplifier you can buy, with a slightly brash and bright presentation across a range of musical style. But then that’s par for the course for AV receivers at this level, and was certainly true of the TX-SR605, too, so it’s no real cause for criticism.

If you want a receiver that’ll mainly be used for watching Blu-rays, DVDs or TV, or hooking up to a games console, the 606 will serve you every bit as well as the did the 605, while still being perfectly respectable for the occasional blast of music.

Useful scaler
The scaler is a worthwhile addition for those without an exclusive diet of Blu-ray discs and Sky HD: it’s not as good as the amazing Reon HQV system in the TX-SR875, which after all costs 150% more, but it is more than adequate when it comes to upscaling standard definition TV broadcasts and DVDs for viewing on a plasma or LCD screen.

We found it works extremely well with standard definition video, such as that from DVD – it won’t fool you you’re watching ‘proper’ HD material, but it does process the signal without any obvious signs of all the adding up, taking away and multiplying by your birthday that'’s going on under the hood.

We really pushed it to the limits by running a Blu-ray player down to 480p and feeding it in through the Onkyo’s component video inputs; while the results would never fool anyone they were watching full 1080p, the picture is pretty respectable, even when run onto our huge main viewing screen via a top-notch projector.

So, the sum-up is this: if you were expecting us to say that the new Onkyo receiver is better in every way, you’re going to be disappointed. If, however, you’re happy with the fact that it sounds every bit as good as the model it replaces, and has added functionality and flexibility, then you’ll understand why we say that the TX-SR606 is an even better buy than its Award-winning predecessor.

« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2008 at 12:54 PM by lakambini »

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1047 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 11:09 AM »
Hello guys,

I'm setting up my ht  and I'm thinking of upgrading my 6 year old yamaha avr to one that supports hdmi, truehd and all the stuff I'm currently unfamiliar with.  will this take full advantage of the panasonic bd55/35's audio features?  I was just planning to connect it via optical.

can anyone explain in layman's terms what a 350+ usd amp like the onkyo 606 can't do that a 1k ++ avr (876) can? thanks.

which shop carries onkyo?  thanks.

The 876 has:

1.  better video processing power
2.  better audio (more power)
3.  better flexibility (pre-outs)

It's good to aim for the best, but it is more better to know your priorities.  You don't want to pay for the extra bells and whistles that you won't use anytme soon.

Hope this helps.

Offline milken

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1048 on: Nov 06, 2008 at 03:40 PM »
thanks for the reply sir, problem is mahirap mag audition ng ganyan dito  ??? huhu

Oo nga e.. kakaunti lang at bihira stocks ng higher end receivers dito.  Try to coordinate with AV stores that have demo units of B&W in store like SGT.  From time to time, they have new stocks of Onkyo 805/875.  So timing lang.  Good luck!

Offline lakambini

• DVD Addict
  • I AM
  • Liked:
« Reply #1049 on: Nov 07, 2008 at 12:59 PM »
Dear Onkyo TX-SR606 Owners:

Please share your experience with this remarkable receiver.